Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 04-26-2019, 04:41 AM   #721
Eliseat
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Alright. I prefixed Saike to them now.

Glad you like 'em. And I'm honored haha

That compressor is bound to go into Squashman (pre-saturation/distortion), albeit in a somewhat simplified form. And maybe with or without an expander too. I'm still working out whether to simplify it a bit and if so, how. It seems a bit cumbersome to have to set attack, decay, threshold and ratio for every band that has a compressor enabled on it.

But it's tricky though, because if I don't expose all the settings, I'd be limiting the user quite a bit in terms of what he or she can do. If I do expose the settings, it's quite a bit of knobs and soon we'll have cockpit-itis on our hands again. Tricky tricky.

I'd appreciate advice, but maybe it'd be good if I open a separate Squashman thread once I have a prototype
The Tight Compressor is just stunning. It offers such a nice musical character to drums which makes it right away to one of my favorites. Only confusing thing was the ratio starting from 0 and not from 1. Anything else feels really tight and makes a lot of fun.
BUT I downloaded the prefixed versions of your plugins without success. They showed up with Sai'ke prefix in the Reapack window but didn't find their way into the effects list. Still only the old names.

And you are planning to add a compressor to every Squashman band? I'm not sure if this would make much sense as the squashed bands are compressed/limited already if they get saturated. Or what is the idea behind it? (And no, this is not criticizing because I would never dare to do so. )

Many, many thanks for your great JSFX additions. They are very useful to me and share kind of an organic character. I'm one of your biggest fans, Sai'ke. That's for sure.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:03 AM   #722
todd_r

Yes please to expansion, there's not enough about!

Excited for the compressor too, though on my first quick test it did give a sort of quick tremelo/distortion on the synth part I was using

Last edited by todd_r; 04-26-2019 at 05:25 AM.
todd_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:39 AM   #723
sai'ke

Quote:
Only confusing thing was the ratio starting from 0 and not from 1. Anything else feels really tight and makes a lot of fun.
Ah yeah. It won't be in Squashman. There I will have custom UI elements that start at 1

Quote:
BUT I downloaded the prefixed versions of your plugins without success. They showed up with Sai'ke prefix in the Reapack window but didn't find their way into the effects list. Still only the old names.
Strange. Even after a REAPER reset? Or F5 plugin list refresh?
Maybe I messed something up with Reapack, I'll have a look when I get home.

Quote:
And you are planning to add a compressor to every Squashman band? I'm not sure if this would make much sense as the squashed bands are compressed/limited already if they get saturated. Or what is the idea behind it? (And no, this is not criticizing because I would never dare to do so. )
As pre-compression it would allow different types of saturation being hit depending on the compressor. Like, you could let a short attack spike through which then ends up distorting differently in the band specific distortions (it's not just saturation in there, but also stuff like wavefolding or crossover distortion, all quite sensitive to gain).

Post saturation compression could help sculpt the output and get some attack back after first squeezing it giving some more envelope control.

Anyways, I have to experiment with it and see how it works. Maybe that idea will be axed.

Alternatively, I could simply put the Filther envelopes on the drive parameter in Squashman... hmmmmmm...

Quote:
Many, many thanks for your great JSFX additions. They are very useful to me and share kind of an organic character. I'm one of your biggest fans, Sai'ke. That's for sure.

Quote:
Excited for the compressor too, though on my first quick test it did give a sort of quick tremelo/distortion on the synth part I was using
Yeah, I've noticed that the peak detection can be too jumpy on bassy content when the attack is very low.

Quote:
Yes please to expansion, there's not enough about!
Old 04-26-2019, 10:01 PM   #724
Eliseat

Okay, F5 did the trick.

Many thanks. Now everything feels cheerful again. And I'm still impressed how nice your little side project, Tight Compressor, sounds. Just the right amount of character from tight to thumbed and squashed. Lovely.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:27 AM   #725
todd_r

Quote:
Yeah, I've noticed that the peak detection can be too jumpy on bassy content when the attack is very low.
I've been testing it out more, I think I must have jsut had super low attack release settings.

It def does 'tight' really well, very nice pushy/pully movement, not too bland like some software compressors.
todd_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:24 AM   #726
beingmf

1) how f***ing great is Filther now - unbelieveable!

2) the Tight Compressor is a miracle on drums, too. Thanks so much! I just used it on an acoustic guitar track though, and something's not right. Either it needs a HPF in the sidechain or a little softer decay, I don't know really. Smaller Atk/Rel times* result in jittery compression.
* are those numbers (ms) correct? It feels like they're rather on a μs scale.

3) there's a bug in the (amazing sounding) MS-20 filter emu: when Type is set to "HP" and OTA to "tanh", the filter turns into a LP.

Last edited by beingmf; 04-27-2019 at 08:15 AM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:14 AM   #727
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
2) ...
* are those numbers (ms) correct? It feels like they're rather on a μs scale. ...
Yes, that was my thought too. It seems like 40 ms in Tight Compressor feels like 4 ms in other compressors.
And yes, its a bit sharp with short attack and release times but I like it. This thing works really aggressive and with its own character. Sai'kes magic!
Old 04-27-2019, 06:50 AM   #728
sai'ke

Quote:
1) how f***ing great is Filther now - unbelieveable!

Quote:
2) the Tight Compressor is a miracle on drums, too. Thanks so much! I just used it on an acoustic guitar track though, and something's now right. Either it needs a HPF in the sidechain or a little softer decay, I don't know really. Smaller Atk/Rel times* result in jittery compression.
* are those numbers (ms) correct? It feels like they're rather on a μs scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Yes, that was my thought too. It seems like 40 ms in Tight Compressor feels like 4 ms in other compressors.
And yes, its a bit sharp with short attack and release times but I like it. This thing works really aggressive and with its own character. Sai'kes magic!
Whoops. Apologies, I messed up. I was indeed off by a factor ten somewhere (or actually a factor five). The risk of doing the 'easy bits' late at night. Thanks for reporting this back to me!

Quote:
I've been testing it out more, I think I must have jsut had super low attack release settings.

It def does 'tight' really well, very nice pushy/pully movement, not too bland like some software compressors.
Should be fixed now. It should still do tight, but not let you go down to levels where you might start distortion the waveform rather than applying compression.

Quote:
3) there's a bug in the (amazing sounding) MS-20 filter emu: when Type is set to "HP" and OTA to "tanh", the filter turns into a LP.
Thanks for the heads up. Should be fixed when you update.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #729
beingmf

Amazing, saike!
One idea: maybe don't change the attack times too much. This 1176-transient-eating thing is great, I just don't see the need for such short release times.
How about a logarithmic scale for Atk?
And a finer resolution?

😘
Old 04-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #730
Eliseat

Quote:
Amazing, saike!
One idea: maybe don't change the attack times too much. This 1176-transient-eating thing is great, I just don't see the need for such short release times.
How about a logarithmic scale for Atk?
And a finer resolution?

😘
This is perfect for mangling loops and also for parallel mode (dry/wet). And what about distortion? Did you try that? And I think Tight Compressor is tight compressor. For me it was even a bummer to see that Sai'ke restricted the decay time to 50. His luck he allowed at least to input lower numbers per hand.

By the way, what keeps you away from just avoid those short times? And strg-drag offers a finer resolution. But a log scale would be great. Of course it would.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #731
Bri1
Banned

hello-is this the right place for filther topic?
anyone seem a little lost?
are we 'there' > yet?
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:39 AM   #732
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
hello-is this the right place for filther topic?
anyone seem a little lost?
are we 'there' > yet?
Finally a post from you which I fully understand.

Yes, the discussion about Squashman and Tight Compressor seems to be in the wrong place. Maybe Sai'ke should open a "General Sai'ke scrips" thread for such things. But he already adverted that he creates new threads if the plugins reach a certain state.

And Filther? At the moment it feels like Filther is maximally packed with features and ideas. I didn't find any bugs. So ... it feels kind of complete.
Maybe I have one suggestion for another filter, but this would be very picky. I just asked my self what a plugin like TSE808 does to clarify any sound in a very pleasant way. Its like printing a sound in 3D and sanding it slightly til it feels organic and old. I don't mean the distortion which the plugin offers. Only the plain routing thru creates this atomized feeling. Really amazing.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:00 AM   #733
Bri1
Banned

? iseem to not understand a word written here..can 1 translate mandarin chinese?
disrespecting users-disrespecting sifu wishes...tsktsk.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:56 AM   #734
Eliseat

No one is disrespecting users. But it seems that one user is disrespecting grammar and punctuation without hesitation. And this user told me - as a German - to look out for other places if I don't understand his "English". So please don't act like a diva if you also aren't a wallflower in that matter. That's all.

Anyway. If you have something to say about Filther, no one keeps you away from doing so. For me Filther is pretty complete. Sai'ke mentioned a step sequencer, what really would make sense because its faster activating/deactivating/scaling blocks then painting them into the envelope editor. But beside that, nearly every aspect about filtering is covered in Filther.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:24 AM   #735
Bri1
Banned

hmm-can any1 read this gibberish?^ something personal about a diva or something...who knows.. pleeeease. topic is filther>?
if no users can find faults in uses-then all is well eh?
have not been looking recent tbh-noticed a bit of glitching last use,but who can complain..?
noti.
+begging is considered a crime on the uk streets>? why do it on a forum>? lolz..
beggers,cannot be 'choosers'>?
Old 04-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #736
sai'ke

Quote:
Maybe I have one suggestion for another filter, but this would be very picky. I just asked my self what a plugin like TSE808 does to clarify any sound in a very pleasant way. Its like printing a sound in 3D and sanding it slightly til it feels organic and old. I don't mean the distortion which the plugin offers. Only the plain routing thru creates this atomized feeling. Really amazing.
I ran it through a dynamics scope and looked at the spectrum of impulse responses at various tone levels and it looks like a combination of a kind of peaky bandpass (~50-1000 at low tone and ~200-5000 at high tone) and a distortion to me (even at no drive). Looks kind of like a compressor curve, but then used as a saturator (without an attack or decay (at least not one I can see on the scope)).

Last edited by sai'ke; 04-28-2019 at 05:08 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #737
daxliniere

Hey, where would I find Tight Compressor, please? Love to test!
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:04 AM   #738
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Hey, where would I find Tight Compressor, please? Love to test!
Hey, it's in the repo. I opened a new thread for the compressor (and the smaller standalone plugs) here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=220277 . It also has direct links
Old 04-29-2019, 04:35 AM   #739
Eliseat

Quote:
I ran it through a dynamics scope and looked at the spectrum of impulse responses at various tone levels and it looks like a combination of a kind of peaky bandpass (~50-1000 at low tone and ~200-5000 at high tone) and a distortion to me (even at no drive). Looks kind of like a compressor curve, but then used as a saturator (without an attack or decay (at least not one I can see on the scope)).

Seems not very special. But it creates an amazing 3D placing effect. Its like pushing a signal back from you with a lot of clarity. Maybe its a psycho acoustic effect. I don't know.

It probably isn't as interesting for Filther as I thought but its nice you checked it with your tools. Did you hear what I meant about it? This strange atomized/pulverized/vaporized distortion? It sounds like 100 tiny layered amounts of distortion. Have no idea how to describe it better.

Anyway. Thanks for taking a look.

And now I will ping pong between your threads.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:36 AM   #740
sai'ke

Quote:
Seems not very special. But it creates an amazing 3D placing effect. Its like pushing a signal back from you with a lot of clarity. Maybe its a psycho acoustic effect. I don't know.

It probably isn't as interesting for Filther as I thought but its nice you checked it with your tools. Did you hear what I meant about it? This strange atomized/pulverized/vaporized distortion? It sounds like 100 tiny layered amounts of distortion. Have no idea how to describe it better.

Anyway. Thanks for taking a look.

And now I will ping pong between your threads.
Hmmm, I haven't looked at any effects on the stereo image. I'll have another look tonight.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #741
foxAsteria

Hi Sai'ke, I've been playing around with colors again, but I can't figure out how to change the background of the dropdown lists. Also, which controls the color of the modulation range on sliders?

I was trying to do a lighter theme, but when I darken the text it disappears in the lists.

Here's where I am rn if anyone has any feedback/requests:

Filthy Brown

Clean Colors

Purple Soda Pop

Also, if you can suggest a way for me to determine the numbers necessary for a particular color in photoshop, I could do a lot more. It's pretty time-consuming the way I'm doing it now (guessing/trial and error).

Ideally I'd like to pick a good palette first and then implement it, instead of just fiddling until it's good enough.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-29-2019 at 02:02 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #742
Bri1
Banned

@foxAsteria-not 2badlad- quite like the differences..some sweeter borders or reskinning might go a long way as well visually..
nature is 1,2,3,4+5d ++ i like 3d-but computers prefere 2d..and seem to struggle expressing naturalness.....agghh! heh

@sai'ke- have you actually made filther available @ the stash? some users may not try reapack etc...>?
+are you still considering future changes like the step sequencer still,or,no?
+is there still a chance of using different shapers on either pos/neg? might be interesting results...
luvit.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #743
Eliseat

Quote:
Hmmm, I haven't looked at any effects on the stereo image. I'll have another look tonight.
Misunderstanding. I didn't mean stereo placing. Just the effect that the sound seems to move more in the background. Like using a gluing compressor.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #744
foxAsteria

Quote:
some sweeter borders..
Thanks. On that note, @Sai'ke, I did want to ask how you'd feel about the borders around the groups being thicker (same as they are when highlighted)? Looks better to my eye and those lines won't blend so much visually with the sliders and text (which all look to be about 1 pixel). It would also make the color more apparent.

I also really like this highlighting feature and somehow never noticed it until now. However I do think it should appear more instantly when hovering the mouse over the buttons.

As it is, I only discovered the feature accidentally when I hovered slightly long with my mouse. It appeared as a flash of bright color that disappeared instantly because I was already moving my mouse away. Very odd at the time...

One more little FR: You know how the buzz machines have the drop shadows? What about doing that with each of the groups and the graphs? I think it would look snazzy and jazz up the background a lil.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-29-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:07 PM   #745
SmajjL

Dayum!* Thank You sai'ke for sharing this man! and sorry i'm late.
2370 packages now, oki.. I have some catching up to do.

Daaaauym

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #746
sai'ke

Hey Fox, cool! I like the light theme.

I can see what I can do regarding the thicker borders (maybe make a toggle that makes it always active for specific themes) and the drop shadows.

What exactly do you need me to do with the listbox?
Just expose the background color?
And the mod-color you need exposed right?

Hopefully I get a chance to work on it tonight.

As for the color in photoshop => color in JSFX, I don't have a good solution, sorry. I used transparency here and there, and while that makes initial stuff easier (since colors automatically match a bit easier with transparency), it makes things like this a lot more messy.

Replies to "other topics" I will do in the workshop thread
Old 04-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #747
Bri1
Banned

awww- noreply..guess it was worth a try..dunno why..but sigh didi...
lol

Old 04-30-2019, 10:18 AM   #748
sai'ke

Quote:
awww- noreply..guess it was worth a try..dunno why..but sigh didi...
lol

Quote:
@sai'ke- have you actually made filther available @ the stash? some users may not try reapack etc...>?
Nope. Maybe in the future.

Quote:
+are you still considering future changes like the step sequencer still,or,no?
The plan is to have a step mode for the envelopes, not a separate step sequencer.

Quote:
+is there still a chance of using different shapers on either pos/neg? might be interesting results...
Nope. I'd have to make a huge mess of the code in order to add this. Not to mention make things slower most likely due to all the extra branching.

Besides, except for the sine one, all shapers you can in principle draw already using the splines.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #749
Bri1
Banned

koolkozmikiconz.. ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ

^pick a point..any point--track it--and try to think interspacially^
ithanku.
thanx4 the filthedimensionz !
Old 04-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #750
foxAsteria

Quote:
What exactly do you need me to do with the listbox?
Just expose the background color?
And the mod-color you need exposed right?
Yea exactly; I thought I'd been able to adjust it in the past but I guess not. But the hilighting I was talking about was the one that highlights the appropriate groups when hovering over the toggle button (should appear more quickly).

Thank you sir!
Old 04-30-2019, 06:24 PM   #751
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Yea exactly; I thought I'd been able to adjust it in the past but I guess not. But the hilighting I was talking about was the one that highlights the appropriate groups when hovering over the toggle button (should appear more quickly).

Thank you sir!
combo_bg_r, combo_bg_g, combo_bg_b, modrange_r, modrange_g, modrange_b, modrange_a and boldEdges.

Can you do a mockup for what you mean with the drop shadows, what they would actually look like?

The step sequence drag mode is also added, but consider it a beta feature for now. Hold control then click with left mouse and drag.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:36 AM   #752
puddi

Holy shiet, this thing is amazing! I cranked the input to +30 dB and thought my brain was gonna melt. In a good way of course.

Edit: The pitch features are cool too. Makes it really easy to add some faux analog warmth to synths.

Last edited by puddi; 05-01-2019 at 01:32 AM.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #753
sai'ke

Ghehehe thanks. Glad you like it.

And yeah, that's more or less what the pitch stuff was meant for
Old 05-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #754
daxliniere

I think the LP Expensive Moog filter might be polarity inverted. When I adjust REAPER's wet/dry control, the low-end disappears. I tested some of the other modes and found that didn't happen.

It's a shame because I really like how it sounds, but it's just a bit too strong. 50% wet would have solved it. Oh well!
Old 05-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #755
daxliniere

BTW, I LOVE that when using the up/dn arrows to switch filter types, it skips over the red experimental filters.

That is such elegant UI/UX. I can't even.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #756
foxAsteria

Quote:
BTW, I LOVE that when using the up/dn arrows to switch filter types, it skips over the red experimental filters.

I'll just go ahead snipe this compliment since I came up with that... j/k, all hail Sai'ke, The Benevolent Saint of Reasonable Feature Request Implementation!

It does beg the question as to why it's not very common for devs to be so open to hearing suggestions.

Note that you can right click any of them and add them to the "skip" list.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:14 PM   #757
sai'ke

Quote:
I think the LP Expensive Moog filter might be polarity inverted. When I adjust REAPER's wet/dry control, the low-end disappears. I tested some of the other modes and found that didn't happen.
It's a shame because I really like how it sounds, but it's just a bit too strong. 50% wet would have solved it. Oh well!
I just added a polarity inverter button in the master panel that should be able to help. Should be available when you update

Quote:

Yeah, that was Fox's idea. Quite a few of the ideas that ended up in the plugin originated in this thread actually
Old 05-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #758
sai'ke

FoxAsteria; Not that I need more work, but sooooooooooo, how about them color schemes?
Old 05-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #759
daxliniere

Quote:
I just added a polarity inverter button in the master panel that should be able to help. Should be available when you update
Awesome, thanks. I don't want to seem ungrateful, but it really would be best if filters always maintained correct polarity. (Obviously this is not possible where phase shifts occur, but the basic system should always be '+ in, + out'.)
Old 05-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #760
foxAsteria

Quote:
FoxAsteria; Not that I need more work, but sooooooooooo, how about them color schemes?
Sorry, I'm a procrastinator. I'll get on it. Just some touch up stuff, but I might try one more new one.

Since you're good at math, can I get the 0-1 value from a 0-255 value just by dividing 255/(0-1 value)? If so, do you have any favorite art works you'd like me to copy the color scheme of?

One other problem Is that the floating tooltip background is also dark. Can it follow the color of the combo bg? Or is it there and I just don't see it?

Last edited by foxAsteria; 05-12-2019 at 08:21 PM.