Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-30-2020, 06:35 AM   #1
BlessedOne72
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 10 BSOD - SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

Anyone any SIMPLE solution / fix to this ?

New DAW - PC ;
Windows 10 installed on a Kingston 240GB SSD .
Motherboard : MSI Z390 PRO-A
GPU : MSI GT710 .

All websearches lead to faulty display drivers,
but this didn't happen yesterday, when I installed Windows ...
just today, when I turned on the new PC and tried to get back to music making .

ASAP,
BOne .
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:57 AM   #2
toleolu

Does Windows BSOD when starting up or after login, or just when you start Reaper?

If it blue screens from the get go, maybe try reinstalling Windows. If it works OK until you start Reaper, and everything online is suggesting a problem with the video driver, maybe check the video card manufacturer website and download the latest driver from there.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:49 AM   #3
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Does Windows BSOD when starting up or after login, or just when you start Reaper?

If it blue screens from the get go, maybe try reinstalling Windows. If it works OK until you start Reaper, and everything online is suggesting a problem with the video driver, maybe check the video card manufacturer website and download the latest driver from there.
It BSOD's before the OS is up .
Rather not re-install for the third time, there's gotta be a way through this .

I've tried with the latest GPU drivers ...
First Windows installation I downloaded the latest video card drivers from the manufacturer's web site . Second install I did not ... no difference, both time it BSOD's before Windows is up .
Old 07-30-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
karbomusic

Does it not list the driver in the BSOD? It usually looks like this:

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (somedriver.sys)

That's important, and or boot into safe mode if possible, find the full event details in the system or application logs. We need more than just name of the error.

If you can boot in safe mode see if there are any mini dumps in C:\windows\minidump

If so, I'd like to peek at it.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #5
toleolu

So in the past, you were able to get Windows up and running long enough to get drivers for the video card, is that correct?

See if you can boot Windows 10 to Safe Mode. That used to be a pretty good way to determine if at least your hardware and basic Windows install is OK.

(Update: I've been hanging around brother Karb for so long now, we're starting to think alike. )

FWIW, in the past when I installed Windows, I always installed windows, went to the Microsoft Update utility and downloaded and installed all Windows updates. Once I got all that done, I played around with Windows, checked device manager, and other areas make sure everything was OK, then I started installing my applications. Did the same thing with the apps, installed one, checked for updates, made sure they were working OK, then repeated the process for the next app.

A lot of times troubleshooting is a process of elimination. Start with the basics, make sure that works, then start adding things until something breaks.

If you are able to get Windows running, and provided you haven't reinstalled it, there might be info in the Event Viewer that might shed some light on things.

Keep posting what you find, I'm sure someone here will be able to help you.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
sostenuto

Too early in this installation to have a Restore Point ??
Just had a GSOD here with solid PC Desktop and Restore Point saved me.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #7
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Too early in this installation to have a Restore Point ??
Just had a GSOD here with solid PC Desktop and Restore Point saved me.
I always disable system restore ... prefer backing up / cloning the os drive to an external disk .

attached some log files ;
Could this all be due to Windows detecting my Kingston 240 GB SSD as disk #1 and Windows as drive D:\

Root cause found:
---------------------------
A hard disk could not be found. If a hard disk is installed, it is not responding.

Any clue how to change this in BIOS ?

And Thank You to all of You so far (((:::

- BOne -
Attached Files
File Type: txt bcdinfo.txt (5.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: txt SrtTrail.txt (1.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: txt disklayout.txt (3.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 07-30-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
toleolu

I seem to recall something in BIOS about the older "Legacy" boot mode and the newer boot mode, forget what they call it EUFI something like that. I've run into problems in the past with those settings being off.

But I'm just guessing, maybe wait and see if others can make sense of the logs you posted before playing around with BIOS.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
Glennbo

In the second file it has this.

Windows directory = D:\Windows

Was Windows installed to drive D: ???

If not, were the SATA cables unplugged and then plugged back in?

The BIOS in most machines will allow you to specify what the pecking order for physical drives will be, and that is another way the drive assignments could get reshuffled.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #10
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I seem to recall you would always connect your system drive to the SATA/SAS connector labeled 0, but I don't know if that's an issue anymore.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #11
BlessedOne72

Quote:
In the second file it has this.

Windows directory = D:\Windows

Was Windows installed to drive D: ???

The BIOS in most machines will allow you to specify what the pecking order for physical drives will be, and that is another way the drive assignments could get reshuffled.
The SSD - drive was installed first and Windows was installed to that drive first ; After that the 2 separate SATA - drives were added to the system . After that I cloned the new OS (SSD - Drive) to one of the SATA - drives with Macrium Reflect Free .
Old 07-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
toleolu

I seem to recall, I say "I seem to recall" a lot.

Sucks getting old.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
I seem to recall you would always connect your system drive to the SATA/SAS connector labeled 0, but I don't know if that's an issue anymore.
I always put my boot drives on the first SATA connector, but the BIOS in most machines will let you rearrange what the system sees as the first boot device, which could be a drive on other SATA ports. I've got mine set to boot this order. USB / DVDROM / SATA0.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #14
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne72 View Post
The SSD - drive was installed first and Windows was installed to that drive first ; After that the 2 separate SATA - drives were added to the system . After that I cloned the new OS (SSD - Drive) to one of the SATA - drives with Macrium Reflect Free .
Did everything work OK while you were doing all of this, and if so, did it start crashing after you cloned the drive, or did it work ok for a period of time after cloning drive?

Just wondering if something might have happened and for some unknown reason, it's trying to boot off the clone.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
I'd try unplugging the two added drives and see if it will boot. Just pull their SATA cables with no power connected, and see if it will boot. If it does, then it is likely that one of the other drives is being connected to a SATA port that has higher boot priority than the one the boot drive is plugged into. Usually the SATA ports on the mobo will say SATA0, SATA1 and so on. Boot drive should normally be in SATA0 unless the BIOS has been instructed to boot some other port/drive first.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #16
BlessedOne72

Quote:
I always put my boot drives on the first SATA connector, but the BIOS in most machines will let you rearrange what the system sees as the first boot device, which could be a drive on other SATA ports. I've got mine set to boot this order. USB / DVDROM / SATA0.
The system as it "boots" from the SSD - drive as it should (first boot option),
but yet the Windows log - files display it as drive 1 as I "clearly" seem to understand .

Guess, I'll have to do some BIOS - checking .
Old 07-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #17
toleolu

Quote:

While you're doing that, check the motherboard website and see if there is a new BIOS version available for your motherboard.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
The system as it "boots" from the SSD - drive as it should (first boot option),
but yet the Windows log - files display it as drive 1 as I "clearly" seem to understand .

Here's another thought. Windows has the sooper sekret hidden folder,

C:\System Volume Information

where restore points and things like drive letters are stored. If you made an identical clone of your C: drive to say D:, then you would have two drives with a System Volume Information folder that contains identical data, which might make Windows get it's panties in a wad. I still recommend disconnecting the two added drives SATA cables and try to boot. That quick test may reveal the issue.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #19
mschnell

Quote:
After that I cloned the new OS (SSD - Drive) to one of the SATA - drives with Macrium Reflect Free .
Maybe it tries to boot from the clone /because the clone program made it bootable, as the original is), and this does not work because of inappropriate links.

And/Or maybe the drive letters have changed due to the additional disks.

IMHO it's not a good idea to have a disk online that holds a second system - unless you use a state of the art boot manager.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-30-2020 at 11:51 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:39 AM   #20
Glennbo

Quote:
While you're doing that, check the motherboard website and see if there is a new BIOS version available for your motherboard.
I would NOT recommend trying to update the BIOS unless it's a last resort. It would add another dimension to diagnosing and could even brick his machine if something goes wrong during the flash.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Maybe it tries to boot from the clone /because the clone program made it bootable, as the original is), and this does not work because of inappropriate links.

And/Or maybe the drive letters have changed due to the additional disks.

IMHO it's not a good idea to have a disk online that holds a second system - unless you use a stat of the art boot manager.

-Michael
I suspect that the identical cloned drive is trying to boot, and it's assigned drive letter is D:, yet everything in the Windows registry will be referencing files on the C: drive, so it gets lost real fast trying to boot.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #22
BlessedOne72

Quote:
I would NOT recommend trying to update the BIOS unless it's a last resort. It would add another dimension to diagnosing and could even brick his machine if something goes wrong during the flash.
I've already flashed the latest BIOS, that went 100% smoothly and without any issues .

Would it be enough ? If I just disable the sata drives in BIOS and check if things will work out that way .

Talking to myself once more ():
Old 07-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #23
toleolu

Quote:
I've already flashed the latest BIOS, that went 100% smoothly and without any issues .

Would it be enough ? If I just disable the sata drives in BIOS and check if things will work out that way .

You could do that, but like Glennbo said, it might be easier to just unplug the ones you don't want (power off of course and note which connector they were plugged into) and see what happens.

As far as updating BIOS as a last resort, in most cases yes, but checking for updates on all firmware should be part of your regularly scheduled maintenance. But done under controlled circumstances, not when you're up to your butt in alligators.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #24
Glennbo

Quote:

Might be enough. Depends on how the one real boot drive is seen at the hardware level. I always yank the SATA cables of everything but the boot drive if I'm trying to sort out a drive priority issue. That way I know for sure 100% that the only drive the hardware will see will be the one I want it to see.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #25
Glennbo

Quote:
You could do that, but like Glennbo said, it might be easier to just unplug the ones you don't want (power off of course and note which connector they were plugged into) and see what happens.

As far as updating BIOS as a last resort, in most cases yes, but checking for updates on all firmware should be part of your regularly scheduled maintenance. But done under controlled circumstances, not when you're up to your butt in alligators.
I've never had a BIOS flash go bad, but there is always the possibility of something going wrong. Mostly I was suggesting to not do it if he hadn't already, because then you are diagnosing how the machine worked before and also adding another dimension with a new BIOS such that the machine is not the same machine (to a certain degree) in the before and after diagnosing.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:33 AM   #26
JDSStudios

Quote:
Anyone any SIMPLE solution / fix to this ?

New DAW - PC ;
Windows 10 installed on a Kingston 240GB SSD .
Motherboard : MSI Z390 PRO-A
GPU : MSI GT710 .

All websearches lead to faulty display drivers,
but this didn't happen yesterday, when I installed Windows ...
just today, when I turned on the new PC and tried to get back to music making .

ASAP,
BOne .
Before you reinstall Windows, unplug all peripherals, like audio cards and USB devices.
It looks like the reinstallation is not being done correctly. But if it is, then look at hardware.
Reseat video card, and also firmly reseat RAM.
Try also reloading BIOS defaults.
JDSStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:47 AM   #27
beingmf

I had the same BSOD error lately when I updated Win10 to 2004 and I also thought (Google results) that the error was harddisk related. Turns out it wasn't.

There is some glitch connected to updating and "Windows Search" ‒ so here's what I did: I rolled back the update, starting in Safe Mode, then, still in Safe Mode, unticked/disabled the Windows Feature "Windows Search" and rebooted. Updated again.

Voilà.

I hope it's the same error and you can fix it that way!
Old 07-31-2020, 07:54 AM   #28
wallace

Quote:
I'd try unplugging the two added drives and see if it will boot. Just pull their SATA cables with no power connected, and see if it will boot. If it does, then it is likely that one of the other drives is being connected to a SATA port that has higher boot priority than the one the boot drive is plugged into. Usually the SATA ports on the mobo will say SATA0, SATA1 and so on. Boot drive should normally be in SATA0 unless the BIOS has been instructed to boot some other port/drive first.
Did you try this?
Apologies if I missed it.
This is also what I’d do.
Getting the machine to boot to something is a good first step.

Either way, good luck.
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:04 AM   #29
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post
Did you try this?
Apologies if I missed it.
This is also what I’d do.
Getting the machine to boot to something is a good first step.

Either way, good luck.
Ripped away the SATA - drives ... after cloning the working Windows 10 installation on one of them . Turned on the machine and everything is okay for so far . Disabled Windows update in Services.msc . Now it's just I'll see .

Thanks for all of You involved . (((:::

- BOne -
Old 08-01-2020, 10:18 AM   #30
Glennbo

It's most likely that the cloned drive was trying to boot. I would try putting the drive that is NOT the clone back in and see if it still boots okay. My guess is that is will, unless the SATA port it gets plugged into has higher boot priority than the SATA port the boot drive is in, and if that is the case, swapping the SATA cables would fix that.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:56 AM   #31
BlessedOne72

Default SOLVED : Windows 10 BSOD - SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

All's OK now ...

The problem in all these issues was because of legacy iLok / PACE - drivers, that got installed during the set up of Pro Tools 11 .

The workaround and info on the issue can be found here ;

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411117

- BOne -