Old 02-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
themixtape
Human being with feelings

Default Reason 11.2 MIDI OUT device question

Hi guys, I'm still ignorant and confused when it comes to Reaper routing, frequently...

Reason 11.2 added a MIDI OUT device. Sweet. I'm able to record Reason 11's plugin midi output (such as from Polystep, or the new Beat Map).. but I can't hear it while I'm recording the output.

There has to be a simple solution to hear what is being printed to the Reaper track... I just cannot figure it out. Could be a Reason thing more than a Reaper thing..

Right now, I have one track, with the Reason 11 plugin on it. I have Reaper's record-arm button set to "RECORD: OUTPUT (Midi)". Track is armed, input monitoring is on. I can hear what I'm playing live on the keys, but when using the RUN function (the Reason device's sequencer), I can't hear it when recording.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #2
Refillable

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Hi guys, I'm still ignorant and confused when it comes to Reaper routing, frequently...

Reason 11.2 added a MIDI OUT device. Sweet. I'm able to record Reason 11's plugin midi output (such as from Polystep, or the new Beat Map).. but I can't hear it while I'm recording the output.

There has to be a simple solution to hear what is being printed to the Reaper track... I just cannot figure it out. Could be a Reason thing more than a Reaper thing..

Right now, I have one track, with the Reason 11 plugin on it. I have Reaper's record-arm button set to "RECORD: OUTPUT (Midi)". Track is armed, input monitoring is on. I can hear what I'm playing live on the keys, but when using the RUN function (the Reason device's sequencer), I can't hear it when recording.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I have no answer for you, but now Reason can be used as a plugin?
Refillable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:20 PM   #3
themixtape

Yes. It can now be used as a plugin, as of version 11. This is months-old news. Basically announced at the end of August 2019.

If anyone can help me with the routing I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2020, 12:51 PM   #4
themixtape

I think I have a bug with the stuff...

When recording MIDI output, the octave drops and the pattern changes slightly (using Dual Arpeggiator Player). When recording MIDI input, it sounds exactly as it should (although the midi notes in the actual arpeggio are not recorded).

Nevermind. I forgot to bypass the track that had the Player on it. No worries.

I figured it out... here are the steps to do what I want (thanks to Rob Van Hees, and I added my own custom thing):

1. TRACK 1 - insert an instance of the Reason Rack into the FX (not input FX, just regular FX).

2. TRACK 1 - insert a Reason Player. It will automatically attach a MIDI OUT device to the Player.

3. TRACK 2 - insert an instance of the Reason Rack, and select an INSTRUMENT device (for me, I chose Europa).

4. Drag the I/O from Track 1 to Track 2, and when the pop-up window shows up, disable Audio (set it to NONE).

5. TRACK 1 - right-click the record arm button and select "Record: Output (MIDI)". Also, enable Input Monitoring.

6. Everything will work as intended... whether RUN is enabled (such as with Beat Map), or playing live.... when you hit the main RECORD button on Reaper's transport.

7. During playback, BYPASS TRACK 1 (the Reason Player track).

Two instances of Reason, but no big deal. Also, Track 2 does not need to be record-armed, or have input monitoring on. Hope this helps others out there!

Last edited by themixtape; 02-21-2020 at 01:48 PM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:40 AM   #5
jprobes

Default Reason Midi out

Unfortunately, this is not working for me. I'm getting midi coming into the channel, but not the midi that's being generated by the Reason player. it's just the key I'm hitting. I wish it was possible to take midi out of a specific effect, similar to Ableton.
jprobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
vascosantos

Default Reason 11.2 MIDI OUT device question

Hi!

I am facing the same difficulty with this.
I have wired it all according to @themixtape's reply but I also do not get the generated MIDI out of the Reason Player output.
Instead, I only get what is at the input.

Has anyone figured this out?
vascosantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #7
vascosantos

Ok, I seem to have figured out that the behaviour of the VST3 version of the Reason Rack Plugin works better in this regard. There must be something fishy with the AU version.
Still, I wanted to record the player output to a separate track, but I can't seem to be able to set it to record properly.

I am sending the MIDI out device output to another track and having that track armed to "Record Output (MIDI)", but all I get is empty MIDI items...

What would be the right approach?
Old 04-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
BenK-msx

I think the midi out device needs to be last thing in the reason plugin.

Check by placing a vsti after reason fx in reaper track to get it to playback as it should

Then recording output/midi etc. in reaper ecosystem should work.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:25 AM   #9
vascosantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
I think the midi out device needs to be last thing in the reason plugin.

Check by placing a vsti after reason fx in reaper track to get it to playback as it should

Then recording output/midi etc. in reaper ecosystem should work.
I had that right. It seems that the VST3i version of the Reason Rack Plugin gets the player MIDI out right, but the AUi version does not. It acts as a plain MIDI bypass.
I will report this to Reason Studios.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #10
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
I think I have a bug with the stuff...

When recording MIDI output, the octave drops and the pattern changes slightly (using Dual Arpeggiator Player). When recording MIDI input, it sounds exactly as it should (although the midi notes in the actual arpeggio are not recorded).

Nevermind. I forgot to bypass the track that had the Player on it. No worries.

I figured it out... here are the steps to do what I want (thanks to Rob Van Hees, and I added my own custom thing):

1. TRACK 1 - insert an instance of the Reason Rack into the FX (not input FX, just regular FX).

2. TRACK 1 - insert a Reason Player. It will automatically attach a MIDI OUT device to the Player.

3. TRACK 2 - insert an instance of the Reason Rack, and select an INSTRUMENT device (for me, I chose Europa).

4. Drag the I/O from Track 1 to Track 2, and when the pop-up window shows up, disable Audio (set it to NONE).

5. TRACK 1 - right-click the record arm button and select "Record: Output (MIDI)". Also, enable Input Monitoring.

6. Everything will work as intended... whether RUN is enabled (such as with Beat Map), or playing live.... when you hit the main RECORD button on Reaper's transport.

7. During playback, BYPASS TRACK 1 (the Reason Player track).

Two instances of Reason, but no big deal. Also, Track 2 does not need to be record-armed, or have input monitoring on. Hope this helps others out there!
Looks like quite a process. Here's how I've been doing it from the beginning.

This is all on track 1

1. Track 1 Create Reason VSTIi or AUi
2. Load Player
3. Load sound I want to control

This is the settings for Track 1 (bellow)

Right-click rec button on track select 'output midi' <--- That's it.

Hit record and you can monitor and record on the same track then drag the midi wherever you like it
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #11
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
Looks like quite a process. Here's how I've been doing it from the beginning.

This is all on track 1

1. Track 1 Create Reason VSTIi or AUi
2. Load Player
3. Load sound I want to control

This is the settings for Track 1 (bellow)

Right-click rec button on track select 'output midi' <--- That's it.

Hit record and you can monitor and record on the same track then drag the midi wherever you like it
Thanks for this! Could you clarify how exactly to "load player"? By right-clicking on the first Reason instrument?

Thanks!