Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 06-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #9521
Pompeysie
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Try the other MCU modes and see if those buttons transmit data there.
OK, so in the different MCU modes, different combinations of buttons work or don't work. I also noticed that pressing the same button in different modes sends a different midi code to Reaper.

E.g. the "Solo" button sends 90 08 00 in Cubase mode and 90 09 00 in Live mode. I assume this is how the device maps to different software.

From my point of view, I assume I'll just have to plump for one of them and suffer the fact that not all buttons work in that mode?

THanks

Simon
Pompeysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #9522
Pompeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeysie View Post
OK, so in the different MCU modes, different combinations of buttons work or don't work. I also noticed that pressing the same button in different modes sends a different midi code to Reaper.

E.g. the "Solo" button sends 90 08 00 in Cubase mode and 90 09 00 in Live mode. I assume this is how the device maps to different software.

From my point of view, I assume I'll just have to plump for one of them and suffer the fact that not all buttons work in that mode?

THanks

Simon
OK, I think I have made some progress. I have switched back to Logic mode and am using the Faderport 16 mst (FP16) as my starting point.
Pompeysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:34 AM   #9523
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Maybe stuffmidi(1, ...) to set the action context, directly followed by a ...command() API call to fire the action would do the trick.
Does not seem to work in a script

Maybe for CSI it makes sense to allow sending a Midi CC by stuffmidi(1, ...) and have the user learn it to the appropriate functionality manually.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:13 AM   #9524
dr_After

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
There a few quantize Reaper actions (more if you add SWS), can you do it that way, by mapping a button to a Reaper action ?

Code:
Zone "aZone"
       someButton Reaper 40444  // not a real number, substitute the right number 
ZoneEnd
Well, yes, there are quantization actions in main window, but I thought that I will be able to assign action ID number from MIDI editor to X-Touch button but it does not work. It's not only quantization, I would also map note properties, some note lenth actions, etc. But now it is impossible I guess, correct me if I am wrong

if you need further explanations what I am trying to do:

1. I want to assign my F5 button to open Midi editor in Reaper via CSI and it works, so far so good
2. I select all notes in the item and want to press F6 to quantize them, but assigned action ID does not work - it invokes some Main window action (because main window actions and midi editor actions share the same IDs)

so the question is - how I can let know my X-touch that after pressing F6 it should run "quantize" action from MIDI editor that has ID 40406 in MIDI editor section instead of "Toggle track FX envelope visible" that has the same ID 40406 in Main actions section?

Last edited by dr_After; 06-14-2020 at 05:28 AM.
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:13 AM   #9525
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_After View Post
Well, yes, there are quantization actions in main window, but I thought that I will be able to assign action ID number from MIDI editor to X-Touch button but it does not work. It's not only quantization, I would also map note properties, some note lenth actions, etc. But now it is impossible I guess, correct me if I am wrong

if you need further explanations what I am trying to do:

1. I want to assign my F5 button to open Midi editor in Reaper via CSI and it works, so far so good
2. I select all notes in the item and want to press F6 to quantize them, but assigned action ID does not work - it invokes some Main window action (because main window actions and midi editor actions share the same IDs)

so the question is - how I can let know my X-touch that after pressing F6 it should run "quantize" action from MIDI editor that has ID 40406 in MIDI editor section instead of "Toggle track FX envelope visible" that has the same ID 40406 in Main actions section?
Ahh, got it.

I've been programming for Reaper for over 10 years and always thought those IDs were unique to Reaper, not unique to a Window, first time I've encountered this

So, yes, I now see your problem, CSI will need another Action "ReaperMidiEditor".

I'll put it on the to do list.

That may mean we need some more like this for other Windows
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:35 AM   #9526
andyp24

Hey Geoff,

Still mulling over my options for controllers, and feeling like the Console 1 Will work well for me, so what fader module to put with it is my dilemma (or trilemma?)

1) Console 1 Fader - good quality faders and neat physical match for Console 1, but no Scribble Scrip/display and only one pan knob.

2) X-touch - cheap and cheerful, but bigger than above and has displays and a rotary per channel

3) My existing X32 Compact - No cost, 17 faders and loads of knobs. But is CSI (imminently) at a stage where it can be made to work via OSC?

Is there a difference in fader resolution between any of these options, does anyone know?

Cheers
Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:14 AM   #9527
dr_After

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Ahh, got it.

I've been programming for Reaper for over 10 years and always thought those IDs were unique to Reaper, not unique to a Window, first time I've encountered this

So, yes, I now see your problem, CSI will need another Action "ReaperMidiEditor".

I'll put it on the to do list.

That may mean we need some more like this for other Windows
Hah, I am surprised that I am the first who asked for that Glad that you will address this issue, thanks!
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:06 AM   #9528
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
Hey Geoff,

Still mulling over my options for controllers, and feeling like the Console 1 Will work well for me, so what fader module to put with it is my dilemma (or trilemma?)

1) Console 1 Fader - good quality faders and neat physical match for Console 1, but no Scribble Scrip/display and only one pan knob.

2) X-touch - cheap and cheerful, but bigger than above and has displays and a rotary per channel

3) My existing X32 Compact - No cost, 17 faders and loads of knobs. But is CSI (imminently) at a stage where it can be made to work via OSC?

Is there a difference in fader resolution between any of these options, does anyone know?

Cheers
Andy
Sorry, don't know about the X32 resolution, but the other 2 are likely the standard 1024 steps of an ALPS fader or equivalent.

As far as CSI, it's already working for phones and tablets using OSC, however, there is some work to do to get an .ost file for the X32, need someone who has one and can spend the time to make the .ost file
Old 06-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #9529
andyp24

Haha yeah I know 😁

I can pass one of those two requirements.....

Seriously, if I get a chance to figure out what to do and how long it'd take, I'd love to help out.

But right now, I'm so overwhelmed with work I can barely keep all my business admin up to date, let alone do non-essential stuff 😒
Old 06-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #9530
andyp24

That said, how would I even start to map out the ost file for the X32?

Can someone explain in really simple terms how to do this?

What connection do I use? MIDI? USB? Ethernet?

What software do I need to use to talk to the mixer and see what happens when I move a control?

How would I possibly know what messages to send in the other direction to control lights/scribble strip etc?
Old 06-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #9531
cemark

Quote:
That said, how would I even start to map out the ost file for the X32?

Can someone explain in really simple terms how to do this?

What connection do I use? MIDI? USB? Ethernet?

What software do I need to use to talk to the mixer and see what happens when I move a control?

How would I possibly know what messages to send in the other direction to control lights/scribble strip etc?
All that is stated on the CSI wiki page: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #9532
Funkybot

I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure if there's a ton of setup instructions for creating an .ost file in the Wiki. I've not used OSC myself just yet. Looking at some of the existing .ost files the syntax seems relatively simple, but I'm just not sure how that translates to a device that you didn't create yourself in something like the TouchOSC editor.

Is there documentation online about the X32's OSC implementation? If so, we can probably collectively help get this sorted.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #9533
cemark

My apologies! I didn't see the ost -- I thought we were talking midi. Sorry!
Old 06-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #9534
andyp24

No problem. :-)

Yeah, I looked at the wiki, and I can't see anything about working out OSC.

Geoff said a while ago that the X32 would be much better suited to that than MIDI, but I've got no idea how to do it.

There's this, but I understand almost exactly none of it :-D

https://behringerwiki.musictribe.com...emote_Protocol

Last edited by andyp24; 06-16-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #9535
philippas

Quote:
Please let me know where things look off. I may be able to explain or maybe you've found a bug. At some point I'll redo the documentation, but I have to start from scratch having swapped over to a new PC and realizing after the fact I hadn't backed up some files I thought I had.
Hey Funkybot, I am not quite sure what is off, but maybe you can point me in the right direction.

Bank 1 and 2 are working as expected.

Bank 3 (Mixer Controls) kind of works, but I cannot change banks and the 5th-track fader doesn't work. Before I deleted the "homepage" mappings that came with CSI I could only control starting on track 10 for some reason.

I did not manage to control FX at all so far. I tried it with NI Raum and the stock plugins, but nothing happens.

On the other hand, I also could not get OSC (with my Ipad) working through CSI, while it works fine without. So maybe I have set something up wrong.

edit: after a reinstall of CSI now changing banks works, and only the left bottom knob does not want to work as a fader. One step forward.

Last edited by philippas; 06-18-2020 at 01:46 PM.
philippas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #9536
Funkybot

philippas

Bottom Left Encoder Not Working
This was an error in the .mst file. Thanks for spotting this! I don't really use the surface for mixing duties, but missed this when I created the .mst.

Open the .mst file and change this:

Code:
Widget RotaryF5
	Fader7Bit b0 2c 7f [ < 3f 3e 3d 3c 3b 3a 39 38 36 33 2f > 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 4a 4d 51 ]
	FB_Fader7Bit b0 2c 00
WidgetEnd
to this...

Code:
Widget RotaryF5
	Encoder b0 2c 7f [ < 3f 3e 3d 3c 3b 3a 39 38 36 33 2f > 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 4a 4d 51 ]
	FB_Fader7Bit b0 2c 00
WidgetEnd
Effects Not Working

1. In the CSI Preferences for the MFTwister, make sure you have "Auto Map Focused FX" checked. My guess is this is the issue. Also, make sure the MFTwister is on Bank1 as this where the mapped FX all are in my .zon files.

2. If not, make sure you're using VST2 versions of the plugins, or edit the .zon files to go from "VST:" to "VST3:"

3. If not that, make sure I didn't rename the fx. Like, for instance, I renamed a bunch of UAD and T-Racks effects so they look cleaner in the insert bins.

Let me know if that fixes it!
Old 06-19-2020, 02:21 AM   #9537
philippas

Quote:
philippas

Bottom Left Encoder Not Working
This was an error in the .mst file. Thanks for spotting this! I don't really use the surface for mixing duties, but missed this when I created the .mst.

Open the .mst file and change this:

Code:
Widget RotaryF5
	Fader7Bit b0 2c 7f [ < 3f 3e 3d 3c 3b 3a 39 38 36 33 2f > 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 4a 4d 51 ]
	FB_Fader7Bit b0 2c 00
WidgetEnd
to this...

Code:
Widget RotaryF5
	Encoder b0 2c 7f [ < 3f 3e 3d 3c 3b 3a 39 38 36 33 2f > 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 4a 4d 51 ]
	FB_Fader7Bit b0 2c 00
WidgetEnd
That worked! Thank you.

The Settings for Auto Map Focused FX were correct, but I was using HeDa Track Inspector, which automatically creates hidden tracks. And as it turns out having a hidden track seems to make the Auto Mapping not work for me.

Now the FX Controls work! They seem a bit jittery, but I am not sure if that is normal.

However, after I close the plugin the normal Bank 1 controls do not function anymore. On the Wiki there is a Note (on the bottom) about having a way to get back to the Home Zone. I could not find anything in the MidiFigther zon-file, but also have no clue where this would go or if it is necessary.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #9538
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippas View Post
Now the FX Controls work! They seem a bit jittery, but I am not sure if that is normal.
Are you using the MFTwister settings included in that zip? That should set all the Encoders to being velocity sensitive in the device.

Now, if you are, then the next thing is: the scaling I chose for the knobs allows for very fine control at slow turns, and pretty big movements at fast turns, with some in-between speeds. I'm pretty comfortable with these settings, but they may not be to your taste. Guess what? CSI let's you customize them.

Read the Encoders page, particular around Custom Acceleration Curves to see how you can tweak the curve in the .zon files:

https://github.com/malcolmgroves/rea...h-acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippas View Post
However, after I close the plugin the normal Bank 1 controls do not function anymore. On the Wiki there is a Note (on the bottom) about having a way to get back to the Home Zone. I could not find anything in the MidiFigther zon-file, but also have no clue where this would go or if it is necessary.
That's one of the things Geoff is working on for the major rewrite. When you unfocus an FX, or when no mapped FX are focused, it should automatically jump right back. At one point, I feel like it was working ok (I remember getting back to the Home zone in the past by toggling that "ToggleFocusedFX" button/action), but as of late, it just doesn't seem to do that. I really only use my MFTwister for FX anyway, so it's not a huge deal for me, but in your case, I'd suggest just being patient and hopefully in another week or two whenever Geoff posts the update, this will get fixed.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #9539
philippas

Quote:
Are you using the MFTwister settings included in that zip? That should set all the Encoders to being velocity sensitive in the device.

Now, if you are, then the next thing is: the scaling I chose for the knobs allows for very fine control at slow turns, and pretty big movements at fast turns, with some in-between speeds. I'm pretty comfortable with these settings, but they may not be to your taste. Guess what? CSI let's you customize them.

Read the Encoders page, particular around Custom Acceleration Curves to see how you can tweak the curve in the .zon files:

https://github.com/malcolmgroves/rea...h-acceleration

That's one of the things Geoff is working on for the major rewrite. When you unfocus an FX, or when no mapped FX are focused, it should automatically jump right back. At one point, I feel like it was working ok (I remember getting back to the Home zone in the past by toggling that "ToggleFocusedFX" button/action), but as of late, it just doesn't seem to do that. I really only use my MFTwister for FX anyway, so it's not a huge deal for me, but in your case, I'd suggest just being patient and hopefully in another week or two whenever Geoff posts the update, this will get fixed.

Yes, I was using the included file. I think it is really just the sensitivity, or maybe even just how it translates to the GUI of the plugins. I will play around a bit and give it some time. And of course wait what the next update brings. Thanks again!
Old 06-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #9540
andyp24

Just found this Unofficial X32 OSC protocol document written by Patrick-Gilles Maillot.

https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32

It means virtually nothing to me (this stuff is way over my head), but does it help Geoff or any of the CSI contributors map out how to make this range of desks work as controllers?

I have the X32 Compact version, FWIW (8 channel faders, 8 group faders and Master fader) :-)

Cheers
Andy
Old 06-21-2020, 10:55 AM   #9541
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Just found this Unofficial X32 OSC protocol document written by Patrick-Gilles Maillot.

https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32

It means virtually nothing to me (this stuff is way over my head), but does it help Geoff or any of the CSI contributors map out how to make this range of desks work as controllers?

I have the X32 Compact version, FWIW (8 channel faders, 8 group faders and Master fader) :-)

Cheers
Andy
Cool, will have a look when I get time.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:54 AM   #9542
andyp24

Amazing, thanks Geoff
Old 06-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #9543
cemark

Hmmm ...

Why does the following work ...?

Code:
Zone Home
	Rewind 		Rewind
	FastForward	FastForward
	Stop 		Stop
	Play 		Play
	Record 		Record
ZoneEnd

... when the following does not?

Code:
Zone Home
	IncludedZones
		"Extended Transport"
	IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd

/ **********************
/ Extended Transport handles transport, markers, regions, zoom and scroll
/ ***********************
Zone "Extended Transport"
	Rewind 		Rewind
	FastForward	FastForward
	Stop 		Stop
	Play 		Play
	Record 		Record
ZoneEnd
Old 06-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #9544
cemark

... Because the included zone has to a sub zone, and therefore have the | character
Old 06-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #9545
cemark

What might be the problem here? None of the widgets in "Track Control|" works

Code:
Zone Home
	IncludedZones
		"Extended Transport|"
		"Track Control|"
	IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd

/ **********************
... CUT

/ **********************
/ Track Control handles everything about a track
Zone "Track Control|"
	TrackNavigator
	Arm  				TrackRecordArm
	Solo  				TrackSolo
	Mute				TrackMute
	Fader	  			TrackVolume
	FaderTouch  			TrackTouch	
	Rotary				TrackPan
ZoneEnd
Old 06-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #9546
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemark View Post
Hmmm ...

Code:
Zone Home
	IncludedZones
		"Extended Transport"
	IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd

/ **********************
Zone "Extended Transport"
	Rewind 		Rewind
	FastForward	FastForward
	Stop 		Stop
	Play 		Play
	Record 		Record
ZoneEnd

How about this?

Code:
Zone Home
	IncludedZones
		"Extended Transport|"
	IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd

/ **********************
Zone "Extended Transport|"
	Rewind 		Rewind
	FastForward	FastForward
	Stop 		Stop
	Play 		Play
	Record 		Record
ZoneEnd
Old 06-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #9547
cemark

Sorry, posted the wrong version!

I already changed to what you suggested. No go
Old 06-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #9548
cemark

or wait .... Did you REMOVE the vertical bar?
Old 06-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #9549
cemark

I'm an idiot. Now I see that your reply was to a question that I already solved.

Man, I have moved on since then, ha ha

Now, I'm struggling with the Track Control
Old 06-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #9550
Funkybot

Ok...so regarding the TrackControls. I want you to do something first:

1. Open MIDIOx or whatever you use
2. Open the MIDI Logger to see the Faderport data
3. Move the Fader and note the MIDI address data

What is it? Now...

4. Press the next channel button on the surface and
5. Move the Fader and note the MIDI address data

What is it now? Did it change?

What I want to know is does the Faderport use 8 "virtual faders" in MCU mode? Probably does, but just want to confirm.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #9551
cemark

The fader data does not change. I'm not in MCU -- I'm in Studio One mode. It's the only one where the surface is kind enough to be consistent.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #9552
cemark

and NOTHING in the Track Control is working, so there is something off somewhere
Old 06-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #9553
Funkybot

I don't know anything about Studio One mode. I think Reaper now has native FaderPort support, so if you just have the one surface and don't need to customize it with CSI, maybe that works better.

If you're going to use it in CSI because you want the customization options and some other features CSI includes, I'd suggest trying MCU mode. Studio One mode likely uses some proprietary features.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:35 PM   #9554
cemark

Been there, done that :-)

In MCU mode, the surface operates with a certain built-in logic. That is, button X outputs a certain midi msg. However, if you press butt Y, button X will change its msg to something else.

It gets extremely hard to customize it in this mode. You have to intruduce a gazillion widgets for all the crazy combinations.

In default mode (S1), the unit is stable and consistent. Button X output the same msg whatever you do with the other buttons.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #9555
cemark

Is there really no debug mode or something in CSI?

Is there ANY way I don't have to edit a line, re-start Reaper, test, close Reaper, rinse and repeat...?

Sorry if I come across as the grumpy old man I really am
Old 06-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #9556
cemark

I even tried the following, but it seems like Track Control gets ignored completely:

Code:
Zone Home
	IncludedZones
		"Extended Transport|"
		"Track Control|1-1"
	IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd

/ **********************
--- CUT

/ **********************
Zone "Track Control|"
	TrackNavigator
	Arm|  				TrackRecordArm
	Solo|  				TrackSolo
	Mute|				TrackMute
	Fader|	  			TrackVolume
	FaderTouch|  			TrackTouch	
	Rotary|				TrackPan
ZoneEnd
Old 06-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #9557
Funkybot

What's your Fader look like in the .mst file? Is it labeled just "Fader" or "Fader1." Let's assume the latter for the time being. Can you try something like this just to see if it will work with SelectedTrackNavigator?

Code:
Zone Home
	OnTrackSelection MapSelectedTrackSendsToWidgets
	IncludedZones
		"SelectedChannel|"	
		"Buttons|"
	IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd

Zone "SelectedChannel|"
	SelectedTrackNavigator
	Fader1  			TrackVolume
	FaderTouch1  			TrackTouch
	VUMeter1			TrackOutputMeter
	Rotary1				TrackPan "0"
	RotaryPush1 			GoZone PanWidth
ZoneEnd
Also has no one else done a FaderPort v2 .mst/.zon yet? I thought I saw one recently.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #9558
cemark

You are a genious!

Of course I needed to put the number 1 in my mst file. Buttons work. Will ckeck fader next
Old 06-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #9559
cemark

Hmmm ... Why does fader work on channel 1 (which is correct), while Arm, Solo and Mute operate on the selected channel?

Code:
/ **********************
Zone "Track Control|1-1"
	TrackNavigator
	Arm|  				TrackRecordArm
	Solo|  				TrackSolo
	Mute|				TrackMute
	Fader|	  			TrackVolume
	FaderTouch|  			TrackTouch	
	Rotary|				TrackPan

ZoneEnd
Old 06-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #9560
Funkybot

Do you want everything to work on the selected track or do you want the surface channel and selected track to be able to be different?