Old 08-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
audiojunkie
Human being with feelings

Default What DE is everyone using?

I've been using Gnome3 for the past year, with hopes of eventually going fully touch screen in the near future. However, I've found some things that irk me to the point that I'm shopping around for a new Desktop Environment to see if there might be something I like better (even if it isn't as touch screen friendly.

For example, I hate that installed apps are just thrown into a list and not actually grouped and kept together. I know that I can select to have my favorites for the session show up instead of all apps. I also know that I can select to have a menu show up like other desktops (and while I DO have it set up with that, it defeats the purpose of having the Gnome3 interface that gets out of your way).

The other thing that bugs me is that with a modern system that supposedly is future thinking and forward thinking, there isn't a built-in tool for creating your own custom launchers. (Again, I recognize that there is a tool that I can download that will help me do this, but it frustrates me nonetheless). I also know that I could do it manually with a text editor, but it still bugs me.

The third thing that bugs me, and probably the thing that bugs me the most, is that the developers have hidden-away useful options and features so that one has to remember an obscure key command to do something as simple as showing hidden files, for example. It makes me feel like Gnome3 is going too far with their quest for simplicity and they are "throwing the baby out with the bathwater". These little quirks have irritated me and left me to explore options (which is what Linux is famous for :-) ).

In addition to the frustrations above, after doing a bit of research, I've come to find out that WINE doesn't work with Wayland, but has to go through XWayland to make things work, because there is no true Wayland support, and there is not likely going to be. It doesn't work as optimally as it would going straight through X. And, since there are so few Linux-only plugins, I suspect I will need to supplement my Linux plugins with some Windows plugins. So, proper functioning WINE use is likely to be a must.

What Desktop Environment(DE) are you guys using? Does your system use Wayland/XWayland? Are you going straight through X? What are your experiences (positive/negative)?

Thanks in advance for your input!! :-)

Last edited by audiojunkie; 08-20-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: TLDR & Clarification
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
eric71

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
What Desktop Environment(DE) are you guys using? Does your system use Wayland/XWayland? Are you going straight through X? What are your experiences (positive/negative)?

Thanks in advance for your input!! :-)
It's probably hard to beat Xfce for a combination of usability and being fairly light on resources. It's compositor doesn't tax resources too much, so if you want some transparency, etc., it doesn't effect performance much. There's a reason both Ubuntustudio and AVLinux use it.

Personally I'm a big fan of KDE Plasma. It used to be too heavy for audio work on my systems, but in the last few years it has become lean and mean (far leaner and quicker than gnome, and almost to the mempry/cpu use of Xfce). So I use that now. I use KDE Neon user edition, which is currently based on Ubuntu 16.04 and uses Xorg. I think I read somewhere that Wayland might be used with the coming move to a 18.04 base.

I'd recommend either of them. Maybe Mate as a third option. Anything but Gnome,
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
Lokasenna

XFCE via Ubuntu Studio here, been using it for most of a week with few complaints.

- Apps are installed in a big list that you can have sorted by category, or favorites, or recent. By default Meta+R brings up a searchable list of everything as well.

- There are a number of different places to look for settings, but they're usually semi-obvious - Settings Manager, Settings Editor, Keyboard, Window Manager, etc.

- WINE is behaving fine here so far, though I admittedly only have it handling a few VSTs.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
serr

OSX user here thinking hard about migrating to Linux.
What DE will give me the equivalent of the Finder, hot corners, spaces, and an app dock?

Or... Has anyone plagiarized those from say 10.6.8 (before they broke spaces)?
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
What DE will give me the equivalent of the Finder, hot corners, spaces, and an app dock?

Not sure about hot corners, but for the rest: Basically all of them. None of those are new features no matter how much Apple likes to hype things.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
serr

Like the sound of that!

I haven't followed Apple's hype since they broke spaces and stopped making pro machines...

So, are trackpad gestures are old hat too then?
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
eric71

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

I haven't tested it for a few years, but I think Elementary Linux, which is Ubuntu based with a custom desktop environment, is OSX inspired. And you could add KXStudio repositories for audio goodness.

https://elementary.io/docs/learning-...ing-the-basics
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
Jack Winter

Personally I run KDE on my systems. Doesn't seem to affect my audio work at all. The only memory hogs I have seems to be chromium, firefox & clawsmail that have to be killed and restarted every few days, otherwise I slowly run out of RAM. But I have the bad habit of leaving many browser instances open with loads of tabs, I suspect it depends on what the web pages do too...

KDE has a nice way to launch programs, just alt-space and start typing the program name and it will populate into a list for easy starting.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #9
s wave

Wink Linux mint 19 'Tara' Cinnamon Desktop Enviroment; kernel 18.04

Native Linux Reaper (Beta) is working extremely well with the new CINNAMON DE. No complaints - nothing but praise for new native linux platform effort. Here is how I got Reaper going quickly... a) Installed Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit ver. on AMD build: cpu 8320e mobo m5a97. b) installed jack2 AND qjackctl (GUI) via the software manager. c) Downloaded 'Reaper Native Linux'. That was it, when I hit the qjackctl start button then double clicked Reaper... Reaper was up and running. Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 bit is looking very encouraging. ...other notes... I used GPT for partition table (with lvm2 enabled) Ext4. Reaper still worked when I took the hard drive out and put it in a Win 8 UEFI laptop. ALSO used the 2nd second generation interface'; Focusrite Scarlett Solo and it worked flawless with Reaper on both systems with no adjustments. just plugged and played. I will be testing various plug-ins and Thanks again, contact me if I can be of help to anyone. s wave
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #10
SmajjL

Manjaro KDE (18.0-beta-6) seems to finally have the last nitpick obsticle for me working, and one I had to find out myself and that was, where did AUR stuff go in Octopi? I know it's beta but, Hello?

Install Trizen, Trizen AUR Package Manager: A lightweight wrapper for AUR.

Correction:
So, I am officially using Manjaro now, happy.
Cinnamon maby, we'll see, miss it already, more smiley-happy-soft-enviroment-easy on the eyes and little snappier.. and absolutely eeeeverything works there, hmmm.

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-15-2018 at 10:15 AM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #11
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Manjaro KDE (18.0-beta-6) seems to finally have the last nitpick obsticle for me working, and one I had to find out myself and that was, where did AUR stuff go in Octopi? I know it's beta but, Hello?
I would recommend installing pamac. Much better than Octopi and allows you to search the AUR as well.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #12
SmajjL

Ok, then I will, like right now.
Miss Cinnamon's enviroment though, and might go back soon, will give KDE a day and try different themes/icons, read about KDE vs Cinn might help, not sure yet.
Thanks Klang

Edit:

Ah-ha, that's the one Cinnamon flavour uses, so that's pamac, agreed! I prefeer that one also.

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-15-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #13
SmajjL

Quote:
.. and absolutely eeeeverything works there, hmmm.
Bitwig for example is supporting Ubuntu and you kinda know how change kernels don't you? anything else you can learn?
And you liked Cinnamon/MATE did you day?

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-15-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #14
s wave

Wink Yes Cinnamon is good DE (for mint 18 and 19) and REAPER

I used KDE a while ago and personally it was not intuitive for me. I went for CINNAMON DE because of ever increasing popularity and because of the GNOME fork capabilities... they seem to work (or i can always get a quick workaround if needed) The other reason I went for it, is for the interface compatibility. I believe Focusrite interfaces work extremely well on linux recording set ups. AND they have worked great with the MINT OS flavors. (Did have some road bumps with 'pulse' audio just a matter of stopping its aggressiveness) I would love to get the Clarett preamps... they stack up well against real pro studio sounds imo. Good luck with Manjaro good OS. I will be testing the recently released LMDE 3 (Linux Mint Debian Edition) "Cindy" just for future proofing against the future ?availability? of the Ubuntu kernel. REAPER + MINT CINNAMON + FOCUSRITE Interfaces... a winning combination.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:51 AM   #15
SmajjL

Quote:
Bitwig for example is supporting Ubuntu and you kinda know how change kernels don't you? anything else you can learn?

Yes, use archalien to convert Bitwig.deb into a .pkg.tar.gz and then install Cadence as it has has JACK and stuff along with it anyway.
Might need to get jack-dbus also though if BW can't find audio, and ALSA will just work.

So, looks like I can & will stay with Manjaro and my, Babyface Pro can run in class compliant mode, should work on all kinds of Linux if you can go that way.
Mint is well done though, think you can be very happy there also.

*Off to setup all stuff, make myself comphy.
Ps.. I am little unstable in the head about what visual tech enviroment..

Edit:

KDE seems to support and look HiDPI way better and have more options, the oxygen icon/folders is oh-lala just that it by default ask what I want when i drag files is, thank you. KDE is winning me over, just need to look for for more themes/icons and maby learn how exactly to theme "yourself.
Thank you for your patience with me

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-16-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #16
s wave

Default I will have to look into KDE DE again...

Yes Smajjl... Its a good time for open source so many ways to go! Can not go wrong with Manjaro OS ... I just got "Speek" vst going natively, slid right into REAPERS Vst library. It is that old vocoder with presets of robots old lady gorilla voices... worth downloading for some ideas and laughs. Don't forget about FEDORA 28 or Fedora Jam OS... nice Logical Volume Manager LVM... and yes Cinnamon is ported to both and work well... I really like Fedora for midi controller setups and looping and Jack compatibility and LVM... I got a 20? year old Yamaha KSX61 humming with 'BRISTOL' soft synth... mind blowing if you loop into a mini moog to DX7 and into a Hammond B3 organ.... (Jack of course with alsa) I will try connect the REAPER hard drive into my home made midi controller pc (am2-am3). I will bet that reaper will work on it... If it does good I might have to choose between Fedora and Mint. Staying with CINNAMON DE for now though. Tc Smajjl... keep posting - s wave