Old 12-23-2009, 02:15 AM   #1
Padre_PC
Human being with feelings

Default Midi item processing plugin: c++ source code

As promised, here is the source code of my proof-of-concept "Midi Processor" Reaper extension plugin.

Note to non-dev Reaper users: I didn't include the .dll because the plugin isn't useful as such, it's just dev stuff really.

Related topics:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=48514
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=45430
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=19881 (around page 4)

* What it does:

Registers 3 new "MIDI Item Processor: test" actions that will affect selected Midi items: note transpose, note on/off positions, CC LFO, CC delete.

* Start

I started with Rome's source code.

Mod 1: use MIDI_eventlist_Create()/MIDI_eventlist_Destroy()

Mod 2: alter current PCM_Source in "overwrite" mode instead of creating a new item. Simpler + fix Rome's "Midi Editor open" crash

Mod 3: Undo_OnStateChangeEx(UNDO_STATE_ALL) instead of UNDO_STATE_ITEMS (undo was broken after Mod 2)

Mod 4: added an object state parser. The plugin won't work with external .mid files AND in-project files with the "ignore project tempo information" option checked (frameOffset ignored on new events). See MidiItemProcessor::getMidiItemType() and MidiItemProcessor:: processSelectedMidiTakes()

* How to start

Use a proper Reaper plugin/actions registration code. The "reaperMidiItemProcMain.cpp" file is a quick & dirty. Suggestion: SWS open source project!

See reaperMidiItemGenerators.cpp/.h and reaperMidiItemFilters.cpp/.h: there's a "MidiFilterBase" base class for MIDI event filters and another "MidiGeneratorBase" for MIDI events generators (LFO, etc).

See how "MidiItemProcessor* midiProc" objects are used in "reaperMidiItemProcMain.cpp".

* Object state parsing functions

MidiItemProcessor::getMidiItemType() : see earlier

MidiItemProcessor::getSelectedMidiNotes() : not used at this time, but working. Restriction: after process you may want to put them back into Midi Editor selection (replace a few "E" with "e"), I haven't programmed this.

If you read schwa's comments on working with object state data, I wouldn't go any further and rather wait for proper API functions regarding note selection.

* API requests

- Get current Midi Editor item
- Get current Midi notes selection
- Register Midi Editor actions

Many thanks to Rome, Jeffos, Mike and Schwa!
Attached Files
File Type: zip PadresReaperMidiProcessor.zip (46.4 KB, 431 views)
Padre_PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
Jeffos
Mortal

AFAIK, first contrib lead arround MIDI item processing, it's us that have thank you, Padre!!
(won't be able to check that before a few days but thumbs up in advance!)

[edit] undo: crashy stuff, I don't ask myself anymore questions too => UNDO_STATE_ALL

Last edited by Jeffos; 12-23-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
Jeffos
Mortal

Padre, I quickly browsed the code.. very well structured, kudos! (and I like the midi.h )
A quick post to tell you: even if there's no action plugged to it yet you should put it in the SWS open source.. I'm sure it would be appreciated!
Old 12-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
Padre_PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
(and I like the midi.h )
An old one... I use it in almost every project and add new stuff from time to time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
A quick post to tell you: even if there's no action plugged to it yet you should put it in the SWS open source.. I'm sure it would be appreciated!
I already have this in mind. I wanted to start this thing with just a few files but eventually I'll join the SWS project.

Right now I'm still looking for a plugin-based workaround for my "favorite" bug... new findings today:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=48109
Padre_PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
MikeLacey

Padre How cool are you.... Excellent!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
EvilDragon

Padre, kudos. Could you break it down for me in short - what is this meant to do, care for a few practical examples?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #7
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre_PC View Post
I already have this in mind. I wanted to start this thing with just a few files but eventually I'll join the SWS project.
that's a very good news!
it's a cool place you'll see: the SWS open source make me think of a kind of fine jazz club.. but very open: even a french punk like me was welcomed there.. Tim just take care of my punk haircut so that I fit to club, but he let me play my music (Tim, if you read this, coming back to the club soon ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre_PC View Post
Right now I'm still looking for a plugin-based workaround for my "favorite" bug... new findings today:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=48109
ha ha! I see. I have my fav' bug too (for me, a DAW that cannot output cc123 is a just like a car without brakes, that bug is stuck to "unconfirmed" for months altough even a 4 year old child is able to reproduce it) but reaper also allowed me to "fix" it thanks to a vst extension, awesome!
anyway, I'm now sure that "unconfirmed" doesn't mean "ignored", and dunno why, but I think it's the case for your issue, it's not ignored (I rather suspect such bugs being tied to tricky design stuff beyound our mortal perception).