Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #41
Sibben
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
I dont bother disabling services (uneccessary since win7 IMO) but the audio card manufacturer recommended OS tweaks make a ton of sense to this IT guy.
Sure. I was specifically talking about meddling with Windows services and features. That used to be important back in the days for any kind of serious workload while today the difference seems negligible. The last few versions of Windows are solid in this regard. The OS itself is quite efficient and high-performing out of the box. I also think the built in, and pretty unnoticeable anti-virus protection, is adequate for anyone with sensible internet habits. The tuning you mention, i.e. BIOS and system parameters, is a different story and those you'll definitely want to consider.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:13 AM   #42
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
Now...the bios tweaks (turn off cpu dynamic power and C-states) are ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL if you want low latency performance without Snap Crackle and Pop ruining the party. I use S-gear heavily and I need <10ms latency for it to sound good for realtime playing. This just isnt possible without these bios tweaks on my PC.
Yes to bios changes.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #43
bazsound

Ive been a full time linux user for 6 years just recently moved back to windows.

using windows 7 . my pc on linux was buttery smooth running lightweight desktop (lxde) was a dream on an old athlon 64 2ghz.

windows 7 horrible.

but as far as reaper is concerned it handled audio just aswell as kx studio with ardour.

windows needs all the crap you dont need removed, visual fx disabled etc.

theres always room for tweaks for specfici purposes all the fancy nancy gui stuff is taking up resources. get shot of it
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #44
Doc Brown

Why would we disable hyperthreading!?

That doesn't make sense to me. Isn't that part of what makes today's processors great? Basically virtual cores. Why would I intentionally hamstring my processor? I'm not a computer tech so forgive me for this not making much sense to me.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #45
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post

That doesn't make sense to me. Isn't that part of what makes today's processors great? Basically virtual cores. Why would I intentionally hamstring my processor? I'm not a computer tech so forgive me for this not making much sense to me.
Who said to disable hyper-threading? Definitely not....Disable the processor power states in the bios, that is very different.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:34 AM   #46
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound View Post
using windows 7 . my pc on linux was buttery smooth running lightweight desktop (lxde) was a dream on an old athlon 64 2ghz.

windows 7 horrible.
No, your computer is horrible. On my rig Windows 10 is supersmooth as well.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:26 AM   #47
LightOfDay
Banned

Quote:
Ive been a full time linux user for 6 years just recently moved back to windows.

windows 7 horrible.

but as far as reaper is concerned it handled audio just aswell as kx studio with ardour.

theres always room for tweaks for specfici purposes all the fancy nancy gui stuff is taking up resources. get shot of it
and of copurse doesnt Linux run any services in the background that are not needed? how much do you actually know about Linux? I mean "knowing" as opposed to "believing"?
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:36 AM   #48
richie43

Quote:

windows 7 horrible.

Of course Windows 7 was horrible for you, you tried it on an old and weaker CPU. And of course linux ran well on it (I am a huge linux user, just not for audio...another topic). But as I keep saying, as far as I am concerned, the days are over that any dev (be it a developer of software, and OS, whatever) should bother to develop their stuff for that old "lean and mean" mentality. 5 years ago I would have said the opposite and advocated all of the tweaks and paring down of the OS.....But 5 years ago my "monster" computer was a simple Core2 Quad, which was enough as long as I trimmed things down.
I think that as technology advances (in any application), I see less and less reasons to focus on the technology doing more with less, especially when given the capabilities, we should all be working towards doing more with more. I am not speaking in a global way, I am not suggesting bigger and hungrier everything (I am a dedicated environmentalist, a stingy and thrifty sort), but I see no reason to worry about how much resources an idle OS uses when that OS is installed on a machine that has HUGE amounts more resources to feed that OS and all of the needs (and with resources to spare). No matter how I look at it, I am still getting MUCH more done now than I ever did with a "lean and mean" OS and application configuration.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:31 AM   #49
Nystagmus

Default i used to use windows

http://BlackViper.com is still a good resource for knowing which services can be set to manual or disabled. Be sure to read the instructions matching your OS version (the configurations are arranged according to OS version).

There are different tiers of "risk" sort of like novice and expert modes as well as the factory defaults with everything normal.

Even if you choose not to implement these tweaks they are very educational in terms of revealing just how many different non-essential services are running on a fresh install.

Also, if you are looking for more tweaks, a lot of the Vista tweaks will possibly work for 7, and 8, and maybe 10. And even some of the XP tweaks will work for Vista through 10. Not all tweaks are OS-version-dependent. Some of them are filesystem tweaks (such as disabling last file access logging).

Good luck
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:32 AM   #50
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Who said to disable hyper-threading? Definitely not....Disable the processor power states in the bios, that is very different.

Steinberg. See post #40.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...-for-daws.html
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #51
karbomusic

Quote:
Just for academic purposes, from that article, emphasis by me:

Quote:
We usually recommended to turn off Hyper-Threading whenever performance issues occur.
Meaning that aligns with what I'd usually recommend... Make changes you know affect your performance instead of the spray and pray approach. There are often instances due to complexity and differences between systems where making a change has the opposite of the intended effect. Also, setting "audio reading/processing" threads in Reaper to match the number of physical cores may alleviate the need anyway but not sure.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-12-2015 at 08:20 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #52
richie43

Quote:
It also says that the suggestion pertains specifically to older versions of their software....ha ha...don't disable hyper-threading!!
Old 09-13-2015, 07:46 AM   #53
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquins Void View Post
I've done a tonne of tweaks, but none for performance I think. Priority for background services maybe.
I've:
Installed a theme with visible borders on the windows.

Explorer: removed onedrive, quick access, "user" folders, turned libraries back on. Disabled adaptive folder view.

Turned off all that data sharing stuff.

Uninstalled all those apps that lack uninstallers (xbox etc). You can uninstall them properly from the power shell.

Cleaned up the mess of firewall rules and set it to block outgoing by default.(There are so many allow rules in that firewall by default you have to wonder why they even bother.)

Set the old windows image view as the default. It's still there.
This sounds reasonable.

The thing is, I look back on my post Win 3.11 tweaking, and I think "gee, I wish I could get that time back". System starts munching with X number of plugins, tweak for 3 hours or more, get X+2 more plugins to run. Whoopee.

I am going to try to take a different tack with Windows 10.

This is the 21st century. I've got what I would have thought of 10 years ago as a "frak ton of memory", fast quadruple core I5, solid state drive (a watershed technology for computers IMO - biggest performance leap since EMM386...)

So I'm not going to do anything (except maybe remove Onedrive. That still rubs my geek sensibility wrong. If they had allowed integration of you cloud service dujour I'd think differently). Turn off the snooping of course.

Otherwise - what am I going to gain?

In my experience with having used computers since the Sinclair ZX81 era (and actually before that, a pre-teen with AS360s and PUNCH CARDS...), as Moore's Law has progressed, tweaking has reached diminishing returns and is usually motivated by frustration with hardware limitation.

I've wasted too much time tweaking computers (and tweaking amps/gear), learning about tech that fades away annually. I maintain the adage that if you leave a Windows machine be, ala a Mac - it will be just as stable. I prefer plain and stable versus "tweaked to the nth degree for a (possible) 5% gain". That 5% is less and less noticeable the faster your machine gets, and less and less needed for the same reason.

If nothing is interfering, I'm going to leave it alone.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #54
Magicbuss

Quote:

I dont disable hyperthreading ESPECIALLY since Reaper was and still is WAY ahead of the curve in utilizing multi core processing.

IMO That recommendation is a holdover from certain older hardware, other DAWS and older OS's.
Magicbuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:35 AM   #55
kenz

It's not about doing more with more but doing the same faster, especially when most of the more is things you don't care about. But there's another side of it: security.

In fact, it can be a bad thing: any service that runs is vulnerable to possible exploits. The more you have, the more chances of it being compromised. Why even have shit run that you don't use?!? You have to understand that it's in Microsoft or OEM's interest to ship you with bloat, not because they want to give you useability or "do more with more".

Services that start up automatically are just retarded to begin with, instead of on demand. If you don't use bluetooth for example, why should it run and be a potential security risk? Common sense.

Like you said this is the 21st century. Why would the operating system still use antiquated rules of loading so much bloat instead of as-needed (and possibly even automatically unloading them when not needed, but we know that isn't going to happen).

Compilers advance as well and produce better code, yet bloat is the example to the contrary. Just because the CPU gets faster doesn't mean you should tolerate more bloat. Software, not just hardware, is in the 21st century as well. Programs should be leaner and faster by themselves, advances in compiler technology.

Why is it that operating systems still are as dumb as ever in regards to tweaks/services, actually they're even worse? Just look at the disaster Adobe Flash is in terms of bloat and security, perfect definition of bloat going out of hand and common sheep tolerating it.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #56
vanhaze

Well said : Amen.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #57
richie43

I keep saying the same thing....I may agree with many of you, but the one definite thing I am seeing is that my system has been more and more stable starting from 7, to 8.1, and now 10. No tweaks and all production. You all can tweak to your tweaker's heart's content, I have no incentive or interest in messing with an OS that works wondrously for me. Make Back-ups by the way, in case I never mentioned that......
Old 09-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #58
karbomusic

Use Linux etc. if the same faster is what keeps you up late at night and barebones tweakability titillates you. I don't think those who run Reaper on a Windows OS without tweaks and without issues need to be concerned with "how computing at large should be accomplished for the well being of our species". One should join a support group or start an initiative outside of this thread if one has some ethical computing problem with that; its another thread and another topic.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-14-2015 at 12:37 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #59
Gangstarprophet

Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4johnny View Post
Hello, can anyone point me to a list of tweaks for win10 to optimize for audio recording? What services I can disable among other things.

Thanks
https://www.facebook.com/alexander.w...75561642679492
Old 09-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #60
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4johnny View Post
Hello, can anyone point me to a list of tweaks for win10 to optimize for audio recording? What services I can disable among other things.
This website has been around several years and is very comprehensive...

http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/.

Enjoy, (but be careful).

Old 09-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #61
Nystagmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
It's not about doing more with more but doing the same faster, especially when most of the more is things you don't care about. But there's another side of it: security.

In fact, it can be a bad thing: any service that runs is vulnerable to possible exploits. The more you have, the more chances of it being compromised. Why even have shit run that you don't use?!? You have to understand that it's in Microsoft or OEM's interest to ship you with bloat, not because they want to give you useability or "do more with more".

Services that start up automatically are just retarded to begin with, instead of on demand. If you don't use bluetooth for example, why should it run and be a potential security risk? Common sense.

Like you said this is the 21st century. Why would the operating system still use antiquated rules of loading so much bloat instead of as-needed (and possibly even automatically unloading them when not needed, but we know that isn't going to happen).

Compilers advance as well and produce better code, yet bloat is the example to the contrary. Just because the CPU gets faster doesn't mean you should tolerate more bloat. Software, not just hardware, is in the 21st century as well. Programs should be leaner and faster by themselves, advances in compiler technology.

Why is it that operating systems still are as dumb as ever in regards to tweaks/services, actually they're even worse? Just look at the disaster Adobe Flash is in terms of bloat and security, perfect definition of bloat going out of hand and common sheep tolerating it.
Very well said! i agree much. And what you are saying is echoed by certain security that log vulnerabilities.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:57 AM   #62
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
This is the 21st century.
Agree. I've been using both computers and the internet since the early days and I can honestly say computing has never been better. Never before has it been this cheap, simple, safe and powerful. The advances in technology as well as usability has made some incredible leaps. The things I can do, in almost any field, with minimum effort or investment has increased tremendously. Yet when I read internet forums there are endless discussions on operating systems being horrible, audio interfaces being crap, DAWs being unusable and cyber criminals robbing you as soon as you go online. I'm wondering if perhaps I live in a parallel universe?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #63
chip mcdonald

Well, on the subject of "this is the 21st century", in my opinion computers are not where they should be in terms of responsiveness and utility.

I'm continually amazed that I can dictate to Google Voice and it gets 80% of what I say. It's on the far side of the uncanny valley of speech recognition; but it seems to me we should already be "there" by now.

Self-configuration should be a "thing". Consistency in latency of responsiveness of UI elements should be a priority - the interface layer should not be open to "tampering" or performance sharing, I'm tired of programs/apps I would otherwise like, if only I didn't have to regard certain actions as being "oh yeah, that thing that if I click it I might have to wait 10 seconds before it responds".

Just leave said option out.

I long for the days of DOS when things responded instantly, always the same way, and you could count on it to always work - even if the interface looked basic and garish.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #64
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
I long for the days of DOS when things responded instantly, always the same way, and you could count on it to always work - even if the interface looked basic and garish.
You mean when if a floppy was having a bad day Word Perfect would take two minutes instead of one to open a small file. When your work depended on that floppy because all 20 mb of your $900 hard drive was used up.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #65
tgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
You mean when if a floppy was having a bad day Word Perfect would take two minutes instead of one to open a small file. When your work depended on that floppy because all 20 mb of your $900 hard drive was used up.
My first computer in 1980 was a TI 99/4a with 16k of memory and 16 colors that you could peek and poke to make it do a few small things... vertical interrupts, etc. When being computer literate meant being able to program... The operating systems were basically just the interface between the keyboard and screen and chips. 60 gig flash drive for under $30? I don't think so. While I still think plug and play should be much easier, these days are heaven compared to the 'golden old days'.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:32 PM   #66
DBMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I keep saying the same thing....I may agree with many of you, but the one definite thing I am seeing is that my system has been more and more stable starting from 7, to 8.1, and now 10. No tweaks and all production. You all can tweak to your tweaker's heart's content, I have no incentive or interest in messing with an OS that works wondrously for me. Make Back-ups by the way, in case I never mentioned that......
I'm glad all the useless bullshit that runs on your PC is wondrously good for you. So go be happy about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post

Well said. Agree completely.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:39 PM   #67
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMusic View Post
I'm glad all the useless bullshit that runs on your PC is wondrously good for you. So go be happy about it.
And I am equally glad that you have time and energy to "tweak" your system. Go be happy doing that while I am working with audio on a problem-free system.
Ok, no need to be snarky, but you started it.
As I have said, I am not necessarily a fan of some of the extra stuff on any OS. But I don't see the need anymore to do anything about it, especially at the risk of causing problems down the road (and making it harder to diagnose the problems because I screwed with the OS). I have a partition with some flavor of Linux on it for those tweaking needs, I have no reason to do that to my DAW anymore.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #68
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
This website has been around several years and is very comprehensive...

http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/.

Enjoy, (but be careful).

Thanks for this. Lots of crackling playing from keyboard, but none playing back same audio ..... indicating CPU/Disk Xfr strain, even though Reaper and Windows Performance Meters indicate no issues (no RAM problems either). Hoping BIOS Tweaks will resolve.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #69
hermitcrab

i'm a total novice on windows….I used to have an XP system years ago that me and a friend configured for audio and i stayed off line…it never put a foot wrong. whereas my online laptop slowed down to the point of stopping..

i've just got a dedicated audio pc with a custom install.

Should i stay off line or is it safe to go online to authorise and dowload plugins, watch kenny's youtube videos etc ??
hermitcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #70
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitcrab View Post
i'm a total novice on windows….I used to have an XP system years ago that me and a friend configured for audio and i stayed off line…it never put a foot wrong. whereas my online laptop slowed down to the point of stopping..

i've just got a dedicated audio pc with a custom install.

Should i stay off line or is it safe to go online to authorise and dowload plugins, watch kenny's youtube videos etc ??
Blimey, someone made you really paranoid!
Keep your machine online, use it how you want, just use your head.
Stay away from celebrity gossip links. Don't download software from dodgy torrent sites. Don't open attachments from people you do not trust. Use anti virus and firewall. Check every download (even from big companies) with your anti virus.
Avoid following links on your email; find companies you are involved with/buying from through your browser, not clicking on "their" links, unless you are 100% sure. Banks should never contact you that way anyway.

Keep away from the seedy side of the net and you should be fine.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #71
hermitcrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Blimey, someone made you really paranoid!
Keep your machine online, use it how you want, just use your head.
Stay away from celebrity gossip links. Don't download software from dodgy torrent sites. Don't open attachments from people you do not trust. Use anti virus and firewall. Check every download (even from big companies) with your anti virus.
Avoid following links on your email; find companies you are involved with/buying from through your browser, not clicking on "their" links, unless you are 100% sure. Banks should never contact that way anyway.

Keep away from the seedy side of the net and you should be fine. After dodgy torrent sites celebrity gossip links are probably the most common fishing sites for the pirates (mixing metaphors there!).
I wouldn't even know how to check downloads for viruses on my new windows 10 ? the company i got it from 'carillon audio' said the anti virus is all integrated. So i don't need to do anything right ?

It sounds like i am better off staying off line with my lack of knowledge here.

my experience on previous windows versions is that the internet slowly kills performance. my mac hasn't gone the same way but i am back on pc now.

Last edited by hermitcrab; 05-05-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #72
Softsynth

Quote:
I wouldn't even know how to check downloads for viruses ? the company i got it from 'carillon audio' said the anti virus is all integrated. So i don't need to do anything right ?

It sounds like i am better off staying off line with my lack of knowledge here.
For now perhaps.
You should become more familiar with computers if you are attempting to make or edit music with one!
Be aware that using a DAW will be an uphill struggle for you. I would say using any DAW is pretty advanced computing next to the day to day basics of running a PC while being able to avoid potential viruses.

Downloads: Typically you can right click on a file and one of the options is to use your anti virus to check the file. Do this before opening downloads from the net, or say friends CDRs.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #73
Softsynth

Quote:

my experience on previous windows versions is that the internet slowly kills performance. my mac hasn't gone the same way but i am back on pc now.
My guess is you downloaded lots of app's that you did not need. Filling up hard drives is another obvious performance killer, and of course viruses.

Obviously (for the most part) you should not be running internet programs at the same time as running your DAW.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #74
hermitcrab

Quote:
For now perhaps.
You should become more familiar with computers if you are attempting to make or edit music with one!
Be aware that using a DAW will be an uphill struggle for you. I would say using any DAW is pretty advanced computing next to the day to day basics of running a PC while being able to avoid potential viruses.

Downloads: Typically you can right click on a file and one of the options is to use your anti virus to check the file. Do this before opening downloads from the net, or say friends CDRs.
thanks for the download advice. These type of things just don't come naturally to me or most people i know to be honest. never studied up on it though….

unlike DAW's. Ive been using DAW's for over 10 years on both mac and pc. I'm probably pretty crap with them but once i know how to use them i manage.

downloaded loads of apps on my mac, never been a problem. never used to download software on my old pc's but they ground to a halt pretty quick. viruses. never watched porn but looked at plenty of giants pictures !

might just risk online to get plugins set up as it aint working out too well downloading onto mac and transferring via usb 2. very slow and problems.

Last edited by hermitcrab; 05-05-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:34 PM   #75
Softsynth

Quote:
thanks for the dowload advice. These type of things just don't come naturally to me or most people i know to be honest.

Ive been using DAW's for over 10 years on both mac and pc. I'm probably pretty crap with them but once i know how to use them i can.
Using the internet and staying clean should be doddle then. Maybe pick up a Windows magazine, read some articles in print for internet beginners.

If you have mastered the basics of a DAW using the net without these worries should be easy to pick up.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #76
hermitcrab

Quote:
Using the internet and staying clean should be doddle then. Maybe pick up a Windows magazine, read some articles in print for internet beginners.

If you have mastered the basics of a DAW using the net without these worries should be easy to pick up.
sounds like a good plan anyway but if i can't look up giants or go on celebheights and click on random photos then i think i will just stay on mac for net and have to file transfer via usb 3 from my wife's pc laptop = a pain.

its a shame if you still have to take all these precautions on windows as it spoils the experience of going online and looking up whatever i want. i was under the impression things have moved on with windows 10 security but maybe not.

kind of wishing i just accepted the performance issues of laptop and stayed macbook pro for new system now as not being online is very limiting and requires a second laptop as well as audio system. oh well. thats what you get for wanting/needing a desktop cpu laptop.

Last edited by hermitcrab; 05-05-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #77
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuehl View Post
THIS is way behind the times. Most users have at least i5 or i7's with quad up to 8 cores, and most also have a gig or 2 set aside just for graphics.

So, most of what's on this list as far as shutting down normal operating functions should be ignored.

What this list actually is, is it's just the old XP or early 7 list with the name Win 10 inserted instead. Sure, turn off system sounds, so you don't have OS bleeps and bloops ending up on a track, turn off other obvious stupid things like internet interference of any kind, but no need to mess with your graphics and make your PC ugly just for a DAW's sake. I've never even used that on the old, weak PCs and never an issue even then.

Meanwhile, I have permanent shut down some of Windows always-on and nearly useless services. My recording PCs will never see the internet, so anything related to that just gone forever. No need for virus or walled protection: anything coming in by stick has been scanned twice already before ever being plugged in. I have about 45 services/programmes MAX running after startup on recording PCs, that's before booting up any audio stuff besides interface(s). Works great. Never a trouble. Oh, and still on Win 7.

I really like Viper's website. As mentioned often, a must-see if you are really interested in all this stuff.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #78
Softsynth

Quote:
sounds like a good plan anyway but if i can't look up giants or go on celebheights and click on random photos then i think i will just stay on mac for net and have to file transfer via usb 3 from my wife's pc laptop = a pain.

its a shame if you still have to take all these precautions on windows as it spoils the experience of going online and looking up whatever i want. i was under the impression things have moved on with windows 10 security but maybe not.

kind of wishing i just accepted the performance issues of laptop and stayed macbook pro for new system now as not being online is very limiting and requires a second laptop as well as audio system. oh well. thats what you get for wanting/needing a desktop cpu laptop.
I do not know site specifics. If that is a well known site then I highly doubt you should have any issues.
Most of the time you can look at pretty much anything on the net.
The links to celeb articles I mean are the kind that are attached to news site articles, that is a well known fishing ploy. Classic bait line "look what x celebrity looks like now!"
Old 05-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #79
hermitcrab

Quote:
I do not know site specifics. If that is a well known site then I highly doubt you should have any issues.
Most of the time you can look at pretty much anything on the net.
The links to celeb articles I mean are the kind that are attached to news site articles, that is a well known fishing ploy. Classic bait line "look what x celebrity looks like now!"
no, sure its all very good windows net advice what you say. however, my experience on an old vista laptop with up to date anti virus and being careful like you suggest ( except for giant photos - my little weakness with virtually no software or downloads, (net only basically) lead to a very slow browsing system within 2 years, and i didn't even use a DAW on it ! it was a very well spec'ed laptop too. Local tech repair shop said viruses but didn't have a clue how to fix it !

This is why i am sceptical of win 10 on net. will just have to take the pain and usb stick it.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #80
Softsynth

Quote:
no, sure its all very good windows net advice what you say. however, my experience on an old vista laptop with up to date anti virus and being careful like you suggest ( except for giant photos - my little weakness with virtually no software or downloads, (net only basically) lead to a very slow browsing system within 2 years, and i didn't even use a DAW on it ! it was a very well spec'ed laptop too. Local tech repair shop said viruses but didn't have a clue how to fix it !

This is why i am sceptical of win 10 on net. will just have to take the pain and usb stick it.
I'm sure your local techie was right regarding viruses.
The absolute safest way is of course staying offline. This applies to Macs too, just that they have less to worry about.