Old 05-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #81
hermitcrab
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
I'm sure your local techie was right regarding viruses.
The absolute safest way is of course staying offline. This applies to Macs too, just that they have less to worry about.
yip, mac been ok on net solid for 5 years being mostly careful, no anti virus installed.

Thinking about it there's no way i want to risk this expensive new audio system on line. Once all my plugins are set up i will be good to go and on the bright side at least it will stop me from trying out all the latest greatest plugins instead of making music ! thats like a bloody disease.

thanks for the help man.
hermitcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #82
zookthespook

Hi
Both my desktops have been running win 10 for the past six month's. Both deliver great performance. My shift from win7 was pretty seamless barring the admini privilege BS which I have been lazy enough not to disable yet , which had caused some plugin authorization issues. My machine are constantly online .the only antivirus that you need is microsoft security essentials. Since the time computer clock speeds have gone up and 24 gigs of ram is not a luxury ( on desktops) I stopped looking under the hood win10 felt lighter and faster on my workstation by default somehow .
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #83
jerome_oneil

The single best Win10 "tweak" I've ever used is this.

Create a folder on the desktop.

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

You can change "GodMode" to anything you want but get the hex in the brackets exactly right. I used "The One to Rule Them All."

The folder icon will change to the Control Panel icon. Open the folder. You will be presented with a list of every configurable option Win 10 has to offer.

Shit works.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #84
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitcrab View Post
yip, mac been ok on net solid for 5 years being mostly careful, no anti virus installed.

Thinking about it there's no way i want to risk this expensive new audio system on line. Once all my plugins are set up i will be good to go and on the bright side at least it will stop me from trying out all the latest greatest plugins instead of making music ! thats like a bloody disease.

thanks for the help man.
All of my DAWs have been online for over 5 years now and I have had zero problems. I practice "safe surfing" and run an on-demand scanner once in a while. The real-time Windows Defender with Windows 10 is actually very good and for the first time ever in my DAW use I have no reason to disable the AV. I will never go back to doing software and plugin updates with an offline computer. Just my opinion and experience, of course.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #85
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post

You can change "GodMode" to anything you want but get the hex in the brackets exactly right. I used "The One to Rule Them All."

The folder icon will change to the Control Panel icon. Open the folder. You will be presented with a list of every configurable option Win 10 has to offer.

Shit works.
Wow...this is very interesting.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #86
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Wow...this is very interesting.
Yep, goes back to at least Windows 7, similar in XP I think but more steps.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #87
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Yep, goes back to at least Windows 7, similar in XP I think but more steps.
After posting here, I remembered the words "God Mode" from somewhere...I had a txt file with a similar hex code from 3 or 4 years ago...I guess I thought it was "wow, very interesting" then too....lol
Old 05-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #88
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:

Shit works.
Nice to know it works without issues in Win 10. I was wondering about that a while ago. Good stuff in there, tho I only use about half at most.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:41 PM   #89
panicaftermath

Quote:
Shit works.
It does.

And the same folder name works in W8.1.

panicaftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:05 PM   #90
panicaftermath

I think it's just impractical to remain offline, no matter what you use the computer for, DAWing included.

XLN Audio, who make Addictive Drums, have a support page all about the internet on audio computers. It makes for interesting reading.

Their conclusion (typo included! ):

Quote:
As a company, it becomes increasingly difficult for us to support two very different paths of development; online and offline. We decided to focus on the online path, because we truly belive it is the way of the future and because it provides great benefits for a vast majority of our users.
http://www.xlnaudio.com/support

It should be noted that with Addictive Drums 2 (or maybe prior?) XLN introduced an elaborate, standalone, and required "Online Installer" program for installation and updates that feels very influenced by W10 in its total blending of the various update-promotion-licensing functions, just like Microsoft has now done with Windows Update. XLN's system is similar to what NI does with its "Service Center," but seems more modern and advanced in how those functions are blended. They also make customizing the AD installation (eg, pathing) more difficult (often thanks to a slick looking but rough and unfriendly UI), another trend consistent with the evolution of Windows.

This is modern computing. Tweak on, while you can.

Last edited by panicaftermath; 05-05-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:13 PM   #91
panicaftermath

Not a W10 tweak, but there is lots of usability goodness to be had with AutoHotKey.

http://ahkscript.org/
Old 05-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #92
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
If you're looking to disable services to run your DAW your probably way under specced as any half-decent computer should run REAPER just fine withount any tweaks on the very latest version of Windows. The footprint of background services is not significant in the way it used to with the exception of some very aggressive anti-virus scanners or malware. YMMV.
I disagree. In my experience, you can easily get a worse performing PC than a lower specced one if you don't tune Windows (especially W10) correctly.

But to add to the topic, here are some interesting links:
http://www.optimizingpc.com/windows7..._services.html

Black Viper’s Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations

Black Viper’s Windows 10 Service Configurations

Last edited by lolilol1975; 05-06-2016 at 12:27 AM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:23 AM   #93
hermitcrab

first plugin i tried to install and authorise off line was a right p.i.t.a so am going to go on line for authorisations and downloads to get this set up as it would take ages off line it seems.
hermitcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #94
The Telenator
Banned

panicaftermath: I think it's just impractical to remain offline, no matter what you use the computer for, DAWing included.

XLN Audio, who make Addictive Drums, have a support page all about the internet on audio computers. It makes for interesting reading.

Their conclusion (typo included! ):

Quote:
As a company, it becomes increasingly difficult for us to support two very different paths of development; online and offline. We decided to focus on the online path, because we truly belive it is the way of the future and because it provides great benefits for a vast majority of our users.
http://www.xlnaudio.com/support

This has not been my experience at all with the many companies I do business with and the task of the off-line registration.

I buy a lot of software and have had no issues.

I don't know much about a piddly little company named XLN, but if they want my business -- that is, my money -- they had better accommodate me.

These days there is such great variety and options in choosing top software, that the few times I have had any problem at all (rare) with some firm or its product, I have quickly and effortlessly turned to yet another maker and have been totally satisfied.

Granted, sometimes a company needs a little reminder of which is the seller and which the customer, but it's amazing what a fistful of dollars will do. They wise up in due time.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #95
The Telenator
Banned

Forgot to include above:

Regarding security and software safety, the American television show called "60 Minutes" recently aired a most revealing current state of affairs regarding all of this. None of our computers or phones -- none of them -- are safe no matter what protection you use. Watch the show if you don't believe this. There are others out there who are expert and saying just the same.

I don't know the situation of others, but my audio and business files and setup are far too important to my career and my security to risk hanging any of them out on an internet connection -- especially when there is absolutely no need!

The rest of you do what you want, but I assure you, the kind of hacking and security breaches and theft today and so far are nothing like you are going to see coming up very soon.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:59 AM   #96
ivansc

Agreed 100% Tele - I use my laptop for internettery and the studio machine only ever goes online for updates that cant be done offline.
And FWIW I believe there is provision in the XLN audio stuff now to do updates offline as well.
I will have to check that one out.

Last edited by ivansc; 05-07-2016 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Aaron Spelling
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #97
The Telenator
Banned

ivansc: "I use my laptop for internettery and the studio machine only ever goes online for updates that cant be done offline."

Same here, except the latest Win 7 I bought has the full platform update already and is current to mid-2015, so I haven't needed any updating. The lappy scans on downloads and I do one more later. I use a Linux boot on that one when online.

I see now why I didn't immediately recall what XLN makes -- it's Addictive Drummer (and Keys). I'm favouring Superior Drummer these days and would likely choose Slate's if I went to another. So I don't really have any need for XLN, though I've heard that AD is okay.

In all these threads that touch on security at some point, everyone is so clueless about what is going down now and also on the horizon for online theft! Windows is notorious for its bad browser security and its slowness to fix gaping holes. Hackers are well on their way into dismantling Apple's systems. Even the iPhone 7 has been hacked now. There is simply NO antivirus or protection that can stop today's best hackers. On "60 Minutes", they hacked into a U.S. Senator's phone in 5 minutes, just to show how easy it is, and had his complete phone records in 15, had his actual conversations in 20 ... could tell if he spoke to the prez. and what was said, etc.

Hacks are so easy now that they'll whack anyone's system just on the lark that you might have goodies or contacts they can exploit. It's 1 out of 5 in most countries who have had some kind of security breach. People need to do the maths. Everyone's number is up. Worst thing is, say they find nothing of use; well, they may wipe you anyway just to cover their tracks. You boot up the next morning? Nothing left but your crippled OS.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #98
haervo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
had his actual conversations in 20 ... could tell if he spoke to the prez. and what was said, etc.
Did the senator record his conversations with the president or where did the hackers get these?

I think - not to put aside all the security issues - there is way too much paranoia going on. On the other hand, a tad too much paranoia can be good thing, especially regarding these things. But it has to be believable at least and not stupidly made up nonsense, what could be really fast counterproductive.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:48 AM   #99
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
I see now why I didn't immediately recall what XLN makes -- it's Addictive Drummer (and Keys). I'm favouring Superior Drummer these days and would likely choose Slate's if I went to another. So I don't really have any need for XLN, though I've heard that AD is okay.
I would wait on Slate 5 (beta just announced) rather than going for 4.
I have/had major issues with SSD4 - to the point where it is just sitting unused at present. Shame, as the little bit of it I ever got working sounded great, as does all of SSD3.5, which runs under kontakt.
Only ever use AD for layering with superior or EZD2 these days.
BUT there are some excellent Kontakt-driven offerings from Analogue drums as well, which get a lot of use from me. Splitsticks for example has a flavour that I cant get with EZX Americana, even though I really like the Americana soundset for the most part.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #100
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'm not planning on purchasing anything from the app store constantly, so I don't need the catalog thing, also, my daw is not a touch screen. How do you setup the windows 10 GUI, for someone like me?

I would like my start button to bring up a more relevant list than what I see on some of my other PC"s that use windows 10. I'm about to upgrade the main one, and don't really like the behaviour I see on the other PC's I have
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:28 AM   #101
Heart Doctor

Default "GLITCH FREE" written by Brad Robinson

Brad Robinson from Cantabile Software has written a free e-book / PDF manual related to this topic:

GLITCH FREE
An in-depth guide to tuning Windows for reliable real-time audio performance.

The manual is based on Windows 7, but most of his tips are also relevant for Windows 10.

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/
Heart Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:35 AM   #102
vanhaze

Wow, many thanks for the tip !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote