Old 08-08-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
silksow
Human being with feelings

Default What? VST3?! Thanks osxmidi!

Wow! Has anybody else discovered LinVst3? Normally I wouldn't be so excited about this, as I usually just use regular old vst, but I have a ton of past projects using vst3 that I'd resigned myself to either dealing with on my dual boot Win7 or going through the grueling process of rebuilding with the regular vst versions if they even exist. Thank you thank you thank you osxmidi.

Only one issue resolution will make my life complete: Reaper seems to see them as, or at least list them in the fx browser as VST, not VST3. So of course projects using the VST3 plugins don't believe they're there. But they totally are, and they totally work
Old 08-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Glennbo

Does it co-exist with the original VST2 version, or replace it and handles both VST2 and VST3? I've always avoided VST3 when I was using Windows, so my projects from those days load without issue in most cases.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
silksow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Does it co-exist with the original VST2 version
It does, LinVst handles those.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Glennbo

Thanks, I may set it up and try it out if it doesn't break what is working perfectly right now.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
silksow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Thanks, I may set it up and try it out if it doesn't break what is working perfectly right now.
I created a new WINEPREFIX that I call .winvstUgly lol just for Waves and other plugins using hoggish protection schemes and other potential troublemakers. Once you have that set up, you can reset the environment variable back to your default prefix and add the new locations to Reaper's plugin paths.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by silksow View Post
I created a new WINEPREFIX that I call .winvstUgly lol just for Waves and other plugins using hoggish protection schemes and other potential troublemakers. Once you have that set up, you can reset the environment variable back to your default prefix and add the new locations to Reaper's plugin paths.
I haven't yet had a need to create a separate wine prefix, but it sounds like I would want to if I decide to try messing around with the VST3 version of LinVST.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
azslow3

A bit off topic. There will be no new "absolute license clean" VST2 plug-ins. Since almost a year it is impossible to get new license for VST2 development.
VST3 has GPL3 license (with one questionable legal addition to that license, but still). VST3 not GPL3 license is a horror (f.e. developers MUST switch to newer version(s) once Steinberg release it, Steinberg can cancel any license (there is no words it should clarify why)) along other questionable parts.

I mean there is no real choice, future plug-ins will be VST3 or something else. I really hope REAPER will support something else on Win/Lin. Even Apple license is better than what comes from Cubase house...
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
A bit off topic. There will be no new "absolute license clean" VST2 plug-ins. Since almost a year it is impossible to get new license for VST2 development.
VST3 has GPL3 license (with one questionable legal addition to that license, but still). VST3 not GPL3 license is a horror (f.e. developers MUST switch to newer version(s) once Steinberg release it, Steinberg can cancel any license (there is no words it should clarify why)) along other questionable parts.

I mean there is no real choice, future plug-ins will be VST3 or something else. I really hope REAPER will support something else on Win/Lin. Even Apple license is better than what comes from Cubase house...
For me, any new plugins I get are going to be native Linux VSTs, so I only need compatibility with the existing Windows VSTs I already have, and all of them have VST2 versions.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
silksow

Yes, yes, I know - doesn't affect everyone, some of us resent Steinberg, etc etc - But obviously osxmidi thought it was important enough to dedicate countless hours into helping others with projects that depend on VST3 support (not to mention his inarguably vital work on the regular LinVst). Take a look, maybe learn something new about the tools of the trade: https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst3

I don't have the chops (yet) to contribute to the community the way he does, so I'm doing what I can here by trying to engage other intrepid/desperate souls. Please ignore if you don't have hundreds or thousands invested in plugins you enjoy using or simply want to open Windows Reaper projects in Linux. We're incredibly fortunate to have those options.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:56 PM   #10
Glennbo

I do plan to set up osxmidi's VST3 support and have a few older projects that were created in REAPER for Windows that use VST3 plugins to test with.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
audiojunkie

This is great!! Thank you OSXMidi!!! I also think he's going the best route by having them be two separate programs. This way, it will be easier for him to manage. :-)
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #12
silksow

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
This is great!! Thank you OSXMidi!!! I also think he's going the best route by having them be two separate programs.
It really is great Have you tried it? The latest version, 1.62, appends "[vst3]" to the plugin name. But unless it's just weirdness on my setup, which it very well could be, it still appears to show up as VST2. This might be by design? Because native Linux Reaper doesn't support VST3? However, I'm pretty sure it's LinVst3 that CREATED VST3 and VST3i folders! I swear those weren't there before. It's beta, so that could just be some temporary coding infrastructure. I'm pretty sure Reaper isn't just replacing the VST2 version (which I have first in the Reaper plugin paths) since the VST3 is renamed. It's being replaced and THEN renamed. Maybe, lol.

Confusing, disorienting...and exciting.