Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Once it flattens, I'd call it a limiter. I'll make the same point I made in some other thread months back...

How come words like compression and limiting seem to mean "every second of the audio" to everyone discussing, though when used properly, they often only act once in awhile and a very small amount? I could create a mix with compression and limiting all over it and you'd not know it, because all those tools have KNOBS.
Spot on. For limiting, especially on drums I like to put a drum track up until I'm getting a peak light every now and then from the loudest bits. Then I'll slap a brickwall limiter on it just to tame those few peaks.

As for compression, I use it more to accentuate transients using slow attack times than to squash things, although there have been instances where I've done stuff like triple or quadruple compress a part or vocal with the idea that each iteration is only dusting off the very loudest peaks, and by using multiple instances, there is no pumping or loss of clarity.

Just last year I sold my last hardware compressor which was an FMR Audio RNC (Really Nice Compressor), which could act like a single stage compressor, or when you pressed it's "Super Nice" button, employed triple stage compression like I was referring to.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote