Old 08-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
pradics
Human being with feelings

Default Latency Problem

I currently have downloaded Reaper and tried to set up my guitar with a Presonus Firebox. As I play notes on the guitar, I hear the sound from my speaker almost 350 ms later. I think the problem could be I don't have a sound card installed at the moment, I am using the sound from the motherboard. Any ideas on how to fix this latency issue? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Will a purchase of a decent sound card help me?

Paul
pradics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
sstillwell

Absolutely a good soundcard (more importantly, with good DRIVERS) will help.

But before you give up on your onboard soundcard, try downloading ASIO4ALL ( http://www.asio4all.com/ ) and install it. You'll configure it to use your onboard sound card and set latency there.

After it's configured, switch Reaper to use ASIO drivers and select the ASIO4ALL driver in Options > Preferences > Audio > Device.

You'll have to find a balance between a small ASIO buffer size (short latency) and acceptable performance (short buffers can cause the card to start stuttering or dropping samples).

Hope this helps.

Scott
sstillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
pradics

Any suggestions for a good sound card for this type of application? I might as well get one if I am going to get serious with recording. Thanks for the fast response Scott.

Paul
Old 08-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Alistair S

I'm confused.. surely the Firebox IS a soundcard?

Is it just a matter of adjusting latency on the Firebox?
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
Diogenes

Yes, the Presonus FireBOX is a darn fine Audio/MIDI interface which uses Firewire to carry 6 in and 10 audio channels out plus MIDI IN/OUT.

Check their website for latest drivers and software. I can run mine at 2ms no problem for basic tracking.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
pradics

Yes I understand that the Firebox is an interface for my guitar, I am going to purchase a new Bluegears Enspirer sound card from Newegg.com. When I get it, I will post an update as to the latency issue.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Alistair S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradics View Post
Yes I understand that the Firebox is an interface for my guitar, I am going to purchase a new Bluegears Enspirer sound card from Newegg.com. When I get it, I will post an update as to the latency issue.
I still don't understand you. The Firebox isn't just an interface for your guitar. It is a soundcard.

The playback while you use Reaper is via the Firebox that you selected in preferences, not any other soundcard on your system.

Outside Reaper, you could disable any other soundcard and just use the Firebox (set it up as the main audio device in the control panel).

Have you adjusted your latency settings in Prefs/Audio/Device (and then pressed the ASIO configuration)? I assume you are using ASIO drivers? There should be a setting in there so you can adjust latency.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
pradics

I guess I am more ignorant than I thought. I did not realize that the Presonus is also a sound card. I am at work now, so I am guessing that I did not see the option for ASIO drivers. I will look when I get home to do more research. Thank you for your help Alistair.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
scottdru

Quite right! You don't need to buy a new sound card! You need to learn how to use the one you have.

This is something that confuses a lot of people who are new to computer recording.

Here's a good article for you to read for starters:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan0...pcmusician.htm

- Eddie Izzard
scottdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
Alistair S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradics View Post
I guess I am more ignorant than I thought. I did not realize that the Presonus is also a sound card. I am at work now, so I am guessing that I did not see the option for ASIO drivers. I will look when I get home to do more research. Thank you for your help Alistair.
No problem, mate

This stuff is hellishly confusing at the start, and being not that long into it either, I would hate to see you waste money like I have
Old 08-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #11
flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstillwell View Post
But before you give up on your onboard soundcard, try downloading ASIO4ALL ( http://www.asio4all.com/ ) and install it. You'll configure it to use your onboard sound card and set latency there.

Scott
Interestingly enough, I find the Presonus drivers supplied with the Firepod to be pretty good. And I have not been able to get ASIO4ALL to work with the Firepod. Does it only work with USB and not Firewire? It used to work with another interface, which was USB based. If anyone has ASIO4All working with a Firepod, I'd like to hear of it.

flight
flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:19 AM   #12
Alistair S

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight View Post
Interestingly enough, I find the Presonus drivers supplied with the Firepod to be pretty good. And I have not been able to get ASIO4ALL to work with the Firepod. Does it only work with USB and not Firewire? It used to work with another interface, which was USB based. If anyone has ASIO4All working with a Firepod, I'd like to hear of it.

flight
If you have decent ASIO drivers that are specific to your card, I wouldn't bother trying ASIO4ALL. You will be better off with the ones you have. ASIO4ALL is useful when you have a card for which no ASIO drivers are supplied.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:04 PM   #13
pradics

I have success!! I went to the Presonus web site and downloaded the latest drivers for windows XP and voila! No latency now. All is well again. My next mission is to be able to save my project and be able to email that to friends. Isnt there just one file that can be sent. I dont think it is rpp extension.
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Very nice of you guys to support a newbie. Looking forward to recording at home.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #14
Alistair S

Go into file/render and create an mp3.. and send that
Old 08-13-2007, 10:26 AM   #15
pradics

Default Render to MP3

I have made a small project with my acoustic and added a lead guitar track to it as well. I then rendered it to a MP3 file and emailed. I had success.