Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 04-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Default Media Explorer: use Media Explorer volume for item when drag and drop is used

Function: An option to set any newly created item's volume to match media explorer's volume when dragging and dropping from the explorer.

This way it would be faster to add lots of sounds at once and do a rough level mix as you go along.

Right now they all come up at the default level, this would speed things up massively

Normally in the media explorer if your adding lots of loops one after the other (or perhaps adding additional ambience to a movie scene) you will tend to audition at the intended volume for that sound (especially if your playing back the arrangement at the time)

This means that if you drag this audio or double click to create a new track that track should get the volume of the media explorer's current setting.

This way your half way there with levels and it allows a more seamless way of adding sounds.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 02-10-2018 at 04:56 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
run, megalodon

Yes, very intuitive, big +1. No need to balance things out twice.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
timlloyd

Yes +1

very sensical request
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
musicbynumbers

roll up roll up!

also Tim, did you do any music courses in Leicester? I come from "the place" but not lived there for about 11 years thought I might know you.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
timlloyd

Unfortunately not ... only here for uni; I'm at DMU at the moment ... only a few months left

I would love to do a music degree - it's in my mind as a possible post-uni route.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
musicbynumbers

Default secret bump for this hopefully easy to do but great idea! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
Unfortunately not ... only here for uni; I'm at DMU at the moment ... only a few months left

I would love to do a music degree - it's in my mind as a possible post-uni route.
cool

Well, some may argue but if you want a nice place to do your degree, brighton has it's merits!

you may get a bit distracted though so maybe not a good idea!
Old 12-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
Allspice

Dr. Frankenstein Bump, this is still annoying Having the items placed into the Arrange View with their Item Volume matching the Volume Fader in the Media Explorer would be very helpful.

Currently when doing drag and drop arranging of samples, I'm setting a safe/usable auditioning volume in the Media Explorer and then grabbing my item volume knob to adjust it back to that level each time. A lot of sample libraries get up near 0 dbFS- think of the children's ears!
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
deeb

this always happens : ) +1 if easy to solve
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #9
deeb

almost forgotten: also do the same principle for time stretch! so that we can drag and drop stretched files to samplers directly
Old 01-02-2018, 11:32 PM   #10
Allspice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
almost forgotten: also do the same principle for time stretch! so that we can drag and drop stretched files to samplers directly
EDIT: I think I misunderstood your point here. Are you saying the tempo matching function should carry when drag and dropping audio out of the Media Explorer?

Also noticed that 5.70 on Windows 10 seems to carry the pitch setting from the Media Explorer, just not the volume. So carrying the volume would be in keeping with items inheriting their pitch from the Explorer

Last edited by Allspice; 01-02-2018 at 11:40 PM. Reason: misunderstood previous point
Old 01-03-2018, 06:00 AM   #11
deeb

i mean: just like OP asking when previewing an audio file in media explorer to set the volume of this piece to the same level when inserted into the project, i am asking to when previewing a time stretched audio we could drag directly to samplers with time stretched already applied.

As it is now we must drag audio to project in order to time stretched be applied and then drag from there to sampler. I think it would make sense if this step wasn't needed.

Last edited by deeb; 01-03-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
crackinkid

+1 This would be really useful for tracks and items!
crackinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:05 PM   #13
Allspice

Just got another sample pack where all the drum transients are up around -1 dbFS. I forgot to adjust one of the samples item volume before playing it and I was promptly reminded of how nice this feature would be
Old 02-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #14
musicbynumbers

self bumping based on the good points made above!

I'm sure loads of people would find this super useful!
Old 02-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #15
Allspice

Not to muddy up a great feature request, but do you mean the "item volume" should be adjusted when you drag and dropped from the Media Explorer? Your original post/title mentioned "track volume."

I personally feel like "item volume" is more useful to my workflow, because I may be dropping samples of varying loudness onto the same track.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:55 AM   #16
musicbynumbers

Indeed. Item volume was what I meant. I'll change it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allspice View Post
Not to muddy up a great feature request, but do you mean the "item volume" should be adjusted when you drag and dropped from the Media Explorer? Your original post/title mentioned "track volume."

I personally feel like "item volume" is more useful to my workflow, because I may be dropping samples of varying loudness onto the same track.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #17
deeb

so +1 for item volume and for timestretch (so that we can drag loops into samplers with the right bpm applied). Please : )
Old 04-30-2018, 04:24 AM   #18
crackinkid

I'm just gonna bump this one again (maybe it ends up in reaper 6), I work with a lot of samples and this would be super useful for everybody.
crackinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #19
Travesty

Good idea
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:49 AM   #20
Eliseat

If there is no possibility to set the default item volume at say - 15 db this would be pretty handy as a work around. Its one of Reapers most annoying behavior when being forced to adjust every media item like an idiot. Practically every sample or loop hits the 0db and needs to be set about -15db by hand. I don't like it. So it would fit into my work flow if Cockos adds the pre gain staging at least the way described here.

So my voting is pro preset gain staging thru media explorer. Many thanks
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote