Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
jlorda
Human being with feelings

Default Routing Individual Tracks to Individual outputs

Hey all! First post here and there is some strange reasons for how I finally ended up taking on routing so here is the short.

I use Reaper as my DAW.
I have a Babyface pro as my interface.

I use both in very very crude terms BUT I recently acquired a Tascam Portastudio 424 MK1 (4 track) that I plan to use live. What I want to do is use audio I have recorded in Reaper and take those loops or samples and record them into individual tracks on the Tascam.

There are two loops in reaper that are synched and what I want to do is send that audio OUT to my Tascam.

Desired Routing to Record:
Reaper Track/Loop 1 - > RME Main Out 1 - > Track 1 Tascam
Reaper Track/Loop 2 - > RME Main Out 2 - > Track 2 Tascam

That way I can simply record into the Tascam with both tracks synched at the same time. Does that make sense to anyone here? If not I am a newbie in need of guru guidance.

Thanks again,
James
jlorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
hopi

it is not so much routing in reaper as it is wires from the babyface outs to the tascam
Old 01-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
jlorda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
it is not so much routing in reaper as it is wires from the babyface outs to the tascam
Well the issue I have is I dont know how to assign the output of one track in Reaper to one output of my RME interface and route the other track in Reaper to the other output of my RME interface.

you know how to do that? (I got the cables necessary to hook up to tascam
Old 01-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
domzy

you can assign a hardware out to a track by clicking on the io box and selecting the appropriate output.
Or, if you are using main 1 & 2 as your main outs on the master bus you can just pan the two loops hard left and right.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
jlorda

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
you can assign a hardware out to a track by clicking on the io box and selecting the appropriate output.
Or, if you are using main 1 & 2 as your main outs on the master bus you can just pan the two loops hard left and right.
Hey Domzy I am a novice to routing in reaper so I am not sure what the i/o box is but yes that sounds like the approach I was describing in my initial post. I have 2 loops that need to sync. I have 2 main outs on my RME babyface I just dont know how to isolate a single track in Reaper to a single output on my RME Babyface.

Are there any videos that explain this?
Old 01-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #6
emarsk

You should check the User Guide at section 2.6 "Track controls", page 35, and section 2.25 "REAPER Routing Essentials, page 48 (the page numbers are for version 570d).

Basically, right click on the fader, or click on the "ROUTING" box, to open the routing dialog. Untick "Master/parent send". Click "Add new hardware output" and select a single output channel.

Or just don't bother and pan them hard left and right as domzy said.
emarsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #7
domzy

On each track there is a little box marked "IO" - if you click this it gives you some options for routing. You can select a hardware output from a dropdown list.

In your case, if you already have your two loops playing through the master bus, you may as well pan one loop all the way to the left - this should then come out of output 1 - and pan the other one hard to the right - this will then come from output 2.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
jlorda

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
On each track there is a little box marked "IO" - if you click this it gives you some options for routing. You can select a hardware output from a dropdown list.

In your case, if you already have your two loops playing through the master bus, you may as well pan one loop all the way to the left - this should then come out of output 1 - and pan the other one hard to the right - this will then come from output 2.
Ok I did get this to work buy just panning left and right. BUT for future routing I am going to try the route of bypassing the master buss and assign individual outputs. I ended up downloading Reaper but there were references in previous posts about looking up reference points in book. Where do I get this book?
Old 01-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
slipstick

Look at the top of the page then click on DOWNLOAD USER GUIDE. That's the book.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote