Old 06-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
triunion_station
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer X-Touch Mini

Hey all,

I can't get my X-Touch Mini to function in Reaper like it should. I mainly got it to automate single track envelopes one at a time, so if I can get that cooking I'll be happy.

The X-Touch drivers installed instantly. I installed the latest Klinke extensions into my Reaper plugins folder. Then I selected the "Mackie Control (Klinke)" option from the Preferences > Control Surfaces menu. Then I imported Klinke's keymap.

But still only a few actions work. I can only get the hardware fader to control the master buss. Transport controls work, and in MC mode I can get pans to work on channels 1-8.

Does anyone have experience with this controller? How can I make the fader control the track I have selected?

Thanks for your help. I'm brand new to controllers, so this is probably user error.
triunion_station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
triunion_station

Default Bump

James from Behringer says the X-Touch Mini is supposed to work with Reaper in Mackie mode.

Can anyone point me to a "controllers for dummies" guide, or help me route envelope automation to the hardware fader?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
SoulOne82

SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
triunion_station

Thanks for the help, Soul. I read the manual, and I understand how the controls are laid out. I just can't seem to make it do what I want. I want the fader to control the track I have selected. Not just the master buss.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
SoulOne82

With the MC mode, this is not possible unfortunately.

You´ll have to start the X-Touch Mini in normal mode to be able to assign the fader freely within REAPER.

Beforehand, you may have to set the controller up using its software editor, though.
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
airon

Works very well in Reaper so far.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:06 AM   #7
triunion_station

Thanks again, Soul.

Airon, I'm a total newb with controllers. Could you walk me through how you set it up?
Old 08-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
koroviev

How are people using this device with reaper?

Just picked one up and was hoping to use the pots to control track level, with the LEDS showing current level.

In MCU mode (with Klinke plugin) they control pan and I don't see anyway to change that?

In normal mode I get no response at all from the device. Is it necessary to set up a custom profile using Actions? Does that mean it can only be used for a selected track, when the X Touch Mini is selected as input?

So many questions! The extremely brief manual has not shed much light on things. I am continuing to experiment, but would leave to hear feedback from users who have it working with Reaper.

Thanks!
koroviev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:36 AM   #9
Klinke

I have no hand on experience with the device, but from what I see in the MIDI MAP a possible solution would be to use my extension and flip volume and pan. The original Mackie Control has a FLIP-button, but this button is not mapped in the X-Touch MCU mode. But for all buttons exist also a Reaper action. So you can open the Reaper actions, search for flip and run the "(key)" version (or assign the action to a key, so that you can flip also easily afterwards between volume and send).
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:38 AM   #10
roaka1

Default help

Requesting a newbi guide too.
roaka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:41 AM   #11
airon

Download and install the Klinke MCU control surface plugin. A google search will take care of that hopefully.

Look at the manual of X-Touch Mini on how to switch that in to its Mackie mode.

Follow the standard guides for setup of a Mackie Control Universal.

Now find the action to FLIP the controls in Reaper action list. Remember that this action will not show up without the Klinke MCU control surface plugin being installed.

Sidenote. I only use the X-Touch Mini in midi mode. I control plugin parameters with it.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #12
esosotericmetal

I had trouble getting the mini in MC mode to work properly with Reaper on my mac. Some of the functions worked as they should but others didn't, or were controlling illogical things. Similar problem with Ableton Live. I ended up writing a Max patch that communicates with reaper via OSC.
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #13
Voodoo Chile

Finally got the x-touch mini working as a midi device in REAPER. Took me forever to figure out what EXACTLY enabled/engaged the mini to send midi data to REAPER. For me it didn't work right out of the box and only worked sporadically. Not sure if I have a unique setup or not but for me the act of simply ARMING A TRACK TO RECORD was what it took to get the mini working when I wanted it to work. Even if a track is already armed to record when opening REAPER for the first time, I have to unarm and rearm to get the mini working seamlessly for the current session.

Cheers!

Last edited by Voodoo Chile; 10-21-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Voodoo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #14
HIO

There has been a lack of communication in more ways than one with control surfaces and the developers of DAWs and the developers of hardware to control them. So there becomes this communication break down and I have dealt with this issue ad nauseum.

Eucon, HUI, MCU, and even Thunderbolt and all of this proprietary junk. Yuck!

Don't you just love USB-C though? I do. You do know what C stands for?

Future fast *C*ommunication with all devices. ;-)

I pick my hardware and software very carefully now.

In my small little world full surface control is a no-brainer for me and a DAW, and to say otherwise is your right and privilege but maybe you just don't know better.

Behringer X line of digital mixers are getting really close to Reaper. In fact one just might bite Reaper on the arse sooner than later. Their X32 is getting darn close for smoking a real Cuban cigar with them.

Massaging the tracks with real faders is how tracks come to life folks. As much as I love Reaper there has not been a care in the world regarding this control surface integration issue and mostly out of rebellion or something that only hypnosis and psychoanalysis might discover.

Hey, this is the Devs right and I am sure there are many issues that I am not seeing from their end I am sure. I just don't have an earthly clue and the small pittance of dinero that I have put out over the last decade doesn't qualify me to empty their trash. That just reminds me to pony up on their last major software upgrade; justin (sic) haven't used Reaper in a while.

Why does Logic work almost perfectly with Behringers new control surfaces now?

Because there has to be some really smart protocols and standards to follow if we all want to move forward, communicate and make real music again. I guess we just need an interpreter or speak the same language in this area. I guess this post could be considered contradictory. Okay, so I am back to square one. Which language?
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:55 AM   #15
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
There has been a lack of communication in more ways than one with control surfaces and the developers of DAWs and the developers of hardware to control them. So there becomes this communication break down and I have dealt with this issue ad nauseum.

Eucon, HUI, MCU, and even Thunderbolt and all of this proprietary junk. Yuck!

Don't you just love USB-C though? I do. You do know what C stands for?

Future fast *C*ommunication with all devices. ;-)

I pick my hardware and software very carefully now.

In my small little world full surface control is a no-brainer for me and a DAW, and to say otherwise is your right and privilege but maybe you just don't know better.

Behringer X line of digital mixers are getting really close to Reaper. In fact one just might bite Reaper on the arse sooner than later. Their X32 is getting darn close for smoking a real Cuban cigar with them.

Massaging the tracks with real faders is how tracks come to life folks. As much as I love Reaper there has not been a care in the world regarding this control surface integration issue and mostly out of rebellion or something that only hypnosis and psychoanalysis might discover.

Hey, this is the Devs right and I am sure there are many issues that I am not seeing from their end I am sure. I just don't have an earthly clue and the small pittance of dinero that I have put out over the last decade doesn't qualify me to empty their trash. That just reminds me to pony up on their last major software upgrade; justin (sic) haven't used Reaper in a while.

Why does Logic work almost perfectly with Behringers new control surfaces now?

Because there has to be some really smart protocols and standards to follow if we all want to move forward, communicate and make real music again. I guess we just need an interpreter or speak the same language in this area. I guess this post could be considered contradictory. Okay, so I am back to square one. Which language?
Well..... here's you chance, please join this discussion: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote