Old 07-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
Dan-Jay
Human being with feelings

Default themes for people who are colour blind

Such thing?

Struggle to tell the difference between colours. If any colours are similar, they look exactly the same colour to me.

EVERY program should have a colour blind option, don't you think... guys? I know a lot of games have those options now, which really helps.
Dan-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
hopi

curious idea, but aren't there several kinds of color blindness?

so perhaps you might suggest how such a theme should be?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
xpander

As a matter of fact, when creating the V4 default theme, Mr White Tie even specifically called upon people having color blindness of some kind to take part testing. Imho, good designers targeting the biggest possible common user base (as default is) will take this physical limitation into consideration wherever they can and will see fit.

It will not solve every color issue some of us have. There are many different kinds of color deficiencies like hopi said, targeting them all might mean black and white only, not good. Also, it just makes sense to make it first and foremost appealing to people with normal vision, and people with deficiencies will have to adjust as they will in everyday life too.

But yes, every program which tries to appeal to the biggest possible audience, could well have this taken into consideration too. And certainly not show important decisions just as color differences, if at all possible. If almost 10% of population has color blindness (95% of them the red-green), the number is pretty big.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Andy Hamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Jay View Post
... EVERY program should have a colour blind option, don't you think... guys? I know a lot of games have those options now, which really helps.
yes and there should be a version of Reaper for def people too
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
xpander

I agree, real scoring has been asked for a long time now. But that is not coming too soon I guess. More on the subject, you do know that there are some blind users of Reaper too? Obviously the theme colors will mean nothing for those people. But at the same time, might make you think what really is crucial, what is helpful aid and what is more of a luxury taken for granted.

Last edited by xpander; 07-03-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: lighten up
Old 07-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Dan-Jay

Yeah... never mind.

If blind people are using this program then why would I suggest this. I mean, being colour blind is not nearly as bad as being blind. I may as well not wear clothes, or complain about sitting on a wet surface, considering there are many people out there who have no clothes and have no choice but to sit and live in bad conditions.......
Dan-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
EpicSounds

I don't know if any were specifically designed with color blind accessibility in mind but you should have a look through the stash and see if you can find one that works better for you.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Jay View Post
Yeah... never mind.
Yep, some days it sure feels like nothing you said was understood or taken the right way. Dan Jay, I'm color blind myself. Back then I was happy to hear that the theme team had considered us too. My ponderings about deficiencies were for Andy who, I wish at least, was just making a joke. Things to remember anyways, but shouldn't keep anyone from striving for better in areas they can. And on this specific matter I agree with EpicSounds.