Old 10-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
pitol678
Human being with feelings

Default Lost Files

I did a demo session and recorded multiple songs in one file/session. Today I wanted to separate them into their own folders so I selected three tracks, copied, then selected “new project” from the drop down menu. I pasted the tracks and it worked just like I had intended. HOWEVER, when I went back to the original project all of the tracks were “offline”. Any suggestions of how to retrieve them? Any help would be very much appreciated!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5062.jpg (45.0 KB, 149 views)
pitol678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
serr

If you recorded multiple songs in a single pass, the audio file set would be one long file for every track. Sounds like you used the 'move files to current directory' feature when you created a new project and pasted a song into it. (And because they were moved to a different folder, now the old project can't find where you put them.)

Because the source audio file contains all the songs...
If you want to split the project up into a folder for each song you would have to make new copies of each song section (eg using glue command).

You might want to just keep the project together and just save different Reaper project .rpp files for each song. Keep the multiple .rpp files in the same project folder. No reason to move the mountain and split up the source files just to see them in separate folders.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
pitol678

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
If you recorded multiple songs in a single pass, the audio file set would be one long file for every track. Sounds like you used the 'move files to current directory' feature when you created a new project and pasted a song into it. (And because they were moved to a different folder, now the old project can't find where you put them.)

Because the source audio file contains all the songs...
If you want to split the project up into a folder for each song you would have to make new copies of each song section (eg using glue command).

You might want to just keep the project together and just save different Reaper project .rpp files for each song. Keep the multiple .rpp files in the same project folder. No reason to move the mountain and split up the source files just to see them in separate folders.
In the original project, which was luckily just a guitar and vocal, each take was separated. Meaning that it wasnt all one long track of different songs because I stopped recording after each take. Is there a suggested way for me to associate the tracks back with the original project? Thanks!
Old 10-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
pitol678

As I try and pull up the project, Im clicking "Browse for files" and the files come up. But for some reason I cant select ALL of them, but rather just one at a time. Is there a way around this? Thanks
Old 10-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitol678 View Post
As I try and pull up the project, Im clicking "Browse for files" and the files come up. But for some reason I cant select ALL of them, but rather just one at a time. Is there a way around this? Thanks
When it knows about the the first one, it should then find the rest of them after clicking Open.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
serr

Understand the difference between "browse" and "search" in that window.
You "search" for an old file that was moved.
You "browse" for a new file to replace the old one with.

If you select the same old file when you "browse", you accomplish the same thing. It probably would go one at a time though. And this would let you accidentally select the wrong file and replace the audio with it which you don't want.

If you "search" and point it to the folder with your old audio, it will find the rest of the files in there by itself.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
karbomusic

^^^ Browse found all after choosing the first one when I tested before posting. And again, just now when I tested again (so long as they are in the same path which the OPs description seems to imply).
Old 10-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #8
pitol678

Thank you so much for your help!!!! I have it pulled up with the files in place which is such a relief. But I had it pulled up once before and it dint save properly and I had to find the right file again. So before I close it out how can I save it so it will come up normally? Thanks again
Old 10-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #9
serr

You can save multiple .rpp files as you go. Song_m1.rpp, Song_m2.rpp ...
Leaves you a trail of bread crumbs to go back to if something comes up.

If you put the source audio files in the same folder as the project file, Reaper will look for the audio files in that folder by default. Even if the project wasn't last saved with the files in that folder. Of course, Reaper will remember the last place it saw the source files if you don't move them. If you move them and not into the same folder as the project files, it has to ask you where you put them on next launch.