Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #121
Remixer
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennisixx View Post
..then you start the ffado mixer it finds your fw card and then you restart.
but then I have to reconfigure everything....any ideas?
There is a Remastersys software included. Just install everything you want, run Remastersys and make your own iso.

I didn't unclude nouveau, cause it heats video chip too much. It's ok for a desktop, but not for laptops.
Remixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #122
bennisixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remixer View Post
There is a Remastersys software included. Just install everything you want, run Remastersys and make your own iso.

I didn't unclude nouveau, cause it heats video chip too much. It's ok for a desktop, but not for laptops.
thanks remixer, but I already knew that.
I am talking about a session to session basis and it happens in reaper too. I'll work on it a bit.
but what I am saying is there is a bug that the beta did not have

Last edited by bennisixx; 05-22-2011 at 12:11 PM.
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #123
Remixer

Quote:
thanks remixer, but I already knew that.
I am talking about a session to session basis and it happens in reaper too. I'll work on it a bit.
but what I am saying is there is a bug that the beta did not have
I think I don't understand exactly. Sorry, english is not my native. Could you explain in details what goes wrong?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #124
bennisixx

Quote:
I think I don't understand exactly. Sorry, english is not my native. Could you explain in details what goes wrong?
yes- and just know, everything I am having problems with worked in the beta.

1- I have my vsts in a separate partition- so I created a link to the vst folder and put it in my home folder. Scanned home folder from reaper. All plugins work.
play with reaper then turn off pc for the night. Next day the limks are dead, and reaper cant find any vsts. I go to my home folder and the links have a little x on them. so I delete that link and make another. you can see how this is a pain.

2. I configure my display settings, They work. but just like reaper if I reboot, it is all back to default.

I am sure there is probably other things that dont get saved.

Let me say this though. I really appreciate your amazing work here. And the fact that you are providing support here. Thank you.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #125
Remixer

Quote:
1- I have my vsts in a separate partition- so I created a link to the vst folder and put it in my home folder. Scanned home folder from reaper. All plugins work.
play with reaper then turn off pc for the night. Next day the limks are dead, and reaper cant find any vsts. I go to my home folder and the links have a little x on them. so I delete that link and make another. you can see how this is a pain.
Every boot the OS mounts all drives and it can mount them to different mountpoints. You can do the following.
Unmount the partition, then open "Storage Device Manager". mount it and configure automounting and permissions with "Assistant". Then make a link.

Quote:
2. I configure my display settings, They work. but just like reaper if I reboot, it is all back to default.
At first, try to check "Save session" box before rebooting (and make sure you have no running programs and turn off conky). Don't forget to uncheck the box later.

Quote:
I am sure there is probably other things that dont get saved.
It could be. Let me know if you find one more. I think there's a bug in the XFCE 4.8. I got the same with the language selector plugin. I removed and added it back 5 or 6 times, before it starts work properly.

Quote:
Let me say this though. I really appreciate your amazing work here. And the fact that you are providing support here. Thank you.
You're welcomed. All tings are important for me. If its a bug - I should fix it. If its a missunderstanding - I should add more info to the manual.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #126
bennisixx

Quote:
Every boot the OS mounts all drives and it can mount them to different mountpoints. You can do the following.
Unmount the partition, then open "Storage Device Manager". mount it and configure automounting and permissions with "Assistant". Then make a link.

At first, try to check "Save session" box before rebooting (and make sure you have no running programs and turn off conky). Don't forget to uncheck the box later.

It could be. Let me know if you find one more. I think there's a bug in the XFCE 4.8. I got the same with the language selector plugin. I removed and added it back 5 or 6 times, before it starts work properly.

You're welcomed. All tings are important for me. If its a bug - I should fix it. If its a missunderstanding - I should add more info to the manual.
thank you sir I am trying this with a "remix_os mint version" that I have butchered up to check.
as far as the vst folder thing
links to folders on other partitions only work if the partition is mounted.

solved that.

now more exploring.......
Old 05-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #127
Remixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schprocket View Post
Are there any plans to add an English language section to the Remixer forum?
I tried to read a page using Google Translate but the literal translations were a little difficult to follow because the syntax is kind of messed up and when people speak 'everyday' language, it's even more messed up.
Mind you, some of the translations Google made were unintentionally quite funny in English...
I am going to add an English forum later. In Russian thread there's no anything helpfull yet.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:02 AM   #128
Schprocket

Quote:
I am going to add an English forum later. In Russian thread there's no anything helpfull yet.
Much appreciated, Remixer - "If you build it, they will come" - I'd say you'd have at least three English language dudes from this forum hanging out in it occasionally

I don't really want to ask linux-newb and hardware-related questions in here.

I think this thread should be purely for the trinity? triad? of software - RemixOS + Reaper + plug-ins.

Too many h/ware questions ...from me... might make the thread a nightmare to follow

P.S.
One bit of h/ware trivia
I've been getting this annoying "mouse cursor jumps to top left of screen".
I thought it was my BT mouse playing up but it was happening with the regular USB mouse as well.
It turns out it's an X-server issue - the Kore Controller is being assigned as a pointing device and ocassionally they are being scanned and (up)setting the cursor position.
There's a little script hacking that has to be done to stop it... mañana, mañana...

Last edited by Schprocket; 05-23-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Schprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #129
Remixer

Thanks for the info. It can help other users of Kore.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #130
bennisixx

i just re installed the beta(works better for me)
I noticed there are many more repos added to the beta than the final.
This came to be a problem in the final when I couldn't get the dependencies for qtffado-mixer

btw remixer you should throw a beta version into your building. It does not preform as well on remix os on my system...major lags.
Winxp just fine.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #131
Remixer

Quote:
i just re installed the beta(works better for me)
Could you explain what's better in the beta?

Quote:
I noticed there are many more repos added to the beta than the final.
I the beta I just forgot to remove incompatible PPA's. That's why you broke the system, installing video drivers - I suppose that you just updated something from a wrong repo.

Quote:
This came to be a problem in the final when I couldn't get the dependencies for qtffado-mixer
It could be a server problem. Try another one in the Synaptic.

Quote:
btw remixer you should throw a beta version into your building. It does not preform as well on remix os on my system...major lags.
Winxp just fine.
Sorry, I don't understand, what do you mean.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #132
bennisixx

Quote:

Sorry, I don't understand, what do you mean.
reaper 4 beta.... shhh I'm not supposed to talk about it.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #133
GordonS

Default Latency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boray View Post
Will you get a lower or higher latency compared to Windows?
This is a bit off-topic, but may be interesting.

I recently bought Pianoteq that I installed on an old (2005) AMD Turion-based laptop running Ububtu-Studio 64. Performance is pretty reasonable, only showing problems if I run the mouse along the virtual keyboard, when the sound sometimes breaks up. Playing normally with a MIDI keyboard, there's some latency, but not enough that I find it a nuisance. I've not tried to measure it.

Having looked a Reaper and decided that it seems a good tool, and clearly popular, I installed the trial version on my newer laptop (Pentium dual core T4200, 2GHz) on Windows 7 x64. I then installed some VSTs to try, including Pianoteq.

The latency running Pianoteq in Reaper was really quite bad .. I guess 100ms or more. Quite unresponsive. I shut down Reaper and ran Pianoteq on it's own, wondering if this was a Reaper problem.

Pianoteq was a little quicker, but still far too slow for comfort.

So my newer dual-core on Win-7x64 is responding perhaps 5-times slower than my six-year-old (1GHz?) machine running Linux.

Not exactly an exhaustive study, but quite illuminating, I thought.

G.
GordonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #134
muncheeez

Default 64 bit?

Hi guys!

New member to the forum here (though not too new to some reading on here).

I've dabbed a little with the trial of reaper and liked what I've seen. My band is about ready to do some home recording to the best of our "home" ability (half decent sound-proofed room + not so bad equipment). I'm planning on using reaper for this, and next week I will be building a box dedicated to reaper. I dont pirate software and refuse to pay rediculous price for windows and not even get access to source... pffft., hence I've been using linux now for the last few years. Ideally I'd like to use linux + reaper and thanks in no small way to remixer and everyone else who has made this possible ie the developers of:
- jack
- linreaper
- wineasio
- wine
- etc, etc, etc...

The box I'm building will probably be a phenom II x6 based machine. Now I realise that most vst's are 32bit and I think wine only supports 32bit (win64 experimental support?), however my question is this:

Once I build machine + install remix-os, if I install the amd_64 debs at http://liquorix.net/debian/pool/main...-liquorix-2.6/ and boot from that kernel, will it just go "cha-ching" instant change to 64bit?? -- I know this sounds kinda dumb as all the bins will still be 32 bit, but don't amd processors run 32 bit processes alongside 64 bit processes? In which case wine would be run as a 32bit process and everything works fine?? (and if all that works then can't I just replace some debs for jack / ffado etc for 64bit ones and get a bit better performance out of that bit?)

I figure it can't be that easy and I'm probably missing something simple and fundamental here... maybe sbin's have to be 64 etc? I'm not sure, any chance some hardcore (or even softcore) linux geek could enlighten this linux geek wannabe??

cheers... (oh and sorry for waffling on a bit... I tend to like the sound of my own voice.... eh... typing )
muncheeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #135
Remixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muncheeez View Post
...if I install the amd_64 debs at http://liquorix.net/debian/pool/main...-liquorix-2.6/ and boot from that kernel..
It won't work.

Could you explain why do you want 64-bit linux for using Reaper in wine?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #136
Remixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonS View Post
The latency running Pianoteq in Reaper was really quite bad .. I guess 100ms or more. Quite unresponsive. I shut down Reaper and ran Pianoteq on it's own, wondering if this was a Reaper problem.
You didn't mention the audio card and driver you used - the latency depends on it.

And my 2 cents about piano. I don't think the Pianoteq is a good choice. For me the best is Pianissimo. You can listen an example I've recorded with it: http://prostopleer.com/tracks/4536601VJWR
Old 05-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #137
Remixer

Remix_OS Forum is launched: http://remix-os.forums.gs/
Old 05-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #138
muncheeez

Default 64bit

Fair enough... ...excuse my ignorance in these things... (about 64bit kernel not working in a 32bit os build) lol

first off, whether or not I can run the os in 64bit mode or not will not make a world of difference for me in this case, it's just that I've used 64bit linux's for a couple of years under the proviso of "using the abilities of my processor".

I was under the impression that the same system exactly which is 64bit capable will run faster in 64 mode then it would in 32??

Figured if the kernel + jack + ffado + any other drivers etc were running in 64, and wine + reaper were running in 32, that there might be that little bit of extra juice being pumped out of the system. -- though not a biggie if it's something that's technically difficult to acheive.

The capture and post-processing applications this makes no difference imo, however if at some stage in the future I was hoping to use some vst's and monitor the signal in super-mega-hyper-low-latency.... then I'd be able to achieve a sound very similar to the album while playing live. sorta the 'avid venue' type mentality of those live sound engineers that load up settings used to mix an album and start there for a live performance. I cannot afford to dish out well over $10k (more like $40k I think) for a live digital mixer which could achieve this well, and although I'm happy with our analogue setup at the moment for live performance, it would be nice to add a couple of vst's here and there instead of accumulating a huge amount of out-board processors... a high-end amd diy pc might cost about $800. So price here is also a factor...

somehow I thought that running in 64 would allow the system to update audio buffers faster, with less instructions per update etc... not sure if this is correct...

Again you'll have to excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong about all above... oh and I'm willing to donate some time working towards if there's something I can do to help it... mind you I'm no l33t hax0r
muncheeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #139
Remixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muncheeez View Post
somehow I thought that running in 64 would allow the system to update audio buffers faster, with less instructions per update etc... not sure if this is correct...
You're right. But it will give very little improvement.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #140
GordonS

Quote:
You didn't mention the audio card and driver you used - the latency depends on it.

And my 2 cents about piano. I don't think the Pianoteq is a good choice. For me the best is Pianissimo. You can listen an example I've recorded with it: http://prostopleer.com/tracks/4536601VJWR

AS these are both laptops, the sound is whatever is built-in. In the case of the machine with Win7, that's "Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller"

The older machine doesn't seem to want to tell me much. It's a Via chipset; SiS and AC'97 are mentioned by both Windows and Linux. Beyond that I don't know. I guess the BIOS might tell me more.

I'd never heard of Pianissimo, so I may well download the demo and give it a try. An attraction with Pianoteq was that they have the Linux version and as I mostly use Linux, only switching to Windows when I have to, that was for me a very interesting plus.

The background to my trying Reaper+Pianoteq+some_VSTs on the Win7 machine was that I thought I might have to use Windows to run some of the samples I wanted, so I'd better get try some setups. I was just somewhat shocked to find a relatively new, if modest machine, was _so_ slow in comparison with the old one.

I guess a more meaningful test would be to run Remix_OS and compare it to Win7, but the laptop is my main workstation and both the existing Linux install and the Win7 install are sacrosanct.

I see little point in doing in on the old laptop, which whilst it has a modern 64-bit Linux, has a now very old and rather full Win2k as it's Windows partition (I could bear neither WinXP or Vista .. Win7 seems not so bad once all the stupid slow-down effects like fades and aero are disabled).

Gordon.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #141
Remixer

Quote:
AS these are both laptops, the sound is whatever is built-in. In the case of the machine with Win7, that's "Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller"

The older machine doesn't seem to want to tell me much. It's a Via chipset; SiS and AC'97 are mentioned by both Windows and Linux. Beyond that I don't know. I guess the BIOS might tell me more.
In Windows you need a sound card with ASIO drivers to get small latencies. Build-in ones doesn.t work with asio. You also can try Asio4All driver, but there's no garantee it will work.

In Linux with wineasio you can get small latencies on any card, but, anyway, cheap cards wont work good with many tracks and heavy plugins.

Quote:
I'd never heard of Pianissimo, so I may well download the demo and give it a try. An attraction with Pianoteq was that they have the Linux version and as I mostly use Linux, only switching to Windows when I have to, that was for me a very interesting plus.
Pianissimo works fine in wine.

Quote:
I guess a more meaningful test would be to run Remix_OS and compare it to Win7, but the laptop is my main workstation and both the existing Linux install and the Win7 install are sacrosanct.
You can install Remix_OS on a usb stick or on external hard drive.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:39 AM   #142
GordonS

Well that certainly gives a few options to try and also some encouragement.

Asio drivers may make Win7 work at a sensible speed.

Wine, which I've usually ignored in the past, seems these days to run quite a lot. More on this.

Remix_OS I was already planning to try, but not on the newer laptop, however I'm encouraged to try via an external drive. But .. it's _possible_ I have a spare partition or can add one as the disc is far from full.

FWIW, none of my present PCs was never a serious candidate for a music workstation, though using the old laptop for music whilst travelling _is_ (I've already been doing that, in a sailboat that's too small for 88 keys, never mind a grand piano! :-D ). If I set up a proper workstation, I'll have a dedicated fast machine and it will have proper soundcard(s) for the job.

---

Regarding Wine, as there is now a lot that appears work well, I think I'll likely be trying it with some of the tools I thought would force me to Windows. That said, most of that is VSTs and it sounds like I may be able to run them from existing VST players, anyway (Garritan, Bolder, NI-Kontakt).
Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #143
Schprocket

@Gordon

I ran out of drives and installed RemixOS onto a 60Gb 2.5" SATA drive that I pulled out of my PS3 a few years back.

Initially sitting in the eSATA drive dock, I transferred it to an external drive case which has an eSATA i/face - eSATA much better for running OSs and general audio work than USB 2.0
(This also means I can put my 'common' data drive back in the dock so Remix may also access it - I have loops and other audio projects on it)

I can interrupt start-up with F12 to select the boot device and can select from either of the three internal or two external SATA drives to boot from.

Suggest if you have a card-express slot in your newer laptop and can set BIOS to boot from same, that you consider running the OS this way - just make sure that GRUB doesn't write to the boot sector of your internal disk and writes to the external drive instead... in theory it should work just like the live DVD, so you could hook it up to a different box if you wanted to - the difference is that you can write to this "live DVD"
Schprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #144
EvilDragon

Quote:
Now it has a PAE kernel, so all your RAM will be at work.
So even if I have, say, 12 GB of RAM; Remix OS will recognize and use all of it? But, still being 32-bit based, each application won't be able to use more than what, 3 GB of RAM, individually?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #145
Remixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
So even if I have, say, 12 GB of RAM; Remix OS will recognize and use all of it? But, still being 32-bit based, each application won't be able to use more than what, 3 GB of RAM, individually?
I think, not more than 4 Gb. But wait for a few days - 64-bit Remix_OS is coming )
Old 06-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #146
EvilDragon

That's great news!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #147
nicvic

Default Working well

Just to say the "live" version ran perfectly for me with a Delta 1010 soundcard and the Envy 24 mixer (if you get no sound try toggling the mute buttons in the Envy mixer as its not obvious which state they are in).
My usb keyboard was found and played ReaSynth with low latency.

Thanks for this Distro I've played with linux before but there were always things I couldn't get working but this sorts them all out for me.

Are Asio buffer settings adjusted in Jack control in the Frames/Period box ?

Nick
nicvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #148
Remixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicvic View Post
Just to say the "live" version ran perfectly for me with a Delta 1010 soundcard and the Envy 24 mixer (if you get no sound try toggling the mute buttons in the Envy mixer as its not obvious which state they are in).
My usb keyboard was found and played ReaSynth with low latency.

Thanks for this Distro I've played with linux before but there were always things I couldn't get working but this sorts them all out for me.
Thank you, Nick! I'm happy that you like Remix_OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicvic View Post
Are Asio buffer settings adjusted in Jack control in the Frames/Period box ?
For Reaper it's in Multimedia -> Root JACK Ctl
Old 06-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #149
skipkent

This is great, Remixer. Thanks for all your generous efforts!
skipkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:24 AM   #150
Remixer

Default Remix_OS 64-bit version is released.

Remix_OS 64-bit version is released and available for downloading.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #151
bennisixx

Just curious, what is the benefit of running Jack as root?
Is it just a permissions thing?
I just got my jack synced with pulse-audio so I can use my fa-66 on everything but didn't do it in root jack.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #152
Remixer

Quote:
Just curious, what is the benefit of running Jack as root?
There is no correct way to install a wine program for a user before that user is created. You can't install Reaper as a user before you install Linux and create a user. So if you want to have Reaper on a liveCD it should be installed from root.
There is one more benefit: it's easy to backup the system and make your own distro with Reamstersys. Install software you need, remove all you don't need, install VST's, configure Reaper as you want and make a new Live DVD.

Last edited by Remixer; 06-12-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #153
metal_priest

i don't want to open another topic, so i'll ask my question here.

How can i see videos with reaper on wine?

In Windows I've downloaded the codecs, following "reaperwiki", and i can see videos.
I've done the same with ubuntu, i've put the 4 files in reaper path (c:/programs/reaper) like i've done in windows, but i still see only a black window.

someone has the same problem?
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #154
Remixer

As I know video doesn't work in Reaper under wine.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #155
metal_priest

so, there's no way to see videos with reaper in ubuntu?
ok, problem solved then
thanks!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #156
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_priest View Post
so, there's no way to see videos with reaper in ubuntu?
ok, problem solved then
thanks!
I use Arch linux, but suppose this should work on any wine install: How to run Reaper in Wine on Linux - Video playback support

Enjoy
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #157
metal_priest

great! it works! thank a lot!!
Old 06-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #158
Remixer

Jack Winter,
Thanks a lot for the information.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:29 AM   #159
Remixer

Remix_OS 32-bit version without PAE kernel is available for downloading. Some codecs and dll's are included for playing video in Reaper. The older version is only recommended if you want to use more then 3 GB RAM with a 32-bit OS.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #160
bringkeys

Default Remix_OS Download Link Doesn't Work

I am interested in trying Remix_OS but the Download link does not work.

Please let me know where I can get a 32-Bit iso of the Remix_OS Linux Distro so that I may try it out.

Thank You,

bringkeys
bringkeys is offline   Reply With Quote