Old 09-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Vendetta V
Human being with feelings

Default Speaker Simulator?

Any speaker simulators you'd recommend? PS. for guitars! I'm recording straight so I need that hi end roll off!

Last edited by Vendetta V; 09-09-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Put a cabinet impulse in ReaVerb set to 100% wet
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
DeathByGuitar

Here's an easy to use cab loader with lowpass and hipass: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/nadir-by-ignite-amps

And I highly suggest these IR's from Ownhammer. It's not simulation, it's the real thing, more or less. https://www.ownhammer.com/store/inde...roducts_id=390

That's the pack I have and it's great. Haven't tried the non-Mesa ones since I only do Mesa, but Ownhammer is highly regarded.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
DVDdoug

I'm not a guitar player, but I believe an amp/cabinet simulator is more about the way it distorts when over-driven, and maybe some cabinet resonance. They usually aren't very good at high frequencies (or vary low frequencies) but the guitar doesn't have lots of high-frequency energy anyway.

Guitar amps (especially tube amps) usually soft-clip for "pleasant" sounding distortion and limiting/compression which gives you more (apparent) sustain.

Quote:
need that hi end roll off!
I assume your guitar has a tone control? And, you can use an equalizer (plug-in) to reduce the highs.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByGuitar View Post
Here's an easy to use cab loader with lowpass and hipass: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/nadir-by-ignite-amps
And while you are there, grab EVERYTHING by ignite, its all good stuff...Emmissary is ridiculously awesome
Old 09-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
wallace

+1 for the ignite stuff.
Excellent.
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
McPBrain

Agree.....Create an FX chain with one of the Ignite amps. followed by Nadir....Search for some free speaker cab impulses. Ownhammer, Red Wirez, Celestion, and some others offer a few free IRs for you to check out their wares....

This guy also has some nice impulses for free download. You have a lot of "meh" files to audition, but there are some good ones hidden in there.(Synthetic_Cabinets.zip)

https://github.com/ValdemarOrn/IRWorkshop/releases
McPBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
Pinknoise

Recabinet from Kazrog is cheap and is the best IMO. Free demo check it out.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
rickbarclay

Default AXE-FX

Or that other one--Kemper.
rickbarclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #10
RCJacH

Two-Notes Torpedo Wall of Sound
http://www.two-notes.com/en/wall-of-sound
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:46 PM   #11
zeekat

Perhaps CPU tech finally got to the stage your computer wont ignite after loading a couple of Mercuriall cab instances.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #12
Vendetta V

Thanks guys! Been using Kazrog for the last few years. I think i am looking at getting some new IRs as the kazrog one has gotten old to my ears (not that they're bad).. i'm also recording directly instead of micing up the cabinet. Basically I capture the guitar at the FX loop of the amp. So my only requirement is a good IR. I'll try to find the Celestion free ones and see what they give out
Old 09-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #13
Judders

Wait, you've got ReCabinet?

That's the best IR loader I've used. The dynamics control brings IR's alive, and you can use the inbuilt EQ to roll off high end.

Redwirez IR's are the best I've come across. They do a free Marshall pack. You get a huge variety of mic's and mic positions for your money, as well as some room mic's and stuff.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:36 AM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
I'm not a guitar player, but I believe an amp/cabinet simulator is more about the way it distorts when over-driven, and maybe some cabinet resonance.
The speaker/cab/mic/air comprise something like 90% of the difference in sound. For example, take a waveform directly from an amp, and a waveform from a pedal that approximates that amp, or a SIM minus the cab emulation. The waveforms will be near the same if not identical, UNTIL it goes through the cab. This difference exists even at low/non-distort volumes.

I only know this from doing that test, which was an eye opener, or rather ear opener.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #15
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Wait, you've got ReCabinet?

That's the best IR loader I've used. The dynamics control brings IR's alive, and you can use the inbuilt EQ to roll off high end.

Redwirez IR's are the best I've come across. They do a free Marshall pack. You get a huge variety of mic's and mic positions for your money, as well as some room mic's and stuff.
I think ReCabinet is a great VSTi. I couldn't find anything better for OSX to be honest! Just gonna try some new IRs to freshen up stuff here!
Old 09-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #16
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
I think ReCabinet is a great VSTi. I couldn't find anything better for OSX to be honest! Just gonna try some new IRs to freshen up stuff here!
People either seem to love RedWirez (you get to decide how a cab is mic'd up, raw and sculptable) and Rosen Digital (plug n' play, "mix ready").
Old 09-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
toddhisattva

Default Toff Opic Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
I'm not a guitar player, but I believe an amp/cabinet simulator is more about the way it distorts when over-driven
Those of us infected with both guitarism and digitalis use a two-step process, we emulate the distortion first and put that distorted signal through a cabinet sim. Just like the traditional analog Head->Cab setup.

The reason for doing it in two steps, besides fidelity to the analog prototype, is that the predominant cabinet simulation method is Impulse Modeling. That is, you hit something with a hammer (or shoot a starter pistol in an auditorium) and record how it sounds. You can then use that recording to impart the filtering and resonating characteristics of the thing you hit to other recordings.

The only things IR can model are Linear ("No distortion!" One sine wave in, one sine wave out; n sine waves in, n sine waves out) and Time-Invariant (something played on the downbeat sounds the same as something played two beats later except the second one is time-delayed - no two-measure flanging), or LTI Systems.

In other words, all Impulse Modeling can do is change the amplitudes of the sine wave components of the input signal, and change their place in time. But it's really, really good at modeling those things, filtering and resonating (this stems from the physics of any filter-resonator).

So we guitar victims model the transfer functions of our favorite tubes, or other implements of torture, in the "head" software, and the result goes to our favorite cab sims.

BTW, if you play keys, put a B3 sim into such a guitar stack, like grab a JS distortion and put it through ReaVerb with a cab sim, and another ReaVerb with a nice room response. Enjoy!
toddhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #18
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhisattva View Post
Those of us infected with both guitarism and digitalis use a two-step process, we emulate the distortion first and put that distorted signal through a cabinet sim. Just like the traditional analog Head->Cab setup.

The reason for doing it in two steps, besides fidelity to the analog prototype, is that the predominant cabinet simulation method is Impulse Modeling. That is, you hit something with a hammer (or shoot a starter pistol in an auditorium) and record how it sounds. You can then use that recording to impart the filtering and resonating characteristics of the thing you hit to other recordings.

The only things IR can model are Linear ("No distortion!" One sine wave in, one sine wave out; n sine waves in, n sine waves out) and Time-Invariant (something played on the downbeat sounds the same as something played two beats later except the second one is time-delayed - no two-measure flanging), or LTI Systems.

In other words, all Impulse Modeling can do is change the amplitudes of the sine wave components of the input signal, and change their place in time. But it's really, really good at modeling those things, filtering and resonating (this stems from the physics of any filter-resonator).

So we guitar victims model the transfer functions of our favorite tubes, or other implements of torture, in the "head" software, and the result goes to our favorite cab sims.

BTW, if you play keys, put a B3 sim into such a guitar stack, like grab a JS distortion and put it through ReaVerb with a cab sim, and another ReaVerb with a nice room response. Enjoy!
Kazrog ReCabinet adds dynamic speaker modelling to the IR, which is what sets it above the rest for me.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #19
pipelineaudio
Mortal

The speaker simulator in Audio Assault's Dominator and Bulldozer are pretty unreal. They'll load impulses as well, but the internal ones are doing something a bit different, not quite sure what. Revalver 4 had some interesting things the way Kazrog did too, but I find Dominator's to work the best for me
Old 09-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #20
tzzsmk

why not just get Kemper Profiler?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #21
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzzsmk View Post
Ever so slightly different price points
Old 09-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #22
Sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
Thanks guys! Been using Kazrog for the last few years. I think i am looking at getting some new IRs as the kazrog one has gotten old to my ears (not that they're bad).. i'm also recording directly instead of micing up the cabinet. Basically I capture the guitar at the FX loop of the amp. So my only requirement is a good IR. I'll try to find the Celestion free ones and see what they give out
Kazrog is the best afaik
Old 09-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #23
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Kazrog ReCabinet adds dynamic speaker modelling to the IR, which is what sets it above the rest for me.
Best I can tell, that's just adding distortion after the filter. We have plenty of ways to get that.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #24
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Best I can tell, that's just adding distortion after the filter. We have plenty of ways to get that.
I don't know what the variables are, and I don't much care.

It's all there in one box, and it's tuned to sound like a real cab. That's a winner for me
Old 09-14-2017, 03:57 AM   #25
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzzsmk View Post
I like it simple. Right now I'm using an OD in front of an Orange Micro Dark. I have a huge pedalboard though and and an FX loop unit for delays and reverbs and whatnot. After using Digital MFX for a few yaers I'm back in the whole tube (preamp) playground and to be honest, I can see how the Tubes make it a night and day difference to my playing. Tone? Not so much, but dynamics, articulation and how much 'effort' I need to put into every note have changed. I've started playing a lot of classical violin pieces on guitar (not classical guitar style though, I play exactly the violin parts/notes, not rearrangements with added voices/chords) so getting that additional dynamic and articulation freedom is a huge +1 for me.

I know Kemper will do better than most MFX really, but then again why get a Kemper if I got an amp that's already doing the job for me?

I just don't like micing up cabs (I do play thru a cab, mind you) due to volume limitations depending on the hour of the day as well as me not having too many cab choices at hands. Real FX and Preamp + Cab sim works like a charm for me!
Old 03-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #26
lecLog

Default ReCabinet 5.0

Newbe; Couldn't be sure looking at ReCabinet, that it works with REAPER, but now seems like it must as it' talked about here? Thank you. logan
lecLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:07 PM   #27
Reason

Yeah, several members have posted that they use and like it. Reaper meets the requirements listed:
http://kazrog.com/products/recabinet/

IN fact Judders mentions it in this very thread!
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote