Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 02-22-2024, 03:52 AM   #41
norbury brook
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
The existing theme assembler works perfectly in Reaper v7.

EDIT : Wait, you're this guy? https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2761135 ?

This has been here the whole time. But I didn't know if you were using this theme, and I don't want to bring it up outside the pre forum.
I"m still not sure we're talking about the same thing are we? I'm talking about the mixer channels colouring the whole way across the mixer like Studio One/Pro Tools/Cubase.

I came striaght here and installed the theme ajuster and spent half an hour going thorugh it but couldn't find the setting to do this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14un...ew?usp=sharing

Also when I opened the theme 'Assembler' it open the V6 theme as the staring point NOT the V7 so that's why I asked. Also you keep making the point these things ONLY work on V7 default hence my confusion.

M

Last edited by norbury brook; 02-22-2024 at 04:07 AM.
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:04 AM   #42
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denys View Post
1. A "Copy Debug Info" button in the "Debugging" section would be a nice addition, so that testers can easily share their config when reporting a bug.
I agree, but I believe not possible because the clipboard interaction needs SWS and this script is strictly native reascript gubbins.

Quote:
2. I think there should be a clearer indication that there is more than one FX on the track when it's the case. Being able to scroll between FX with the mouse wheel could be an option (which wouldn't be ideal, but at least functional).
My position is, and really always has been, that using theming to put inserts on the right is bad. I have implemented it as a feature request, against my better judgement, but it lacks all of the associated functionality that would make it useful and there's no way to add it with theming. But I did it, and I've put a lot oif sweat into making it as good as it can be. Sadly, that's 'not very'.

"Show me the first slot" might be all you get, and might be all you want, and if so then I agree that is the one thing it does brilliantly. But if it isn't then ...er... oh dear. Its a bit uncharitable, but I do think that some of this is that some users assume that if it looks like another DAW's functionality in a screenshot, it will have all the detailed behind-the-scenes unspoken functionality from that DAW. It doesn't, its just theming, its Reaper's extended mixer squeezed in somewhere it wasn't meant to be.

Theming can't do the myriad little things that would make this good, such as those you mention. My advice is to assign all the sections to bottom and use right clicking on the FX button, the existing and far superior functionality for serious work.

Quote:
That's a tiny detail, but would it possible to allow square edges on those FX? ... knob seems to be linked to Monitor Input icon. Is is going to be independant one day?
These would be theme mods. Once we're done here, I sure there will be mods aplenty.

Quote:
highlighting elements when hovering them with the mouse in the Theme Adjuster (and even more in the Tweak Configuration Window) would be nice. ... The selection dot is a good addition. To go further, I'd find it nice if it could take the colour of the Mode (Trim/Read/Touch/Latch). ... Wouldn't it make sense that the Tweak Configuration Window be one tab in the Theme Adjuster? ... It would nice if we could change the colume by dragging the value up and down with the mouse
These are Reaper feature requests, I'm afraid, way out of my league.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:11 AM   #43
norbury brook

@White Tie

Well I've just done as you said and spent another 20 mintures going through the the settings on the theme ajuster and I cannot find anything to colour the whole strip.

Can you specifically tell me what I need to ajust to colour the whole mixer channels ?

here's Studio One example

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-d6...ew?usp=sharing

M

Last edited by norbury brook; 02-22-2024 at 05:17 AM.
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:16 AM   #44
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
I'm talking about the mixer channels colouring the whole way across the mixer
Untick 'dark under buttons'. I acknowledge that its hard to find, this script has way too much stuff. A compelling argument for the theme having fewer preferences, I'd say. Anyway, that control does the thing that the person asked for when we were doing the theme development that is nearest to what you want. Not near enough? Well then...
Quote:
like Studio One/Pro Tools/Cubase.
...its not going to look like a different DAW. Its Reaper. But you can use themes if you want. If your contention is that the default theme should have options to make it look in any specific way just like another specific DAW, then the answer is no, we already have that, that's what themes do.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:21 AM   #45
norbury brook

Quote:
Untick 'dark under buttons'. I acknowledge that its hard to find, this script has way too much stuff. A compelling argument for the theme having fewer preferences, I'd say. Anyway, that control does the thing that the person asked for when we were doing the theme development that is nearest to what you want. Not near enough? Well then...

...its not going to look like a different DAW. Its Reaper. But you can use themes if you want. If your contention is that the default theme should have options to make it look in any specific way just like another specific DAW, then the answer is no, we already have that, that's what themes do.
that doesn't colour the whole channel strip though, which was my first and ONLY question. I don't want it to look like other DAW's I want the simple ability, LIKE in other DAW's I menation, to colour the whole channel strip from top to bottom, NOT just the bottom section which is all that seems to happen if I check that box

Did you look at my screen shots? I think it's obvious what I'm asking ? no?

M
Old 02-22-2024, 05:28 AM   #46
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
edit: Actually IIRC this was available in earlier version of Reaper hence my head scratching when I returned to the fold last year.
This is what themes do. Whatever theme you were using then, you can use now. You can have everything you want, with themes, or some of what you want, with this script.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:33 AM   #47
norbury brook

Quote:
This is what themes do. Whatever theme you were using then, you can use now. You can have everything you want, with themes, or some of what you want, with this script.
Sorry I deleted that because I'd remembered wrongly but NO this ability was in V3 default theme.

I'm still at a loss as to how to acheive what I'm asking though and don't know how to ask in a different way.

So last time.

How do I get the whole of the mixer to be coloured including the sends and inserts background , all the way from the bottom of the mixer to the top like in my screen grabs of pro tools and Studio one , with the theme ajuster in V7 default?

M
Old 02-22-2024, 05:39 AM   #48
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Use the V3 default theme. Or any of the others that do this. Perhaps a pro tools or Studio one theme. You have this specific thing that's really important to you and you alone. Only in Reaper do we get to say this : No problem, we have themes.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:01 AM   #49
norbury brook

Quote:
Use the V3 default theme. Or any of the others that do this. Perhaps a pro tools or Studio one theme. You have this specific thing that's really important to you and you alone. Only in Reaper do we get to say this : No problem, we have themes.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????

Am I being thick here?

I asked if we could colour the whole strip like in other DAWs

the answer was yes go to the secret pre release forum and use the theme ajuster.

I did this

I couldn't work out how to do it

Came here to ask for help

my question wasn't answered here either

well the answer was use the defualt V3 theme!!!

really???

How is this an answer to a simple question request?

Surely as the designer you should have said.... NO that's not possible with the default V7 theme

I'd have then gone about my business and not wasted time going backwards and forwards like an idiot looking for something you said exhisted but doesn't.

I'm really baffled by this whole exchange I really am.

Surely as a DAW designer you do actually look at other DAW's GUI as everypne has things that are good ideas and as I pointed out it's a normal thing, not some wierd esoteric foible on my part so again I'm surprised by your response to me as I'm not asking for anything unusual.

Again , I really am bafffled by our exchange.

M
Old 02-22-2024, 07:06 AM   #50
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Am I being thick here?
Yes.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:24 AM   #51
vidalsh

https://stash.reaper.fm/48247/6.gif
vidalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:42 AM   #52
Denys

Hi White Tie, thank you for the answer. I think I understand the limits of what can be done through theming. I'll see if I can make suggestions through FR for the things you can't do.

As for the FX, I'll display 3 of theme in the minimal size, it's better than nothing.

Here is another buggy behaviour I found:

About the possibility of thinner tracks, can that go through theming or is it lower level? If we could make them a few pixels lower I think I could fit 5 to 10 additional tracks, which isn't nothing in an orchestral template.
As a reference, here is what seems to be minimum size in Logic Pro. I think it's a decent compromise between readibility and usability.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:48 AM   #53
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Great treatise on the what other DAWs do, and meta complaints about the way Reaper is developed, what you needed to say was "can I have custom colours behind the inserts?". That I can answer, and yes. Though it depends on the theme. Themes are different.

Quote:
it's a normal thing, not some wierd esoteric foible on my part
You're the only person asking for this, its a you thing. Dressing it up in 'other DAWs do this' and 'this is normal' doesn't change it being just you, asking for a you thing. And in Reaper world, I'm pleased to tell you, that is groovy. Having a you thing is welcomed. You get to do whatever you want. If you want exactly what you want, use one of the many themes that do that. If you're OK with sort-of what you want, use this pre-release script.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:48 AM   #54
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidalsh View Post
Oops thanks, blush!
Old 02-22-2024, 07:59 AM   #55
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
About the possibility of thinner tracks, can that go through theming or is it lower level?
It is themable, but it not scriptable. You can mess with the values here, but the results may disappoint:

Code:
tcp_heights 3 24 49 72 ; default height of tcp panels, super-collapsed, small, medium, and full heights
( from the SDK )

This has been experimented with at length, and people have made specific themes that do what you want, but its all-or-nothing. That small for everyone. Everyone. So : not variable as an option, and very not a default theme thing, so the compromise doesn't fall your way I'm afraid.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:05 AM   #56
Denys

Quote:
Oops thanks, blush!

I'll try and mess with those values, thank you!
Old 02-22-2024, 08:33 AM   #57
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidalsh View Post
??? what does that do? it doesn't change the mixer background like in the screen shots I posted. that's just the send level.

Does anyone actually read peoples comments and look at the attached pictures before answering?

@Lunar ladder if I'm being thick then why hasn't anyone shown me how to colour the WHOLE OF THE MIXER PANNEL TO TRACK COLOURS USING V7 them and it's assembler/tweaker?

to quote White tie...' bangs head'...... it doesn't matter if I'm the only person asking, a simple answer of no that's not possible with the default is all I needed.

M
Old 02-22-2024, 08:37 AM   #58
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
??? what does that do? it doesn't change the mixer background like in the screen shots I posted. that's just the send level.
This thread is also for other stuff than you being thick.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:41 AM   #59
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
This thread is also for other stuff than you being thick.
this place is usually civil so please refrain from insults.

You can see who I am from my signature, i do not hide behind the internet. I've no idea who you are but I've never insulted you.

I've also been around here for 17 years....

M
Old 02-22-2024, 08:42 AM   #60
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
this place is usually civil so please refrain from insults.
It's you who asked whether you are being thick or not. Seriously, you are behaving like a teenager.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:44 AM   #61
norbury brook

Quote:
Oops thanks, blush!
But that's NOT what I'm asking about.

M
Old 02-22-2024, 08:45 AM   #62
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Again: this thread is for Default 7.0 Theme Adjuster v.231223b and people's findings regarding that. It's not just for you and your being the way you are and so on.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:52 AM   #63
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
You've had your answer, there are also other people. In this case vidalsh reporting a bug.

If you really are acting in good faith, then what you want is provided by any one of the many themes out there, and sort-of by this script. I believe 'you can have everything you want' should be a satisfying answer, if it isn't I can't help you.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:57 AM   #64
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
Again: this thread is for Default 7.0 Theme Adjuster v.231223b and people's findings regarding that. It's not just for you and your being the way you are and so on.
I'm only here becasue I was told by White tie to come to this thread for the answer to this question on another sub forum.

I generally don't come here as I need to get work done and only use the stable releases not pre release builds.

I should have not bothered. i asked a reasonable question, was told to come here to ge3t hold of the pre release thjeme ajuster. It wasn't the answer to my question , youu cannot change the mixer background with this. I've spent valuable time going though it as I was told it would do as I ask.

My time is valuable hence me getting frustrated at wasting it with things to try that don't do as i was asking.

M
Old 02-22-2024, 09:03 AM   #65
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
My time is valuable hence me getting frustrated at wasting it with things to try that don't do as i was asking.
For what it's worth, I've read through your whole exchange with White Tie, starting from the other thread, and it's just you who is repeatedly misunderstanding what he is telling you. I won't clutter this thread further, personally, and now just please consider doing the same. See what your best options are, given all the answers you have already received, and move on from there.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:05 AM   #66
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I told you to use another theme but then you said you wanted to do it (unclear what it was) with the Default 7 and here we are. You've had your answer many many times : if its that important, use another theme. Now you are arguing with people making valuable bug reports. Please, enough.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:38 PM   #67
daeavelwyn

Hello WhiteTie,

Not sure why but got this crash :

another example:
Code:
...PER\Scripts\ThemeAdjuster\Default_7.0_theme_adjuster.lua:1499: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value (field 'iFrameC')
So I restarted Reaper and now everything is just black...I've reseted the theme before clicking on any other button of course

Any thought ?
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 03:06 PM   #68
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeavelwyn View Post
Hello WhiteTie,

Not sure why but got this crash :

another example:
Code:
...PER\Scripts\ThemeAdjuster\Default_7.0_theme_adjuster.lua:1499: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value (field 'iFrameC')
So I restarted Reaper and now everything is just black...I've reseted the theme before clicking on any other button of course

Any thought ?
Are you using the default 7 theme?

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 04:22 PM   #69
daeavelwyn

Yes, I am. I tweaked colors throught the action list tweaker options, but didn't touch the rtconfig.txt or things like that.
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 04:57 PM   #70
vidalsh

black window track control panels:

If you close the script in one tab different that track control panels, then at reopen when you changes to track control panels there is a black window in the middle.

Track control panels only runs good if the scritp is closed in the track control panels selected, otherwise in reopen will get black window.
vidalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:08 PM   #71
Coachz

Quote:
Yes, I am. I tweaked colors throught the action list tweaker options, but didn't touch the rtconfig.txt or things like that.
Can you back up the reaper-themeconfig.ini and then delete it and restart the tweaker

Coachz Repo
Old 02-23-2024, 11:13 AM   #72
alexgameaudio

Hey hey, I just updated and like the new layout.

However, I have one thing I'm trying to do, and I'm not sure if it is possible with this tool.

Basically, I have put all TCP elements same section, and I want that section to always be visible, even on tracks that don't have any populated slots. This would make a huge difference in usability for me.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:28 AM   #73
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgameaudio View Post
Hey hey, I just updated and like the new layout.

However, I have one thing I'm trying to do, and I'm not sure if it is possible with this tool.

Basically, I have put all TCP elements same section, and I want that section to always be visible, even on tracks that don't have any populated slots. This would make a huge difference in usability for me.
Are you referring to the Pin space even when empty option ?

Coachz Repo
Old 02-24-2024, 02:44 AM   #74
Edison

Default Theme Adjuster v. 231223c

Hello @WT

Error warning after running REAPER version 7.11+dev0223

Best Regards,
Old 02-24-2024, 05:17 AM   #75
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison View Post
Hello @WT

Error warning after running REAPER version 7.11+dev0223

Best Regards,
What is the error?

Coachz Repo
Old 02-24-2024, 05:50 AM   #76
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Yes sorry there's a new version number in the latest pre.
Old 02-24-2024, 05:52 AM   #77
Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
What is the error?
This error-> Script version 231223 does not match theme version 240223

P.S. The cool thing is that we know in advance that we will soon have a new version!

Last edited by Edison; 02-24-2024 at 06:02 AM.
Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:07 AM   #78
xpander

Quote:
I got the same error when clicking on Adjuster tabs (Global, TCP etc.) and I'm running Reaper v7.11. But that happened with my older tweaked Default theme (from v7.07). Changing to actual current v7.11 Default theme and error is gone.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote