Old 01-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
PointReyes
Human being with feelings

Default Questions about the tempo envelope.

I'm used to Cubase in that I can create a tempo point and have it default to "jump" or "ramp". Also, it's a single click in the Info Line for existing tempo markers as to whether or not I want a point to be "jump" or "ramp" instead of going to menu then clicking. And if I have snap off, I can put tempo markers wherever I want.

In Reaper, from what I understand, I need to first go into the Edit Tempo menu and then click"Gradually transition tempo to next marker" for every tempo I want a ramp/curve on. And even if Snap is off, I'm locked to the grid with adding tempo markers.

1. Is there a more intuitive way or a script I can access with a key mod to create a ramp instead of a jump?

2. How can I add tempo markers outside of the grid?

3. Is there a way to do Bezier curves for tempo (Cubase doesn't have that either, but I'm hoping Reaper might!)?

Last edited by PointReyes; 01-22-2020 at 05:47 PM.
PointReyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
hopi

no curves but
two types of lines... square and linear
and the gradually transition thing

the location of points IS a bit screwy and I don't know why...
if you have snap set to on and set your grid way small, you can move points to any grid line but with snap off, you can only move between 1/8 grid lines.... totally bass ackward and likely a bug...
I can't explain it ...just know how to make it work...

as to setting a point outside the grid, you can't by dragging but can by editing the point it self.... so when reads something like position = 1.3.275
you can change that to 1.3.341 and the point will go there... BUT then do NOT select it with your mouse or it revert to a grid line...

Yeah... I know... it's very strange but I can't do anything about that
Old 01-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
no curves but
two types of lines... square and linear
and the gradually transition thing

the location of points IS a bit screwy and I don't know why...
if you have snap set to on and set your grid way small, you can move points to any grid line but with snap off, you can only move between 1/8 grid lines.... totally bass ackward and likely a bug...
I can't explain it ...just know how to make it work...

as to setting a point outside the grid, you can't by dragging but can by editing the point it self.... so when reads something like position = 1.3.275
you can change that to 1.3.341 and the point will go there... BUT then do NOT select it with your mouse or it revert to a grid line...

Yeah... I know... it's very strange but I can't do anything about that
about question 1) The linear is the gradual transition thing they are not separate features. You can make a curve with more points in linear(gradual)

about question 2)Here I don't have this problem I can move my tempo points every where with snap off.Or are you talking about adding points? Because adding points it is a little awkward here too. But I tend To add point by the action ( Insert tempo mark at edit cursor without asking dialog ) Then I can insert it every where! But if the tempo is not (X/4 like 12/8 4/16 2/3 etc) I recommend to (insert tempo/time signature change marker at edit cursor...) I have keyboard short cuts for both.

3) Do a Bezier adding more points

daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:59 AM   #4
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointReyes View Post
1. Is there a more intuitive way or a script I can access with a key mod to create a ramp instead of a jump?
You can link the actions "Set default point shape to linear/square" to keyboard shortcuts, or even toolbar buttons or mouse modifiers. (Any other single-click methods can easily be scripted.)

Quote:
2. How can I add tempo markers outside of the grid?
Actions such as "Insert tempo at edit cursor, without opening tempo edit dialog", don't try to snap the marker to the grid (and can be assigned to a keyboard shortcut, or a mouse modifier action in the "Ruler" context).
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
idragosani

Quote:

3. Is there a way to do Bezier curves for tempo (Cubase doesn't have that either, but I'm hoping Reaper might!)?
Ah, was looking for the same thing... looks like Logic X is the only DAW that allows curves for tempo envelopes.
idragosani is offline   Reply With Quote