Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
lawrs
Human being with feelings

Default Novation Remote Zero SL MK2 compatibility

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a Remote Zero SL MK2, and I would really appreciate if current owners of this specific unit could chip in.

Does Automap 3 Pro work as seamlessly with plugins/VSTi as advertised?

Does Automap 3 painlessly maps plugin parameters to the hardware without the much need of tweaking (unless further customization is wanted)?

Does all buttons related to plugins work ? My main concern is solely using it to control plugin FX parameters, such as EQ's and Compressors.

I'm aware of Padre PC's csurf mod too. From what I understand, Padre PC's mod is focused more on getting the Remote SL series to work as a controller for Reaper rather than plugins. Also his mod seems to be based on Midi CC's , which I would like to stay away from due to its tediousness and complexity.

Please clarify if AUTOMAP 3 PRO works with these VSTi , out of the box.

Native Instruments Kontakt 4 (for tweaking rotary knobs and using drumpads for Steven Slate Drums)
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 4 (rotary knobs)
IK Multimedia Amplitube 3 (rotary knobs)
URS EQ Bundle (rotary knobs)

There's a shop that allows me to bring my laptop in and plug the Remote Zero SL MK2 for a test run. I'm not quite sure how do I set up AutoMap and Reaper to play along nicely. There's so many posts here on how to set up AutoMap with Reaper, but all seem to vary depending on usage expectations (most people are looking to control track volume/pan, using to control Reaper, and not using AutoMap 3 Pro) . Again, my main concern is using the hardware to control plugin parameters only, I'm very happy using keyboard and mouse for editing and transport functions.

From what I've gather, here's how I should set up the AutoMap 3 (not pro yet as I haven't purchased the hardware) .

1.Install AutoMap 3.3
2. Run AutoMap plugin manager and add preferred plugins to be wrapped
3. Run the Automap server and "Enable HUI"
4. In Reaper > Preferences > MIDI devices > enable AutoMap HUI
5. In Reaper > Preferences > Control surfaces > HUI (partial) > (Select Automap HUI for MIDI Input and Output)
6. On Novation Remote hardware, switch to template 38.

7. At this point the controller will function right away.

8. Just start up any VST that was wrapped with the Plugin manager and random parameters are mapped to the controller.

9. make sure the 'Automap Server' is running before start working in Reaper.

Is this correct? I will install AutoMap 3 (free version) and have everything ready set up, then march into the store and plug the Remote Zero SL MK2 in, and hope that it magically controls whatever plugin/vsti that I load. If it works, I'll buy it.

Also, can anyone tell me what Padre PC's mod could do that the default couldn't? Other than ability to map keyboard actions ? (which can be done with Automap 3 Pro anyway..)

By the way, I already have the Frontier Design AlphaTrack, which turns out to be a disappointment due to lack of better support in Reaper.

Thank you for going through my long queries. Money is hard to come by these days, and after purchasing some dead toys such as the Alphatrack, I'd really hate it if this doesn't work like advertised , only in Reaper's case.
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
nightscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrs View Post
Is this correct? I will install AutoMap 3 (free version) and have everything ready set up, then march into the store and plug the Remote Zero SL MK2 in, and hope that it magically controls whatever plugin/vsti that I load. If it works, I'll buy it.
Sounds like a plan. You have a good grasp of how to set things up without having used the product extensively so you'll see very quickly in the shop if it's suitable for your requirements. Just remember to hit the little automap button right of the crossfader to toggle between automap and normal CC modes as needed.

Good hunting.

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
mucknog

Default Results

Hi there,

I know it's an old thread but I'm curious how everything worked out.
I'm also considering buying a Novation ReMote ZeRO SL MkII, so any info would be highly appreciated.

Thnx
mucknog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
schuster

I am exchanging my Axiom Pro for the Novation SL 49 MKII next week and will be testing it - will post the results on the thread I started here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=107796

The mapping should be the same as the Zero - so hopefully my posts will be helpful.

Also check out this thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...hlight=automap
schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
ivansc

I had ther original Zero and never did get on with it.
Wound up with a BCF2000 which I also dumped once I got a Nano Kontrol (well two actually) and a Nano Pad.
Never looked back.

I think they tried to make the Novation line into a one stop shop and somehow it all got a little too complex.
Spent more time wrestling with Automap than making music.
YMMV of course
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #6
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuster View Post
I am exchanging my Axiom Pro for the Novation SL 49 MKII next week and will be testing it - will post the results on the thread I started here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=107796

The mapping should be the same as the Zero - so hopefully my posts will be helpful.

Also check out this thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...hlight=automap
Old thread but just got a 25 SL MK II and was wondering how your SL MK II is working with Reaper.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote