Old 01-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Pushing REAPER for Linux

A jam song I did that started out playing around with a patch I created on the very cool Xhip synth. I later played a bass line and added some Latin percussion using my Akai desktop pad controller with Superior Drummer. Lastly I played a guitar solo on keyboard using Kontakt's solo guitar patch, and then played the drums using my V-Drums with Superior Drummer.

This was all recorded in REAPER for Linux using Windows and Linux plugins. Adding the drums last and playing/monitoring them in real time was on the money tight.

I call this bit SynTax, since it started out on a synth.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13833288
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:15 AM   #2
Mcgiver69

Sounds great!!

Those drums sound very real to me and for a minute the guitar almost fooled me

Nice one mate great job.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #3
Glennbo

Thanks! I did this as a sort of stress test. The Latin Percussion is about a half a gig of samples in one instance of Superior Drummer, and the drum kit is around 2 GB of samples in another instance of it, plus I've got a sampled Steinway grand piano, Kontakt, Xhip synth and a bunch of FX loaded up. I mostly wanted to see if I could play the sampled drums from my V-Drums pad kit after putting all the other parts and FX on, which is how I always did it in Windows.

I primarily use real acoustic drums these days, but thought doing a quick project like I did when I was using sampled drums would be a good test since playing sampled drums reveals latency issues for me better than any other sampled instruments. REAPER's performance in Linux was just as good as I got when I was recording drums like this in Windows, and this is using Windows drums plugins bridged with LinVST. I'm very happy with how it is working and don't really need Windows for anything now.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
Mcgiver69

Have you tried recording drums using soundfonts? As they are direct from disk can lower latency problems. I normally use ARIA Player which runs very well in LinVST and has multi-output.

In all honesty latency is never been a problem for me in Linux, my problem always been finding a DAW that has all the tools I need and finding good plugins. Now with Reaper I got almost everything I normally use and the rest can be done using LinVst. I only wish they get support for LV2 plugins that would be fantastic.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
Have you tried recording drums using soundfonts? As they are direct from disk can lower latency problems. I normally use ARIA Player which runs very well in LinVST and has multi-output.
I have used some drum and percussion soundfonts and used Phenome with LinVST. ARIA Player looks pretty cool though, I'll have to try it out.

Quote:
In all honesty latency is never been a problem for me in Linux, my problem always been finding a DAW that has all the tools I need and finding good plugins. Now with Reaper I got almost everything I normally use and the rest can be done using LinVst. I only wish they get support for LV2 plugins that would be fantastic.
The latency issue I was testing for in this was to see if my system would bog down to the point that I would need to increase the latency to prevent pops and clicks or other artifacts. Putting the drums on last, with lots of other stuff consuming CPU and memory would expose issues if the system were getting taxed. I run REAPER lower than 5ms which feels quite tight on drums, even when playing very quick buzz rolls.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
Mcgiver69

Wow 5ms is quite impressive, Obviously the OS is doing some heavy lifting too to help with latency, that's where Linux excels.

If you are interested in the Aria Player you can download it from here:

https://usermanuals.garritan.com/ARI...stallation.htm

It works great!!

You could try Sforzando but this one don't provide multi-outputs but works great too.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Wow 5ms is quite impressive, Obviously the OS is doing some heavy lifting too to help with latency, that's where Linux excels.

If you are interested in the Aria Player you can download it from here:

https://usermanuals.garritan.com/ARI...stallation.htm

It works great!!

You could try Sforzando but this one don't provide multi-outputs but works great too.
Thanks for the link! Grabbing it now.

Edit: well, I was on the page to grab it, but I'm not finding the download link.

I do have sforzando and just noticed it now has an issue with it's GUI. Don't know at what point this happened, because I've use it in the Linux version of REAPER before, but now when I open it, it's GUI becomes this jumbled mess of things that were on screen prior to opening it.

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-04-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
Mcgiver69

Looks like they removed the link to the free player, I have the installation file and can provide a link so you can download it.

I have some free SFZ files (Some instruments and Drums) you can pick up if you fancy them too
Old 01-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
Looks like they removed the link to the free player, I have the installation file and can provide a link so you can download it.

I have some free SFZ files (Some instruments and Drums) you can pick up if you fancy them too
Thanks, but if they aren't considering it to be free any longer, I don't want to infringe on their work. I really have more sampled drums and instruments than I need at this point. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I use real acoustic drums these days, and only reverted back to Superior Drummer played by V-Drums for this stress test. It was however kind of fun playing the old sampled kit again.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #10
Mcgiver69

No problems, I just thought they wouldn't care as the installation doesn't require any type of serialization or subscription.

Well keep the good work and let me know if I can be of any help.

thanks
Old 01-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #11
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
A jam song I did that started out playing around with a patch I created on the very cool Xhip synth. I later played a bass line and added some Latin percussion using my Akai desktop pad controller with Superior Drummer. Lastly I played a guitar solo on keyboard using Kontakt's solo guitar patch, and then played the drums using my V-Drums with Superior Drummer.

This was all recorded in REAPER for Linux using Windows and Linux plugins. Adding the drums last and playing/monitoring them in real time was on the money tight.

I call this bit SynTax, since it started out on a synth.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13833288
Nice job you are settling into reaper well. Fantastic!
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #12
Glennbo

Thanks S Wave. I'm real pleased that I can slap digital drums on as the last track, and it still plays nice and tight from the V-Drums through REAPER to Superior Drummer 2 via LinVST and WINE.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Thanks S Wave. I'm real pleased that I can slap digital drums on as the last track, and it still plays nice and tight from the V-Drums through REAPER to Superior Drummer 2 via LinVST and WINE.
Yea I love it. Really nice job with Xhip too. Its a bit buggy but it doesn't slow me down with it. The nice thing about it is you come across with nice use-able sounds quickly and often. I am moving over quickly into the digi sampling world like you. Allows you to rapidize workflow.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote