Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 03-03-2019, 02:19 AM   #1
Regisfofo
Human being with feelings

Default Fx Bypass Mute/unmute behavior question

Hi!
I'm still in the construction of a live giging instrument with reaper and I'm stuck at some point. Hope I'm gonna be clear enough, as I'm not so fluent with english!

If I have a vst delay or reverb on a track, if I mute it while playing and then unmute it a while later it plays the tail of the precise moment I muted it. Is it possible to keep reaper from playing that tail ?

Thanks in advance!
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:24 AM   #2
mschnell

When live playing VSTs you need to take care that the resulting latency of the complete project is not too high.

This latency results from all plugins in all not muted tracks, and is imposed to make sure that all tracks are finally mixed at the same "sample number".

Regarding Reverb, some convolution reverb vsts introduce a huge latency (given in "spls" on the low frame of the FX chain window). E.g. with ReaVerb you can check the "LL" and and "ZL" to eliminate the latency (but get higher CPU usage).

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #3
Regisfofo

Thank you for taking time to answer me,
but I think you missed my point :
I have no latency issue, I only search a way my delays and reverb not to play their "old tail" when they are switch unbypassed again.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
mschnell

What do you mean by "bypass" ?

I do know that muting a track by default stalls the FXes. But you can configure Reaper to leave them running and hence spitting out the tail in the muted stream, so that it's done when unmuting.

But you also could use other means to "mute" some audio stream. E.g. "MIDI Fade X" can perform a fade out and a delayed muting of the track. This will result in a "spill over" of the reverb/echo tail when switching a "sound" (preset).

-Michael
Old 03-04-2019, 01:49 AM   #5
Regisfofo

Yes I know about Midi Fade X, and I use it to get nice fade out with super8looper and send a kill message afterwards (thanks a lot for the work by the way )

By bypass, I mean tick the bypass button on the top right corner of the fx window.
If I'm playing with the delay no problem,
Then I bypass the delay ok,
Then I need delay again so I unbypass it, here my problem is that the delay plays first the tail of my playing just before bypass. And I don't want that, I need it to start as if it was new.

I did test with several delay/reverb vst plugins including readelay, and each time same happen.

I can think of some workaround switching fx plugin window's dry/wet from 100% to 0% instead of bypassing it. But it seems a lot less convenient for midi learning.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:19 AM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisfofo View Post
By bypass, I mean tick the bypass button on the top right corner of the fx window.
I have no knowledge on how exactly this checkbox works. Supposedly it in fact stalls the plugin (not "sending a sample clock to it). So maybe there is no work around with that.

I recommend using pin routing and MIDI Fade X in additional channels instead.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-06-2019 at 08:22 AM.