Old 02-14-2020, 01:15 AM   #1
_MrKurgan_
Human being with feelings

Default Problems with ART Tubeopto 8

Hi, new to the forum. Not sure if this belongs here, move the thread if necessary.

The thing is I recently replaced my Presonus digital mixing desk with a Focusrite interface (Scarlett 18i20), and I bought an ART Tubeopto 8 preamp to get another 8 inputs. I've connected the two devices as ART suggests in the user manual, but I can't get Reaper to recognize the additional 8 inputs.

I made sure every cable is hooked up correctly, and the LEDs on the ART show everything is working up nicely, but Reaper still shows me only the inputs from the Focusrite interface (from Analog 1 to Digital 10).

Anyone has had the same problem? Should I return the preamp and get something more reliable?

Thanks in advance.
_MrKurgan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:19 AM   #2
ivansc

I have used the Behringer equivalent and still use the focusrite version, assuming the extra inputs are transmitted by ADAT connection. If you are using the focusrite`s ADAT digital I/O this should work fine provided you have properly installed the right drivers for the focusrite.

What do you have showing up in your ASIO settings?

Forgot to say welcome to the forums.
Tons of useful helpful stuff at reaper.fm, like the free user guide and the multitude of great video tutorials by Kenny Gioia and others.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
Stella645

The Focusrite digital inputs ARE the ART inputs.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
serr

The Tubeopto 8 is not an audio interface itself and would have no way of being used as one. It's a preamp and AD converter unit with an ADAT digital output. You need to connect it to an ADAT input on your Focusrite interface and then set the sample rate clock on your Focusrite interface to clock off the ADAT input instead of internal.

It's an efficient use of the digital inputs on your Focusrite interface and a less complex setup than connecting multiple audio interfaces actually. Not a con.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #5
_MrKurgan_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
The Focusrite digital inputs ARE the ART inputs.
Already tried that. Didn't work. I checked everything multiple times in case I forgot something, and it seems I didn't. I'll keep on trying to figure it out.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #6
_MrKurgan_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I have used the Behringer equivalent and still use the focusrite version, assuming the extra inputs are transmitted by ADAT connection. If you are using the focusrite`s ADAT digital I/O this should work fine provided you have properly installed the right drivers for the focusrite.

What do you have showing up in your ASIO settings?

Forgot to say welcome to the forums.
Tons of useful helpful stuff at reaper.fm, like the free user guide and the multitude of great video tutorials by Kenny Gioia and others.
Thanks for the warm welcome! Yeah mate, I found out later that the ART needs for some obscure reason 2 ADAT cables plus a WC cable in order to function. Plus, you need to set the Scarlett clock to internal (no ADAT in this case, using only one ADAT cable ends up in the preamp not being able to function).

I tried everything that I could think of and I still could not get it to function properly. I am already thinking of returning the unit and buying something else, maybe a Focusrite preamp (maybe I should've done that in the first place since I use a Focusrite interface).
Old 02-14-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
Trogdor

I have a Tube Opto 8. There seems to be something wrong with your unit as mine is working properly with just one optical cable only.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:08 AM   #8
serr

You would only need two ADAT cables if you wished to keep your Focusrite as sample rate clock master. That would mean needing to deliver clock to the ART - hence a 2nd cable. Make the ART master and then clock the Focusrite from its ADAT input and you only need the single ADAT cable.

You always have to connect multiple digital devices being used together to a single master sample rate clock. It's a thing. This is in addition to the digital audio connection or any aggregate device config.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:15 AM   #9
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MrKurgan_ View Post
Already tried that. Didn't work. I checked everything multiple times in case I forgot something, and it seems I didn't. I'll keep on trying to figure it out.
You tried what and it didn't work??

If you can see Focusrite digital inputs then you are seeing the ART inputs. Your problem as described is that Reaper can't recognise the ART inputs.....but it is recognising them, so it's unclear what the problem is exactly.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:16 AM   #10
ivansc

Real silly one: In the layout for choosing your inputs & outputs within reaper, you DID see if there was more than just the initial Input 1/2 and output 1/2, didn`t you?
If not, go to prefs options audio device & you will see the I/O choices boxes once you select the focusrite ASIO device. When you click on the downward facing arrowhead on the input box, if you device is installed correctly you should see all connected input options show up, not just 1 & 2. same goes fore the outputs.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #11
Softshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Real silly one: In the layout for choosing your inputs & outputs within reaper, you DID see if there was more than just the initial Input 1/2 and output 1/2, didn`t you?
If not, go to prefs options audio device & you will see the I/O choices boxes once you select the focusrite ASIO device. When you click on the downward facing arrowhead on the input box, if you device is installed correctly you should see all connected input options show up, not just 1 & 2. same goes fore the outputs.
This could be it. I recently got a Behringer ADA8200, similar to your ART unit. Eventually figured out the need to activate the extra ins & outs via Reaper prefs. Also had to go into the RME prefs & activate all ins & outs there as well. OTOH it seems like Stella has a point. I'm not familiar with the Focusrite setup but I'd guess the Digital inputs are indeed the ART inputs. My inputs in Reaper are listed as : Analog 1 thru 10, s/pdif L&R, (from RME interface) then ADAT 1 through 8. Doesn't say anything about Behringer. I'd guess Focusrite is calling the ADAT inputs "Digital".

AFA connections. You only need two opto cables if you want to use the inputs AND outputs from the ADAT. If you don't want to use the clock from the ART, as Serr suggested, then you'll need a Wordclock cable. Pretty simple actually. Just make sure the opto cables are connected correctly. Out from ART to in on Focusrite. Out from Focusrite to in on ART. Then make sure the Focusrite is set to master clock and the ART should sync up.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MrKurgan_ View Post
I hope you get it figured out. Be sure to let us know if you do. And also, when you get it working. could you let me know what you think about it? I have a Focusrite 18i20 and love it. I have wondered about picking up this same ART unit to add 8 more inputs. I would love to hear how you think they compare to the Focusrite inputs. The Focusrite preamps are crazy clean. So I know the ART will not sound as clean. But I would like to know if the color and character is nice, on the ART.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:09 AM   #13
ivansc

@OP one further thought if this doesn't work out. I wound up after at one time having a total of 2 focusrite octopres and 2 Behri AD8000 devices reverting to JUST the forusrites and getting any additional preamp flavours I felt I needed from my elderly but insanely characterful JoeMeek Studio Channel VC1 and my original Golden Age Products GAP 73 Pre. Between the clean, the mean and the divine I have a pretty good scope as far as preamp "sounds" are concerned without having broken my piggy bank. Oh and now I only really do demos for myself at home, I am down to just one Octopre.