Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-29-2018, 07:13 AM   #1
DLA23
Human being with feelings

Default Patch change in MIDI file

I create a track & assign an instrument to it, import a MIDI file & a different instrument plays. Where can I edit the MIDI file to stop it loading a different patch?
DLA23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello DLA23 and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
Two ways (at least):
(a) In the MIDI Editor / Piano Roll View
-- display the Bank/Program Select lane,
-- double-click over the event to open the dialogue,
-- select "Event properties",
-- edit the Program or MSB/LSB numbers.

(b) In the MIDI editor / Event List view
-- double-click over the event to open the dialogue,
-- select "Event properties",
-- edit the Program or MSB/LSB numbers.

And you would be best off creating a "ReaBank" file for your instrument so that you can use meaningful program names (the examples above is the factory General MIDI reaBank).

Details are in the User Guide.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
DLA23

Thanks. I'll try that when I'm at my PC.
I've been reading the user guide and seen a few of the excellent videos but I'm new at this so I've been trying a few things out to familiarize myself with the layout etc. In some ways I find Reaper to be logical in it's methods & in other ways very dense as far as the endless options available. I'm currently trying out Cakewalk by Bandlab & also Studio One Artist 4 but in terms of documentation, information available & support (this forum, videos etc) Reaper is far in the lead.
I need to get to grips with MIDI at present (in terms of channels, banks, buses, routing etc) and until I do I'm restricting myself to the basics such as configuring my NI Komplete Kontroller A25 keyboard as best as is possible & overcoming problems due to my ignorance & unfamiliarity with the terminology but I'm slowly getting there.
Once again, thanks for your help.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
DLA23

You say:
'Two ways (at least):
(a) In the MIDI Editor / Piano Roll View
-- display the Bank/Program Select lane...

I've fallen at the first fence - there is nothing: no events in the Bank/Program Select lane...
I'm probably doing something wrong I guess
Old 12-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
DarkStar

Do you mean you cannot display that lane? If so, click the [+} button and select it from the list.

Or, if you mean there are no events in that lane, then Reaper is not sending any Program Change messages to the synth. So it may well play some default sound.

You can add an event into that lane - double-click in it and insert the detials (you may want to load the .reaBank file in the dialogue first).

Which instrument are you using?
Old 12-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
DLA23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Do you mean you cannot display that lane? If so, click the [+} button and select it from the list.

Or, if you mean there are no events in that lane, then Reaper is not sending any Program Change messages to the synth. So it may well play some default sound.

You can add an event into that lane - double-click in it and insert the detials (you may want to load the .reaBank file in the dialogue first).

Which instrument are you using?
I can display the lane but there's no events showing. Currently there's a rather superb Steve Vai guitar(ish) patch playing but it's not suitable for the track.
Leave it with me at present as there are other odd things occurring such as there's suddenly no instruments showing! Also I need to investigate ReaRoute (& ReaBank) in an attempt to reduce my confusion.