Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #81
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I think its all the video stuff that it does that would likely make it worth it but yeah...if it is just for audio, doing it on a mac would probably make more sense

The more expensive ones let you do V calls or whatever, but is there some way to get calls in with the cheaper ones? It does have NDI
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #82
kodebode2
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I think its all the video stuff that it does that would likely make it worth it but yeah...if it is just for audio, doing it on a mac would probably make more sense

The more expensive ones let you do V calls or whatever, but is there some way to get calls in with the cheaper ones? It does have NDI
Considering :

1. What you've already spent on virtual audio cables + dante virtual devices,

2. as well as time invested in research and testing,

3. as VMix has a fully functioning 60 day trial version,

4. allows (from the specs), integration of multiple ASIO(e.g Dante as ASIO + M32 via ASIO, simultaneously) as well as WDM sources...

5. And does all manner of video streaming, mixing, etc..

6. Has a basic version for free(which may be just what you need) and some paid versions starting at $60.

You may want to :

1. Consider replacing OBS with VMix. (I've always considered that the challenge with an OBS based solution was its limited native support for well established standards such as ASIO - and Vmix solves this issue)

2. Invest some time in learning Vmix and testing it, for your specific requirements.

3. My quick look at its audio features indicates that it has support for an excellent audio matrix mixer within it with some matrix mixing functions.

https://www.vmix.com/help22/

"Channel Matrix

Channel Matrix is an 8x16 audio router built in to every input.
This can be used for simple setups such as routing a mono Microphone channel to both Left and Right, all the way up to advanced scenarios
where each of the independent NDI or SDI Embedded audio channels can be routed to one of the four stereo audio buses.

Each column represents a source channel, each row represents a destination bus that the channel can be routed to."

So rather than try to fix/workaround limitations of OBS, and poor native support for aggregating/routing audio in Windows, routing audio and video from your various sources, recording and streaming, could be done via a combination of virtual cables, VMix and Reaper.

Video is not my forte, but from a layman's view - Vmix looks pretty comprehensive, and an inexpensive or free version of it could just be what you need.
kodebode2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #83
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I set it up for a radio/tv/internet station here in Honolulu and its really cool for what they're doing. Not too positive how it would work for google hangouts.

My setup is really working very well, just following the setup advice you had. I finally gave restream.io a try last night and it worked pretty well too!
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #84
supahotgigi

(I'm new to forum so I hope I'm doing this right)

It seems like no one talked about ReaStream here.

It's one of the standard Reaper plugins that come with the daw. It lets you send audio through lan to a receiver.

OBS can use external vst plugins as audio filters. So basically you just download the ReaPlugs and install them into obs. Then you put the ReaStream plugin on your Master Track and send the audio to your ip. In OBS add ReaStream as vst plugin to an audio channel and select "receive". And there you have your master output in a OBS audio channel.

No complex routing, no external softwares, no drivers involved, low latency, and low cpu usage.

Problem is it works only on softwares that can use external plugins.
supahotgigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #85
kodebode2

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahotgigi View Post
(I'm new to forum so I hope I'm doing this right)

It seems like no one talked about ReaStream here.

It's one of the standard Reaper plugins that come with the daw. It lets you send audio through lan to a receiver.

OBS can use external vst plugins as audio filters. So basically you just download the ReaPlugs and install them into obs. Then you put the ReaStream plugin on your Master Track and send the audio to your ip. In OBS add ReaStream as vst plugin to an audio channel and select "receive". And there you have your master output in a OBS audio channel.

No complex routing, no external softwares, no drivers involved, low latency, and low cpu usage.

Problem is it works only on softwares that can use external plugins.
Restream is a good suggestion, in principle.

My experience with it however, indicates that routing IP traffic from one app to another, on the same computer, uses quite a bit of CPU, and running this at low latency is tasking on the computer. ReaStream was my 1st inter-app audio routing solution, but I moved on to Voicemeeter Banana which is more efficient at this routing.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:25 AM   #86
supahotgigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodebode2 View Post
Restream is a good suggestion, in principle.

My experience with it however, indicates that routing IP traffic from one app to another, on the same computer, uses quite a bit of CPU, and running this at low latency is tasking on the computer. ReaStream was my 1st inter-app audio routing solution, but I moved on to Voicemeeter Banana which is more efficient at this routing.
Oh really? I'm testing it rn, just one track with a song, ReaStream on the master track sending audio to obs and I have around 150ms latency but only 1-2% cpu usage, it's not that bad in my case, and I'm using it on a laptop which is not the fastest machine ever. Maybe it depends a lot on the computer and the internet used
supahotgigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #87
kodebode2

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahotgigi View Post
Oh really? I'm testing it rn, just one track with a song, ReaStream on the master track sending audio to obs and I have around 150ms latency but only 1-2% cpu usage, it's not that bad in my case, and I'm using it on a laptop which is not the fastest machine ever. Maybe it depends a lot on the computer and the internet used
You have a point. My experience was a while ago, and it was also likely, very likely that that laptop a DELL, had issues which contributed to my aforementined observation.

Glad that ReaStream work for you.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:36 AM   #88
danyjr

I'm also going to give a quick instruction for people who want to stream their Reaper session on Skype

First thing to do is to download and install a couple of software:

VB-CABLE Virtual Audio Device
Voxengo Recorder

Now open your Reaper session.

On your MASTER track (or any routed track), go to FX and add Voxengo Recorder.

Use CABLE Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable) as your MME device. Use Output to MME. As shown below. Then press Start. Anything you playback on Reaper will now be sent to your Virtual Cable.

Then go to Skype settings and set your microphone as CABLE Output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable).

You're all set
Attached Images
File Type: png Voxengo.png (51.4 KB, 532 views)
File Type: jpg Skype.jpg (47.7 KB, 481 views)
danyjr is offline   Reply With Quote