Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2014, 02:45 AM   #28
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanofoz View Post
With respect, I'll not buy into your posts any further. I've spent more time addressing your questions than the rest of my time in this thread combined, and I don't think it's helping to solve the problem at hand. I feel that you are just trying to prove me wrong in many ways, and if so the burden of proof falls to you I'm afraid.
Suit yourself, but the problem at hand is all in your head. We all start out not knowing how to convert PCM to FP. But your making up assumptions and then attacking my motives for questioning your assumptions, that's psychosis on your part.

Quote:
To convert from FP to 24 bit take the bottom 23 bits, add the implied bit to give you the significand. Bit shift according to the exponent. Apply the sign bit.
That would map the FP range [-1.0, +1.0] onto three and only three 24-bit PCM values: -1, 0, and +1. Now that would be a real error.
Quote:
I'll leave it to you to reverse the process.
He doesn't know how it should be done; but that isn't stopping him from accusing others of doing it wrong.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmoniumNitrate View Post
And somewhere along the way you decided that an x800000 in 24-bit PCM should convert to -1.0 in FP, and you decided that if anyone does it differently, you'd call it "noise" and "error", even if the results weren't noisy or erroneous in any conventional sense?
I made no such decision. Others before me have decided that years ago. I'm not aware of anyone doing it differently, including Reaper, so what am I calling anything?
Who are these "others" he's talking about? That's not how we always did things at CCRMA, Creative Labs, or Intel. This guy's lack of awareness (combined with his pretending he knows what he's talking about) is the problem, and it doesn't mean Reaper, Windows, or anyone else is causing "noise" as he's accusing.

Quote:
But that's not even what I'm talking about. Some combination of Reaper, the Zoom16 and its ASIO driver, Win 8, some so far unknown procedure of mine is placing non-integer values into the original file. This is incorrect.
He's making a choice to interpret the FP values in a certain way, and that's no one's error but his own.

Quote:
Anything that deviates from a correct signal may certainly be referred to as errors or noise.
He's aware of only one way to convert 24-bit PCM to 32-bit FP, and he's pretending it's the only "correct" way. This error is his, no one else's. He misunderstands what it means to "correctly" convert 24-bit PCM to 32-bit FP. His conception of "noise" is absurd, despite his certainty.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmoniumNitrate View Post
... By that, you simply mean that Reaper and Audition translate 24-bit PCM to 32-bit FP differently, and you choose to call any divergence from Audition's translation "noise"? And even if Reaper converts the 32-bit FP file back to the original 24-bit PCM signal without a hitch, you'll still say there was "noise" and "error", because that's your concept of "noise" and "error"?
... I expect they do their conversions the same way.
This expectation is an error on his part; no one else's. More like a delusion, to the extreme he's taking it.

Last edited by AmmoniumNitrate; 06-27-2014 at 03:46 AM.