Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #1
Digideus
Human being with feelings

Default Does anyone know when Reaper Version 6 is due to land?

I did a search for this, but couldnt find anything on the forums, so I thought I would drop this here. I dont Forum half as much as I used to, and I havent ever had to diagnose anything about Reaper (which is great!) so heres my question....

I bought a Reaper licence around 4.52 a LOOOOOOOG time ago, and it has occured to me that we are running out of numbers for Version 5, so 6 cant be *That* far away

When 6 does finally get here, I have to buy a new license, like a lot of other people on here as well I guess.

Any ideas?
Digideus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
nait

Well, for starters, there's been quite a few threads on this, but I'm not here to play forum moderator. Anyways, I hate to burst your bubble, but they could go for forever with version numbers.. just tack another number to the right.. 5.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999999999999 etc.

Last I heard, I think it is being worked on, but it doesn't sound like it is close.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
Digideus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
Well, for starters, there's been quite a few threads on this
I did a search and everything! Still, good news my $60 is probably the best investment in making music I ever shelled out Cheers
Digideus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
nait

Yeah, I bit the bullet and bought Reaper a couple weeks ago. Of course they give you an extra version with your license, but I was initially wondering if I'd be buying a license for 5.x and 6 would be due out right away. Of course, these nice developers at Cockos give you a heck of a long life out of your license though! Will probably be at least a few years before I'm looking at a new license again.

Here's one of the Reaper 6 discussion threads that you might want to pop in and check out. There's some speculation and other talk in there: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=197730
Old 09-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
Coachz

I forget, does Reaper put out a beta of 6?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #6
Lokasenna

There hasn't been any sort of public alpha or beta yet, but there's no guarantee they'll do one. v5 was in beta for the better part of a year though...
Old 09-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
foxAsteria

I was so sure it was gonna be around last xmass... It was already up to 5.9x at that time...
Old 09-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #8
drichard

According to the license agreement, (at least the way I read it) you are fully licensed through v6.99 if you purchased recently. I am too, and I bought my license a couple of years ago. Based on the fact that they do small version number changes regularly, and full version number very rarely, you are probably going to have a current license for another year or two. Best bargain in Pro Audio, hands down. I've already been current two years, and will probably remain so for another year or two. Amazing. I sure won't complain when my license expires and I need to renew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
Yeah, I bit the bullet and bought Reaper a couple weeks ago. Of course they give you an extra version with your license, but I was initially wondering if I'd be buying a license for 5.x and 6 would be due out right away. Of course, these nice developers at Cockos give you a heck of a long life out of your license though! Will probably be at least a few years before I'm looking at a new license again.

Here's one of the Reaper 6 discussion threads that you might want to pop in and check out. There's some speculation and other talk in there: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=197730
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
According to the license agreement, (at least the way I read it) you are fully licensed through v6.99 if you purchased recently. I am too, and I bought my license a couple of years ago. Based on the fact that they do small version number changes regularly, and full version number very rarely, you are probably going to have a current license for another year or two. Best bargain in Pro Audio, hands down. I've already been current two years, and will probably remain so for another year or two. Amazing. I sure won't complain when my license expires and I need to renew.
Yeah, I meant to say that in my post, but I see I didn't. lol But that was actually what motivated me to buy.. that I'd get my license until the end of version 6. Version 5 has been around for 4 years now, so I'd guess that my license will last me at least 2 years.. likely 3+. Good by me! And plus, it's nicely priced that I'm fine if they release version 7 in record time too.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #10
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
You are probably going to have a current license for another year or two. Best bargain in Pro Audio, hands down. I've already been current two years, and will probably remain so for another year or two. Amazing. I sure won't complain when my license expires and I need to renew.
Code:
v5.0 - August 12 2015
v4.0 - August 3 2011
v3.0 - May 22 2009
v2.001 - October 12 2007
A year or two? Based on my incredibly rigorous calculations (that is, putting the previous releases into a Google Sheets chart and seeing how the curve looks), they'd be on track if v6 came out in February 2021 and v7 in mid-2028. :P
Old 09-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #11
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Code:
v5.0 - August 12 2015
v4.0 - August 3 2011
v3.0 - May 22 2009
v2.001 - October 12 2007
A year or two? Based on my incredibly rigorous calculations (that is, putting the previous releases into a Google Sheets chart and seeing how the curve looks), they'd be on track if v6 came out in February 2021 and v7 in mid-2028. :P
Based on those timeframes that makes Reaper essential free. Wow, I spend more on dog treats.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #12
foxAsteria

Odd how that timeframe gets longer each full version. All they have to do to make money is change the number in front but they're like, "Nah, we're good for now."
Old 09-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #13
hopi

oh yes, I can assure exactly:

Ver. 6 will most definitely be out between today and the end of time...

....and I for one, can't stand the wait... how can I make any music with this old version?
Old 09-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #14
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Based on my incredibly rigorous calculations ...
The time difference obviously is according to an exponential rule.

This of course makes perfect sense. When the complexity of a thing grows by some factor with each version, adding more complexity of the same amount will produce steps of effort according to a constant factor. And if the resources to do this stay constant this will result in an exponential slow down of the "outer" steps.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-11-2019 at 10:17 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #15
grinder

And of course the version you use legitimately today and the versions that go up until you need to re-purchase again remain yours legitimately forever
and you can use them forever!

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:45 PM   #16
fred garvin

I would actually like to reup Reaper now, just do it now and be squared away through v7 ten years from now or whatever. Is that an option? Just buy another license and tack it on to my current one?
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #17
Valle

I've said it before: June.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #18
vanceen

One of the things that I like about Reaper is they don't push out an annual version change just because. Other DAW makers put out new "versions" with very minor changes, a couple of effects/sofsynths or even just a bundle of loops, and you get to pay for that every year.
vanceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:01 AM   #19
C-H

After v5.99x
Old 09-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #20
BobbyS

what is the big change or addition people are expecting with v.6 that they keep asking when it will be out?
BobbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #21
mschnell

An ongoing mystery

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #22
woogish

yup.......
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:20 PM   #23
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyS View Post
what is the big change or addition people are expecting with v.6 that they keep asking when it will be out?
It goes to 11
talustalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:33 AM   #24
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post
It goes to 11
I believe this is planned for v.10.x, though.

Which will land aproximately in the 22nd century, following Lokasenna‘s theorem.

Last edited by gofer; 09-15-2019 at 01:39 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #25
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyS View Post
Dude, the new splash screen is going to completely revolutionize home audio recording forever!!!