Old 08-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
DruMunkey
Human being with feelings

Default Audio meter with midi output? (weird?)

I'm looking to send audio level information to an external midi controller (i.e. control its LED's).

I see all these JS plugins that have meters on the left & right but they don't appear to be exposed as sliders, etc. that I can expose/send as midi CC data?

Any chance someone knows of a script or plugin that will take signal level, convert it to CC so i can send it out?
DruMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:09 PM   #2
mschnell

Seems like rather easily doable. (Even though the meters you mention are just a Reaper feature and not accessible to the JSFX plugin itself.)
- I suppose it would make sense to define a min delay between two CC messages to be sent out to avoid overloading the midi stream.
- I suppose the CC values should be in a log scale (dB).
- I suppose it might be a viable option to alow high resolution Midi CCs to be sent.

I think you should post the request in the scripting forum.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-15-2017 at 09:19 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:09 AM   #3
nofish

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=20952

There's also this, free but 32 bit only:
http://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=AudioToCC

commercial:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Product...DPeakMeterPro/
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
For this application you can probably ignore all of the discussion regarding routing (especially MIDIYoke) and mapping to faders. Just stick it on there, add a MIDI Hardware send, and rock.

For folks looking to control things inside Reaper, just use Reaper's internal routing. The thread ends with mention of the MIDItoControlPath plug, but we're six years down the road now, and for most things you don't even need that. MtCP is necessary if you want to control mixer elements, transport, or fire of actions - things that can only be reached from the Control Path itself.

If you're feeding the CCs to a synth plug, a lot of times they are hardcoded to respond to certain CCs natively, so you literally just send it to the synth the same way you send notes to tell it to play.

Other plugs (synth or otherwise) have their own controller management system. It might let you tell it which CCs control which parameters. These are basically the same as the above. Just send MIDI to the track and it'll work once you figure out where they hid those settings.

But then a lot of plugins just don't natively respond to any CCs at all. For those, as of sometime in the last...couple???...years we now have MIDI Link in with Parameter Modulation. And again, you really just send MIDI to the track, set up ML, and go.

Link is not Learn. Link follows MIDI messages routed through the track itself. Learn follows the Control Path. For most things we do, I think Link is much better because it's discrete, we can send exactly where we want it rather than spamming the whole system, so we have less worry about conflicts. And believe me, if you use the Control Path a lot without a good solid plan, you'll end up with conflicts.

I know this doesn't apply to the OP, and maybe should have gone in that other thread, but I feel like the OP here is answered, and the actual thread title is open enough that folks poking in here might find my rant useful, so....

Edit - but then again, for most things we do, it's probably easier to use PM to follow the audio signal directly and skip the CC step... :/
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote