Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-12-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
inarisound
Human being with feelings

Default Separate controller for switching articulations in Kontakt

Hello everyone! Sorry for such a long question

I have a keyboard and a launchpad that would be really useful if I can use it for switching articulations in Kontakt library...

I am trying to assign my launchpad controller to switch articulations in Spitfire Albion V library.... but I don't know the workaround sending the same midi information from launchpad and my keyboard.

Example of a problem: When I press a pad on launchpad it would be D6 therefore it would play a note from kontakt and switch articulation...

What would be the best way to map a separate controller device like launchpad so it would not share midi signals with keyboard but at the same time work as a "articulation switcher"

Any help would be much appreciated!

sincerely yours,
inari
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
mschnell

In fact I don't exactly understand what you are up to. Is this for live playing (which I do a lot) or for midi composing (which I am not knowledgeable with) ?

What exactly does the "lauchpad" send (e.g. Midi event (such as key press or CC), channel and interface) ?

How is the "articulation" controlled ( Midi event (such as key press or CC), and channel, toggle, "while pressed" or alternate switch, maybe additional VST parameter ) ?

Regarding live playing, there are lot's of plugins that can be used in an FX chain that handle midi events in any possible way. If you don't find an appropriate functionality, it can be done using JSFX programming.

E.g., in my Reaper-Live-setup I use SWS LiveConfigs to switch the "general" patch of the project, and regarding Kontakt I have LiveConfigs switch the setup for a very simple JSFX I made that as a result sends out a program change midi event to Kontakt that now switches the patch using one or more loaded sound collections.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-12-2017 at 11:24 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
inarisound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
In fact I don't exactly understand what you are up to. Is this for live playing (which I do a lot) or for midi composing (which I am not knowledgeable with) ?

What exactly does the "lauchpad" send (e.g. Midi event (such as key press or CC), channel and interface) ?

How is the "articulation" controlled ( Midi event (such as key press or CC), and channel, toggle, "while pressed" or alternate switch, maybe additional VST parameter ) ?

Regarding live playing, there are lot's of plugins that can be used in an FX chain that handle midi events in any possible way. If you don't find an appropriate functionality, it can be done using JSFX programming.

E.g., in my Reaper-Live-setup I use SWS LiveConfigs to switch the "general" patch of the project, and regarding Kontakt I have LiveConfigs switch the setup for a very simple JSFX I made that as a result sends out a program change midi event to Kontakt that now switches the patch using one or more loaded sound collections.

-Michael

Michael, I see you on the forum pretty often, want to thank you for helping people out!

I think I found the solution that one wise gentlemen introduced in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVupAmyIDS

But to restate my question... I wanted to use two midi devices (that send midi information) and so that one midi device would not interfere with another....

In my case it was Keyboard and Launchpad that looks like this

I wanted to use it as a articulation switcher for Kontakt Library that I've mentioned before.... but unfortunately if I map it to pads it would also play notes because it would send cc that is in range of notes.... sorry it's hard to explain but really simple if you see it xD

Anyway.... I think I will bail on this idea because not easy to execute with not much reward.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarisound View Post
Michael, I see you on the forum pretty often, want to thank you for helping people out!
In fact, without the help from these forums, I would not have been able to create the setup I very happily use everyday for practicing and on stage. So I think it's decent to try to give something back, if possible.

I really like to push the idea of Reaper used as a live tool, as it is extremely versatile but greatly underestimated in that area.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-13-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:22 PM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
it would send cc that is in range of notes....
Seemingly you are trapped in some misconception, as there is no "overlapping range" between CCs and notes. You need to find out what the pad in fact sends and the set up a decent translation using appropriate plugins.

Maybe you can post a list of the midi events the pad sends for any action and the ones you want to send to the VST instrument.

I suppose that the pad also can be configured to send certaiun midi events.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-13-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
inarisound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Seemingly you are trapped in some misconception, as there is no "overlapping range" between CCs and notes. You need to find out what the pad in fact sends and the set up a decent translation using appropriate plugins.

Maybe you can post a list of the midi events the pad sends for any action and the ones you want to send to the VST instrument.

I suppose that the pad also can be configured to send certaiun midi events.

-Michael

Thank you one more time Michael!

I totally agree that Reaper have a great ability to be used as a live performance tool, I've been using Ableton, Pro Tools and many other "popular" DAWs and none of them gave me that much freedom as Reaper dose.

One of the underestimated features in Reaper for live performance that I found (in terms of looping and finding out tempo in less than a min is "Measure from time selection" option.... I love it so much... since I am not a drummer I can't find tempo pretty easily on my own... that feature helped me so much for DJing and preparing my set

Sorry that was off topic,

I found an option that I can use with other plugins to switch parameters withought playing any notes... the answer was simple....

In preferences you have to enable only - "Control only" for your device that you want to map to something and not send any notes.

So I kinda found solution for 70% of my tasks but unfortunately only in kontakt I dose not have ability to map "switch articulations:.... Learn button dose not work on a library

If you can give me some links to read about Channels and how to set up controller to send 1-16 channels to the instrument... I think the answer lies there

Old 08-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
how to set up controller to send 1-16 channels to the instrument
That should be explained in the controller's user manual.

I understand that articulation switching in Kontakt is done by the scripting that comes with the library. Hence if it can't be done by the CCs you controller sends, the library is "to be blamed".

If the library provider is not inclined to help, one option might be to modify the Kontakt script in the library, but I suppose this is no a very attractive option .

Another option is to find or do a JSFX that converts exactly the CCs you want to use in exactly the note on/off (maybe with respect to velocity) events the library want to see for switching the articulation. (In fact I do have a plugin (not Kontakt based) that switches certain articulations with note-off and others differently with respect to note-on-velocity.)

You should post a question fo such a JSFX tn the scripting forum.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-14-2017 at 10:33 PM.