Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-08-2018, 04:13 AM   #801
todd_r
Human being with feelings

Or drag and drop?
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:21 AM   #802
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Ah, I see. They have to actually be in the project. Would it be possible for it to work from the media browser or project bay?
Quote:
Or drag and drop?
Possible to implement, yes Maybe coming in a future version. Right now the workaround is to first drag the items into REAPER's arrangement view (all items at once). They will be selected after that, so all you have to do is click "Fill column-wise with selected items" and they will be in Playtime.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #803
ThrashJazzAssassin

When I try to record on a track containing a > character or a " character (and I assume a lot of other characters) I get this error:

Old 06-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #804
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashJazzAssassin View Post
When I try to record on a track containing a > character or a " character (and I assume a lot of other characters) I get this error:
Good catch, thanks. Will look into it.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #805
Rozzwellian

After a long time lurking here, I finally registered to say thank you for making Playtime. Thank you helgoboss! I bought Playtime yesterday. You should be proud that you have created something that helps to enable creativity.

For those of you who use Playtime with a Launchpad, is it possible to use the Launchpad as a sequencer and instrument whilst using Playtime?
Could I use a Launchpad to play in notes while controlling clips with the Launchpad?

I have tried searching for information in the manual and online but I cannot find an answer.

Yesterday, I made a (rough) Lemur interface and I can see that'd I'd prefer using a Launchpad, especially if it displays what sequences are playing etc.
Rozzwellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #806
Michael AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozzwellian View Post

For those of you who use Playtime with a Launchpad, is it possible to use the Launchpad as a sequencer and instrument whilst using Playtime?
Could I use a Launchpad to play in notes while controlling clips with the Launchpad?
I'm not doing that exactly, but there are probably lots of ways to use Playtime. I use a Launchpad Pro set up for Playtime and a Novation Launchkey keyboard for playing leads. The Launchpad is configured with 64 clips that play backing - I just tap pads with my right hand while my left hand is playing the keyboard. Sometimes I let the Launchpad keep playing for a bit which allows me to use both hands on the keyboard - left hand on the mod & pitch wheels, and my right hand can take over the leads.

You just have to make sure to set your MIDI so that the controllers are on their own specific channel.

I will try your concept this weekend and see if it will work - just the Launchpad playing both clips and lead... never considered it before...
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:06 AM   #807
ThrashJazzAssassin

Hey. Just wanted to point out that HeDaMixer is a really nice companion to Playtime if you dock them both to the side, set the track width in HeDaMixer to 105px and uncheck Playtime's detail view

Old 06-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #808
todd_r

Quote:
Hey. Just wanted to point out that HeDaMixer is a really nice companion to Playtime if you dock them both to the side, set the track width in HeDaMixer to 105px and uncheck Playtime's detail view

That looks amazing does it actually give any benefits, or just look cool?
Old 06-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #809
Rozzwellian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
I'm not doing that exactly, but there are probably lots of ways to use Playtime. I use a Launchpad Pro set up for Playtime and a Novation Launchkey keyboard for playing leads. The Launchpad is configured with 64 clips that play backing - I just tap pads with my right hand while my left hand is playing the keyboard. Sometimes I let the Launchpad keep playing for a bit which allows me to use both hands on the keyboard - left hand on the mod & pitch wheels, and my right hand can take over the leads.
Thanks for the reply. I've looked at the manual for the Launchpad Pro and the functionality I wrote about works with Live, but I have no idea how much functionality is retained when using the Launchpad with REAPER. I'm guessing that with REAPER, it's still possible to switch between the 'session' and 'note' mode.

Before Playtime, I was thinking about buying a Beatstep Pro to sequence plugins, but now I'm really warming to the Launchpad Pro.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #810
Rozzwellian

Quote:
Hi, how do you have more than 64 slots? What is that blue square next to preferences? As far as I can tell, I don't have those options and more than 64 slots is not mentioned in the manual.

HeDaMixer looks cool by the way. I'm just about to check out your scripts.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #811
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
That looks amazing does it actually give any benefits, or just look cool?
Looks cool and is pretty useful too

Quote:
Hi, how do you have more than 64 slots? What is that blue square next to preferences? As far as I can tell, I don't have those options and more than 64 slots is not mentioned in the manual.
https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/p...enes-or-groups

Quote:
HeDaMixer looks cool by the way. I'm just about to check out your scripts.
Nice one. Heda scripts not mine btw
Old 06-16-2018, 11:44 PM   #812
Rozzwellian

Quote:
Looks cool and is pretty useful too

https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/p...enes-or-groups

Nice one. Heda scripts not mine btw
Thanks. Not sure how I missed that. My excuse for not finding this information in the manual, is that I was searching for 'add scene'or add 'group' :-)

I was actually experiencing some type of bug, which I cannot reproduce. I had already tried right-clicking the Group and Scene headers (just to check what options were possible) but there were no options for inserting. In general. I tried following the instructions in the manual but there were no options to insert. I had been just using the Playtime project template,but when I added Playtime as a new instrument track to the project template, the options to insert were suddenly there, on the new track and one I had been using.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #813
lilith93

Is it planned to port this to linux someday?
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:08 AM   #814
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
Is it planned to port this to linux someday?
Some day yes, I use REAPER on Linux as well and wish it had Playtime. But I'm currently not working on it and can't name any due date. Definitely not this year.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:35 AM   #815
todd_r

Quote:
Hmm I can't get it to dock like that, am I missing something?
Old 06-24-2018, 02:30 PM   #816
todd_r

OK, finally figured it out, Ctrl + Drag
Old 06-25-2018, 02:56 AM   #817
todd_r

Hi Helgoboss,

I have a bug with Playtime. If I play a scene from scratch, no audio already playing, the sounds starts, drops out briefly then starts up again. Playing scene's when there's already audio playing or playing a singe slot form scratch all work fine.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #818
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Hi Helgoboss,

I have a bug with Playtime. If I play a scene from scratch, no audio already playing, the sounds starts, drops out briefly then starts up again. Playing scene's when there's already audio playing or playing a singe slot form scratch all work fine.
Do you have reaper's 'smooth seeking' enabled?
Old 06-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #819
todd_r

Quote:
Do you have reaper's 'smooth seeking' enabled?
Nope should it be?
Old 06-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #820
ThrashJazzAssassin

No. Just a hunch
Old 06-26-2018, 02:25 AM   #821
helgoboss

Quote:
Hi Helgoboss,

Can't reproduce it so far. Maybe I can if you send me your RPP file, REAPER.ini and version info (REAPER, Playtime, operating system) to info@helgoboss.org.

Benjamin
Old 06-26-2018, 03:28 AM   #822
todd_r

Its more likely to happen the more items that start at once, thanks for looking but I think its just issues with my hard drive
Old 06-26-2018, 04:15 AM   #823
helgoboss

Quote:
Its more likely to happen the more items that start at once, thanks for looking but I think its just issues with my hard drive
Oh I see. There's something you can try. Playtime by default disables media buffering and anticipative FX for the tracks containing the clips. You can disable that behavior. I never had to do that so far but maybe it helps in your case:

1. Open Playtime
2. Click on "Preferences"
3. Switch "Prevent media buffering" to "Off"
4. Switch "Prevent anticipative FX" to "Off"

But this applies only to future usage of Playtime, so you still need to turn media buffering and anticipative FX on for tracks which have been already controlled by Playtime. So for each track containing clips, do the following:

1. Right click the track header => Track performance options => Allow media buffering
2. Right click the track header => Track performance options => Allow anticipative FX

Check if the audio dropout is gone. However, there might be unwanted side effects like clips that start playing too late because REAPER is still buffering them. This effect you can minimize by playing around with REAPER "Preferences => Audio => Buffering => Media buffer size" and "Render-ahead" respectively.

By the way, do you start playing the scene while REAPER transport is playing or while it is stopped?
Old 07-01-2018, 03:48 AM   #824
todd_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Oh I see. There's something you can try. Playtime by default disables media buffering and anticipative FX for the tracks containing the clips. You can disable that behavior. I never had to do that so far but maybe it helps in your case:

1. Open Playtime
2. Click on "Preferences"
3. Switch "Prevent media buffering" to "Off"
4. Switch "Prevent anticipative FX" to "Off"

But this applies only to future usage of Playtime, so you still need to turn media buffering and anticipative FX on for tracks which have been already controlled by Playtime. So for each track containing clips, do the following:

1. Right click the track header => Track performance options => Allow media buffering
2. Right click the track header => Track performance options => Allow anticipative FX

Check if the audio dropout is gone. However, there might be unwanted side effects like clips that start playing too late because REAPER is still buffering them. This effect you can minimize by playing around with REAPER "Preferences => Audio => Buffering => Media buffer size" and "Render-ahead" respectively.

By the way, do you start playing the scene while REAPER transport is playing or while it is stopped?
Thanks Helgoboss, I switched to WASAPI from ASIO and that seems to have done the trick. Getting the 100% disk usage problems that seems to plague Win 8, think that's the main issue. If i have problems again I'll give it a whirl though.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:50 AM   #825
todd_r

Can you remember the setting for it to be docked, so its always docked at startup?
Old 07-03-2018, 06:01 AM   #826
helgoboss

Quote:
Can you remember the setting for it to be docked, so its always docked at startup?
The docked state (right click on background => Docked) is saved together with the particular plugin instance. So if Playtime was docked when you saved the project and you load the project again, Playtime should already be docked. If you want it to be docked when loading the "Playtime" track template, you need to overwrite the "Playtime" track template accordingly (or save it as your custom track template - better because updates won't overwrite it).
Old 07-03-2018, 06:20 AM   #827
todd_r

Quote:
The docked state (right click on background => Docked) is saved together with the particular plugin instance. So if Playtime was docked when you saved the project and you load the project again, Playtime should already be docked. If you want it to be docked when loading the "Playtime" track template, you need to overwrite the "Playtime" track template accordingly (or save it as your custom track template - better because updates won't overwrite it).
Brilliant thanks, yep I'll re-save the template
Old 07-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #828
toxizz

Default Playtime - Clear all media at once

Hello guys! Sorry if i'm not posting at the right place or interrupting with unrelated to your convo.

Just quickly wondering if there's a way to clear all media at once? lets say your working on ideas and want to quickly try stuff, start over, etc. I'd map that to a controller button.
toxizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #829
toxizz

Another question: how do you guys go about doing undo/redo function "within" playtime. I'd like to be able to delete clips that i've just recorded and messed up in reverse order (Ctrl-z), though the Ctrl-Z seems to don't take playtime in consideration and immediatly jumps to "Repear related action" that i've done (like switching tracks before starting my recording).

Right now, my only option is to manually delete clips with my mouse/keyboard which is kind of a bummer for a live performance setup!

Any input's appreciate
Old 07-05-2018, 02:42 AM   #830
ThrashJazzAssassin

Looks like undo is being worked on
https://bitbucket.org/helgoboss/play...le-undo-issues
Old 07-05-2018, 02:57 AM   #831
helgoboss

Quote:
Yes, I've implemented a custom undo system for Playtime that works without interrupting playback and messing things up sometimes. Not every little thing which you do in Playtime will be undoable that way. So far I think I've included all operations that are difficult to undo without an undo function. @toxizz Recording a clip will be undoable that way.

Will be in upcoming release.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:42 AM   #832
creatorzprod

It looks like a great feature! What interests me is how do you actively use it in productions? Are there any special scenarios where you use playtime most?
creatorzprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:18 AM   #833
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
It works GREAT with my Launchpad Pro. And I have no problem with the way it looks.

And I see nothing in its design that hinders its use.
I am interested in Playtime and have a Launchpad Pro too.
Is it so, that I get visual feedback on the Launchpad for Clips playing, loaded and so on?

Could you be so kind to post a picture?

Thank´s in advance.
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #834
Michael AD

Yes, you get visual feedback with the Launchpad Pro. If a clip is loaded the pad is lit and shows a white color... if I hit a pad it turns green and plays... if I hit a green pad it stops playing and turns back to white. If there is no clip loaded for a pad it is dark.

I usually pre-load all 64 clips and save them as a project.

Not that it really matters, but my usual method for using Playtime is to use each column for a particular sound category - the first column is usually the basses, 2nd is guitars, 3rd is keys, etc. I can then type a category name that shows on the computer screen at the top of each column in the Playtime VST.

BTW, why not try out the trial version and check it out? If you like I would be glad to post the Playtime settings I use so you can set up your Launchpad Pro.

Last edited by Michael AD; 07-12-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #835
TheWhistler

Thank´s for your reply.
So you get just 2 colors or none. That is enough for organzing sessions.
I have a live scenario in mind in which I want to trigger premade clips and arrange a track.

I had the trial once but did not get my head around it (some years ago).
I will give it another shot, the idea of using Reaper (which I love) as a looper/clip-player is intriguing me.

BTW: Is it possible to add clips and loop them on the fly?
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #836
toxizz

@The whistler - That's also my bread and butter - I'm aiming to use it as live recording looper the way it is powerfully used in ableton. It doesnt have yet all the features Ableton has but we're getting there! Thanks to helgo's continuos work!
I don't know if by "add" you meant recording them but the later is possible so i'm guessing you should be able to add pre-recorded clip aswell.

Last edited by toxizz; 07-14-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #837
toxizz

Default Overdub mode

I don't know if anyone of you outhere has been using the overdub function but here's an issue i've posted on bitbucket for a future release.

Some of you may have a workaround for this? Or you it could benefit you aswell, let me know what you think : https://bitbucket.org/helgoboss/play...ton-for-global
__________________________________________________ __________________________
Here's an ableton REALLY useful feature for live performances (I think it would be pretty easy to recreate in Playtime).

here's the workflow

1) On controller #1 (like a launchpad), press an empty pad to start recording on it

2) Hands switch over to controller #2 (keyboard) to play music

3)Map a "global overdub button" to a key/button/pad on controller #2, that way you can easily (without moving hands too much) close the loop and start overdubbing on it

4)Press the Overdub button again to go back on Play mode.

Simple but AWESOME **for not having to rush back to controller #1** (the initial pad you pressed), and miss a beat or accidently press the neighboor pad for going to fast.

That way, you then have 2 ways to "close" your recording loop.

P.S. I saw in the parameter list theres an "overdub last selected clip"- I tried mapping it to something (it did work, altough a button lighting up in the interface when actiaved would be better - kinda like the "Write" button turning red. You could have a different colors for both )

Aside from button, the behavior with this o"verdub last selected" isn't tailored for live use yet, here's why :

a) First press on mapped button = stops playback (Playback would need to keep going)
b) 2nd press = highlights a region (lenght of the selected item/clip) and start looping within the selected region.

but say you have a 2 bar on piano track playing ( Am - Em ) - You want to overdub on your 1 bar drum Clip ... ooops :P you say where i'm going ----) Your beautiful piano chord progression stays on the Am and your live performance is messed up!

Oof I said it Should be easy to recreate that but looking back it may be a challenge ^.^
Old 07-15-2018, 03:53 AM   #838
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxizz View Post
Here's an ableton REALLY useful feature for live performances (I think it would be pretty easy to recreate in Playtime).

here's the workflow

1) On controller #1 (like a launchpad), press an empty pad to start recording on it

2) Hands switch over to controller #2 (keyboard) to play music

3)Map a "global overdub button" to a key/button/pad on controller #2, that way you can easily (without moving hands too much) close the loop and start overdubbing on it

4)Press the Overdub button again to go back on Play mode.

Simple but AWESOME **for not having to rush back to controller #1** (the initial pad you pressed), and miss a beat or accidently press the neighboor pad for going to fast.

That way, you then have 2 ways to "close" your recording loop.

P.S. I saw in the parameter list theres an "overdub last selected clip"- I tried mapping it to something (it did work, altough a button lighting up in the interface when actiaved would be better - kinda like the "Write" button turning red. You could have a different colors for both )
I'm with you on this. Got myself a few times into the situation that I wanted to trigger a clip recording stop while still playing on the keyboard ... which made me wish I had 3 hands. So I was already thinking about introducing a "global record stop" parameter that I can map to a button (for example to a foot switch or a special key on the keyboard). To enrich this feature with the possibility to MIDI overdub the recorded clip until pressing the button again sounds nice. Do you happen to know what's the name of that feature in Ableton Live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxizz View Post
Aside from button, the behavior with this o"verdub last selected" isn't tailored for live use yet, here's why :

a) First press on mapped button = stops playback (Playback would need to keep going)
b) 2nd press = highlights a region (lenght of the selected item/clip) and start looping within the selected region.

but say you have a 2 bar on piano track playing ( Am - Em ) - You want to overdub on your 1 bar drum Clip ... ooops :P you say where i'm going ----) Your beautiful piano chord progression stays on the Am and your live performance is messed up!
You're right about this. MIDI overdub is really not intended to be used live right now. At the time I implented MIDI overdub, it was not really feasible to tailor it for live use. But a lot of stuff has happened in the meantime. Playtime doesn't use REAPER's recording function anymore but its own. Which brings a lot of advantages, like for example a real live MIDI overdub seems quite possible and feasible now. I'm planning to implement this as one of the next features.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #839
toxizz

Quote:
I'm with you on this. Got myself a few times into the situation that I wanted to trigger a clip recording stop while still playing on the keyboard ... which made me wish I had 3 hands. So I was already thinking about introducing a "global record stop" parameter that I can map to a button (for example to a foot switch or a special key on the keyboard). To enrich this feature with the possibility to MIDI overdub the recorded clip until pressing the button again sounds nice. Do you happen to know what's the name of that feature in Ableton Live?

You're right about this. MIDI overdub is really not intended to be used live right now. At the time I implented MIDI overdub, it was not really feasible to tailor it for live use. But a lot of stuff has happened in the meantime. Playtime doesn't use REAPER's recording function anymore but its own. Which brings a lot of advantages, like for example a real live MIDI overdub seems quite possible and feasible now. I'm planning to implement this as one of the next features.
WoooOOOOuhhhhhOuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu !!!!!!!!!!!!
As far as the name of the feature, I'm not sure if they call it like that in the manual but in live, the info bar calls it the : Session record button

see screen shot : https://ibb.co/kKECMo

Thanks again!
Old 07-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #840
todd_r

Hi Helgoboss, I've moved to a new PC after the old one died. Where can I get my license file?

Thanks