Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #161
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by klankschap View Post
on linux ubuntu, reaper (v5.50) will still crash when enabling the python script support.
i've have python 3.6.2 from the anaconda distribution.

Is there a work around?

.Floris
Maybe try to install python2 too? I have both p2 & p3 installed and reaper picks p2.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #162
klankschap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Maybe try to install python2 too? I have both p2 & p3 installed and reaper picks p2.
That did not help.
i tried py27 within anaconda.
if python enabled, it crashes as soon as you want to pick a script.

.F
klankschap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #163
cern.th.skei

not sure if here and now is the best time for reporting linux bugs, but.. if i change the default pitch shifter mode (for example, to elastique 3.2.3 efficient) in projet settings (and click save as default project settings), it won't 'stick'.. next time reaper starts, it's back to soundtouch..

(latest v5.50 from lol, 64bit)

- tor-helge
Old 09-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #164
eric71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cern.th.skei View Post
not sure if here and now is the best time for reporting linux bugs, but.. if i change the default pitch shifter mode (for example, to elastique 3.2.3 efficient) in projet settings (and click save as default project settings), it won't 'stick'.. next time reaper starts, it's back to soundtouch..

(latest v5.50 from lol, 64bit)

- tor-helge
I just checked on my system - 64 bit Mint KDE, and elastique 3.2.3 Pro seems to stick after saving as the default project setting, closing Reaper and restarting. I will play with some other settings and see if it is consistent, but it seems to work ok here.
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #165
cern.th.skei

i just tried to fully reinstall reaper, including getting rid of the .REAPER directory in my home folder (after backing it up).. and now it seems to work :-/ some .ini files setting messing up, maybe..

- tor-helge
Old 09-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #166
klankschap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cern.th.skei View Post
i just tried to fully reinstall reaper, including getting rid of the .REAPER directory in my home folder (after backing it up).. and now it seems to work :-/ some .ini files setting messing up, maybe..

- tor-helge
the resetting by removing the .REAPER folder did not solve the python issue...
Anyone in for a good hint ?

.F
Old 09-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #167
Jack Winter

Maybe it's broken, what script?

Don't think this has been much tested, but I did run some script when I was working on the sws port.

Long live lua
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 09-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #168
klankschap

Quote:
Maybe it's broken, what script?
the crash occurs before a script can be selected.

but a work around is to select the local python installation.
that seems to work as intended.
e.g. use
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpython3.5m.so

so apparently there is a mismatch with native installed python and the anaconda version that does not work
e.g.
~/anaconda/lib/libpython3.6m.so
~/anaconda/lib/libpython3.so

.F
Old 09-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #169
reddiesel41264

Is there a way to get Linux Reaper to recognise my MIDI keyboard without JACK installed?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:31 AM   #170
X2theL

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
Is there a way to get Linux Reaper to recognise my MIDI keyboard without JACK installed?
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph...ips_and_tricks says that Alsa MIDI is not (yet) supported. So, you need jack and a2jmidid.
X2theL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:37 AM   #171
X2theL

Default sws doesn't work for me

I've built reaper_sws64.so as described here: https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/wi...-SWS-Extension and put it in .REAPER/Plugins, but Reaper doesn't seem to pick it up. There is no menu item and no sws actions.

I have the latest reaper 5.60pre1 from AUR installed.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:49 AM   #172
avoca

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2theL View Post
I've built reaper_sws64.so as described here: https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/wi...-SWS-Extension and put it in .REAPER/Plugins, but Reaper doesn't seem to pick it up. There is no menu item and no sws actions.

I have the latest reaper 5.60pre1 from AUR installed.
Hi X2theL,

I have it in ~/.REAPER/UserPlugins . It works for me when it is in that directory

avoca
avoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:26 AM   #173
X2theL

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoca View Post
Hi X2theL,

I have it in ~/.REAPER/UserPlugins . It works for me when it is in that directory

avoca
Hm, still not working with either symlink or actual file. I guess there are Reaper logs somewhere? Will search for them tonight.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:31 AM   #174
Jack Winter

Quote:
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph...ips_and_tricks says that Alsa MIDI is not (yet) supported. So, you need jack and a2jmidid.
That is true for jack2, but jack1 has it included as an internal client.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:44 AM   #175
Jack Winter

Quote:
Hm, still not working with either symlink or actual file. I guess there are Reaper logs somewhere? Will search for them tonight.
FWIW, mine is symlinked into ~/.REAPER/UserPlugins. Don't think there is anything like a reaper log per se, but you can run it from the command line to see if it complains about something.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #176
X2theL

Quote:
FWIW, mine is symlinked into ~/.REAPER/UserPlugins. Don't think there is anything like a reaper log per se, but you can run it from the command line to see if it complains about something.
Stupid me had forgotten to checkout next branch. Now the extensions menu shows up. Next I'm going to check available Linux vsts. Exciting! There might be another Mac Mini on Ebay in a few weeks :-)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #177
Jack Winter

Quote:
Stupid me had forgotten to checkout next branch. Now the extensions menu shows up. Next I'm going to check available Linux vsts. Exciting! There might be another Mac Mini on Ebay in a few weeks :-)
Good man!

Please let me know if there are any that work well that I forgot in the wiki article.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:55 PM   #178
clepsydrae

Hey Jack -- maybe it'd be nice to add a link in the first post of this thread to the wiki article?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:31 AM   #179
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Hey Jack -- maybe it'd be nice to add a link in the first post of this thread to the wiki article?
Ok, Done. Wanted to do that already, simply forgot about it
Old 09-20-2017, 05:04 AM   #180
reddiesel41264

Quote:
That link isn't working, think there is a typo in it.

As a linux newb this part of the wiki confused me:

Quote:
User extensions

Install in ~/.REAPER/UserPlugins

SWS - binary builds here, build instructions here
ReaPack - download one of the .so files from: here, build instructions here.
I thought I had to download the binary and then follow the build instructions, once I got to the part about building the .so I had downloaded I realised my mistake. Might be nice to clarify that it's one or the other that's needed rather than both - will help beginners like me.

ReaPack doesn't show up in the extensions menu for me after copying the ReaPack binary to the UserPresets folder (SWS works). Any suggestions?
Old 09-20-2017, 05:17 AM   #181
MrHaroldA

There's a package for Arch Linux available: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/reaper/

It might be nice to add that to the Wiki page?
MrHaroldA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #182
clepsydrae

Quote:
Awesome, thanks!

Quote:
I thought I had to download the binary and then follow the build instructions,
Yeah, agreed; maybe:

Quote:
SWS - binary builds here, build instructions here (no need to build it yourself in most cases)
Ditto the ReaPack line? (Assuming it's the case.)

Thanks again for making it.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #183
Jack Winter

Quote:
That link isn't working, think there is a typo in it.

As a linux newb this part of the wiki confused me:

I thought I had to download the binary and then follow the build instructions, once I got to the part about building the .so I had downloaded I realised my mistake. Might be nice to clarify that it's one or the other that's needed rather than both - will help beginners like me.

ReaPack doesn't show up in the extensions menu for me after copying the ReaPack binary to the UserPresets folder (SWS works). Any suggestions?
That's a valid point, thank you for the feedback. I'll reword that.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #184
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHaroldA View Post
There's a package for Arch Linux available: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/reaper/

It might be nice to add that to the Wiki page?
I'll do that. Cockos prefers no packages until it's more official, but the Archlinux build script isn't a binary, rather it downloads from LoL and creates a package for installation. Still one's not supposed to link to LoL
Old 09-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #185
Jack Winter

Touched up the wiki abit. Hope it's better like this?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #186
clepsydrae

Quote:
Touched up the wiki abit. Hope it's better like this?
Thanks -- I know the article isn't pitched to total beginners, but still it might be nice to have a hint somewhere in that sentence. Maybe change

Quote:
Either download a binary run-time lib, or build it yourself from source. Install into ~/.REAPER/UserPlugins
to

Quote:
Either download a binary run-time lib (this is all most users need to do), or build it yourself from source. Install the .so file into ~/.REAPER/UserPlugins
?
Old 09-22-2017, 12:03 AM   #187
svoufff

For Arch : sws, linvst and lv2vst are also on Aur.
svoufff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:05 AM   #188
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svoufff View Post
For Arch : sws, linvst and lv2vst are also on Aur.
I am really not sure how much distro specific stuff to put in the wiki.. Supposedly Archlinux users are smart enough to check the AUR..? I'd also not want to push beginners in the direction of Archlinux by giving them the impression that it has packages for everything and would be the easier linux option...

Think I've seen the occasional deb package too, should I start linking those too? Soon other distros too?

Really not sure on which leg to stand here
Old 09-23-2017, 06:03 AM   #189
svoufff

Is the ArchAudio project still alive ?
Old 09-23-2017, 07:04 AM   #190
Jack Winter

Quote:
Is the ArchAudio project still alive ?
AFAIK, it's not anymore. There were never enough packagers, and I think even the repos are closed now. Seing that Archlinux has a mechanism for building user contributed packages, it seems there was no need nor interest in a binary repo.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #191
svoufff

Mmm ok.I contributed at the time to the 64 bits packaging but the whole project never took off.It's true AUR is enough in most cases.

About the wiki, I feel that maintaining a list of audio distro could be painful and a little out of place in the Reaper context.A quick reference to major audio distros could be enough, or a simple link to a site like this (this one is a reference for the french-speaking people) http://linuxmao.org/Distributions.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #192
Jack Winter

Quote:
Mmm ok.I contributed at the time to the 64 bits packaging but the whole project never took off.It's true AUR is enough in most cases.

About the wiki, I feel that maintaining a list of audio distro could be painful and a little out of place in the Reaper context.A quick reference to major audio distros could be enough, or a simple link to a site like this (this one is a reference for the french-speaking people) http://linuxmao.org/Distributions.
I was contributing stuff like linux-rt, wine-rt, wineasio, and some other stuff, but as there seemed to be no interest I removed it all and maintain it on the AUR instead.

Yes, I would like to keep the wiki reaper specific and avoid as much explicit distro information as possible.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #193
hmoller

Default Location Best Practice

Hi,
a very silly question, what is the best practice on where to leave reaper after untar? Currently I have it in ~/Downloads/REAPER I assume that's not the best practice. The answer could be added to Jack's Guide.

brgds
HPM
hmoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #194
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmoller View Post
Hi,
a very silly question, what is the best practice on where to leave reaper after untar? Currently I have it in ~/Downloads/REAPER I assume that's not the best practice. The answer could be added to Jack's Guide.

brgds
HPM
Others may chime in, but: it's not all that crucial. Since linux reaper installs are effectively "portable" installs (see my signature below), they are pretty tidy and safe wherever they live.

If you regularly back up your /home directory (aside: everyone knows that if you aren't backing your data up then you don't care if you lose it unexpectedly), then putting the reaper dir somewhere in /home makes some sense.

You could put it in /usr/bin or wherever else your distro deems appropriate for installed programs, but you'll need to use super-user privileges. I personally have a dedicated directory on a data drive that contains stuff like this: programs that are nicely self-contained and don't have installer programs to put them somewhere specific. (My favorite kind of software. :-) )

Upshot: reaper doesn't care, so it's up to you. No harm will come.

One thing to consider: some programs care about the kind of file system they live on, either by design or accidentally. I doubt it's the case with Reaper, but some linux software won't like being moved over to, e.g., an NTFS or FAT32 partition, which is something that sometimes needs to be considered by those of us that dual-boot windows and linux.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #195
svoufff

I have a problem with the french langpack where all the menus in the main window (except their titles and the SWS menu) are not translated.
https://imgur.com/a/Vg2hC
The rest is fine.
This happens with the Stash langpack as well as the Reapack install of translation.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:02 AM   #196
hmoller

perfect, thanks for the clarification
Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Others may chime in, but: it's not all that crucial. Since linux reaper installs are effectively "portable" installs (see my signature below), they are pretty tidy and safe wherever they live.

If you regularly back up your /home directory (aside: everyone knows that if you aren't backing your data up then you don't care if you lose it unexpectedly), then putting the reaper dir somewhere in /home makes some sense.

You could put it in /usr/bin or wherever else your distro deems appropriate for installed programs, but you'll need to use super-user privileges. I personally have a dedicated directory on a data drive that contains stuff like this: programs that are nicely self-contained and don't have installer programs to put them somewhere specific. (My favorite kind of software. :-) )

Upshot: reaper doesn't care, so it's up to you. No harm will come.

One thing to consider: some programs care about the kind of file system they live on, either by design or accidentally. I doubt it's the case with Reaper, but some linux software won't like being moved over to, e.g., an NTFS or FAT32 partition, which is something that sometimes needs to be considered by those of us that dual-boot windows and linux.
hmoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #197
cfillion

ShellExecute always returns false in SWELL's Linux implementation. The implementation for macOS returns true on success. (And the original Windows function returns a HINSTANCE > 32...)

Last edited by cfillion; 09-30-2017 at 10:55 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #198
jazznfunk

Default SWS on native linux

So, is there a relatively easy way to install SWS extensions for an native linux Reaper? I'm running linux Mint 18.2 BTW Sonic Anomaly JS plugins works well.
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #199
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznfunk View Post
So, is there a relatively easy way to install SWS extensions for an native linux Reaper? I'm running linux Mint 18.2 BTW Sonic Anomaly JS plugins works well.
1. Download the tarball for your platform from here: https://landoleet.org/dev/
2. Extract it with "tar xvf filename"
3. Copy the extracted .so file to ~/.REAPER/UserPlugins

ReaPack works the same way.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #200
jazznfunk

Thank You, Jack Winter very much! SWS extensions is super easy to install and these works well
Can't make appear ReaPack in Reaper nor with .dll or .dylib (both x64) files copied in /.REAPER/UserPlugins.
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote