Old 05-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
jnastic
Human being with feelings

Default Monitoring while jamming

Hi everyone.

I have a rock band that practices in a basement. The room is treated. I monitor with 2x BEHRINGER B212A and a KRK 10s subwoofer. There's only one mic in the studio.

We don't use amps, only amp sims and a E-drum. Right now, most of the sounds are in stereo (vocals, guitars, drums, synths, etc.).

I was wondering if it was better to send my guitar on one side, as if I was jamming with a regular amp, in order to reduce the overall volume entering the vocal mic, therefore, reducing feedback.

I used to have feedback problems, but with a few tips (EQing, mic positioning, headphone mix for the singer) from members of the forum, I managed to tame feedback in most situations. But still, we like to play loud and "feel" the music.

If you have more advice, please let me know!
jnastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
Philbo King

As far as panning, it's always a good idea to pan mono instruments out to one side or the other, except bass and vocals, which are best at center pan.

If mic bleed is your concern, you can get a lot of benefit from making one part of the room a 'dead corner' by hanging a few layers of moving blankets and point the mic into that corner and away from the speakers. This might also help reduce how much EQ is needed to prevent feedback. (This won't help if the feedback is bass freqs; it's pretty difficult to absorb bass. But you can probably cut the bass from the mic unless the vocal is heavy on bass.)

You can get moving blankets for a few bucks each at Harbor Freight (if you're in the US).

Last edited by Philbo King; 05-17-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
jnastic

Thanks for the info!
jnastic is offline   Reply With Quote