Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
Peach
Human being with feelings

Default Reaktor automation written in Reaper lags one value when controlled via OSC

I use Reaktor as a VST plug-in in Reaper, it works great. However, I found the following really unexpected (and not optimal!) behavior: when a parameter in Reaktor is automated and controlled via OSC through Reaper, then the value set in Reaper when recording automation, is not the latest value received, but the second latest value received.

To reproduce this is very easy:
- Create a new project, create a track and insert Reaktor as a VST plug-in
- Create a new ensemble and in that a new instrument
- Create a fader in the instrument
- Map an OSC address to the fader, e.g. in Reaper by 'MIDI/OSC Learn' such that '/fader1' controls the fader
- Write some automation by changing the fader value (with the mouse in the VST GUI) to 0 (In Reaper the envelope appears in below the track)
- Now send a value via OSC, e.g. '/fader1 0.5' and observe that the fader in the VST gui moves correctly to 0.5 and also the value seen on the knob in Reaper, however the value written to the Reaper automation lane is none this first time
- Now send '/fader1 0.8' and observe that the fader moves correctly to 0.8, however the value written to the DAW automation lane is 0.5, hence the previous value!

Somehow it seems that the value which gets to the Reaper automation lane is lagged (or shifted back) one step. I have no clue why this is happening.

I checked naturally, that this is not the case for other plug-ins in Reaper and I didn't find this lag for the other VST plug-ins I tried. Therefore I think it is something which happens in the way that Reaktor sends the value to Reaper for writing the automation, therefore I also reported this as a bug to NI.

Apart from this, Reaktor and Reaper plays very nicely together!

I don't think it is linked to any hardware.

Is it possible for anyone to reproduce this behaviour?

Reaper developers: is this an issue with Reaper or Reaktor?

Very best regards
Peder
Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Peach
Human being with feelings

Default Still not fixed, could developers please take a look at this

Did a short video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iJF...ew?usp=sharing

According to NI it is a Reaper problem, here is the answer I got from NI, they investigated the problem:

After speaking to our developers about this, it seems to be rather a problem in reaper, but not a Reaktor bug. For the following reasons:

generally the host should take care about what is being recorded in the automation lane

host should separate "automation" recording from recording of "remote midi data" somehow

usually automation is meant to be recorded when touching a GUI control of a plugin with your mouse

controlling this GUI control (fader) remotely should usually not record anything into an automation lane (but reapers seems to do this) it should record this as separate midi data

the issue reported seems to be a result of colliding information ... 1. "remote control" (MIDI information) and 2. "automation" (usually only mouse controlled information)

I suggest you forward this information to Reaper who will have to investigate the issue further. Sorry I cannot assist any further.
Peach is offline   Reply With Quote