Default Depressed musician required

I'm looking for musicians to record an album. Required:

- your instrument sounds good in your hands
- musical timing awareness
- ability to travel for one night recording session -- most likely Midlands, UK
- feeling bad more often than average western world citizen
- like to play in dim light
- at least 1-minute mp3 of your playing

I'm an experienced guitaist and not-so experienced but also a producer and studio engineer. And I can sing, yes, sometimes even successfully (able to create convincing message). However I prefer not to sing if not necessary. So looking for anyone interested, singing and/or playing: drums, bass, keys, guitar, trumpet, sax, violin, writing lyrics... [add your instrument here].
Mind, it's not about how fast you can play but rather how you can express your emotions. It's all about that subtle message...
My personal inspiration for this particular project (apart from my depressions) is the first King Crimson's album. Obviously I'm not looking for making a copy but it's a starting point for me. Mind, this is information about me, not about what has to be your inspiration. What we'll potentially create depends on who shows up in a room. Everyone sounds different, even on the same instrument. No commercial plans at the moment but they are not excluded. But the music must primarily sound good for us, not for Radio 1.

As this is focused on creating an album, not a band, 100% commitment is not required. I play in other bands and their gigs have the priority.

The plan is yet to be tweaked but has a few points so far to minimize time-wasting for everyone:

1) See who is interested
2) Make a short-list primarily based on musical abilities and also time/place flexibility *)
3) Jam/work on the couple of ideas in practice room if possible or remotely
4) Agree on recording date and place
5) Record an album during one night

What is not negotiable is that there will be 100% old-fashioned, live session with all of us playing together the core. However there will be further sessions available to tweak some solo parts if anything would need a change or adding. Especially vocals. Although vocalist has to be present during the main session anyway. Recording session would be partly improvised, depending on how far our ideas have developed before.

I wouldn't like to sound arrogant, in fact I'm really friendly bloke. BUT: from my good and bad experience there must be someone who organizes the whole thing and he or she has to be businesslike or the greatest idea dies like a flower in a desert. Therefore some points are negotiable, some are not and I reserve the rights for having the last word. It's very rare when democracy works during album production. Even if you see on album's cover 'Producer: Pink Floyd' you are not aware of all the tensions and status games behind the scene. Therefore I'm a producer which exactly means: we are democracy as long as we are all satisfied with what we just played. In case of any conflict, we try to compromise. If there's still a problem, I make the decision.

As for the expenses, to make it clear. I'm not connected with any record label and I'm not rich, ha ha! But I've got professional recording equipment. I used to record in village wooden house with great main space and bedrooms available for longer sessions. But I'm too far from it now so the best option would be if anyone had such a place available. Obviously renting the space would be part of the agreement in case any commercial success happens. If not -- I'll pay for the place.

As for the law and papers. My primary interest is music, not money, so I will do my best to make sure it's fair to everyone and any comments are welcome here if anyone has something valuable to add. My basic offer is to share potential profit evenly with small variations depending on additional contribution (recording room, equipment...).

I'll post the first draft soon here to give you an idea of what you can expect from me. I have another account here and got positive feedback on my music but now I'd rather stay anonymous.

Apply here or on my mailbox which is 'georgethedifferent' **)

*) Don't be afraid to apply. If there will be two brilliant bass players, yet there will be more than one track to record!

**) at gmail.com

Last edited by georgethedifferent; 06-17-2013 at 02:52 PM.
georgethedifferent is offline   Reply With Quote