Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 06-29-2018, 02:07 AM   #1
domforr
Human being with feelings

Default Audient ID14, Mac latency when recording

Hi,

I know this is probably the oldest question in the book, but I still can't seem to find a conclusive answer to it.

So, in the last session where I was recording vocals, there was a significant delay when the vocalist sang her lines resulting in a horrible sort of echo effect. We managed to get round it by her basically not hearing herself in the headphones and just relying on performance, but it was far from ideal.

Just to give some details of my set-up:

Audient ID14
Mac mini 2012- 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB ram
Recording onto an external drive.

The tracks are admittedly quite developed and running quite a few plug-ins, which presumably is slowing things down. Generally about 25-30 tracks, with compressor vst's etc. It's a pretty powerful Mac though, so I would have thought it could handle such things.

I tried turning the buffer size down and this did help somewhat, but didn't entirely resolve the issue.

Any suggestions?

I have another session on Monday and would like to have this sorted before we start if possible.

Many thanks,

Dom
domforr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:44 AM   #2
Vasily

to make input monitoring usable, you need RTT latency under 4ms. things that might help you:

1. something like the direct monitoring feature. in some sound cards you will be able to play the input to the headphones without any DAW monitoring and thus in a non prone to latency way. you will be not able to hear your FX in Reaper for that track though.

2. playing around with sample rate. some devices actually run faster, not slower on 96kHz.

3. lowering the buffer size as you can.
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:54 AM   #3
domforr

Thanks for the tips. I think the monitoring thing won't work as I'm using a 3rd party box to enable three headphones through the ID14 and can only do this using the main mix (or so Audient tell me).

As I've already recorded most of the tracks in 44100 presumably I can't change the sample rate now? That has to be from the start of the session doesn't it?
Old 06-29-2018, 03:11 AM   #4
Vasily

Quote:
Originally Posted by domforr View Post
As I've already recorded most of the tracks in 44100 presumably I can't change the sample rate now? That has to be from the start of the session doesn't it?
you can switch to 96k (and have half tracks in 44, half in 96). and then you're safe downmixing it to 44.1 again, when you're finished.
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:19 AM   #5
domforr

Okay, I wasn't aware I wasn't aware of that. Thanks, good to know.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 AM   #6
Stella645

Make sure there are no plugs with significant latency on the vocal channel, the mixbus or any group that the vocal is bussed through before hitting the mixbus.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by domforr View Post
Hi,

I know this is probably the oldest question in the book, but I still can't seem to find a conclusive answer to it.

So, in the last session where I was recording vocals, there was a significant delay when the vocalist sang her lines resulting in a horrible sort of echo effect. We managed to get round it by her basically not hearing herself in the headphones and just relying on performance, but it was far from ideal.

Just to give some details of my set-up:

Audient ID14
Mac mini 2012- 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB ram
Recording onto an external drive.

The tracks are admittedly quite developed and running quite a few plug-ins, which presumably is slowing things down. Generally about 25-30 tracks, with compressor vst's etc. It's a pretty powerful Mac though, so I would have thought it could handle such things.

I tried turning the buffer size down and this did help somewhat, but didn't entirely resolve the issue.

Any suggestions?

I have another session on Monday and would like to have this sorted before we start if possible.

Many thanks,

Dom
I'll assume from what you stated here that 1. You are intentionally monitoring through Reaper with low latency settings (as opposed to monitoring through a mixer built into your connected audio interface). 2. Your latency has changed unexpectedly even though you haven't changed the block size setting.

You mention a lot of plugins and being well into mixing production...
If you have some plugins that need more processing time than your current block size, Reaper will add block size chunks of delay to PDC to compensate. It sounds like that is likely what's going on.

You can render a stem of the tracks in question so you can offline those plugins. Or turn to the cuemix mixer built into your audio interface for these overdubs.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote