Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 09-13-2019, 02:05 AM   #1
Sofia
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer x-Touch Instructions for a perfect use

Hi, I bought an x-touch yesterday and I configured it so now it works great with Reaper. Also the Plug-ins works good. I tested it on Windows 7 and 10 with the latest Reaper and Sws update.

I hope this post will be useful!

Sorry in advance for my English. I'm from Italy.

Enjoy!

STEP 1: Upgrade the Firmware
  1. Connect X-Touch, press "Display" while turning it on and check the firmware version.
  2. Download FIRMAWARE
  3. Download MIDIOX
  4. Open MidiOx
    • Options --> Midi Devices --> select x-touch in Midi Inputs and Midi Outputs
    • Options --> check the last "Pass SysEx"
    • View --> SysEx.. --> Command Window --> Load File... (Load the Firmware file)
    • Still in SysEx window: File --> Send SysEx File
  5. Re-check the Firmware now!

STEP 2: Configure Mackie Control Klinke
    MC Klinke in necessary to have control on plug-ins in addition to track and transport control.
  6. Download MACKIE CONTROL KLINKE
  7. Copy the ZIP file in "Plugins" folder of Reaper installation folder and unpack it here
  8. On X-Touch, press "Select" on first channel while turning it on, select Mode MC and Ifc USB
  9. Open Reaper --> Options --> Preferences... -->
    • Control/OSC/web --> Add --> Mackie Control (Klinke) and then, if the device is connected via usb, change the value of "control surface display update frequency" to 30 (This is in Control/OSC/web menu)
    • MIDI Devices -->
      right click on X-Touch voice in Midi inputs to set "Enable input" and "Enable Input for control messages"
      right click on X-Touch voice in Midi outputs to set "Enable output"
      make sure to choose "MIDIIN2 (X-Touch)" and MIDIOUTN2 (X-Touch) to use it with another MIDI device.

STEP 3: Close Reaper, Restart the PC

STEP 4: TIPS:
  • How to work on plug-ins? Add FX to tracks, push "PLUG-IN" on the top right of the X-Touch and then push "SELECT" on the first channel of the X-Touch. Now, when you choose a plug-in on the PC, it's assigned on the X-Touch. Press "PAN/SORROUND" to go back to track control.

• Some buttons on the right are assignable (like the buttons next to GLOBAL VIEW. Check "Special Key" in the Action Window to assign a MIDI button on the X-Touch to an action. OPEN THE IMAGE

• A few explanations on the buttons assigned to Reaper:

PAN/SORROUND: Track control

PLUG-IN: plug-ins control

SEND: Sends control. It works only if a track with send is selected. SELECT button exchange send and receive channels adjustments.

FLIP: Swap Volume and Pan potentiometers for fine adjustments.

F1, F2, F3... refer to markers.
    CONTROL + Fn create a marker
    SHIFT + Fn create a selection
    MARKER button with the led on: press rew or fwd to switch between markers

Try MODIFY buttons in combination with other functions:

• CONTROL + SELECTn add a selected track

• ALT + SELECTn select from 1st to n track

• SHIFT + SELECTn select from n to 1st track

• CONTROL + AUTOMATION buttons sets the behavior on all tracks.
      The same with REC, SOLO, MUTE buttons

• CONTROL + rew or fwd go to beginning or end of project.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Sofia; 09-25-2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: update
Sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
themixtape

Thanks, but correct me if I'm wrong.... you can't enable input or control messages in MIDI Devices, if the X-Touch is already enabled as a Control Surface (using Klinke)... right?

Thanks!

EDIT: The X-Touch shows up as TWO separate MIDI devices... "X-Touch" (used in the Control Surfaces / Klinke configuration) and "MIDI IN2 (X-Touch)" (used for general MIDI commands)... so this is possible. Maybe you can clarify your instructions in the first post... it would help, thx!

Last edited by themixtape; 09-17-2019 at 11:41 AM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:17 PM   #3
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
you can't enable input or control messages in MIDI Devices, if the X-Touch is already enabled as a Control Surface (using Klinke)... right?
I tested this using CSI and found that this indeed seemed to be exclusive.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:42 AM   #4
Sofia

Quote:
Thanks, but correct me if I'm wrong.... you can't enable input or control messages in MIDI Devices, if the X-Touch is already enabled as a Control Surface (using Klinke)... right?

Thanks!
Hi, I use it in conjunction with my midi keyboard and the both work good.
Also, on the x-touch u can set some of the buttons on the right with the midi messages that you prefer. That's not allowed on the left side of the device: No programmable faders, knobs and all the rec, solo, mute, select buttons. Instead they are automatically set for channels or plugins.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
reapermusic

Hello everyone,

I too have recently bought the Behringer X touch and tries it with Reaper last nite.

If I download and install Klinke will all my faders,transport panel, encoders work like normal and also control different plugins automatically such as Waves,Ik Multimedia ect?

Sofia you mentioned

"That's not allowed on the left side of the device: No programmable faders, knobs and all the rec, solo, mute, select buttons. Instead they are automatically set for channels or plugins.

Will the faders and knobs and transport section still work like normal?

Thanks much!

Pete
reapermusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
reapermusic

Ahhh unfortunately my results were not good, I just managed to try it but my x touch turned into a hot mess lol
Lights on all over the place, plugin light was on but I couldn't control anything, scribble strips were showing blanks and at times showing me to read the manual which I will most certainly will ha! Anyway maybe something I'm doing wrong I kinda thought it would automatically just map itself but perhaps I have to go through some more steps?
However the faders did work.
I'm on a windows 10 PC
I'll read the manual and see what I missed damn it lol
Old 09-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapermusic View Post
I just managed to try
Which kind of integration ?

Reaper's "Mackie Control Universal" ? Klinke ? CSI ? ... ? ... ?

Quote:
I'll read the manual
Which manual ?

X-Touch ? Reaper ? Klinke ? CSI ? ... ? ... ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-16-2019 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:24 AM   #8
HIO

My X-Touch with Reaper worked right out of the box with just a few settings for both. What wasn't already mapped which was most stuff, I just started putting actions to the buttons and switches that were not being used. I am even using some floor pedal switching.

No Klinke or CSI here and the X-Touch is working beautiful as is.
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #9
reapermusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Which kind of integration ?

Reaper's "Mackie Control Universal" ? Klinke ? CSI ? ... ? ... ?

Which manual ?

X-Touch ? Reaper ? Klinke ? CSI ? ... ? ... ?

-Michael
Hello Michael,
Sorry for being vague
I'm using Reaper's MCU Klinke
and I'm going to go through the Klinke manual when I have more time today.
I am mainly interested in the plugin support aspect for example selecting a track and controling the plugin parameters using the x touch's encoders.

I'll mess with it later on though
Just wasn't sure of what I'm getting is normal behavior for example when pressing the plugin button on the x touch various buttons start blinking and I lost control of faders ECT

I'm pretty sure it's user error on my part and will go through the Klinke manual.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 AM   #10
reapermusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
My X-Touch with Reaper worked right out of the box with just a few settings for both. What wasn't already mapped which was most stuff, I just started putting actions to the buttons and switches that were not being used. I am even using some floor pedal switching.

No Klinke or CSI here and the X-Touch is working beautiful as is.
Hello HIO,

Yes out of the box it works fine for me too even if limited,I was just really intrigued by the notion of also controlling plugin parameters.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #11
Sofia

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I too have recently bought the Behringer X touch and tries it with Reaper last nite.

If I download and install Klinke will all my faders,transport panel, encoders work like normal and also control different plugins automatically such as Waves,Ik Multimedia ect?

Sofia you mentioned

"That's not allowed on the left side of the device: No programmable faders, knobs and all the rec, solo, mute, select buttons. Instead they are automatically set for channels or plugins.

Will the faders and knobs and transport section still work like normal?

Thanks much!

Pete
Yes! Tracks are automatically connected, transport buttons and also other functions that you can control with the right side of the xtouch. Also plug-ins are recognized. When you charge a plug-in on reaper, press "plug-in" and then "select" on first channel of the xtouch.

Last edited by Sofia; 09-16-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
Sofia

Quote:
Ahhh unfortunately my results were not good, I just managed to try it but my x touch turned into a hot mess lol
Lights on all over the place, plugin light was on but I couldn't control anything, scribble strips were showing blanks and at times showing me to read the manual which I will most certainly will ha! Anyway maybe something I'm doing wrong I kinda thought it would automatically just map itself but perhaps I have to go through some more steps?
However the faders did work.
I'm on a windows 10 PC
I'll read the manual and see what I missed damn it lol
Did you follow the steps i wrote and achieved this result??
Old 09-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #13
reapermusic

Hello Sofia,
Thank you for your assistance I will try what you said
Especially that instruction of pressing the plugin button and then select on first channel,I was pressing all sorts of buttons ha
Thank you again 😀
Old 09-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #14
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofia View Post
Hi, I use it in conjunction with my midi keyboard and the both work good.
Also, on the x-touch u can set some of the buttons on the right with the midi messages that you prefer. That's not allowed on the left side of the device: No programmable faders, knobs and all the rec, solo, mute, select buttons. Instead they are automatically set for channels or plugins.
I still don't understand... the X-Touch cannot be enabled as an input in both MIDI Devices, and Control Surfaces, simultaneously, can it (EDIT: it can because the X-Touch shows up as both "X-Touch" and "MIDI IN2 (X-Touch)"... maybe you can clarify the instructions in the first post, thank you!

Last edited by themixtape; 09-17-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #15
HIO

Quote:
Hello HIO,

Yes out of the box it works fine for me too even if limited,I was just really intrigued by the notion of also controlling plugin parameters.
I see, gotcha..comprende and thanks for the clarification.
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #16
Sofia

Quote:
I still don't understand... the X-Touch cannot be enabled as an input in both MIDI Devices, and Control Surfaces, simultaneously, can it? Thank you!
I don't understand if you're concerning with midi messages from x-touch or with the x-touch working in conjunction with the keyboard.
So, I answer for both:
1) There are some customizable buttons such as the ones next to "global view" and I personalized them for my screensets.
To add them as a shortcut for an action, you must select "special key" --> OPEN THE IMAGE

2) The 2 works together but sometimes Reaper sends an error message and the two stop working, but I checked "don't show it again" on the message, so I don't remember what was written XD
Old 09-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #17
reapermusic

Ok I want to share an update,
it works great!
Felt a little weird controlling the plugin parameters with the faders. After getting more comfortable with it very very nice! I'm not sure if using the plugins via the x touch is easier than using the mouse though but perhaps after becoming more comfortable it may be quicker and more convenient.
Anyway it's great!
I was actually using the x touch with Harrison mixbus for mixing because I like the console workflow and it's fun using the encoder knobs to perform EQ and compression functions but I also am so happy that Reaper is now well integrated with x touch especially via Klinke! Very cool!
It feels so nice now being able to use the x touch with both Reaper and HMB of course Reaper is my main DAW but I like to have two different flavors and workflows for recording and mixing 😀😀👍👍
Sorry for the long post ha!
Old 09-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #18
themixtape

Quote:
I don't understand if you're concerning with midi messages from x-touch or with the x-touch working in conjunction with the keyboard.
So, I answer for both:
1) There are some customizable buttons such as the ones next to "global view" and I personalized them for my screensets.
To add them as a shortcut for an action, you must select "special key" --> OPEN THE IMAGE

2) The 2 works together but sometimes Reaper sends an error message and the two stop working, but I checked "don't show it again" on the message, so I don't remember what was written XD
Yeah, I understand that... the customizable buttons next to Global View... with the modifier (shift, alt, option, etc) buttons, you get even more CC controls. Especially with Klinke.

Everything's working as it should. Again, maybe you can clarify the instructions---

REAPER PREFERENCES:

In MIDI Devices, you can enable "MIDI IN2 (X-Touch)" for input and control messages. In Control Surfaces, you must use "X-Touch", for the Mackie Klinke mode.

I was insanely confused, but they work side-by-side.

Last edited by themixtape; 09-17-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:17 AM   #19
Sofia

Quote:
Yeah, I understand that... the customizable buttons next to Global View... with the modifier (shift, alt, option, etc) buttons, you get even more CC controls. Especially with Klinke.

Everything's working as it should. Again, maybe you can clarify the instructions---

REAPER PREFERENCES:

In MIDI Devices, you can enable "MIDI IN2 (X-Touch)" for input and control messages. In Control Surfaces, you must use "X-Touch", for the Mackie Klinke mode.

I was insanely confused, but they work side-by-side.
Ok, now I edit the post and add all the details! Thank you
Old 09-20-2019, 11:46 PM   #20
Carlos_ring

Hi,

im using Reaper with my motu and the x-touch.

Good work flow, but whats about the colors? I know its not supported by mackie, but what if i use the beringer rack Interface? I thought about getting one for my touring mixing rack.

Does reaper support the behringer protocol so i can use it with full xtouch support?
Carlos_ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:55 AM   #21
Sofia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_ring View Post
Hi,

im using Reaper with my motu and the x-touch.

Good work flow, but whats about the colors? I know its not supported by mackie, but what if i use the beringer rack Interface? I thought about getting one for my touring mixing rack.

Does reaper support the behringer protocol so i can use it with full xtouch support?
Colors are supported only using xtouch as a controller for the digital mixer x32 from Behringer. I know only about a OSC Behringer protocol that refers solely to x32, so it's useless in a daw.
If you connect the controller to a Behringer interface, nothing happens.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:34 AM   #22
mschnell

Do you suggest that the color feature is not supported by the MIdi protocol the XTouch provides ?

If it provides colors via OSC protocol: the newest versions of the "CSI" extension does support talking OSC with the device.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-22-2019 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:39 AM   #23
mschnell

Quote:
Reaper itself does not directly / explicitly "support" but a very few count of surface devices and associated workflow variants "out of the box". There are several extension plugins and scripts that are intended to provide such functionality.
-Michael
Old 09-22-2019, 04:01 AM   #24
Sofia

Quote:
Do you suggest that the color feature is not supported by the MIdi protocol the XTouch provides ?

If it provides colors via OSC protocol: the newest versions of the "CSI" extension does support talking OSC with the device.

-Michael
Colors are sent via sysex messages. Here is a document made by a person that tested the xtouch linked to a mixer Behringer XR16 with xctl protocol.
Xctl Protocol for X-Touch V1.0.pdf

I don't know if CSI will support it. Ask to the developer.

Mackie Control (MC) doesn't provide colors, but the xctl does it!

So, in conclusion, to have colors you probably have to connect the xtouch via MIDI cable to your audio device and set xctl instead of mc.
Try it and let us know!

Last edited by Sofia; 09-22-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #25
mschnell

Quote:
Colors are sent via sysex messages. I don't know if CSI will support it.
Interesting question. I don't know either. But if it does not, supposedly Geoff will implement sending sysex.

-Michael
Old 09-23-2019, 01:58 AM   #26
Sofia

Quote:
Interesting question. I don't know either. But if it does not, supposedly Geoff will implement sending sysex.

-Michael
It hasn't to be difficult. Sysex is a part of Midi that sends manufacturer's messages. You have to know manufacturer's code and then color messages using Midiox.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #27
mschnell

Up till now, with my limited insight, I only saw three-byte message Midi communication with CSI (in the configuration files). SysEx uses much longer blocks.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-23-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #28
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
It hasn't to be difficult. Sysex is a part of Midi that sends manufacturer's messages. You have to know manufacturer's code and then color messages using Midiox.
Yeah I had a quick look at the document, thanks.

CSI (actually all MCU based software) already uses SysEx for scribble strips.

So, yes, it is officially on the to-do list

Now just have to come up with some way of incorporating this stuff in a non-device specific way, cool , love a challenge !
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #29
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
... love a challenge !
Great for us

I did do a configurable SysEx JSFX ( ReaPack -> Midi CC to SysEx ). But I don't suppose this will help.

-Michael
Old 09-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #30
Carlos_ring

Ok i thought about selling the x touch, but i think it sounds like there could be a solution? Great news
i find it very hard at the moment, too slow workflow for me with the beringer 8 Channel, missing the colors.
Carlos_ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:44 AM   #31
Sofia

Quote:
Ok i thought about selling the x touch, but i think it sounds like there could be a solution? Great news
i find it very hard at the moment, too slow workflow for me with the beringer 8 Channel, missing the colors.
Seriously? Colors are an optional.. There are not so many daw controllers that use colored channels. Try to use the xtouch as it is and don't sell it! Another device costs at least $100 more and i'm not sure that color is a feature..
Old 03-27-2020, 12:25 PM   #32
Mike@Ossarium

Quote:
Yeah I had a quick look at the document, thanks.

CSI (actually all MCU based software) already uses SysEx for scribble strips.

So, yes, it is officially on the to-do list

Now just have to come up with some way of incorporating this stuff in a non-device specific way, cool , love a challenge !
Hi,
any news for the support of the xctl sysex messages?
I also like to use the colored stripes.

BR ,Mike
Old 03-27-2020, 02:33 PM   #33
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Ossarium View Post
Hi,
any news for the support of the xctl sysex messages?
I also like to use the colored stripes.

BR ,Mike
Thanks for reminding me, just had a quick look, their colour concepts don't map well at all to the RGB model we currently have for everything else, will have to think about this a bit...
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #34
edding

Quote:
Hi, I bought an x-touch yesterday and I configured it so now it works great with Reaper. Also the Plug-ins works good. I tested it on Windows 7 and 10 with the latest Reaper and Sws update.

I hope this post will be useful!
Thank you very much for your post. I've found this solution the best for now.
I have tried 3:
-MCU default by reaper
-CSI
-Klinke

The MCU Editor (Alt+PAN/SURROUND) just worth it to use this solution for now.

The only feature i miss is the ability to select a track in reaper with the mouse and becouse of this the surface can automatically scroll to show any change. If the surface is in a diffent channel bank you cannot see any feedback meanwhile you are manipulating tracks on reaper with the mouse.

MCU reaper default and CSI looks able to do it.

There is any way to address this using Klinke?
edding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #35
EnfernoMuzik

Default New

I'm super late to this post but I just got my xtouch and I'm new to reaper coming from Reason 10. This is a bit overwhelming
EnfernoMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:28 PM   #36
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper Forums.

Regarding CSI, You should start by reading the Wiki.

-Michael
Old 08-22-2020, 07:31 AM   #37
EnfernoMuzik

Is there a link for this wiki? Sorry still trying to learn my way around the forum
EnfernoMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:06 AM   #38
mschnell

Notes wiki -- thanks @MalcolmG - https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Video -- thanks @poetnprophet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5IC-fuI0E8

-Michael
Old 02-04-2021, 07:02 AM   #39
hedge

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me, just had a quick look, their colour concepts don't map well at all to the RGB model we currently have for everything else, will have to think about this a bit...
Hi Geoff, thank you for the great work. It's brilliantly done for Reaper. I have been hoping to be able to get track colors into the scribble strip. but I understand that it's XCTL mode only. I read in the Reason forum that they have integrated XCTL mode in their script. I understand what you meant by Behringer's colour concept is different, because, there are only a limited no. of colors:
r - red
g - green
y - yellow
b - blue
p - pink
c - cyan
But that's still better not having colors at all. Is there any chance of getting this? (I know, I know ... leaving MCU and going XCTL is a whole lot of work again). Anyway, appreciate your effort!
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:58 AM   #40
DeBased

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge View Post
I understand what you meant by Behringer's colour concept is different, because, there are only a limited no. of colors:
Shame they're limited, but this is just each R,G,B channel being either full on or off. This can be mapped from full RGB fairly easily by using thresholds for each channel:

EDIT: to avoid dark colours mapping to black, normalize the full RGB colour first (so the largest RGB channel is always 1.0):

Code:
// using floating point math:
float max_channel = max(max(RGB.r, RGB.g), RGB.b);

if(max_channel > 0.f) // avoid div-by-zero
    RGB /= max_channel;
threshold:

Code:
bool r_on = (RGB.r >= 0.5); // (or 128 in 8bit).
bool g_on = (RGB.g >= 0.5);
bool b_on = (RGB.b >= 0.5);
and then indexing those into a lookup table:
Code:
touch_colour [2][2][2] = {
    off/black, // 0, 0, 0,
    blue, // 0, 0, 1
    green, // 0, 1, 0
    cyan, // 0, 1, 1,
    red, // 1, 0, 0
    pink, // 1, 0, 1,
    yellow, // 1, 1, 0,
    white // 1, 1, 1,
    };

sysex_colour = touch_colour[r_on][g_on][b_on];
(I think that's right)

I've just bought an X-Touch (arriving today) and it would be nice to have the SWS auto-colouring reflected on the Touch. I'm a programmer and can look at adding this if it helps. Does it actually need XCTL mode, or will the SysEx messages work in MCU mode too?

Last edited by DeBased; 02-12-2021 at 03:56 AM.
DeBased is offline   Reply With Quote