Old 06-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Default v5.50rc4 - June 27 2017

v5.50rc4 - June 27 2017
+ Web Interface: add vector.html
# Automation items: add actions to toggle options for removing underlying points when creating automation items, and auto-trim-behind
# Automation items: improve behavior when ripple editing and option enabled to move envelope points with media items
# Automation items: when splitting automation items, pool the new items only if the original was pooled
# Envelopes: add action and dialog option to reduce number of selected envelope points
# Envelopes: fix missing edge points when editing envelope segments in certain cases [p=1858120]
# media explorer: seeking actions obey selection
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
X-Raym

Any difference between Fancier and Vector ?

Nice it is coming in this release !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
hopi

wow... vector on the way? kewl shews
Old 06-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #4
EpicSounds

@x-raym, looks the same to me

What's the button at top right for?

Old 06-28-2017, 02:29 AM   #5
X-Raym

@reaperblog
It is called the "transition button"when you activate it, displaying the top bar menu is done with a smooth translation.
else, it just hide/displayI assume this feature is for low end mobiles.

Don't know if it deserve a button though.

(but the interface is super !)
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
Mercado_Negro

This has been happening for quite a few betas:

We can't marquee select items anymore... well, we can but now it only works for automation items

I think it should work this way:

1) Start marquee in track lane = select media items only
2) Start marquee in envelope lane = select automation items only (even on multiple tracks)
Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I think it should work this way:

1) Start marquee in track lane = select media items only
2) Start marquee in envelope lane = select automation items only (even on multiple tracks)

Ah, good catch, thanks.

The current logic for marquee selections that include media items and envelope points is: if the envelope is already selected, only marquee-select envelope points; if the envelope is not already selected, only marquee-select media items.

IMO the logic for marquee selections that include media items and automation items should be: if the envelope is already selected, only marquee-select automation items; if the envelope is not already selected, marquee-select both media items and automation items.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #8
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
IMO the logic for marquee selections that include media items and automation items should be: if the envelope is already selected, only marquee-select automation items; if the envelope is not already selected, marquee-select both media items and automation items.
Yes, that logic sounds OK because envelope lanes are selected automatically when we start a marquee over them so it goes inline with what I suggested. If I'm starting a marquee over an envelope lane it means I just want to select points or automation items. If I start it over the track lane it means I want to select media items. All this should work across multiple tracks/lanes, of course.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I´d love to really control this via a dedicated action like:

envelope: marquee select envelope points
envelope: marquee select autiomation items
item: marquee select media items

Maybe I am missing the point, but this put into a toolbar for messing with automation/evelopes/items - everything under control, right?
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:01 PM   #10
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
I´d love to really control this via a dedicated action like:

envelope: marquee select envelope points
envelope: marquee select autiomation items
item: marquee select media items

Maybe I am missing the point, but this put into a toolbar for messing with automation/evelopes/items - everything under control, right?
What's the point of having such actions if you're using your mouse to select things? What points or automation items or media items will be selected when you run each action? We have specific areas right now like track lanes and envelope lanes so everything should have its own context depending on what you're trying to do. If you start a marquee over a track lane it means you want to select media items (and if you want to move/copy those items with their automation items or points just hit the automation button on the main toolbar they'll move/copy along). If you marquee select over an envelope lane it means you just want to select points or automation items. It's a pretty straighforward thinking, IMO.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #11
Win Conway

Will test the point selection, it is very very appreciated, if it works will it propagate to other point actions ?
Old 06-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #12
ferropop

Quote:
What's the point of having such actions if you're using your mouse to select things? What points or automation items or media items will be selected when you run each action? We have specific areas right now like track lanes and envelope lanes so everything should have its own context depending on what you're trying to do. If you start a marquee over a track lane it means you want to select media items (and if you want to move/copy those items with their automation items or points just hit the automation button on the main toolbar they'll move/copy along). If you marquee select over an envelope lane it means you just want to select points or automation items. It's a pretty straighforward thinking, IMO.
Area Selection, and all these special cases disappear
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #13
Win Conway

Selected points doesn't work

But to be honest if you are only going to add it to reduce points and not just support selecting points and running actions, i would just remove it, it will only be even more confusing, when a noob selects points and tries running reduce by half or reverse points or whatever.

It really needs to work like any other selection would work, all actions.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #14
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post

But to be honest if you are only going to add it to reduce points and not just support selecting points and running actions, i would just remove it, it will only be even more confusing, when a noob selects points and tries running reduce by half or reverse points or whatever.

is that reaper? what theme is that
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 PM   #15
TheWhistler

Quote:
I thought of having the ability to just select eg AI when I like to marquee select a bunch of them on different tracks, while not selecting points or media items.
I can live with it like it is, but I like to control things.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #16
TheWhistler

Quote:

sorry for the off topic, what theme is this?
Old 06-29-2017, 12:01 AM   #17
EvilDragon

Quote:
Hm, works over here...

Last edited by EvilDragon; 06-29-2017 at 12:18 AM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:12 AM   #18
gunny

Hm... I can reduce the number of these selected point:

...but I can't do that (the option is greyed out) after I created an AI that encapsulated them:

That's rather unexpected...
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:29 AM   #19
EvilDragon

^^^^

That seems to work here, as well...

Old 06-29-2017, 03:05 AM   #20
gunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
^^^^
That seems to work here, as well...
I made a few more tests in a new project to reduce the noise and it seems to happen only after I deselect the AI. The previously selected points stay in some pseudo-selected state and selecting the same set of points does not help. (The other does.)

gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:30 AM   #21
Edgemeal

Default Can not reset points do not get reset

AI/Envelope points/display is not updated after double clicking slider to reset (restore original point values).
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
gwok

Does this mean that AI's are going to be in the next official build?
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #23
EvilDragon

Pretty much.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #24
Win Conway

OSX issue maybe ED ?
Should have put that in my post, apologies.

Theme is my own.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:47 AM   #25
airon

Since I've spent little time in the beta process in recent months, this is going to be an interesting manual read when this is out. I thought I'd get a simple question out of the way right now.

Do automation items carry envelope date from a single envelope, or can they carry data from multiple envelopes as well ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:24 AM   #26
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Do automation items carry envelope date from a single envelope, or can they carry data from multiple envelopes as well ?
Single envelope. It is just a container for envelope points.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:30 AM   #27
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
v5.50rc4 - June 27 2017
+ Web Interface: add vector.html
# Automation items: add actions to toggle options for removing underlying points when creating automation items, and auto-trim-behind
# Automation items: improve behavior when ripple editing and option enabled to move envelope points with media items
# Automation items: when splitting automation items, pool the new items only if the original was pooled
# Envelopes: add action and dialog option to reduce number of selected envelope points
# Envelopes: fix missing edge points when editing envelope segments in certain cases [p=1858120]
# media explorer: seeking actions obey selection
At first glance I got excited and thought it was vector for Reaper GUI Sigh. I guess it's only for the web UI
Old 06-30-2017, 06:14 AM   #28
Ulf3000

hey developers! i know when i post here itll get heard .. the last 2 days i went crazy because of a longstanding bug with the reaper api midi functions namely

reaper.MIDI_SetNote,

reaper.MIDI_InsertNote
and

reaper.MIDI_Sort(MediaItemTake)

to demonstrate what i mean i made a few gifs

my script does nothing but calculate a new end and start point for each note and then uses reaper.MIDI_SetNote to those values for those which are not calculated i just set them to another midi channel for this demonstration ,

this is how it should look like!
(im using a little hack here in calling
reaper.MIDIEditor_LastFocused_OnCommand(40659,0) -- correct overlapping notes
after each note i set )

without this hack it looks like this though :

note how on every new note i set theres a sorting function running which deletes or messes up end points of notes and/or merges notes and removes notes

this messes up the index of the notes of course so in teh second pass where i delete the green notes it takes the wrong index and deletes orange ones instead , on end the midi sort funtion end up with those prolonged notes to the item end. thats the default behaviour for this api which is one of the most important apis of reaper and it broken ....

it doesn´t just affect my script though , it affects EVERY script available for reaper and even recording sometimes ...

here is guitar chord helper

python chord tool

here in lokasennas theory helper you can see the different behavior between
reaper.MIDI_InsertNote(cur_take, sel, mute, start, _end, chan, new_pitch, vel, true)
and reaper.MIDI_InsertNote(cur_take, sel, mute, start, _end, chan, new_pitch, vel, false)

when set to false you get those prolonged notes but whne set to true its worse because notes get completely removed from the midi-take

its always happening when two notes overlap its somehow enumerating the notes wrong and crapping out

when you record something with overdub there seems to be happening something similar but it get corrected , so maybe that code from the recording can help a bit

further looking the problem also extends to smaller scripts which insert appregios n stuff..
the sws groove tool also only gets away with calling the correct overlapping notes action first ..

i can reproduce this from 5.0 all the way up to 5.5 with fresh protable install and all

please please fix this devs , id be super awesome if the midi api/system/code gets a little love in one of the next releases. not just becasue i wanna make my script as good as possible but becasue i work mainly with midi and its somehow a real problem whic comes up frequently whnen working with scripts and gluing midi items ...

if theres no time at the moment because of webinterface and automation items then at least make calling the

reaper.MIDIEditor_LastFocused_OnCommand(40659,0) -- correct overlapping notes

possible from the main reaper.Main_OnCommand or on the miditake-item itself

for the time being ,

would be very grateful
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:04 AM   #29
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Single envelope. It is just a container for envelope points.
Thank you.

Ulf3000, copy your post over to the bug report forum. Should your report concern the pre-releases, it belongs here. Every other bug report belongs in the bug forum section. They do read them all.

Are we about done with this release cycle ? I've got a couple of small things to report as well. Things do seem a little slow right now, so I wanted to hold off until 5.50 is out.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #30
EpicSounds

I don't know if anyone has tested the saving and loading of Automation items but this is what I found. (OSX 10.10.5)

Saving an AI always opens the user documents folder, instead of last used, or reaper resources folder
Same with loading an AI.
Every time, not just the first time. We don't want that.

Suggested fix:
A folder for AutomationItems in REAPER folder, with some premade shapes included with default install. Saving and loading looks in this folder first.

The second bug is that sometimes the exported AI isn't the same as what was saved. Try changing the offset, then saving.
I think it should save what is visible and not require the user to glue first.
That combined with the extra steps to save and then load to test if it was saved right makes for a poor user experience.

With the LFO generator, it would be 100% more useful if we had control over start and middle values.
Currently the LFO always starts at middle.

And please, please, please fix this
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...64#post1858964
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...55&postcount=4
Old 07-02-2017, 10:00 PM   #31
vanhaze

Jon, concerning your loading /saving AI issues, this is my experience:

1) I save an AI to choosen folder A.
2) I then do load AI ; Folder A is automatically selected.
3) I save another AI, folder A is automatically selected.

1) I save an AI to choosen folder B
2) I then do load AI ; Folder B is automatically selected.
3) I save another AI, folder B is automatically selected.

etc.

AI's are correctly saved/loaded in the exact state they were in (including offset).

I am on OSX 10.12.5.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:55 AM   #32
EpicSounds

Thanks for checking Rob.

Is that a portable install? (mine is)
Old 07-03-2017, 04:27 AM   #33
vanhaze

Hey Jon,

No, mine is "regular" install, no portable ..
Old 07-03-2017, 04:35 AM   #34
EvilDragon

Yeah, works fine over here for AI save/load. Regular install.