Old 03-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Rease
Human being with feelings

Default Recording Frustrations (stutters)

Just bought a brand new laptop, and I'm having issues while recording. Let's start with the specs:

Computer:
CPU: i7 quadcore 1.73ghz
RAM: 6gb
sound: Not actually sure - "ATI high definition audio device" and "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" are listed in the device manager.
HD space left: tons

Hardware:
Blue Snowball mic (going directly into a USB port)
Onxy Blackjack USB recording interface (going into a USB port)

My guitar is going into the Onyx with a monster cable.

Software:
Reaper v3.75 64 bit
Latest drivers for USB interface and mic
Newest version of Asio4all

Here's the deal - I can't stop the recording from stuttering and chopping for the life of me. I've turned the ASIO buffer size up to 2048 samples, I've turned the WDM driver to force it to 16 bit, and I've tried the Kernal Buffers at 4 and 1. I've had the project set to 16 bit with low (and high) sampling rates. I've tried to set ASIO and Reaper as high priorities.

No matter what I do, every 10 seconds, my ASIO4ALL icon turns into a red exclamation point, and the sound stutters and spits. It doesn't matter if I'm playing into the mic or the USB interface.

I need some help Part of me regrets buying this expensive laptop, as this whole recording thing was my ultimate goal.

Any help or advice or even attempts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks fellas (and gals)

Last edited by Rease; 03-04-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Rease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Rease

Also - I did the ctrl+alt+p to track usage, and when it started to clip, the CPU usage clocked at a whopping 2.6%

It doesn't seem to be a CPU issue.

We also moved the recording equipment across the room, and the clipping/stuttering never eased up, so it doesn't appear to be any kind of interference.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Mary888

okay dude, lets try and make your beautiful laptop sing

Did you switch off system restore?

control panel/system/system protection (left sidebar)/configure

switch it off on all drives. click apply

Then keep the system protection window open but click on the advanced tab up top of that window.

you'll see a box called performance, click on settings

you'll see visual settings, click on the advance tab up top

change from programs to background services

just so you know, audio streaming is background services.

then you'll see virtual memory beneath, click change

untick the box up top and do what needs to be done to enter the recconmend amount of memory. Ask if you need detailed intructions.

Now try again and if it fails get back to me.
ACER Travelmate 6460 Intel Core 2 duo T7200 2ghz 3gb ram. Focusrite Saffire Pro40. TC Electronic Powercore Firewire. SSL Duende. Alesis active MK2. Roland JP-8000. Korg ER-1. Frostwave Alienator. Line 6 POD X3 Live. Various Plugins.
Mary888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Rease

Mary888, those suggestions helped a lot! I was able to record sound perfectly with all my inputs, but as soon as I turned on the video recording, the sound went to garbage. Rather than being stuttered, it was like the sound was permanently clipping and sounding fuzzy.

Almost perfect. I just feel like I must be missing something basic.

What ASIO4ALL settings would you recommend using? Buffer size? Kernels? etc?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Mary888

hey dude

Well I am happy to see progress.

Ok I don't work with video much but it sound like a sync problem, so check that all your devices are using the same timing structure ie SMTPE etc.

hang on I'll open reaper and take a gander.... (gander? where did that come from?)

ok, sorry dude, just looked through preferrences and saw nothing.

Your distortion really does sound like sync (Ive heard what you described before) so I suggest to open up your blackjack interface software (I hope it has a control application) and have a look at the sync and timing options, you'll have to experiment but use "internal" sync and there may be "word clock" and "Smpte" to choose from.

As with ASIO4all, I would get rid of it first. use your native ASIO driver (should come with your blackjack driver), so what the diff between the drivers; Well its always different eg, on Sonar I used WDM as it worked the best, Cubase I used ASIO, and now finally Reaper I use ASIO. What to use depends on your computer, software and interface mix, so again just experiment. Now what to look for; well they say to write and record 11ms latency is ok, then when you master change your buffer settings to achieve 3 or 4 ms. I currently have it set for 13ms and all is well. The longer the latency the more plugins you can run, but your system is beefy enough so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

good luck brother
ACER Travelmate 6460 Intel Core 2 duo T7200 2ghz 3gb ram. Focusrite Saffire Pro40. TC Electronic Powercore Firewire. SSL Duende. Alesis active MK2. Roland JP-8000. Korg ER-1. Frostwave Alienator. Line 6 POD X3 Live. Various Plugins.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Marcus Cerutti

Default I have the same problem...

Hi there - this is my first post here and my first post in English... wow!

So, I have the same problems as described at this topic but in a Win 7 32; I just did the recommended changes but my Reaper is still stuttering and chopping. I have 2Gb of ram... could this be a reason?

Trying to figure out for a solution, I took my Yamaha AudioGram6 out and recorded a 2min take using the internal mic of the Latitude E6410... amazingly, no blops, no stuttering - it did a perfect take of a conversation between my wife and I.

Am I using the wrong Yamaha driver??? I've got it from the Yamaha's web page.
Marcus Cerutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
Mary888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Cerutti View Post
Hi there - this is my first post here and my first post in English... wow!

So, I have the same problems as described at this topic but in a Win 7 32; I just did the recommended changes but my Reaper is still stuttering and chopping. I have 2Gb of ram... could this be a reason?

Trying to figure out for a solution, I took my Yamaha AudioGram6 out and recorded a 2min take using the internal mic of the Latitude E6410... amazingly, no blops, no stuttering - it did a perfect take of a conversation between my wife and I.

Am I using the wrong Yamaha driver??? I've got it from the Yamaha's web page.
no 2gb is fine

I speak italian if that helps you

sorry, but did you reboot?

try switching off all antivirus, firewall and network devices

could you better describe your gear, plus did windows 7 come native?

also in device manager is there any unknown or generic devices?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Rease

Quick question for you, Mary888..

I was under the impression that ASIO4ALL was the only way I could get my USB microphone and my blackjack to record at the same time.

Am I wrong? The default ASIOs weren't letting me select the Blue Snowball and my Blackjack under the inputs.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Mary888

to my knowledge ASIO4all is like a generic driver whewn all else fails, so if thats the one that works then so be it.

I don't know your blackjack device at all sorry and I just noticed Reaper allows only one device at a time, so I guess ASIO4all is best for you.

I hope everything is working now
Old 03-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
drumphil

Quote:
I was under the impression that ASIO4ALL was the only way I could get my USB microphone and my blackjack to record at the same time.
It can do this, but only if you have a way of getting wordclock from one device to the other. This is usually impossible with cheap usb or pci adapters.

So, you will almost certainly not be able to use both devices at the same time with asio4all, with the gear you have now.

You could be really lucky, and have two usb devices that derive their wordclock from the USB bus, so if you had them on the same USB port, they would stay in sync. If this is the case and you still have problems, try setting asio4all to force 16bit 48k mode, in case one of the devices will only do that sample rate.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Marcus Cerutti

Hi Mary888 - thanks for reacting to my message. No, Italian does't help me... on despite I have double citizenship, Brazilian & Italian, I don't speak a word in Italian

So, about my gear, it's a Dell Latitude E6410, ram 2GB, processor Intel Core i5 2,40GHz, Win 7 32x (native). The audio interface it's a Yamaha AudioGram6.

Yes, I did reboot and all 'not required' stuff are switched off.

I've been using a driver from Yamaha said designed for Win 7. Yesterday I did a try with the Asio4all. It's not like 'quite stable' but working much better now.

I start realizing that my problem resides at the driver... so I'll try to contact to Yamaha and see what are they say about this. I'd rather use the original driver then an Asio4all...

Btw, this same AudioGram used to work quite fine in my old HP computer, but under Win Vista.

Last edited by Marcus Cerutti; 03-09-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
Mary888

I would contact Yamaha.

I would remove ASIO4all and try again, do all your settings in Reaper/prefereences/audio/device match your Yamaha software settings?

To be honest I don't know how much more help I can give you but I will stick around of course
Old 03-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
Marcus Cerutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary888 View Post
I would contact Yamaha.

I would remove ASIO4all and try again, do all your settings in Reaper/prefereences/audio/device match your Yamaha software settings?

To be honest I don't know how much more help I can give you but I will stick around of course
Danke anyway Mary888 - your tips about switch off the system restore and so on were great.

As soon as I have something new (and my small system working), I'll update here.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #14
Mary888

Good luck dude, There's no better feeling than finding the solution, keep hacking as it will come. I've been involved with sound for like 12 years and still come across problems.

It's never a waste of time, with every mistake you learn something
Old 03-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
Marcus Cerutti

Hi there!

For those who may read this: Dell + Yamaha AudioGram6 = no solution in short term.

I've sent a message to Yamaha telling the situation. After a couple of e-mails, an Yamaha representative (from Brazil) called me this morning.

According to him, the Dell Latitude's chipset has an incompatibility with the AudioGram6 interface. They (I mean, Yamaha) have already contacted Dell in order to discuss the situation and maybe think about a solution.

So... I think I need a M-Audio... does anybody want an almost brand new Yamaha interface? Please, contact with me

Bye!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #16
Mary888

dude sorry to hear that
Old 04-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #17
Marcus Cerutti

Thanks for your help Mary888!

But, there is something that I still can't understand... looking over the Internet for similar issues, I can't find any case like me. According to my research, I am the only one (in the world) who lives the curse Dell Latitude + Yamaha AudioGram... would it be possible?

Hey, hey... you dear reader... do you have a Dell Latitude? And an Yamaha AudioGram 6? C'mom, tell me!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #18
SD-dave

Default Turn off effects when recording, enable live FX processing

I have had many issues recording multiple tracks in Reaper. When I play back the tracks I often have dropouts or "stutters" in the recorded files. I first thought it was a sync problem related to the Focusrite Saffire interfaces I use, but I have now identified the source of the problem to be related to Reaper.

I discovered that if you leave the effects enabled on your tracks during recording, then Reaper will try to perform all that extra processing - even if you are not monitoring the output of the effects. There are a couple of solutions. First, if you disable effects then the CPU load is greatly reduced and the computer can spend its resources on the recording task. The second option is to open the Reaper preferences dialogue box and go to Audio -> Buffering. Check the box to "Allow live FX processing" and set the number of CPU cores that you want to use for this function. I set mine to 8, as I have a multi-core i7 processor. But you will have to play with this value on your system.

I hope this helps others who are struggling with pops, clicks and stutters when recording with Reaper.
SD-dave is offline   Reply With Quote