Old 12-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #481
Colox
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
.. usually it would be larger updates go with larger numbers. If it's really small, a few bug fixes on a recent release for example, then they'd get x.x1 increase.
Yeah, sounds about right. Kindof like the water keeps running into a cup, and if you don't do a purge for a while, the next purge will be larger, than if you empty it more frequently.
I did the same thing the other day, bought a Coca-Cola bottle in a machine by inserting a €1 coin. But I was curious, what happens if you insert LOTS of coins? I put in over 20 coins, there was a loud rumble, and I got f*cking clobbered by a 1.5 x 1 meter coke can that fell out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
really the numbers don't matter, but they just need to make sure they don't run out of numbers until they are ready for 6.0, and maybe that's the only strict rule they ever really follow.
Wouldn't it be cool with a retro version? Kindof version 2.7 revival edition, for 'that old classic feel'? Wonder why that never happens with software, but only with cars, fashion and furniture etc.

Last edited by Colox; 12-21-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:39 AM   #482
abhijeetsingh1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
It would certainly stop all that complaining about MIDI implementation in REAPER!

Seriously though, backward compatibility is one of the strengths of REAPER that sets it apart from other DAW's.
If REAPER ends MIDI support, half of the users would actually switch to another DAW, including me :P
abhijeetsingh1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:55 AM   #483
theFRXST

Quick run down what else needs fixed/improved on imo (without scripts)

- Element focused based actions (allowing the same hotkey but do different things depending on whats in focus) Sort of already have this with that top right drop down called section. It just needs to be expanded on greatly.

- Complete program theming

- Everything dockable

- Make setting up and using midi controllers with and without feedback easy.

- Simplify menus and options and create an button/area for each place called Advanced Settings.

- Perhaps make Walter a lot more like CSS? it would be so much easier

- Clean up the little things. For example, cursors, midi_noteedge, you only provide 1 custom cursor for left and right edges, but OS (W10) defaults to two, and while items get an option for 2 custom cursors for each side.

Shit like that gives you the impression of really good intentions but whoever was designing/setting up this got burnt out and kind of said 'fuck it'.

Maybe one day I have enough resources to buy a ton of hardware, and just track in Reaper like Tycho. lol.

Most things I want in Reaper are already there but need to just be expanded on. Anyways my 2 cents. Cheers
Old 01-31-2018, 12:33 PM   #484
Allspice

There are a lot of minor bugs and inconsistent UI decisions that I'd love to get some attention rather than the usual preference for additional features, imho. I notice this uncomfortable combination of bugs and unrefined UI choices the most when using a docked midi editor, using regions, and editing automation.

It's easy to look at five-year-old bug reports and assume they were dealt with, but here's one example from 2013 that I just confirmed in the current version of REAPER:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1220678

Of course, there are some great threads cataloguing some of this stuff:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181729
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200695

Love REAPER and it's come a long way since I started using it, but there's a lot of little issues that could use some love. They're never going to crash the program, but they can get more than a little tiresome.
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #485
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsingh1993 View Post
If REAPER ends MIDI support, half of the users would actually switch to another DAW, including me :P
Reaper will finally give up MIDI support when they can supply a free state of the art hardware analog polyphonic synth with every purchase.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:50 AM   #486
Trancit

I always asked myself, why so little amount of DAWs have a detail view for audio ...
Every DAW has it for midi editing, why not for audio clips... for audio editing you have to zoom till your fingers bleeding and you still don´t have the same possibilities

Look at Ableton, what a shitload of cool stuff you can do without to zoom in and out in the arrangement...
I would love to be able to set the start and end points of the audio data inside of the clip on the fly as well as being able to loop a section inside of the clip...

My vote: A detail view or editor for audio clips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
Trancit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:15 AM   #487
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsingh1993 View Post
Is there any evidence they're going to do this? And excuse me - if not MIDI then what? Who seriously thinks they're going to decide that you can't use VSTis with REAPER anymore?
Am I missing something here? Is there some bright new alternative to MIDI around that I and the developers of EW, LASS, VSL, Spitfire, etc haven't heard of? Who needs REAPER to host Kontakt anyway?
Or are we dealing with people who think REAPER is only about compressing kick drums and making their girlfriends think they can sing?

No big deal though. REAPER is already very powerful. If they're insane enough to chop MIDI support (there's no need anyway, even if they do want to forge a brave new path just keep it in there as well), I just won't upgrade.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:52 AM   #488
strachupl

My thought is to make Reaper look like a nice DAW. Ability to change buttons etc., more themable.

strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:08 AM   #489
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lyon View Post
Is there any evidence they're going to do this? And excuse me - if not MIDI then what? Who seriously thinks they're going to decide that you can't use VSTis with REAPER anymore?
Am I missing something here? Is there some bright new alternative to MIDI around that I and the developers of EW, LASS, VSL, Spitfire, etc haven't heard of? Who needs REAPER to host Kontakt anyway?
Or are we dealing with people who think REAPER is only about compressing kick drums and making their girlfriends think they can sing?

No big deal though. REAPER is already very powerful. If they're insane enough to chop MIDI support (there's no need anyway, even if they do want to forge a brave new path just keep it in there as well), I just won't upgrade.
It was a joke
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:15 AM   #490
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
It was a joke
Sorry. I guess I'm not up on DAW humour... If there is such a thing...
Maybe there should be:
"A PT, Logic and REAPER user walk into a bar. They interface with the barman in different ways and get three beers with a side-order of reverb.
The PT and Logic users get passionate about the best way to compress their drinks. The REAPER user drinks his and his burp sounds like it's in a concert hall."
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #491
sillyrobin

Default Need a Browser like Maschine

If we can put all are presets in 1 place and flip through them like Maschine's browser that would be amazing.

I think people have been waiting for something like this for some time. I hope its because they want to pull every 1 into buying Reaper 6. Because I would defiantly buy Reap 6 if it had it. But as of right now I must say I wouldn't buy Reaper 6 if it didn't have it. If reaper never changed from here I would be just as happy. But this would be the icing on the cake that would make me buy Reaper again.
sillyrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #492
Diki Ross

I'd love to see a more simplified MIDI implementation when it comes to SMF import and assigning the single channel tracks to the channel of the data.

For live musicians, many of us still rely on hardware keyboards, not VSTi's, when gigging. Reaper utterly complicates things and slows work down, having to laboriously hand set every MIDI channel output for every track, when imported SMF's have a strict one channel per track (if a Type1 file) limit, and the channel info is embedded in the file.

Same when it comes to editing. Automatically assigning pencil tools and the keyboard display the the output channel of the track would save time and confusion.

Something along the lines of an 'Easy SMF Import' option would be great, automatically assigning the imported tracks to their native channel output, assigning the initial Volume and Pan values to the track mixer, etc...

I'd also like an integrated (no more scripted add-ons) tempo detection system. I get multis with click tracks, and it is a hell of a complicated system to derive a simple tempo map from a straightforward audio click track. It's a pretty common scenario. Be nice if Reaper made it less of a faff to get sync...
Diki Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #493
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diki Ross View Post
For live musicians, many of us still rely on hardware keyboards, not VSTi's,
Hmm.
"Hardware keyboards" of course do have advantages "on stage", over using a computer for sound generation.

But If there is a computer "on stage" that is necessary for the performance, anyway, it makes a lot of sense to attach the keyboard(s) via Midi and (with the help of Reaper) use software for all sound generation. This setup is a lot more versatile than a hybrid setup.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:45 PM   #494
Never

Soooo.....sorry if someone
said it already...if they did,
then +1 dañņiţ!!....Ok...
could we pretty please...for
pete's sake.....have multiple
...or at least two....instances
of the mixer window...independent
from each other...please...seems
so silly to even ask for..but geez
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:52 PM   #495
Never

Quote:
I'd love to see a more simplified MIDI implementation when it comes to SMF import and assigning the single channel tracks to the channel of the data.

For live musicians, many of us still rely on hardware keyboards, not VSTi's, when gigging. Reaper utterly complicates things and slows work down, having to laboriously hand set every MIDI channel output for every track, when imported SMF's have a strict one channel per track (if a Type1 file) limit, and the channel info is embedded in the file.

Same when it comes to editing. Automatically assigning pencil tools and the keyboard display the the output channel of the track would save time and confusion.

Something along the lines of an 'Easy SMF Import' option would be great, automatically assigning the imported tracks to their native channel output, assigning the initial Volume and Pan values to the track mixer, etc...

I'd also like an integrated (no more scripted add-ons) tempo detection system. I get multis with click tracks, and it is a hell of a complicated system to derive a simple tempo map from a straightforward audio click track. It's a pretty common scenario. Be nice if Reaper made it less of a faff to get sync...
I apologize...and all respect given sir...but i do not understand why in the
heck people who create multis and rythms and rap beats, etc....dont just put
the frikkin bpm right in the name of the
file.....:'Trap_Bt_q4_140_BPM'
And i see what you are saying about ass-
igning midi ch.'s, etc...in PT
you can select 16 tracks, hold shift-alt-ctrl, and select midi ch 1 on the first track, and all the rest will auto increment..same thing with sends, etc.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #496
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Hmm.
"Hardware keyboards" of course do have advantages "on stage", over using a computer for sound generation.

But If there is a computer "on stage" that is necessary for the performance, anyway, it makes a lot of sense to attach the keyboard(s) via Midi and (with the help of Reaper) use software for all sound generation. This setup is a lot more versatile than a hybrid setup.

-Michael
I'm going to be doing live gigs soon with a band that uses a computer on stage, but with computer controlled lights, and some rack mount midi synths. I'll have headphones on while playing drums to a click track that will sync the lights, and additional sounds from the rack mount midi hardware.

They are currently using some software I'm unfamiliar with "Live Show" or something like that. Anyway, I'm wondering if Reaper might be able to do what that software does, which is more or less a play list, with the ability to easily insert a song, like in the case of a request.

Since I know Reaper so well, I'd be able to help them get it all setup and tweaked for live, plus I could bring files home to tweak on my own time.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #497
cool

GUI improvement and smooth visualisation.
Better appearance of the FX and sends/return windows.
Better notes visualisation in the MIDI Editor view.
cool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #498
gkurtenbach

Default add automatic tempo detection

Reaper needs to add automatic tempo detection:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/26/1...hromaverb-namm

Then also add improved tempo adjustment tools and behavior so you can adjust and correct the detected tempos.

If some DAW truly automates this to be like a seasoned drummer who can compensate for other players poor timing, plus has tools to adjust where the tempo goes "off", I think it would be great value to many.

If some DAW really nailed this I can imagine a future where we say "remember in the old days you had to play along with that annoying click and the music did't breathe and everything sounded like disco classics? That was crazy!"

I hope Reaper ends up on the right side of history and not be "one of those obsolete old grid based DAWs". That would break my heart.
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #499
Diki Ross

If you want to edit an SMF, for starters it is a strictly limited 16 channel format. There's no such thing as a 32-channel MIDI file (you can have multiple tracks, but they all share the 16 channels).

This makes it obvious that, when importing SMF's, Reaper should automatically assign MIDI channel output assignments to the channels of the exploded tracks. Having to add them yourself, one by one, seems such an unnecessary step. Particularly with imported MIDI for specific keyboards, there is often a ton of channel specific sysex, so each channel needs to send on the original channel of the SMF (so the sysex affects the right Part),

There's nothing to stop you reassigning MIDI channel after the import if you have specific needs that vary from the original, but default behavior ought to have each track in Reaper already assigned to your MIDI interface and set to record and transmit on the channel set in the SMF.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #500
Diki Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Hmm.

-Michael
I have always distrusted computers on stage simply because of the polyphony issues. Hardware guarantees 128 voices of polyphony (or whatever your hardware keyboard specs out at - some newer ones go as high as 512 voices), but software polyphony is dynamic, depending on load and sound generation type.

An overage in playing on a hardware keyboard simply results in usually the oldest (or quietest, it depends on the algorithm each keyboard uses) played voice getting cut off. An overage in a computer system can result in all kinds of nastiness on stage, up to and including a total crash.

I'd rather spare the audience that!
Old 02-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #501
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I hope Reaper ends up on the right side of history and not be "one of those obsolete old grid based DAWs".
Lol--at least with reaper the grid can be erased__ so 1 must then use the force...the cosmic pulses.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #502
mschnell

Quote:
Hardware guarantees 128 voices of polyphony (or whatever your hardware keyboard specs out at
I use (e.g) Kontakt based Piano-type instruments and VB3. Those provide full polyphony. out of the box.

Also no problem when using both keyboards at the same time and have the computer generate two fully polyphonic sounds.

-Michael
Old 02-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #503
mamazai

Basic of the routing; send and track output must use separate path, not the same. Thus the bus faders controls the sends of the receive tracks easily. Reaper needs revolution. Even before 6th version, I know I want a lot but most important for making a pro mix.

Last edited by mamazai; 02-06-2018 at 12:48 PM.
mamazai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #504
soundguy84

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but PUUHHHLLLEAAAZZEEE can we get more than 6db boost on envelopes?

It has nothing to do with poor gain structure and everything to do with dynamic automation, in particular when I use VCAs for my automation. This is one of the biggest workflow hinderances for me when mixing in Reaper currently. Still night and day better than mixing in PT (for me anyway), but I can't imagine this would be very difficult to implement. Or maybe it is, me not being a coder I have no idea...but it would be fantastic to have at least +12db boost on envelopes
soundguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #505
RobinGShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy84 View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but PUUHHHLLLEAAAZZEEE can we get more than 6db boost on envelopes?

It has nothing to do with poor gain structure and everything to do with dynamic automation, in particular when I use VCAs for my automation. This is one of the biggest workflow hinderances for me when mixing in Reaper currently. Still night and day better than mixing in PT (for me anyway), but I can't imagine this would be very difficult to implement. Or maybe it is, me not being a coder I have no idea...but it would be fantastic to have at least +12db boost on envelopes
This was already implemented ages ago:

RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #506
brynolf

Something resembling actual touch screen support. At least a bit of pinch zooming...
brynolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #507
soundguy84

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post

That's embarrassing. 1000 apologies! Thanks for letting me know and my one beef with Reaper has been squashed
soundguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #508
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyrobin View Post
If we can put all are presets in 1 place and flip through them like Maschine's browser that would be amazing.

I think people have been waiting for something like this for some time. I hope its because they want to pull every 1 into buying Reaper 6. Because I would defiantly buy Reap 6 if it had it. But as of right now I must say I wouldn't buy Reaper 6 if it didn't have it. If reaper never changed from here I would be just as happy. But this would be the icing on the cake that would make me buy Reaper again.
This might not be quite what you want, but it's worth looking at:

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=195912
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #509
Sound asleep

You know what else I'd like to see in reaper 6? Idk if this is possible to do sort of easily, but I would LOVE to have the FX folders a little bit more customizable. Being able to order them would be one thing that would be great. Maybe that would be too much work, but at least being able to remove the VST(i)(3) tag would be nice, and they could be sorted alphabetically after that and we can add our own first letter or number or whatever to order them after that. But that would kind of suck for re-organizing. So really a system that we can order and it would remember, would be really ideal for me.

And also, I would love to have nested folders. I wouldn't mind having like a \dynamics\multiband. Or \dynamics\Native Instruments\ and allow multiple instances the way it is now. So, I can have my favourite go-to plugins in the main dynamics folder, and then more specialized or more rarely used ones in deeper folders.

I would also like to be able to get rid of all the default folders it comes with. I don't think that's possible right now. Maybe it is, but as I recall we can only add new ones, and they are at the bottom of the list.

I think something like that would be really cool, and would give you fast access to all your favourite go-to plugins, and also the option to easily navigate through what you have to maybe try some you don't try so often.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #510
Sound asleep

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks guys. I'm glad you mentioned that, because even though I've been through the options of reaper about a thousand times, it never clicked for me I could do that, and that's actually gonna be pretty useful to me lol. So I'm glad you missed it, and requested it.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #511
ChristopherT

I would be SO happy to not have to marquee everything for editing.

To be able to use the cursor to drag and select a portion of an item to copy,split, etc would speed up my workflow and alleviate wrist fatigue...

Grouping like ProTools would make editing, splitting, pasting items and automation simple and fast.

Both of these functions really test my patience with Reaper, and on bigger editing projects, I succumb to going back to ProTools (not happy )

And multichannel surround is clunky - so I go elsewhere for that too...
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #512
airon

Quote:
That's embarrassing. 1000 apologies! Thanks for letting me know and my one beef with Reaper has been squashed
That's normal. Happened to everyone here. Live and learn and that sort of thing .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #513
mschnell

That is what such forums are inverted for

-Michael
Old 02-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #514
Kleudde

I was a big fan of cool edit pro and still use it for editing sometime since it's so easy.
I always loved the amplify effect from it, would be so great to have it in reaper.
A way to amplify the volume or reduce it as much as we want ... (unless we can already but i haven't found how? All I know from reaper is the little knob for each track...)
Kleudde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #515
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleudde View Post
I was a big fan of cool edit pro and still use it for editing sometime since it's so easy.
I always loved the amplify effect from it, would be so great to have it in reaper.
A way to amplify the volume or reduce it as much as we want ... (unless we can already but i haven't found how? All I know from reaper is the little knob for each track...)
Every item has two volume controls. Item and take volume. Search for item volume in the preferences and press F2 to find the take volume.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:47 AM   #516
Flavio

An advance TTF editor Izotope RX like
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:36 AM   #517
mschnell

Did you try the spectral great edit feature ?

-Michael
Old 02-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #518
Kleudde

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Every item has two volume controls. Item and take volume. Search for item volume in the preferences and press F2 to find the take volume.
Good to know! Thank you!
Kleudde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #519
giankam

Can't wait to see what the new R6 theme will look alike
giankam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #520
Handyman

Full Retina high dpi support for Mac computers.

Actually, it's difficult to tell from forum messages here if this support is already in place, or not. I've read that it is, that it isn't, and that it's partially implemented. I don't yet have a retina Mac, so I can't see this for myself, but will be buying one soon.

If Reaper is fuzzy on a brand new Retina 27" screen, I will be seriously disappointed. Please tell me it's already implemented!
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote