Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-31-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
Warrior
Human being with feelings

Default Switch Between OS X Versions To Continue Ability to Run PT9?

I am currently running on OS X 10.10.5 and I am considering upgrading to the latest OS X.

I use Reaper 99% of the time but I want to be able to use PT's for a few of it's VI's such as Strike, etc.

If I upgrade to OS X Sierra, I will no longer be able to use PT's unless I upgrade it, which I don't want to pay for.

Is it possible (and easy to do) to run 2 different versions of OS X?
Reaper 6.13/64 - Audient iD14 Interface-Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 16GB RAM 256GB SSD (OS,apps) & 1TB HDD (data), OS X 10.14.6 - Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz i7, 4 GB RAM, 256GB SSD (OS,apps) OS X 10.13.6 - Presonus Faderport
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
Vasily

some guys do it multi-boot way. you need to have a bootable partition per every system.
there are some docs on the process like this: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...n-mac-3659676/

Last edited by Vasily; 12-31-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
serr

You just need a separate drive volume partition for each OS install. It's easy peasy. And you can never have too many OS drives lying around.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
Warrior

Would the easiest way to set this up be installing current OS X versionto an external drive that I would boot from when I need to run PT’s and upgrade my current system to latest?

If so, would PT’s remain installed in its current location?

I’m using Carbon Copy Cloner as my backup software - just in case you needed to know.
Reaper 6.13/64 - Audient iD14 Interface-Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 16GB RAM 256GB SSD (OS,apps) & 1TB HDD (data), OS X 10.14.6 - Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz i7, 4 GB RAM, 256GB SSD (OS,apps) OS X 10.13.6 - Presonus Faderport
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Would the easiest way to set this up be installing current OS X versionto an external drive that I would boot from when I need to run PT’s and upgrade my current system to latest?

If so, would PT’s remain installed in its current location?

I’m using Carbon Copy Cloner as my backup software - just in case you needed to know.
If it's just an occasional use thing and any performance hit doesn't matter, then parking the 2nd system on an external drive might be fine. If you want both/all systems to be decent performance running on an SSD, then partition your SSD to accommodate. (CCC your current main system to an external or a free data drive partition. Boot it to verify. Wipe/format/partition the SSD. CCC your system back to one of the partitions. Install the 2nd system on its partition.)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote