Old 05-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
pianowillbebach
Human being with feelings

Default Experiences with Scanscore Anyone?

(Hopefully this is the right thread to post this in; I wasn't entirely sure.)

Does anyone of you know ScanScore? Is it worth the money? I just received a $20 voucher for it, but I don't know if it's a good deal. The product demo looks nice and it seems to do the job. But in the demo you can't export, so I don't know if it would work with things like musescore. https://scan-score.com/en/
pianowillbebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
pianowillbebach

In case this is helpful to anyone, I went ahead and tried scanscore. It's a useful tool for making the editing/uploading process go faster. Essentially, you scan in your music (just like other tools) and then it lets you edit any mistakes (thank God) and then you can export it to other notation tools
Old 05-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
androo

Please post back as you gain some experience with it. I wonder what the error rate will be. Older, open-source scan-to-staff software was very finicky and really struggled with the basics. This program is pretty pricey and has kind of weird seeming limitations on the number of lines it'll transcribe as a way to make a price break; plus windows only. I hope it's good!
androo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
pianowillbebach

Quote:
Originally Posted by androo View Post
Please post back as you gain some experience with it. I wonder what the error rate will be. Older, open-source scan-to-staff software was very finicky and really struggled with the basics. This program is pretty pricey and has kind of weird seeming limitations on the number of lines it'll transcribe as a way to make a price break; plus windows only. I hope it's good!

Time for a little update! The error rate seems similar to other programs. Ranging from about 50-75% accuracy on average (at least for me). The line number limitation can get in the way a little, but I just upload music into separate files if I need to (and then export and combine later). My favorite feature is still the ability to edit what has been scanned in BEFORE exporting.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
bjohn

Good to know. I've tried a few of these programs over the years and their success rate was always abysmal and I just ended up copying everything by hand. I even tried using StaffPad on my Microsoft Surface tablet to make the copying process go more quickly but that was an even bigger disaster -- it took me six hours to transcribe a half page of music on StaffPad because it constantly went haywire and didn't recognize 80-90% of what I entered. Waste of money. Now I just retranscribe in abc notation.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote