COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 01-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
davewah
Human being with feelings

Default A question about SOLO

Hello, Is there a way to solo a track in the master of Reaper and leave all Aux buses open on the un-soloed tracks.
To put it another way.....how does one solo a track during a recording session
Without muting the monitor busses? Thank you
Old 01-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Fergler

You could use a folder to mute all the other tracks, rather than soloing. E.g.

Tempo track
Monitor track
Guitar track
Folder:
The rest of the song
Old 01-07-2015, 05:38 AM   #3
davewah

Thanks Fergler, i'll givethat a go. I've never used or investigated folder tracks.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
davewah

Hi Fergler, had a look at folder tracks, no joy there.

An example of the problem.......Monday I had 5 musicians in the live room all on headphones. Percussion, Double Bass, Gtr, Trombone and Voice. Each with their own headphone mix sent via a submix group sent to a discreet hardware output of the sound card. All good!

Problem is that when I solo a track in the control room then all sends to the headphone mix subgroups that come from tracks that are not soloed also get muted.

So if in the middle of a performance I wish to examine the double bass mic on it's own. Then when I do so by hitting the solo button all channels apart from the double bass mic will drop out of the headphone mixes.

I'm beginning to suspect that Reaper cannot infact perform in the classic hardware desk way of multi track recording. Mmmmmm!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #5
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewah View Post
Hi Fergler, had a look at folder tracks, no joy there.

An example of the problem.......Monday I had 5 musicians in the live room all on headphones. Percussion, Double Bass, Gtr, Trombone and Voice. Each with their own headphone mix sent via a submix group sent to a discreet hardware output of the sound card. All good!

Problem is that when I solo a track in the control room then all sends to the headphone mix subgroups that come from tracks that are not soloed also get muted.

So if in the middle of a performance I wish to examine the double bass mic on it's own. Then when I do so by hitting the solo button all channels apart from the double bass mic will drop out of the headphone mixes.

I'm beginning to suspect that Reaper cannot infact perform in the classic hardware desk way of multi track recording. Mmmmmm!
This set up will work for you:

http://puu.sh/ec9gv/67e8c92844.png

The headphone mix stays in Solo Defeat mode, which allows it to always be playing (including all routing into the track) regardless of other solos going on. If you mute other tracks that are being sent to the headphone mix, they will not send, however, so the only caveat is you must solo 4 tracks to ignore 1, in this case. This should fit your workflow anyway.

Note Master/Parent send tickbox is unchecked in the IO window, and it's set to hardware output channels 3 and 4 (or whatever you are using for a headphone mix). Send whatever tracks you want your musicians to hear to this headphone mix and control levels using the send levels.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:21 AM   #6
davewah

Default Fabulous!

Just had a chance to try out"solo defeat" works perfectly!

So Simple!

If your ever in Scotland I'll buy you a pint, thanks Fergler