Old 10-30-2017, 06:18 AM   #121
ovnis
Human being with feelings

A snapshot which works (current one has an issue with send envelopes) !

Possibility to have envelopes inside midi editor which manage CC.

Possibility to edit midi notes (via script or contextuel menu) which are not inside activated midi item.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:21 AM   #122
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarsk View Post
[*]Native Linux support
you can download a build on LoL.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #123
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarsk View Post
Native Linux support
Have you checked the pre-release subforum?
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #124
andyp24

Thought of another one (has been suggested before):

Auto Purge of rpp-baks (eg only keep last 10 or number selected in preferences)

Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #125
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
Auto Purge of rpp-baks (eg only keep last 10 or number selected in preferences)
Not sexy enough FR for v6
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #126
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksnowy View Post
Input Monitoring without the need to record arm.
Set tcp tracks to "record monitoring: auto" by default. If you have a sound source plugged in, you will hear it regrdless.

Works for me.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #127
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Set tcp tracks to "record monitoring: auto" by default. If you have a sound source plugged in, you will hear it regrdless.

Works for me.
You still need to arm it to hear it, which i agree is counter intuitive. They have replaced this with "Record disable (inp mon only)"
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #128
RobU

A tree view in the media explorer

The ability to bring a running script to the front. We can select running scripts from the Actions menu but that doesn't appear to do anything (?)

A track delay plugin that works with midi or audio, to shift the track contents either milliseconds or samples (selectable) backwards and forwards in time.

ReaSamplOmatic6000 - multi-samples, slicing, velocity layer switching, round-robin.

Metronome, and Snap/Grid settings windows that remember their on-screen position - these two insist on opening hard against the left edge of the screen - which is great if you use the standard 'main' toolbar, a pita if you don't. -- Also, why does the snap/grid window stay open when it loses focus, but the metronome window does not ? Actually, most of the nitpicks in Dstruct's casa de nitpicks...

By 5.70, please
Old 10-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #129
andyp24

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Not sexy enough FR for v6
Yeah, that's fine - fix it before then!
:-)
Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:01 PM   #130
Nana

Support for Windows 32bit AND 64bit shall be continued, even Windows 7 and XP, because these two are just way better for music or media production than 8.x or 10 onwards.

My music production system is an island, as anyway every professional system should be, for obvious reasons. So who cares for the pest from internet? So who needs cloudcortanaspyuserexperienceservicefu$$ry in the studio? And what could be the reason to change a powerful OS to a crippled new one?

M$ did and will freak up any real-time capabilities even more in future, so if you are going to run Reaper on upcoming Windows 10+, you'll need a 64 core I9 with 8GHz and 128GB RAM minimum, and still be able to use just 3 VST and one JS simultaneously.... absolutely without MIDI, for sure. MIDI will be dropped by M$ altogether in future, see what happened with the last NOPgrades already.

.oO( Should I have tagged the last paragraph as ironic, or are there more facts in it, than could be tolerated? )
Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #131
Archimedes

Default Upload data in the event of crashes

On restart from crash,
(a) Upload the system configuration
(b) Upload the crash dump file
(c) If UNDO is enabled, upload the last UNDO file
(d) If Backups are enabled, upload the last backup file
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #132
Archimedes

Default Rendering & Robust render related preferences

(1) (see preceding post)

(2) In addition to existing default paths in preferences => General => Paths
(a) Specify defaults for rendering stems
(b) When specified, render master to default render location, and stems to default
stem location

(3) In the Render dialog, Render as
(a) Post Fader, Post pan, with Sends
(b) Post Fader, Post pan, no sends
(c) Post Fader, Pre Pan, with Sends
(d) Post Fader, Pre Pan, no sends
(e) Prefader, pre-pan, with FX
(f) Prefader, pre-pan, pre FX

I imagine automated items complicate this list - there might be many other possibilities. So rather than a bunch of check boxes in the dialog, perhaps a better approach is a matrix, in the same form as Track Manager, that allows the user to select options for each track when rendering stems

(4) When Rendering Stems, and the rendered item(s) are to be included in the project, and the stems were previously rendered and currently occupy tracks that were created to contain them, and the user chooses "Overwrite", then delete the media item in the appropriate track, delete the previously rendered file, render the new stem(s), and include them in the tracks that previously contained the previously rendered stems.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #133
Archimedes

Default Spectral Editing

I was not, nor am I a fan of the Spectral features in Reaper. I use Adobe Audition for spectral editing, and it is far superior to the current scope of Reaper's implementation. However, since you've gone ahead and undertaken this, you might as well add features similar to Adobe Audition, such as the spot healing brush, the ability to view the waveform above the spectral display, etc., to your implementation of Spectral Editing.

Last edited by Archimedes; 10-30-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #134
Archimedes

Default Text Box Parser

For text boxes that take dB as input (Send Volume, some of the Reaper FX such as Hysteresis in ReaGate, others) ignore duplicate leading signs and just take the sign closest to the real number being hand-entered by the user. On pressing Return, truncate the expression such that any duplicate leading signs or other garbage are eliminated. And don't apply the value until after a valid value has been entered and Return has been pressed. I've noticed that, while changing the value, and before pressing return, the value I'm entering will be applied. If I'm wearing headphones and have deleted the contents of that text box and am thinking about the value I want to enter, the volume on a send goes to 0 dB and it blows my ears out. This is not good.

Last edited by Archimedes; 11-04-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #135
Archimedes

Default MIDI Editor

There is still an issue with (for instance) a velocity bar up against the left most margin of the viewable area of the MIDI editor. I have not been able to touch/hover/select that bar without scrolling the corresponding note further to the body of the editor. If a bar in the envelope area is visible, it should be selectable and able to be altered.

For parameter envelopes in general, it would be nice to either change the scale from a linear scale to something else so that envelope points below -30 dB or so can be easily viewed and manipulated.

For Pitch changes on MIDI items, I have not found a way to return to 0 change without adding a bar, going to properties, and setting the value to 8192. If I right click on the bar, it vanishes. That's unexpected. So I <ctrl>-F2 and see the Value text box at 8192, or some integer. Why isn't this expressed in cents, or octaves, or some other measure? I would like to see this in +/- cents around 0, with 0 meaning no change in pitch. This entire function needs work, imho.

Last edited by Archimedes; 10-30-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #136
Archimedes

Default Fonts

While most of the fonts are fine, please keep in mind that many users are old. I am one of them, and crap happens when you get old. Eyes take a beating over 60+ years and just don't do what they used to do.

In the Routing matrix, for instance, it's impossible for me to read the labels without a telescope. So I don't use the Routing matrix, which stinks.

So, how about fonts, or some kind of accessibility options in selected places - such as those that tend to be busy with data.

You'll get old too. And you won't be able to see, or hear then like you do now.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #137
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
You'll get old too. And you won't be able to see, or hear then like you do now.
I guess that is when they will be fixed

(joking, but accessibility is very important and should be a priority now that the Reaper base is so large and well established)
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:46 PM   #138
Archimedes

Default Audio Item Metadata

For all tracks that have audio data, including comps/clips, etc.,

I would like to know the peak and RMS values (over the duration of the entire clip, or over the duration of the selected area) of that item. I would like the option of choosing between the file name for that item, or the metadata for that item, in the text line that appears above it.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #139
Archimedes

Default Issues with Focus

Beyond my aging eyes, while using the scroll wheel in the sequencer, for instance, suddenly, Reaper surrenders focus. I have to click on a media item, a track panel, or some area within the window to re-establish focus. I haven't figured out where the focus has gone - but this is extremely annoying when I'm rolling along and suddenly my mouse is no longer interacting with the screen. This happens a lot. And hastily I will click the item I'm working on, which, of course, repositions the play cursor - which adds to my frustration.

So, for 6.0, this really needs to get some attention. I'm a bit surprised it hasn't percolated to the top of someone elses list. Perhaps there's something in my configuration that causes this - I don't know.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #140
Archimedes

Default Delayed Sends

I would like to express, in milliseconds, a delay in the send dialog box.

I know there's been some discussion elsewhere on this. I do a lot of work with combinations of outboard gear, live material, in the box material, Foley, etc. Rather than setting up tracks with ReaDelay (and thus increasing my track count), I would rather just specify a delay in the send itself.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #141
chuckwood

What I love about Reaper is the unexpected developments, you never know when your particular 'thing' will get a bit of attention. (That's what she said.)

RS5K is getting a lot of suggestions. I really hope a few of them make it one day. I'm a long time kontakt user but I really only use it for huge sample libraries. RS5K is appealing as a quick and easy creative sampler with benefits like import from arrange button and saving files with project so I would love these things:
TIMESTRETCH. All those lovely timestretch algos available and no timestretch available within the sampler.
SPECTRAL EDITING from within RS5K. Now we have it in the arrange, why not?
FILTERS. Getting greedy now.

REAVERB- import from arrange button (or drag and drop at least). ADSR envelope for IR files.

(A few of the reaplugs in general would really benefit from a few improvements, ReaEq decramped filters or oversampling option. ReaDelay coarse and fine tuning of the delay times and maybe a resonance control for the filters for example.)

Modular view for routing plugins like in metaplugin or Mux. OK, so this one would obviously take a lot of work but it would be a massive workflow boost for me.
chuckwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #142
lolilol1975

Right now, Reaper has everything I'll ever need and a lot more, so I'll pass.

But ED ideas seemed good to me.
Oh and I wonder if the introduction of self learning (read reinforcement neuronal networks like TensorFlow) algorithms in audio would do good.
In particular in areas like time stretching, pitch shifting, tempo/beat marking, intelligent compression and limiting, spectral editing, audio to MIDI, etc. That is next level audio processing where there is a gain in automation rather than tedious manual work, and possible gain in transparency and reduction of artefacts.

If it did, Reaper would be the first and most unique program to do that and Cockos would acquire a unique expertise in the audio world. Modern AIs are being extremely successful in other areas normally attributed to human intelligence. It might even make other packages completely redundant. But it's very much a lot of research and trial and error I guess, so some long term development. But Cockos has been pretty successful at implementing big complex features like notation (which I thought wrongly was too big an effort that would distract from more urgent tasks) or automation items, so we can dream.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 10-31-2017 at 01:12 AM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #143
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
Then it is time to start thinking along 'big plan' lines. Well, at least you guys could be thinking strategically.

At the moment, Reaper has a magnificent user-base and if user-base were the only measure of success, you are steadily moving up on market leaders Logic and CuBase.

The A-for-V DAW market will be up for grabs pretty soon, as Yamaha insists that CuBase stays well away from A-for-V as they are completely convinced that, that is reserved for Nuendo. They assume or hope, that when/if Avid fails, the AV market will obligingly move over to Nuendo. (Were that to be true, they'd be doing it already - and they ain't, largely because Nuendo is almost as expensive as PT and for every tiny thing, such as stretching dialog to match lips, or sync'ing Foleys, one has to open an edit window.)

That is a gap in the market that Reaper could step into (and has already for many of us!) The 'only' problem is the absurdly conservative attitude of the older A-for-V community. Spiritually, they still live in a world of Steenbeck editing tables and even refer to dialog replacement as 'looping'. Some time (around 49BC) they discovered ISDN and ProTools and fight tooth-and-nail to hang on to those outdated ways of working.

Put bluntly, there is no point trying to get the so-called 'top professional market' to move. They live in a world of paper cue sheets and on-screen lip-sync'ing and they'll only move to faster and more fluent methods, when those tools are just no longer there. (Given the paper-shuffling and renewed searches for the elusive money-tree going on at Avid, prior to Q3 results in a week or so, we may not have to wait too long!)

Bubbling under the prestige film & TV market is a far larger market of small facilities, semi-pro users and Third World facilities, such as the NollyWood scene. These people have to use whatever is fastest, cheapest and best. This ranges from corporate videos shot on a DSLR, through to indi film makers, using Blackmagic-Design or hired Arri Alexas and proper grips.

These people would really appreciate some AV tools, such as wipe/cue bars and on-screen dialog.

One way to achieve this, would be to create an informal alliance with a video company that is similar (structure/size) to Cockos and has a similar product, but in video. For my money, that would be the little UK company FXHome. A funky little, young, five-man team that puts out the package 'Hit-Film' that (IMO) is the video/film answer to Reaper - and their marketing approach is not a million miles away from yours! https://hitfilm.com/about

The other major step forward for Reaper is spectral editing and this will open up whole new avenues for the creation of new and exciting tools - but you know that already!
LOL I'm sure this blurb bored Justin and Schwa to death. The last thing they need is thinking "strategically" like this.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 10-30-2017 at 10:04 PM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #144
Quasar

I just want to be able to natively draw CC events in the MIDI editor similar to the way envelopes work, where you can create edit points and draw lines, bezier curves etc., change the positions of the lines by dragging and not have to deal with those 0-127 vertical bars.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:50 PM   #145
tombuur

I hope they will improve the GUI for dialogue boxes, stock plugins etc. As soon as you venture outside of the Reaper's main GUI the look is not only very simple, but also gives the impression of a prototype quickly thrown together.

Does it work? Yes. Then why change it? Because it gives the impression of an unfinished and cheap product which may prevent new users from joining this fantastic DAW and its associated user group. Plus personally I feel more inspired when working in a good looking environment. Please, extend themes to cover this part of Reaper too.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:34 PM   #146
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
As soon as you venture outside of the Reaper's main GUI the look is not only very simple...
You can switch off this feature in the config menu.
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:35 AM   #147
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
I would like to express, in milliseconds, a delay in the send dialog box.
And eq on sends I could like.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:37 AM   #148
G-Sun

Even though I'd like everyone to agree with me on my wishes for v.6,
this thread really shows the diversity of Reaper usage and priorities. Cool
Old 10-31-2017, 01:00 AM   #149
mschnell

... Making FR for many additional built-in features questionable and drives the demand for decently manageable (3rd party) add-ons.

-Michael
Old 10-31-2017, 01:36 AM   #150
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
... Making FR for many additional built-in features questionable and drives the demand for decently manageable (3rd party) add-ons.

-Michael
Yes, I'd say this shows the need to:
- Focus on core functionality
- Continue/develop support for 3rd part extension.
- Native not-so-core features should focus on quality, not quantity.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:26 AM   #151
fundorin
Banned

Modern interface. All those lists and menus look like they came directly from win95.

Ability to resize toolbar buttons (triple, quadriple size)

More interaction for toolbar buttons/elements, like peak display, count number and flashing for metronome, current action status (current grid size, current note length). This may be useful for nested folders in toolbars.
Also customizable pots would be nice addition to the toolbars.

Ability to hide menu toolbar with toggle for both fullscreen and window mode. Add an action to toggle it and, of cause, toggle it with single press of the Alt key.

Customizable nested toolbars like in Bitwig 2.

More friendly interface for those, who uses touchscreen. Maybe, ability to add hotkeys (Ctrl, Alt, Shift and their combinations) into custom toolbar in Reaper. Scrollable lists.

Scripts for customizing midi controllers with midi feedback. (<THIS!)

Ability to show wave items under notes in midi editor when different types of items are selected.

All GUI elements detachable.

Lua script's gui with a arbitrary free form (not square windows only)

Access from Lua scripts to midi ports/commands, including sysex and vice versa (not virtual keyboard).

Plugin thumbnails in FX windows.

Separate track inspector, so it would be possible to simultaneously open inspector and mixer.

Automatically make items bigger when zooming out, if space is allowing it, like in Logic. When zoomed out, it's nearly impossible to drag/copy a kick, snare or a single note item across the project. They're too narrow.

As for me, I'm happy with Reaper features, related to midi/audio.
But I feel like there's a lot of improvement could be made in controllers/gui/usability area, so Reaper won't be "a DAW for geeks", but a comfortable workspace for creativity.

Last edited by fundorin; 10-31-2017 at 05:04 AM.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:03 AM   #152
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundorin View Post
Modern interface. All those lists and menus look like they came directly from win95.

Ability to resize toolbar buttons (triple, quadriple size)
Even though many agree, people are sensitive to this lol themers and GUI gurus have a clear plan moving forward and we just have to deal. I'm all for clean and minimal but I mean at some point lol maybe WALTER will pave the way eventually

Colors, themes, toolbars, OS window frames, it all adds up to the perception of Reaper. It's just how we humans think

Maybe someday, but I think Reaper 6 will focus on under the hood stuff and features. Not GUI theme pretty looking stuff. But we can wish!
Old 10-31-2017, 03:55 AM   #153
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Colors, themes, toolbars, OS window frames, it all adds up to the perception of Reaper. It's just how we humans think
Reaper in DAW world is like Linux in OS world.
It can do much (bash, scripts), but sometimes it just feels ugly, when using it casually.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:12 AM   #154
Eddy

Quote:
Reaper in DAW world is like Linux in OS world.
It can do much (bash, scripts), but sometimes it just feels ugly, when using it casually.
I have seen Reaper called the Linux of DAWs a few times and I think that is fairly correct. I wish Reaper had better usability as well but I think that is very unlikely - I am pretty sure the developers have said they have no interest in usability or user experience or whatever is the term now and that sort of design quality does not seem to be in their skill set.

Shame, but you cant do everything and the customisability goes a long way to getting a good workflow happening
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:00 AM   #155
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
A script without proper description and documentation
equals
a script that is non-existent for most users.

This is also the case for native features and actions.
There's a reason behind the lack of descriptions for scripts. Most of them were made by a personal request from different forum's users. For example, russian forum, where guys like mpl, lil-burn, EUGEN27771, Oleynik fulfill user requests for scripts creation. So, there's no need for descriptions, cause the request itself was self explanatory for that particular user, for whom the script was created.
Forums are the source of a large portion of all ReaPack scripts. Because of that, ReaPack is filled with tons of useful one-trick ponies, which makes navigating through ReaPack a hell of a task.

Quote:
Luckily now we have WT on GUI and Kenny, Jon and others on documentation and user-guidance/tips.
Who is Jon? Maybe you meant "not Kenny"?

Quote:
Shame, but you cant do everything and the customisability goes a long way to getting a good workflow happening
I've tried to show some of my friends/colleagues Reaper and even changed themes, to show the best ones, but regardless of what DAW they were using, they all called Reaper ugly and I can understand them, kinda.
People like Jenna, Rado and Blankfiles have a good vision of how Reaper should look like, but they're limited with current API/Walter possibilities.

Last edited by fundorin; 10-31-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:01 AM   #156
emarsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarsk
Native Linux support
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
you can download a build on LoL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith
Have you checked the pre-release subforum?
"Officially released native Linux support." I thought it was obvious what I meant in this context.

Right now the Linux version is considered "pre-release", "pre-beta", "bleeding edge", "unsupported", and it's carefully hidden under an obscure domain, with no mention and no link - as far as I can tell - on the main site, and even the prohibition to link to it from anywhere. The last time I checked, the Linux build didn't work on my machine, and from the documentation available I assume that JACK is not supported, nor LV2, LADSPA, DSSI, ALSA MIDI.
emarsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:04 AM   #157
cfillion

The Linux version of REAPER does support Jack.

Last edited by cfillion; 10-31-2017 at 05:17 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:41 AM   #158
mschnell

Quote:
ReaPack is filled with tons of useful one-trick ponies, which make navigating through ReaPack a hell of a task.
That is why I think we need a community (and forum) -driven ReaPack repository with "recommended plugins" that are decently tested and feature a decent documentation (in English).

Members of such a forum (e.g. myself) would be inclined to add description, if requested by the developer. As a first act of that kind a decent documentation for the stock JSFX plugins that come with Reaper should be created.

-Michael
Old 10-31-2017, 05:41 AM   #159
G-Sun

Quote:
Who is Jon? Maybe you meant "not Kenny"?
I was thinking of Jon Tidey
and his Reaperblog: http://reaperblog.net/
Old 10-31-2017, 05:46 AM   #160
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
I was thinking of Jon Tidey
and his Reaperblog: http://reaperblog.net/
Sure.