Old 03-24-2014, 02:05 AM   #41
Win Conway
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
how recently have you given it a test drive? i just tried it again and they've made a LOT of progress. i'll concede that it's not a compositor but they don't claim to be and aren't trying to be. the look i just had revealed it to be remarkably versatile and fluid for fx given that it's supposed to be an editing-only application. i also love that it's to be released for all three os's as well: windows, osx, linux. been trying to stick as much as i can with such architecture for a while now and, from what i can tell, lightworks is adding significantly in this arena. would love to see reaper follow.

BabaG
I check it very often, it is light years behind other NLE and compositors unfortunately, even basic versions of Vegas are better under most use cases.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #42
babag

i think that's a bit unfair and hyperbolic (light years) since they don't aim or claim to be a compositor. a bit like criticizing reaper for being a lousy video editor. for my money, they have quite a lot of functionality for a non-compositor. that said, i'm not at all ready to try to use it in a production environment so i'm going only by simple tests and reading things like their forums, specs, and tutorials. very much appreciate your tutorials, btw. thanks.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #43
JosephHighdn

Hi,

does anyone run Reaper x64 in Wine x64 successfully ?

I just wanna know, whether it is possible and if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #44
sonnie

I tried it. Many issues with external VST's and loooong latency.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #45
zoso2

Has anyone seen KX Studio? Ubuntu/Debian repositories. Low latency kernals, custom software and plugins. Looks really awesome and comes with Reaper!

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/
Old 03-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #46
drew
Mobile

I'd say the huge interest in Raspberry Pi, including in education and hobby projects, would make an ARM build a very nice idea!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:54 AM   #47
JosephHighdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso2 View Post
Has anyone seen KX Studio? Ubuntu/Debian repositories. Low latency kernals, custom software and plugins. Looks really awesome and comes with Reaper!

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/
Yeah, if you like Ubuntu ... You can install Reaper and the required tools on other distributions in ~10 minutes

Hmm, so nobody uses 64 bit Reaper on Wine ? I need to know before installing the 32 bit Reaper version and VSTi
Old 03-31-2014, 02:12 AM   #48
moonfiremusic

I remember having it installed here, wasn't very stable.

EDIT: just out of curiosity, what's needed to continue porting REAPER to Linux?
I'm talking from the engineering and coding point of view. I might find it a good project to learn something new.

Last edited by moonfiremusic; 03-31-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:47 AM   #49
Sexan

Btw guys there is a new linux 461 version on dev page.Would like to know are things little better or is it same as before
Old 04-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #50
Jack Winter

FWIW, I run 64b reaper in wine successfully.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 04-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #51
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Btw guys there is a new linux 461 version on dev page.Would like to know are things little better or is it same as before
It's very much the same as before. Still needs someone to port swell to linux..
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 04-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #52
sonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
FWIW, I run 64b reaper in wine successfully.
Latency? Plugin-Issues?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #53
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
Latency? Plugin-Issues?
No issues other than the ones in 32b reaper. I mostly mix and normally work at 256 samples buffer or so, but I can also go down to 64 samples (rme multiface). I do get the occasional xrun (audio dropout) though, depending on how many and what FX I use. But all in all it works more than well enough.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #54
Steven Jay Cohen

Sorry for the cross-post, but I am not sure which of the 2 threads on this is really the right one for the following information:

Since SWELL was already used for the OSX port, has anyone considered using GNUStep along with SWELL for the Linux port?

GNUStep applications can, in many cases, already be compiled to run natively on OSX.

Essentially, I am wondering if there is a way to leverage the existing OSX port of Reaper to build the native Linux version?

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnustep/

AudioTechnica AT4047/SV • Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) • Debian Stable/Testing
Old 10-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #55
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Jay Cohen View Post
Sorry for the cross-post, but I am not sure which of the 2 threads on this is really the right one for the following information:

Since SWELL was already used for the OSX port, has anyone considered using GNUStep along with SWELL for the Linux port?

GNUStep applications can, in many cases, already be compiled to run natively on OSX.

Essentially, I am wondering if there is a way to leverage the existing OSX port of Reaper to build the native Linux version?

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnustep/
Ah yeah, I will look into this, that could be nice and a reasonable amount of work.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #56
alextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephHighdn View Post
Yeah, if you like Ubuntu ... You can install Reaper and the required tools on other distributions in ~10 minutes

Hmm, so nobody uses 64 bit Reaper on Wine ? I need to know before installing the 32 bit Reaper version and VSTi
I run reaper x64 on wine-rt, and debian 64bit. There's a little bit to do getting everything working, but once that's done, it ticks along well here.

Count me in as always though, for a native linux 64bit version.

Alex.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:28 PM   #57
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ah yeah, I will look into this, that could be nice and a reasonable amount of work.
Wonderful!
Old 10-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #58
DuX

That really is good news to hear, especially from you Justin! I'm both speechless and happy as a little boy. Reaper getting at least some Linux treatment is a really good news! Bitwig, EnergyXT, MGA/Loser, MDA plugins, u-he synths... something is happening in the Linux-land for sure. I really hope that Windows 7 is my last Windows I have to use for music production and audio work in general. I could make it boot into Reaper directly [because I don't use it for anything else] as far as I'm concerned and keep it that way until I transfer all my work into Linux some really great and very happy happy day when developers finally realise that normal people use Linux, too, not just "geeks". :P

I'm currently installing Linux Debian x64 to all my clients for their Internet, office and multimedia needs. They really appreciate a fast booting and safe OS without stupid antiviruses, and they still get Windows for audio, of course. Dual-boot. For the most part they're amazed at how Linux looks and works these days [GNOME 3, GNOME classic, and Xfce DEs is my choice for them]. Same as myself. I've been postponing using it full time for a long long time and I finally "cracked" this year. Impatiently waiting for Debian Jessie final and using Wheezy x64 on my main PC [and XPx86] and Jessie testing x64 [and W7x64] on my lappy. :P Also, times of x86 32-bit are really over, finally, I think.

These days it's so easy to install programs on Linux. It's just like pressing the right mouse button on a *.deb file and choosing "open with GDebi package installer"... can't get more easy than that. It's really rare that one should use terminal for stuff like that these days. Only if you choose to. You can do that on Windows, too, for that matter.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 10-10-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #59
triton60

Quote:
Fingers crossed
Old 10-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #60
IXix

Quote:
Pigeons, meet cat. Cat, meet pigeons.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #61
Steven Jay Cohen

Just an FYI for those of you who don't know what GNUStep is...

After Apple, Steve Jobs founded NeXT computers. Their OS was called NeXTStep and later Openstep.

GNUStep started as a project to duplicate Openstep. Since Openstep became the basis of Mac OSX, once they successfully matched Openstep, they started to work on system calls added for the new Mac Operating System.

It is now possible to build an app using GNUStep and compile it down to a native Mac.app.

Some simple examples are:
http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Category:Applications
http://emacs-app.sourceforge.net/
http://fragglet.livejournal.com/18339.html
http://www.gnustep.it/nicola/Applica...stall_osx.html

As you can see, GNUStep never really caught on as a way of getting software onto OSX. That doesn't mean it isn't powerful. It just means that it hasn't been that popular.

Not knowing exactly how SWELL works, I was essentially wondering if GNUStep might be able to leverage the work that has already been done for OSX to compile for any platform that GNUStep runs on.

If it proved just as easy to use SWELL with GNUStep as it was for OSX, it might even be possible to simply maintain the GNUStep port and compile down to OSX from there (since it is essentially just another UNIX).

AudioTechnica AT4047/SV • Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) • Debian Stable/Testing
Old 10-13-2014, 03:42 AM   #62
drew
Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
Pigeons, meet cat. Cat, meet pigeons.
Hah!! Sounds right.

This all sounds rather fun - I'm guessing this doesn't make an ARM build for use on Raspberry Pi any easier/more practical, or does it?

Even a non-GUI version that could parse & process RPPs to renders would facilitate some cool audio building projects for those learning the Pi.. but I appreciate it's not the main focus.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #63
sonnie

I stick with linux for a few months (about 8 now) and I love it. I was Mac user for about 10 years. The only thing I miss now is Reaper.

Since Valve began to port games to Linux, it becomes more and more common. Lightworks also handle Linux very well. Its just about time, wo get a real DAW to it.

Bitwig and Tracktion has already a Linux Version, and they work very well and stable. I wonder why Reaper is just Win and Mac. Of course, there is work to do. But, if money is missing, start a crowdfunding at Kickstarter or somewhere else and lets see, how many really wants this and back you. I'd pay the full price again (and not just because I bought 3 with included 4)

Last edited by sonnie; 10-25-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #64
jimmey

Quote:
I wonder why Reaper is just Win and Mac. Of course, there is work to do. But, if money is missing, start a crowdfunding at Kickstarter or somewhere else and lets see, how many really wants this and back you. I'd pay the full price again (and not just because I bought 3 with included 4)
My guess is the lack of support for 3rd party vsts. If the reaper and vsts were available for Linux I would switch immediately.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:00 AM   #65
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmey View Post
My guess is the lack of support for 3rd party vsts. If the reaper and vsts were available for Linux I would switch immediately.
BINGO

I'd love to use reaper on linux. I have a macbook pro which is soley used for reaper and everything else is done on my linux box. Even video editing is now a breeze with Kdenlive.

I have had windows vsts running on linux years ago but it was a pain to set up.

Maybe some sort of docker container with reaper/wineasio/vst all setup inside would be a solution?

Kind regards
Old 11-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #66
benf

It makes sense for free VST's, but what about the licenced ones ? Is it possible to install and use them with no change from the editors ?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #67
pc999

U-he VSTs are comming to linux

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...?f=31&t=419984

Among other stuff

http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php?search=1&q=&os[]=lin32
Old 11-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #68
alextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmey View Post
The big one for me is Kontakt. But NI have made it quite clear, they're not interested.

We have a little way to go yet, but a native linux reaper will go a long way towards raising the profile of linux as a viable alternative. (Besides the obvious benefits already in use)

Alex.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #69
benf

Yes. I suppose when a major company like Native will begin to bring their product on Linux, the others will begin to really think about it.
For today, as far as I know, Pianoteq is the only out-of-Linux-world instruments that is brought to Linux too.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #70
DuX

I myself would be satisfied with the choice of VSTs on Linux we have already. Like OverTone DSP ones, Harrison ones, and many others. I would miss IK Multimedia ones, but we would all miss something. You just have to research and find alternatives, and there are plethora of plugins on Linux already. As far as samplers go, Reaper's Samplomatic is quite enough for me, and LinuxSampler is pretty good, too. If u-he ports all his synths to Linux, and it seems like they will, I would be all set up to use Linux for music. I'm sure that more developers will port their plugins to Linux, especially after u-he breaks the ice, so to speak. Native Insttruments? Couldn't care less... I only use and like FM7, although I do consider their "Komplete" [and Kontakt and Battery] an excellent bang for the buck, but I just dislike NI in general. I do care about IK, D16, TAL, and ToneBoosters plugins... those would be really nice to have on Linux aside from Reaper's native plugins and all other Linux plugins.

btw. GVST is porting his plugins to OS-X and Linux, too... http://www.gvst.co.uk/

Also, have a lookie here: http://www.linux-vst.com/ MDA plugins have been ported, too. I also own and use EnergyXT both in Linux and Windows. EXT has a good and really usable sampler, far more versatile than Samplomatic. But Samplomatic is great and easy to use for drums and triggering samples.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 11-16-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:44 AM   #71
benf

Apart from searching for valuable alternatives of my actual VSTis (which are for most of them 'true' instruments), I paid for most of them. I dislike Windows and I'll switch to Linux world happily (which I already did on a PC for my everyday life).
So I wait at least for Toontrack and MusicLab Linux products to definitely switch.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #72
blakflag

I know how much work it is porting to another platform but I'd really love it if Reaper could be on Linux as well.

There's so much of a chicken-and-egg problem with audio on Linux because of the interdependence of hosts and plugins.. But I agree something is definitely happening right now.. Feels like there's almost critical mass for a thriving community. Bitwig and U-He are already making a big difference.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #73
sonnie

But there is a need for a "real" DAW. Bitwig, Trackion and Ardour are okay, but not the right thing. I think there is a big market to unlock for linux and audio. But Justin said, that we should better not hope for it: http://www.askjf.com/index.php?q=2998s
Old 12-01-2014, 03:52 AM   #74
fladd

Quote:
But there is a need for a "real" DAW. Bitwig, Trackion and Ardour are okay, but not the right thing. I think there is a big market to unlock for linux and audio.
Most certainly!

Quote:
But Justin said, that we should better not hope for it: http://www.askjf.com/index.php?q=2998s
That is a pity... I am really curious why Cockos has so little interest in a Linux version...
Old 12-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #75
benf

I think it's the same as for big VSTi providers: they're looking at each other, waiting for a big one to move.
On another hand, I understand Justin : for today, it'll be a lot of work for a little payback.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #76
fladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
I think it's the same as for big VSTi providers: they're looking at each other, waiting for a big one to move.
On another hand, I understand Justin : for today, it'll be a lot of work for a little payback.
Sure, but it would pay off in the long run.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #77
musicbynumbers

I'm curious at how much performance difference Linux still can bring to the table in direct comparison to windows 7/8 with a decent sound card.

If it's not more than 30%. I can't see it being worth the massive undertaking as modern PCs with decent soundcards (internal PCI cards at least) can already do 32 samples and boot in 8 seconds and have more power than most people could use. As for stability, no issues here with running my system in the field.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be interested myself. Just it would need to have massive benefits and not just "semi-political" ones
Old 12-02-2014, 06:40 AM   #78
DuX

Massive benefits would be for the world to have and use an operating system that is open source and free instead of proprietary, only US based solutions from firms who can be here now but gone tomorrow. Who can do whatever they want with their OS, too, including selling off to "3rd parties".

I absolutely cringe every time someone says there are no benefits from porting to Linux. One nice day when M$ and the Fruity Cult is gone, the benefits could mean survival. Who knows what can happen to proprietary OSes? Do you think they will be here forever? As far as I know, in capitalism things can change overnight. They can also become unusable like Windows 8, because the decisions about its future are in the hands of a minority of people. Fruity OS has also its great deal of quirks and gripes that all stem from being a proprietary OS controlled by a handful of people.

In my eyes, Linux or BSD, should be the only OS people use on their computers on a grand scale and that's the only OS that will never disappear, and with the least risk of having spyware in it, and it's free to use, just the way it should be for a computer OS that *whole world uses*.

How is it logical that one firm, or two, both US, has control of what OS the computers all over the world run? Somebody rationalise that for me please? If you ask me, it is *utterly insane*. Maybe not for you Amerikkens, but for me it is.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 12-02-2014 at 06:56 AM. Reason: I forgot to put cheers. :)
Old 12-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #79
fladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
Massive benefits would be for the world to have and use an operating system that is open source and free instead of proprietary, only US based solutions from firms who can be here now but gone tomorrow. Who can do whatever they want with their OS, too, including selling off to "3rd parties".

I absolutely cringe every time someone says there are no benefits from porting to Linux. One nice day when M$ and the Fruity Cult is gone, the benefits could mean survival. Or who knows what can happen to proprietary OSes. They can become unusable like Windows 8, because the decisions about its future are in the hands of a minority of people.

In my eyes, Linux or BSD, or any other Open Source OS should be the only OS people use on the grand scale and that's the only OS that will never disappear, and with the least risk of having spyware in it, and it's free to use, just the way it should be for a computer OS that *whole world uses*.

How is it logical that one firm, or two, both US, has control of what OS the computers all over the world run? Somebody rationalise that for me please? If you ask me, it is *utterly insane*. Maybe not for you Amerikkens, but for me it is.
Well said! Couldn't agree more.
If having Reaper running on a free OS is not a benefit, then I don't know what is.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #80
musicbynumbers

Whilst in principle I do applaud that and agree. In reality if it was as simple as having a freely malleable OS used on every day computers, it would surely have not been reserved to being mostly used in servers and as the foundation of some none free operating systems.

I'm all for it really. It just there's more to it than just gradually increasing exponential advertising budgets that have put microsoft, apple and google in the positions they are now.

I haven't got time to ponder on it too much today but.. if those 3 start to really go bad on us, I'm sure an open solution will prevail. Might just take a few more years
Closed Thread