Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 01-04-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
Rangler
Human being with feelings

Default How do you soften Virtual-Playing-Orchestra samples?

They sound so harsh and unrealistic.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
JohnnyMusic

Default Just a few random thoughts

So of course that's a broad question.
Somewhat depends on what you are doing with them, obviously, so If they will be used within a mix with other instruments etc.
With the caveat that I haven't done much of this on strings specifically, but on acoustic guitar, so random thoughts for the harshness: (this can help a little with "unrealistic" too, but if the sample is just inherently unrealistic, it can be more difficult to fix with processing).
-First standard EQ if there are static problems with the tone of the sample that you don't like but is always present.
- Again, if the problem is constant over time, always present, some high shelf perhaps.
- If it just pops its head out on certain passages or higher notes or parts, maybe a dynamic EQ that grabs the harsh frequencies only when they occur or get too loud. so you don't destroy the sound of lower register notes that don't have the problem. I have been using waves F6 for this recently (not on strings though). I'm not sure if any of the reaplugs can do this, but I don't think so. there is reaxcomp the multiband compressor that might work similarly. Also if you search this thread or google, I believe you can sort of make a dynamic EQ with parameter modulation if you don't have one. I don't know how well that works, though.
- then perhaps some analog emulation? Tape, tubes, saturation, console emulations (used subtly so you wouldn't really "hear" it, but it just smooths the harshness a bit).
-Then again depending on the sound you want, some nice reverb or ambience that is treated to be warmer, less harsh (EQ and compress the reverb or what not), just some ideas.
John
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
In the first place it is important to use
the right articulations and attack-rates. This is
important for every Orchestra library.

In VPO you can use the mod-wheel for the attacks
or the volume or both. Try to play (or edit) with
modwheel, different articulations, maybe some
midi-controllers ...
Old 01-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
pbattersby

Quote:
How do you soften Virtual-Playing-Orchestra samples [...] They sound so harsh and unrealistic.
Which samples? All of them? They come from a variety of sources so I wouldn't expect them all to be harsh. Can you post a short example of them sounding harsh when used in a composition? I'm curious if it's a matter of needing volume automation and reverb perhaps. Do they sound harsh to you in the examples on the Virtual Playing Orchestra download page?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
dub tree

Early reflections can add some "distance" to a sound. Anything, close mic'd, is going to sound "harsh" compared to how it would normally sound in the context of an actual physical space. So proper reverb structure (and eq) can really help here.

Automation curves, perhaps linking dynamic layer to a lowpass filter, so that when you ride the dynamic fade up, the filter opens up (so piano is more muffled, and forte is brighter). This is somewhat common for brass libraries, anyway.
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:35 AM   #6
fred garvin

Play a little softer? Use a different articulation? Adjust MIDI volume curve? Little reverb? Pull it back a little in the mix? Little treble/high mid cut? (3k is my favorite least favorite lol) Transient designer? Listen again tomorrow?

I personally found the VPO strings to be capable of being bold and assertive which was exactly what I wanted, you can soften any track much easier than trying to make a weak track strong. A great tip from Jason Lyon was playing with drawing the MIDI volume, really gave a new dimension in the cello particularly of that "bloom" of a cello note played with a bit of crescendo.

Good luck, have fun!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
I personally found the VPO strings to be capable of being bold and assertive which was exactly what I wanted, ...
I personally too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
... you can soften any track much easier than trying to make a weak track strong.
Yes, +1.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
slooky

Quote:
Troll

Nothing wrong with virtual playing orchestra. I find it awesome!
slooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
dub tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
Troll

Nothing wrong with virtual playing orchestra. I find it awesome!
This is dangerous behavior. Just because someone has an opinion that you don't share doesn't make them a troll. This practice can lead to an unhealthy worldview, because you are using a personal attack in order to push your own opinion as fact, and interpreting someone else's misunderstanding as malice.
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:05 PM   #10
slooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub tree View Post
This is dangerous behavior. Just because someone has an opinion that you don't share doesn't make them a troll. This practice can lead to an unhealthy worldview, because you are using a personal attack in order to push your own opinion as fact, and interpreting someone else's misunderstanding as malice.
What else do you call it? Someone asks questions to the Original poster and he doesn't reply? I find that rather unhealthy!
slooky is offline   Reply With Quote