Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
s wave
Human being with feelings

Default what is your BUDGET REAPER recording studio build?

Keeping a budget in mind; say a couple hundred dollars to a thousand or two, what basic hardware and software would your budget REAPER recording studio have? This thread is made to give people that ideas they might want to incorporate into their own build. Feel free to point out flaws or alternative replacement parts. Mine would be something like this...

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 with Wraith Spire Cooler, ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero CPU/Motherboard Bundle $369.98 @ Microcenter (my favorite store) and build out the rest using used or salvaged parts. Making PC cost just over $500+.

Preamp A/D: Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre 8-Channel Mic Pre with ADAT Connectivity around $350 used from E-bay.

POWER CONDITIONER: Furman M-8X2 Merit Series 8 Outlet Power Conditioner and Surge Protector Price: $51.41 & FREE Shipping Amazon (maybe pick up used cheaper one.)

MICS: Shure sm57 $50 to $100 / Se Electronics 2200 Older Large condenser cardiod (with 8db self noise) $150 to $200 used. AKG d8000m $20

MONITORS: maybe KRK RP5G3-NA Rokit 5 Generation 3 Powered Studio Monitor used $200.

HEADPHONES: Nice used pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Sound-Isolating Monitor headphones $50+ craigslist.

MIDI CONTROLLER: Old Yamaha KX61 or KORG - MODEL #848-20 personal keyboard or the like $50.

This studio cost about $1500 usd. Whats your build?

Last edited by s wave; 12-17-2018 at 09:27 PM. Reason: wrong terminology
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
4duhwinnn

A tech recycler's i7 system complete with a terrabyte drive
and 8 gig ram should be under $200, use the $300 difference
for a videocard upgrade, and a second video monitor, and some cool
no-brainer-sale software titles from Plugin Boutique etc
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:59 PM   #3
s wave

Default well said... tech recycle

Yes more prudent to go that direction... (my whole studio cost little over $300) by using slightly older PC parts allows for more money in areas that matter more; like sound card or mics...
Old 11-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
s wave

Default lot of people want budget builds for native linux... your idea?

Please post simple or cheap PC builds REAPER (for linux) your ideas or machines...? help others out thx.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:44 PM   #5
s wave

Default Microcenter

Running deals on Ryzen 7 1700X + Mobo (16 threads) for under $200
Old 12-01-2018, 01:46 AM   #6
zoso2

The Linus Tech Tips youtube channel recently had a series about making a gaming machine from some old $65 Dell machine they got from ebay. By the end of it the thing cost them less than $500 and it would easily be enough for audio production. It's worth checking out. I was almost inspired to replace my cheese-grater MacPro for something similar and so much smaller, but, the aluminum it's made of is worth more than you can sell them for and I'd be loosing money, CPU cores and firewire I/O for all my "ancient" gear.
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
s wave

Default I did a free build...

I put add on craigslist for unwanted AMD parts.
In the end I built a 4 core athlon PC... and turned it into a DAW with dedicated midi controller Fedora/Mint cold swap HD. It works really well.
I use it specifically for recording a lot of soft synths like Bristol and looping soft moogs and DXs into each other for amazing sounds. Reaper and Ardour work well on it.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
4duhwinnn

Sounds like fun. Have you tried the Paulstretch app?
and setting some real long delay taps in rakarrack
or delay plugins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqwaDu2ZinI

Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #9
s wave

Default Paulstretch is great

I agree paulstretch is awesome for ambient sounds! I like using super high sharp pitch/frequency sounds. Nice to add as backgrounds for some midi songs.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #10
lilith93

The paulstretch app is not working very well here for me. I tried version 3.0.0 and version
2.2.2. Version 3.0.0 works ok, version 2.2.2 crashes constantly when I play with it.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #11
s wave

Default I use some effects on Audacity if need be. Try ZynAddSubFX too.

I tend to use an effect like Paulstretch on Audacity (or a more strict audio editor) and will bounce around sounds from Audacity Ardour and Reaper. Sometimes it seems that the specific algorithm used for the effect comes into play on many effects and how that is read by your sound engine/sound card or OS or DAW.

great information can be found here (and interview with its creator) Including how Justin Bieber used it:

http://www.microscopics.co.uk/blog/2...th-paul-nasca/

Worth looking at 'Take on Me A-HA' paulstretch youtube too.

Try his other program! ZynAddSubFX "is a fully featured open source software synthesizer capable of making a countless number of instruments, from some common heard from expensive hardware to interesting sounds that you'll boost to an amazing universe of sounds." (the free Linux/BSD/Source: 3.0.3 Source Code) found here...

http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/
Old 12-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
s wave

Default ZynAddSubFX I use it on LMMS

I will see if it works on Reaper... will post soon about it...
Lilith Great new songs! keep it going.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #13
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I will see if it works on Reaper... will post soon about it...
Lilith Great new songs! keep it going.
Thanks
Old 12-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #14
s wave

Default Reaper/ZynaddSubFX

I can record ZynaddSubFX in Reaper (Audio wav file only so far)
I took ZynaddSubFX & conected it to Jack and directed Reaper track to ZynaddSubFX and it records fine. I am searching for another way for midi.
tc
Old 12-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #15
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I can record ZynaddSubFX in Reaper (Audio wav file only so far)
I took ZynaddSubFX & conected it to Jack and directed Reaper track to ZynaddSubFX and it records fine. I am searching for another way for midi.
tc
What's the problem when using the plugin? There's a vst also.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #16
s wave

Thanks got it sorted out lilith93. Hey I know this is OT but aren't a lot of us here to make a full-time income from the music industry. These 2 following links are related to todays popular music and incredibly insightful and a must for would be musicians song-writers lyricists and producers.

1st is Max Martin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc16Y1gKUDc

2nd is Colin Morris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tjFwcmHy5M

3rd Rick Beato/Max Martin:https://www.youtube.comwatch?v=cBDJDZAo41c
Old 12-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #17
eldiabloramon

Default Reaper on UbuntuStudio 18.04 LTS on 8 core Mac Pro

Hi all! I am new to this board and to reaper. I am in thr process of migrating my projects from logic studio over to Reaper on Linux. Both my audio production Mac Pros are the old 2008 / 2009 systems which are no longer supported by apple, which means i have limited time left on my use of logic studio X and mainstage which i used for build multisample synth patches. I switched over one system to UbuntuStudio 18.04 LTS and reaper as my main daw. It works awesomely. Note my mac pro 8 core i bought used from www.macofalltrades.com for $600 which is dirt cheap for a mac. For mymidi keyboard i am using a korg triton taktile 25 key. It took some playing around with jack to get it recognised but now works flawlessly. For my audio interface, i am using a behringer u-phoria 204hd. I will eventually upgrade to the 404 hd and keep the current one for my second mac pro for video editing. For synths and loops, i am currently converting the apple loops over to aif format and using sftp inbetween systems to transfer to the sample drive on my ubuntu studio system, plus all my old hard ware synth samples. For future synths, i will be buying the U-he Hive for doing EDM type music. I am very glad Reaper has the media browser with auto tempo matching and thr ability to build a loop database of all my loops. That will make the workflow simular to what i had on logic studio. For guitar and bass FX i am using physical pedals. The Digitech RP250 for guitar, and the digitech Bp90 for bass. I perfer the sound of a real pedal to vst guitar effects. Eventually i would also like to get either easy drummer 2 or superior drummer if i can get it working under wine, or if thry produce a native linux vst.
The cool thing has been, that ubuntu studio runs way lighter on the old hardware than OSX el capitan does, so its is able to breath new life into an old mac.

Thanks

- El Diablo Ramon
eldiabloramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiabloramon View Post
I switched over one system to UbuntuStudio 18.04 LTS and reaper as my main daw. It works awesomely.
Quote:
For my audio interface, i am using a behringer u-phoria 204hd. I will eventually upgrade to the 404 hd and keep the current one for my second mac pro for video editing.
I'm using Xubuntu 18.04 with the low latency kernel and it works quite well. What kind of lowest usable latency are you able to get with the U-Phoria? I keep looking at the UMC1820, but haven't popped for one yet.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #19
s wave

There are even a lot faster linux distros out there for older systems. (great to have you join the Reaper people El Diablo Ramon) I run similar set up (18.04) but with Mint 19. Other distros like Xfce, Lubuntu (w/ubuntu repositories), LXLE, Arch, Fedora core etc. For dums I have no problem sampling with ReaSamplomatic 5000 and using that as Drum Machine. tc
Old 12-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #20
EpicSounds

Quote:
SOUND CARD: Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre 8-Channel Mic Pre with ADAT Connectivity around $350 used from E-bay.
not a sound card/audio interface. this is just a mic preamp.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:57 AM   #21
foxAsteria

Laptop + Zoom recorder is cheap and flexible. The new Zooms can double as audio interface with built in stereo or mid-side mic.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #22
bublor

Default Reaper Ubuntu Studio

Ubuntu Studio 18.04 LTS
Using an older Lenovo Think Pad, has a 512 SSD and a 4 core Intel( old lappy from work )
Reaper Linux Version
Small Yamaha 10MG with a pair of peavey powered speakers for play back, paid about 100 bucks on craigslist for mixer and speakers.

Presonus 1818 VSL about $399 came with a MXL mic 990
Presonus Digimax D8 about $399

We get 16 channels of live input to record our practice sessions, and possible base tracks for recordings.

We use a Roland V-50 drum set with a snake for 10 channels of drum mix.
1 input for Vocal
2 inputs for bass guitar
2 inputs for keyboard and sampler
1 input for Guitar using MXL mic ( might switch to Pod so we can go mic less )
10 inputs of drums( basic 8 tracks then master l/r )

can record 16 tracks at 256 buffer, period 3 with jack and no xruns 44.1lhz, anything lower and I start to get xruns, but haven't tested if it has any effect.

Am probably going to add a midi signal into pre-sonus from v-drums for some after recording midi processing.

I switched to linux after my mac died, we could USB the drums straight in to the mac, but haven't been able to figure that out with linux yet, so thats why I picked up the digimax, very happy overall. A studio is a lot less happier now that we do it all

$399 for some more pre-amps vs whatever it would cost for a new mac( not happy with mac now that reaper is on linux ).

Digimax ADAT and BNC into Presonus 1818.
Presonus USB into Laptop, could use ALSA, but Jack allows me to route headphones to Presonus( out 7/8, took a bit to fiddle with it ).

Playing a little bit with Gentoo studio, but lots of fiddling with command line etc, doesn't seem to be worth it yet.

I would say $1000 with cables and hardware, minus the cost of a computer, I estimate that computer could be around $500.

P.S: Wanted to add the AVL linux has an incredible "Getting Started" manual. This alone is priceless, goes through all sorts of issues you might have with Jack etc. Even if you don't use AVL linux, this manual is worth a read.

Last edited by bublor; 01-05-2019 at 12:44 PM.
bublor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:44 PM   #23
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bublor View Post
Ubuntu Studio 18.04 LTS
Using an older Lenovo Think Pad, has a 512 SSD and a 4 core Intel( old lappy from work )
Reaper Linux Version
Small Yamaha 10MG with a pair of peavey powered speakers for play back, paid about 100 bucks on craigslist for mixer and speakers.

Presonus 1818 VSL about $399 came with a MXL mic 990
Presonus Digimax D8 about $399

We get 16 channels of live input to record our practice sessions, and possible base tracks for recordings.

We use a Roland V-50 drum set with a snake for 10 channels of drum mix.
1 input for Vocal
2 inputs for bass guitar
2 inputs for keyboard and sampler
1 input for Guitar using MXL mic ( might switch to Pod so we can go mic less )
10 inputs of drums( basic 8 tracks then master l/r )

can record 16 tracks at 256 buffer, period 3 with jack and no xruns 44.1lhz, anything lower and I start to get xruns, but haven't tested if it has any effect.

Am probably going to add a midi signal into pre-sonus from v-drums for some after recording midi processing.

I switched to linux after my mac died, we could USB the drums straight in to the mac, but haven't been able to figure that out with linux yet, so thats why I picked up the digimax, very happy overall. A studio is a lot less happier now that we do it all

$399 for some more pre-amps vs whatever it would cost for a new mac( not happy with mac now that reaper is on linux ).

Digimax ADAT and BNC into Presonus 1818.
Presonus USB into Laptop, could use ALSA, but Jack allows me to route headphones to Presonus( out 7/8, took a bit to fiddle with it ).

Playing a little bit with Gentoo studio, but lots of fiddling with command line etc, doesn't seem to be worth it yet.

I would say $1000 with cables and hardware, minus the cost of a computer, I estimate that computer could be around $500.

P.S: Wanted to add the AVL linux has an incredible "Getting Started" manual. This alone is priceless, goes through all sorts of issues you might have with Jack etc. Even if you don't use AVL linux, this manual is worth a read.
Thanks much I will read the AVL linux "Getting Started" manual. gl