Old 11-30-2019, 03:19 AM   #1
sinkmusic
Human being with feelings

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain
Default V6 Theme TCP Question

Hello,
I have been using the V6 pre-release, but not extensively yet, and i am quite surprised by the TCP layout.
(I didn't feel like posting this question into the main v6 theme thread, because i didn't try the new theme options deeply, so i am making a new thread, i hope it is the right thing to do ?)

One thing which surprises me with the new V6 theme is the somewhat "huge" empty space in the TCP, and the lack of displayed parameters, compared to the default v5 theme. Whatever dimension I resize it, it seems that there is always half of the TCP which is left empty, while it could (should ?) display things like track panning (which is one of the last thing displayed when we resize-up the TCP).
Am i missing something, or is it a design decision ?

Here are two screenshots :
1- Default V5 theme : the TCP displays :
- track name
- track volume
- track panning
- track routing
- mute/solo
- FX
- phase (polarity)
- envelope automation
- in
- monitoring
- vertic
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:22 AM   #2
sinkmusic

Default V6 Theme TCP Question

Hello,
I have been using the V6 pre-release, but not extensively yet, and i am quite surprised by the TCP layout.
(I didn't feel like posting this question into the main v6 theme thread, because i didn't try the new theme options deeply, so i am making a new thread, i hope it is the right thing to do ?)

One thing which surprises me with the new V6 theme is the somewhat "huge" empty space in the TCP, and the lack of displayed parameters, compared to the default v5 theme. Whatever dimension I resize it, it seems that there is always half of the TCP which is left empty, while it could (should ?) display things like track panning (which is one of the last thing displayed when we resize-up the TCP).

- track name
- track volume
- track panning
- track routing
- mute/solo
- FX
- phase (polarity)
- envelope automation
- in
- monitoring
- vertical vumeter

2- Default V6 theme : the TCP displays :
- track name
- track volume
- mute/solo
- FX
- envelope automation
- vertical vumeter
... and a big empty space

When i resize the TCP, I see that some more informations car be displayed, but :
1- it eats more screen space, and there are still empty space in the TCP;
2- Imho, the newly displayed features are the "set and forget ones" (like I/O routing), and not the ones you tweak constantly when mixing (Panning).

In the sscreenshot above, it seems to me that the empty space could be put to good use (as it was in V5)

At first, I thought it was because V6 was in early alpha stages, but i have read that it reached RC status, so i understand that everything should be in place and working as expected... So, am i missing something here ? I have tried to check various A,B,C templates and zoom ratios, but it didn't change anything.

- - -

Also, on a related note, i'm not getting used to the Loop button new position... Why did it change ?
Is there any easy way to have it where it used to be (after stop/play/pause/rec) ? Is it a matter of setting up and option (i haven't find it yet) ?

Last edited by sinkmusic; 11-30-2019 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:42 AM   #3
Zeno

That's a design decision.
The pan knob is not displayed as long as the mixer is visible. Recording input is only displayed if the recording button of the track is activated. etc.

Check the theme adjuster in the acion list to change the track layout and display rules

Last edited by Zeno; 11-30-2019 at 03:48 AM.
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:47 AM   #4
estux

Use the include script to decide what's hidden/shown

Show actions list -> Default 6.0 theme adjuster
estux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:54 AM   #5
sinkmusic

Thank you.
Was this design decision discussed in the pre-release forum at some point ?
I will look at the theme adjuster (I searched for it in the menu, and in option/preferences, but could not find it).
Old 11-30-2019, 04:00 AM   #6
estux

You have to open it through the actions list dialog (Actions -> Show actions list...), if it is not there, use the load button in the bottom right corner.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:08 AM   #7
sinkmusic

Ok, I have looked at the Theme Adjuster.
It's nice, but it still seems somewhat limited, and not able to "bring back" the regular TCP :
- You can set "HIDE", but not "VISIBLE", so there is no way to tell the Theme Adjuster that i want to SEE the panning knob (whatever the mixer is visible or not).
- Unless I am missing something, you can not give a priority or reorganize the elements being displayed by the TCP. For instance, I do care a lot about being able to tweak the panning from the TCP, but i do not need to see the routing all the time. I wish i could tell to the Theme adjuster to "always show" panning, and "if the size allows" only, display routing, with panning being more important to show than routing.

Also, it doesn't seem possible to move icons from the transport bar (i wish i could move the LOOP icon more to the right) ?
Old 11-30-2019, 04:45 AM   #8
estux

I can definitely make the pan knob visible...just make sure you are adjusting the layout you are using
Old 11-30-2019, 04:53 AM   #9
sinkmusic

Quote:
I can definitely make the pan knob visible...
I also can... if i increase the width of the TCP, and after several "low priority" (to my use, of course) icons have been displayed (like routing).

By the way, i managed to find a suitable tweak for the B layout (which is now my default) :

Still, I wish the user could setup "priority rules" for the items to be displayed, according to their needs. For instance, it would be great if, in the Theme adjuster, dragging the PANNING icon above the ROUTING icon cold give "higher display priority" to the panning, and a lower displya priority to the routing.
Or, i would be great if, instead of only "Always Hide", we could have a toggle "always hide / always show". At the moment, clicing in a row of the panel only allows for "hide".

Old 11-30-2019, 05:22 AM   #10
D Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Thank you.
Was this design decision discussed in the pre-release forum at some point ?
I will look at the theme adjuster (I searched for it in the menu, and in option/preferences, but could not find it).
I had same problem at first. This will defenitly need to be implemented in the menu at the final stage... I really recommend it.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:23 AM   #11
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Hello,

- track name
- track volume
- track panning
- track routing
- mute/solo
- FX
- phase (polarity)
- envelope automation
- in
- monitoring
- vertic
I only use the TCP and noticed that too. Seems not thought out.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:33 AM   #12
EvilDragon

Time to merge the threads, mods.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote