Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #41
Uoppi
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naquela View Post
Uoppi , i think your windows is crazy with so many changes in paths and configs so reaper gets crazy too.
Do you try rename the files vstplugins64.ini to vstplugins64.iii and the other ini files , so reaper create again the files ?
the vsts with no instalation (just copy the dll) work fine vs the instalation vst (that create more info and install in others paths) .
What do you mean "changes in paths"? There are only two paths: one for VST2 and the other for VST3, and those are what Reaper is set to scan. Clean-reinstalling Reaper (i.e. deleting the Roaming folder too, which by default won't get uninstalled) didn't help.

Last edited by Uoppi; 01-10-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #42
Uoppi

I have no technical expertise to know what this means exactly, but:
1. I open one particular project. Loads up fine.
2. I try to insert an Izotope Ozone 8 VST3 module on a track -> instant crash with a Reaper.exe-related runtime error popup (see attached screenshot!). This can be reproduced each and every time in said project. Doesn't happen with VST2. Reinstalling either Reaper or the Izotope plugins doesn't help anything.
3. I close Reaper and restart to a new project
4. I load the problematic project as a template into the new project (this is something I'm forced to resort to very often, can mess up track timings, doesn't include Master track etc.)
5. I try to reproduce step 2. It doesn't happen anymore: the plugin loads up fine
(Note: Plugins are verified to be scanned with their full names into the .ini file)

FWIW, I just realized Izotope installers install accompanying .dll's into its VST3 folder, some (most/all?) of which share similar names with Izotope VST2 .dlls. This leads to some of the .dll's not being scanned into the .ini by Reaper, because Reaper considers them duplicates. I'm not sure if Reaper is right in doing so or not because the numerical identification after the .dll name is different, i.e. they are different .dlls.

One "remedy" I'll try next is to replace all possible VST3's with VST2's in my projects. (EDIT: Except that I've had VST2's unable to load too...)
Attached Images
File Type: gif Reaper_error.gif (11.6 KB, 516 views)

Last edited by Uoppi; 01-11-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:35 AM   #43
ivansc

If you could save and post here a copy of the crashlog, it might help.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #44
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Windows error log says Plug & Mix Basspeg crashes as the Runtime error appears. Quite a surprise, because I expected Izotope is to blame.

So, after
1. removing Basspeg from the project,
2. removing the Basspeg .dll from the VST2 folder,
3. doing a rescan in Reaper,
4. verifying all plugins are scanned with their full names in the .ini file,
5. reloading the project: I suddenly get a prompt saying all of the Waves plugins in the project are missing, even though they worked just fine a few minutes before! (EDIT: On another launch, there are now also some Izotope plugins missing)
6. As a side note: I am able to insert the Izotope VST3 plugin now without the Runtime error. But nothing gets the Waves plugins back, apart from some inevitable cut and paste between projects (I can only hope)
EDIT2: When I insert the project as a template to a new project, all plugins are found again, as was expected. But soon this new project may start malfunctioning, and I will need to do the template cat-and-mouse trick once again to make things work for a little while.

It's like this, one random headache after the other. Every f*****g day. As something gets (presumably) fixed, something else that was working gets broken.

BTW: I also tried Reaper as portable install, even with an old version from last March. Didn't fix the incomplete scans.

Last edited by Uoppi; 01-11-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:31 AM   #45
ivansc

Old 10-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #46
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
I was able to pinpoint the issue, which I think is very serious and I'm surprised this has not gathered any responses here:

Very often a plugin is not working (or visible at all in Reaper's FX browser) because the scanned .dll information is only partly scanned into the reaper-vstplugins64.ini.

For example, a line that should read:

iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll=007266E01D6FD101,17 67523396,iZotope DDLY Dynamic Delay (iZotope, Inc.)

is truncated to simply

iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll=007266E01D6FD101

This can happen with several plugins quite haphazardly, not only with Izotope plugins. And not only vst2's, sometimes it's vst3's.

The DDLY in the above example almost always fails scanning but I've managed to make a backup of a completely scanned line, which I need to manually paste back into the reaper-vstplugins64.ini when it gets corrupted and obviously it's seriously killing my workflow having to quit and restart projects.
I noticed this post since the thread was linked from another more current thread, and also because what you described in this post has some similarity to something I'd dealt with.

I had trouble with Reaper not loading a plugin (Linux Reaper, Linux version of "Signalizer" VST plugin). An entry was created in reaper-vstplugins64.ini for Signalizer which only contained the first string of numbers.

Here's what Justin discovered about it:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=136

It's doubtful that the same thing affects your particular case (or anyone else's case) but it does point in a particular direction: Reaper is providing a hint that it can't load the plugin when it has an "incomplete entry" for the plugin within the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file. And, running Reaper from the command line may produce a report of some value in troubleshooting the issue (as it did in my case).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #47
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I noticed this post since the thread was linked from another more current thread, and also because what you described in this post has some similarity to something I'd dealt with.

I had trouble with Reaper not loading a plugin (Linux Reaper, Linux version of "Signalizer" VST plugin). An entry was created in reaper-vstplugins64.ini for Signalizer which only contained the first string of numbers.

Here's what Justin discovered about it:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=136

It's doubtful that the same thing affects your particular case (or anyone else's case) but it does point in a particular direction: Reaper is providing a hint that it can't load the plugin when it has an "incomplete entry" for the plugin within the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file. And, running Reaper from the command line may produce a report of some value in troubleshooting the issue (as it did in my case).
Hi James,

Thanks for ur post in the other thread I made.

This is the string of vst paths in the exact way they're added to my Reaper:

C:\Program Files\Steinberg;C:\Program Files\VSTPlugIns;C:\Program Files\VSTs;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit;C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Guitar Rig 4\VSTPlugins 64 bit;C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Plug-Ins V10;C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

My izotope vst3's and Melodyne.vst3 are in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and Reaper doesnt load them no matter what. Except Nectar.vst3

Now,

Only if I use the option "auto-detect" Reaper finds them!!

and these are the paths found by the "auto-detect" function:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns;C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

Why Reaper cannot find these VST3s when I add the path myself "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" in the Preference window??
Instead, it only finds them when I use the option "auto-detect"

I run Reaper from the command line but it didnt come any report.
saresu.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:55 AM   #48
ivansc

Hi! Unless you have really got a random scattering of plugins everywhere, can I suggest that you at least try to rationalise your plugin folders a bit? The first thing I noticed is that you have one reference to C:\Program Files\Steinberg, but the second one adds \ Vst Plugins. You only need one reference unless you really do have some vsts in the main steinberg folder. If I were you the FIRST thing I would do is to see if you cant reduce the number of almost identical VST folder references you have. Hard to trouble-shoot when you have so many similar places to look.
And before you tell me you dont want to discuss this, just report a bug to Cockos, we have already established to everyone elses satisfaction that you are experiencing a conflict in your setup, not a bug. Sorry iuf this sounds rude,it isnt meant to be.

FWIW here is mine.

C:\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\Vstplugins;C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\SONiVOX;C:\Program Files\Applied Acoustics Systems\VST Plug-ins;C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit;C:\Program Files\Scuffham Amps\S-Gear2;C:\Program Files\Solid State Logic;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Native Instruments\B4 II;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common files\vst3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\iZotope

I know I probably have redundant entries in there too, but this list successfully scans everything I own & works reliably every time, even when stuff is added or removed.
B4II I have on a separate listing because it went obsolete years ago & I wanted a quick easy way to get at it if anything caused it to finally die!

Last edited by ivansc; 10-15-2018 at 02:10 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #49
saresu.bass

Quote:
Hi! Unless you have really got a random scattering of plugins everywhere, can I suggest that you at least try to rationalise your plugin folders a bit? The first thing I noticed is that you have one reference to C:\Program Files\Steinberg, but the second one adds \ Vst Plugins. You only need one reference unless you really do have some vsts in the main steinberg folder. If I were you the FIRST thing I would do is to see if you cant reduce the number of almost identical VST folder references you have. Hard to trouble-shoot when you have so many similar places to look.
And before you tell me you dont want to discuss this, just report a bug to Cockos, we have already established to everyone elses satisfaction that you are experiencing a conflict in your setup, not a bug. Sorry iuf this sounds rude,it isnt meant to be.

FWIW here is mine.

C:\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\Vstplugins;C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\SONiVOX;C:\Program Files\Applied Acoustics Systems\VST Plug-ins;C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit;C:\Program Files\Scuffham Amps\S-Gear2;C:\Program Files\Solid State Logic;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Native Instruments\B4 II;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common files\vst3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\iZotope

I know I probably have redundant entries in there too, but this list successfully scans everything I own & works reliably every time, even when stuff is added or removed.
B4II I have on a separate listing because it went obsolete years ago & I wanted a quick easy way to get at it if anything caused it to finally die!

Finally someone!

"rationalize ur f%#&%g plugins folders!"...

It may seem too obvious now but I wish I could have received this advice long ago. Otherwise I wouldnt dare to try it.

New users should be aware to keep track of their vsts to avoid headaches and hours of frustration in the future. I've never bother to learn this kind of stuff cuz I didnt think that would be such an issue 9 years later.

I's suggest a small "warning about avoiding scattering vsts paths" section in the manual.

You solved my problem.

My man!

Thank you so much.
saresu.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:17 AM   #50
jesussaddle

This was actually a last resort and a miracle that I found this thread, and the OP's comment in my next reply below.

My issue was that after a purge-rescan of my vsts, I was suddenly not seeing Omnisphere as an available vst, and it wasn't showing in the .ini file. The file was there. My antivirus program was told Reaper is safe & allowed. So I was baffled.

What saved me was the comment by the helpful party above who suggested that having Reaper scan one file path at a time would solve the issue. This was true! What I did was remove the Spectrasonics path from the series of vst paths. Hit apply Do a rescan. Then add the Spectrasonics path back in. And hit apply. And do a rescan. Now Omnisphere was seen and became available.

Does this make sense why this would fix my issue (Reaper maybe biting off more than it could chew while switching directories and responding to user input of dialog buttons on errors during a scan perhaps)? If so, does it indicate a fix that could be used to prevent the issue (suddenly missing vsts that should by all accounts be found) from happening?

I don't drink yet so I really hope so.

Last edited by jesussaddle; 12-11-2018 at 02:24 AM.
jesussaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:23 AM   #51
jesussaddle

Quote:
Something is definitely broken in Reaper's scanning.

1. As long as I add one and only one VST (sub)folder at a time and close and restart Reaper each time so that it automatically scans the freshly added plugins, all plugin names are correctly written into the .ini file.

2. If Reaper tries to scan several (sub)folders in one go, it fails writing the full names of dozens of plugins into the .ini file. This happens with any manufacturer and for dozens of plugins, which sometimes are scanned properly and sometimes not. Native Instruments, Softube, Izotope, FXPansion - doesn't matter. Reaper may not report any errors during the scan. It appears Reaper is struggling when it needs to scan a larger quantity of plugins from several folders.

And because someone asked: I like to keep everything in my system up-to-date.
This is the comment I was referring to, by the OP.

Note that for me it didn't necessarily have to do with nested or repeated subfolders - it might simply be Reaper switching folders period while doing its thing (e.g. C:/Program Files/Spectrasonics; C:/Program Files(x86)/VST Plugins) I have both so its hard to say...

Last edited by jesussaddle; 12-11-2018 at 02:30 AM.
jesussaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:00 AM   #52
lanceaustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforssell View Post
The thing that solved my issues was to uninstall Reaper, then delete the AppData\Reaper folder and then reinstall Reaper. After adding the paths, the plugs turned up again.
Most excellent advice. After trying EVERYTHING the other posters suggested, in this and other threads- your method was the one that worked for me, too. Thanks!
lanceaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #53
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforssell View Post
The thing that solved my issues was to uninstall Reaper, then delete the AppData\Reaper folder and then reinstall Reaper. After adding the paths, the plugs turned up again.

I had some problems with x86 plugins not being found on v5.81, and I have to agree with lanceaustin regarding this : rforsell´s advice worked perfectly well in solving the issue...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:05 AM   #54
Rieslingmadness

Default Lost 3rd party Plug-ins

Ok. I have had similar problems with VST plugins oddly disappearing in between loadings of Reaper. Mostly if I did a clearcache/re-scan things would return.

I had most of my plug-ins in the Reaper plug-in folder. A couple of my favs would sometimes disappear. Then could be re-instated.

Just now, nothing would work to re-instate these VST's.

Reading this and another post on the subject, I am a bit confused about placement of 3rd party Plug-ins, I can't find any hard statements that 3rd party Plug-ins should not be placed in the Reaper Plug-in folder.

Anyhow, I placed these few strugglers into a seperate VST folder, and I placed this 'FIRST' in the plug-in path. THIS HAS WORKED.

I have only A few dozen imported VST plug-ins plus the supplied Reaper arsenal, compared to the many hundreds that some users have with a dozen or so folders also sharing the load.

I am thinking that TOO many in any single folder may be too much for a thorough scan.
And a scaling up of load from start to finish of a scan path may be a useful approach to alleviate the 'absconding' issue.

Cheers Dears
Rieslingmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:45 AM   #55
Spirit

Had to rebuild my test machine, so:
- clean w10 install
- install Reaper
- install 3 plugins to default location
- 2 show up

So:
- uninstall plugins
- create custom vst folder location
- only point Reaper at this
- again only 2 of 3 show up

Then:
- check vst ini file - incomplete string on failing plugin
- copy good string from other machine
- ini file automatically rewrites with incomplete string again

Then:
- uninstall / reinstall Reaper
- try same plugin on other Reaper PC (same versions etc), all perfect

I've gone through multiple iterations and versions of the above, all to no effect.

Absolutely stumped.
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #56
flowheimer

Default Same Problem Here

I recently installed REAPER on an old laptop (ThinkPad T520). Today I tried installing some plugins and found that it was hanging while loading certain ones. Came to the forum and found this thread.

The plugins failing to load are TSAR-1, Tube Delay, Drawmer S73 and Saturation Knob by Softube, and Freq Echo 64-bit by Valhalla DSP.

My ThinkPad P50 runs the same plugins without any issues. Each machine has the plugins installed to different folders (I'm less consistent about this than I used to be), and the P50 definitely has what you might call "plugin folder sprawl", with about 6 different VST folders. Despite this REAPER loads up and runs perfectly.

As you'd expect, reaper-vstplugins64.ini on the T520 has several truncated plugin names.
Oddly, the P50 also had a truncated line or two (for different plugins) but for some reason on this machine REAPER doesn't balk at the inconsistency.

Both machines are running REAPER 5.99. P50 is on Windows 10 1903; T520 is on 1809 (will upgrade tomorrow to 1909).

It would seem that there are some OS or hardware variables at play, here.

Last edited by flowheimer; 12-02-2019 at 03:02 PM.
flowheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #57
flowheimer

Well, I updated the T520 to Windows 10 1909 but the problem persists.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #58
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
Had to rebuild my test machine, so:
- clean w10 install
- install Reaper
- install 3 plugins to default location
- 2 show up

So:
- uninstall plugins
- create custom vst folder location
- only point Reaper at this
- again only 2 of 3 show up

Then:
- check vst ini file - incomplete string on failing plugin
- copy good string from other machine
- ini file automatically rewrites with incomplete string again

Then:
- uninstall / reinstall Reaper
- try same plugin on other Reaper PC (same versions etc), all perfect

I've gone through multiple iterations and versions of the above, all to no effect.

Absolutely stumped.
Updated to Reaper 6 and this problem disappeared
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #59
flowheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowheimer View Post

It would seem that there are some OS or hardware variables at play, here.
Or, it could simply be that I'm an idiot.

I didn't realize / I forgot that the Softube bundle I have is iLok-protected. I authenticated them on the T520 and Reaper now loads them without crashing.

You'd think the plugs would load either way and then remind you to authenticate like every other plugin ever but what fun would that be.

Anyway, problem solved.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #60
DarrenH

Just adding another voice here. This happens to me regularly on my Win10 machine, but not my other slower machine (Win7). They both access the same VST folders in the cloud. I found your post and checked, sure enough some specific plugins are truncated in vstplugins64. In my case they're 32-bit, either Digilogue's Blue Line plugins or Ultrafunk plugins. Admittedly they're old plugins. But they function correctly when they do scan, and not all my vintage 32-bit plugins have this issue.

I had wondered whether adding (x86) to the plugin name would make a difference. It hasn't so far.

Is there a chance the faster machine has a shorter timeout for checking plugins, or that something about the code of those plugins creates an unacceptable lag for the faster machine?

Would be interested to know if this is a common issue and why, specifically with certain plugins.

Quote:
This started happening a few months ago following a Reaper (Win x64) update. Or maybe it could have something to do with Windows 10 Creator's Update, can't say (it was before the Creator's Fall Update, in any case). This never happened before for many years, as far as I recall. (Reaper checks for updates at program start and I always keep the software up-to-date.)

1. Very often when re-scanning the plugins to reaper-vstplugins64.ini, I run into errors about .dll's not being found or some required part missing etc. Usually it's some VST2 plugin, occasionally Waveshell VST3 won't get scanned successfully.

2. For example, I spent literally hours to get Reaper to recognize Izotope's DDLY VST(2) plugin (VST3 was always found properly). Uninstalling and re-installing the plugin did nothing, re-scanning in Reaper always failed.

Finally, looking at the error message, I concluded that the components iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll and iZDDLY.dll might be in the "wrong" order inside reaper-vstplugins64.ini. So, I manually edited the .dll's to appear the other way around in the .ini, and lo and behold, Reaper now could import them!

Reaper should obviously not be reporting a component is missing when it in fact is right there inside the reaper-vstplugins64.ini after the supposedly failed scan. Shouldn't Reaper wait until the whole plugins folder is scanned before concluding some required component is missing?

3. The most perplexing part: when, after a lot of frustration and manual editing, I managed to get the cache re-scanned without any errors, I (wisely) made a backup of reaper-vstplugins64.ini. Sometimes now when loading a project, some previously working plugin simply won't load. The plugin is shown in the track's FX bay but it's in an unsable state.

So,
a) I close Reaper,
b) replace reaper-vstplugins64.ini with my backup version,
c) after restarting Reaper, all plugins always load ok in the same project that had just failed.

How can that be when the contents of both reaper-vstplugins64.ini files (the replaced one and the backup) are completely identical, line for line?

Last edited by DarrenH; 01-05-2020 at 03:19 PM.
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #61
BirdBird

Anyone has a solution for this? I am currently getting truncated names in the .ini file and nothing seems to be getting the plugins to load correctly.

Edit: I installed a few more plugins and restarted my computer, and now the plugins get scanned and load correctly, my guess is something in there installed a library that certain plugins required for loading.

Last edited by BirdBird; 06-24-2020 at 10:56 PM.
BirdBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:54 AM   #62
Smokehead

Currently running into this problem the first time.

I've set up a fresh-install win10 machine, installed reaper and a set of plugins (UAD, FabFilter, Plugin Alliance). The UAD as well as the FabFilter stuff works fine and is detected immediately.

Plugin Alliance isn't detected that well. There should be about 14 plugins but only 3 appear. All the bx_console stuff isn't visible. The *.ini file shows all of them but most of them without any name/string at the end.

My setup:
  • Thinkpad T480
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Reaper v6.13/x64

So it seems like it's not fixed yet. On a Macbook Pro 2019 (Catalina 10.15.6) using the same version of reaper everything is fine.

I'm hoping for some news about this too ..

Cheers,
Smokehead
Smokehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #63
cwreaper

In my case, I tracked the problem down primarily (perhaps exclusively) to "duplicate" plugins in different folders. I use quotes around duplicates because I can't determine whether they are literally bit-for-bit duplicates as in duplicate 32-bit, duplicate 64-bit OR duplicates where one is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit.

It seems like once a duplicate is encountered, Reaper freaks out. I'm wondering if it has something to do with Reaper's:

"If multiple VSTs are scanned with the same dll name, only one will be available: either the plugin found later in the path list, or highest in the directory structure for the given path." as noted on the Preferences VST page.

Here's an example of Melodyne getting broken. The first instance is correct. When the duplicate is found, the first instance gets removed and replaced by the "bad" instance.
Melodyne.vst3=00462192E37DD501,214222609,Melodyne (Celemony)
Melodyne.vst3=00F46DBFE37DD501

The worst offenders for me were the MeldaProduction plugins. Fine plugins but it seems that I have all kinds of duplicates, I think as a result of not accepting their default installation folders. I think they installed in both the default folder and the new folder I selected - I had no idea until I experienced this problem.

Anyway, removing the duplicates and tidying up my VST folders helped tremendously to correct this issue. I still think this is a Reaper bug. Cakewalk, for example, has no issue with duplicates.

I should also mention that I would also occasionally get a
"VST scanning error + note" scanning Melodyne.vst3. I think it's unrelated but frustrating nonetheless.

Last edited by cwreaper; 09-14-2020 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Adding additional information
cwreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #64
Hypercaffium

I'm having the same "issue" with iZotope iZVinyl.dll which appears in the "Plug-ins that failed to scan" list under Preferences/VST/Rescan button.
It's not really a problem because the plugin works and I don't get any notification when I start Reaper, but I'm curious about this odd behavior.
Hypercaffium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #65
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypercaffium View Post
I'm having the same "issue" with iZotope iZVinyl.dll which appears in the "Plug-ins that failed to scan" list under Preferences/VST/Rescan button.
It's not really a problem because the plugin works and I don't get any notification when I start Reaper, but I'm curious about this odd behavior.
I think this is because of their weird way of doing vst3 plugins
everything else in my VST3 folder has .vst3 extension.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #66
Edgemeal

Ya just ignore those iZotope DLL fails (unless plugins don't work of course), they seem to be used for authorizing, If you open one in Resource Hacker you can see the dialogs and stuff used to authorize the plugin.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 02-19-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:56 PM   #67
boolin

I'm having the same problem with these.

They all make the 'plugins-failed to scan' list at preferences > vst.

Grace.dll=0049A6E5B7BDD101
ValhallaFreqEcho_x64.dll=004B2814821AD001
TAL_Bitcrusher.dll=8BC66C4F890DD701
Neo_Piano_mini_x64.dll=6C3A56D48871D001

* all have been re-installed
* vst path cache cleared
* re-scanned

Still showing up on the failed to scan list.

Anyone have further tips for troubleshooting VST loading?

Thanks!
boolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #68
timmdrumm

Default Same issue here after updating to 6.25

Several .vst3s fail to scan. Lots of Slate stuff, Izotope, and others. All were previously working.

Uninstalled, reinstalled, clear cache/rescan, nothing works. Any ideas?

I'm running Windows 7 x64
timmdrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:36 PM   #69
bistrob

Default Same issue here after updating to 6.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrumm View Post
Several .vst3s fail to scan. Lots of Slate stuff, Izotope, and others. All were previously working.

Most of my plugins are Native Instruments because I have Komplete. When I did a Reaper plugin scan (not sure if this was after an update to 6.24 or 6.25) I had several of my plugins truncated from the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file. Probably about a dozen, but the rest of them were found.

I then tried to load up the same plugins from Maschine, and even that program could not load the instruments in question and it's all within the Native Instruments ecosystem. The synth FM8 even has a standalone program that would no longer run. So what I ended up doing was reinstalling FM8 from Native Access. It was again able to run standalone and from Maschine. The next time I ran the Reaper plugin scan it found everything and did not truncate anything within reaper-vstplugins64.ini. I have no idea what was going on, but my stuff is working again.
bistrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:36 PM   #70
boolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrumm View Post

Hey timmdrumm.

You didn't mention that you dealt with the Appdata folder. If you haven't yet, then you probably should include that step, just to be thorough.

Appdata is where Reaper stores it's working config files (ie. all your settings).

The path to this folder is usually:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\REAPER

Your best bet is to simply close, Reaper, rename the Appdata REAPER folder (REAPER-2021-04-04 is pretty sensible), then reopen Reaper.

Reaper will then recreate this settings folder.

You may also care to first export the Reaper Config files via REAPER > File Menu > Export Configuration.

Reinstallation of earlier settings can be done by manually moving files between the different Appdata folders or automagically via the checkboxes in the Import Configuration command.

Hope this works for you.
boolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #71
axeman

Default just started experiencing this problem (REAPER 5.99 on Win 7/64)

Greetings,

While I have been rather aggressive in adding more plugins than I should probably have, everything was quite stable until yesterday. Upon installing a few new VSTs, odd things started happening--including some existing VSTs getting rescanned on startup. I ended up finding this thread and tried both deleting and re-adding VST folders--then backing up my "appdata" folder, uninstalling REAPER, reinstalling REAPER from a fresh download (of v5.99 again), and the same thing happened when I loaded the VST paths back in.

After this, various plugins started disappearing and, inspecting my "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" file, I see quite a few lines that are truncated at what should be the first comma (and I believe all these are missing).

I see a total of 963 plugins listed (964 lines in total with the header line) and I believe at least some of them are duplicated in 32- and 64-bit, though plugin that disappeared today is not. It kind of feels like I hit some kind of threshold of VST plugin quantity that triggered the issue and I will eventually try to slim down on some plugins I don't think I'll use again.

All that being said, I'm hoping there's some kind of reasonable workaround to get all the plugins back up and working again before going through the lengthy process of purging everything. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes,

Alan
axeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:20 PM   #72
axeman

Default repairing VC++ 2013 didn't help either

Hi again,

Based on further searches I found several other threads referencing reinstalling Micrsoft Visual C++ 2013, so I tried installing the corresponding update from here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-95f26a218cc0

I only installed this piece:

Visual Studio 2013 (VC++ 12.0)
Download the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013. This is the latest supported Visual C++ redistributable package for Visual Studio 2013.

I tried the x64 first, but that didn't work. Did the same for the x86 and it still didn't help. Ended up having to copy back my (already corrupted) Appdata folder and am now back where I started--with lots of missing VSTs and truncated lines in the "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" file, even after deleting at least one 64-bit VST directory, adding it back, and rescanning.

UPDATE: I ended up installing all possible versions this morning and the problem persists (seemingly with the same plugins, at least one of which I believe is a VST3 that I'm not aware leverages Microsoft Visual C++).

Again, any guidance to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes,

Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman View Post
Greetings,

While I have been rather aggressive in adding more plugins than I should probably have, everything was quite stable until yesterday. Upon installing a few new VSTs, odd things started happening--including some existing VSTs getting rescanned on startup. I ended up finding this thread and tried both deleting and re-adding VST folders--then backing up my "appdata" folder, uninstalling REAPER, reinstalling REAPER from a fresh download (of v5.99 again), and the same thing happened when I loaded the VST paths back in.

After this, various plugins started disappearing and, inspecting my "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" file, I see quite a few lines that are truncated at what should be the first comma (and I believe all these are missing).

I see a total of 963 plugins listed (964 lines in total with the header line) and I believe at least some of them are duplicated in 32- and 64-bit, though plugin that disappeared today is not. It kind of feels like I hit some kind of threshold of VST plugin quantity that triggered the issue and I will eventually try to slim down on some plugins I don't think I'll use again.

All that being said, I'm hoping there's some kind of reasonable workaround to get all the plugins back up and working again before going through the lengthy process of purging everything. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes,

Alan

Last edited by axeman; 05-03-2021 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #73
axeman

Default FIXED: deleted two problem VSTs & all seem OK

Hi again,

After doing more searches and trying to manipulate the "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" file, clear/re-scan VSTs, and a few other things, I finally had a breakthrough:

1. Using the "Auto-Detect" feature removed an existing 64-bit VST path and that seemed to make missing plugins reappear
2. Adding each missing folder back and analyzing the FX list and updated "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" file, I noticed that the addition of one folder (where a lot of my newer 64-bit VSTs are) invoked the issue again.
3. Looking at the "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" file again, I noticed two newly installed synth VSTs right above several lines of VSTs that were truncated/not showing up and deleted both.
4. After relaunching REAPER once again, all the missing plugins seemed to show up OK.

NOTE: There are a very small number (possibly only two) of lines in the updated "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" file that look truncated, instead of something like 50 or more. I don't think I've used any of these, so all should be OK (though I noticed that projects referencing corrupted/truncated lines still seemed to load their plugins OK.

For the record, the two synth VSTs I deleted to resolve the problem:

1. Defiant WT v2
2. ModulAir (with accompanying modulairfx64.dll)

Lastly, for the sake of completeness, I should note that I'm still running Windows 7 (64-bit) on this PC.

This was a pretty difficult troubleshooting process, so I thought I'd share the outcome in case it helps anyone else.

Cheers,

Alan
Old 10-11-2021, 04:41 PM   #74
derita

I'm having the same issues here, and I've tried most of the things specified in this thread, but none of this has worked for me.

I'll link a post I did earlier today specifying my situation, in hopes of finding a solution, because I don't want to have to format my PC as I can't do that '-n-

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2487598

I'm really frustrated at this point haha I really need this plugins to be working again and I have spent a lot of time (+10hrs) trying to fix this to no avail.

I'll be reading the posts in this thread again, and keep you updated if I find a solution!

-derita
derita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:25 AM   #75
ivansc

Worth pointing out that this thread is about four YEARS old.

So much has changed in that time, but the actual method for listing the plugin locations has not.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:11 AM   #76
derita

Default Update: I "fixed" it

Yeah.
Guess what.
I had to format my pc and reinstall Windows.

I'm ultra frustrated. I spent a lot of money on an external drive to make a backup.

I hope this reaches some REAPER dev so no one else has to take part on this hell of an issue.

-derita
Old 11-06-2021, 06:31 PM   #77
3FRS

My scenario:
switched to W11 from 7;
some of the VoS plugins disappeard;
back to a fresh W7 install with only the VoS installed, and during the scan a message appeared asking for the MSVCR120.dll presence;
googled and found the .dll in the "Visual C++ Redistributable Package - Visual Studio 2013" (KB3138367 as stated by microsoft);
Clean cache and rescan, and the Vos now are ok.

Hope to be useful for you...

3frs
3FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #78
Bertrand H

Quote:
Worth pointing out that this thread is about four YEARS old.

So much has changed in that time, but the actual method for listing the plugin locations has not.
It's a major issue. For month now I see my plugins disappearing randomly. Today a plugin I just bought cannot be installed properly (truncated.ini etc..). Its impossible for me to make recalls from previous mixs. I loose valuable tools and money. Reaper Have to solve this!
I tried everything listed in the related threads on my mac (VST moves, clear-rescans, previous versions of reaper,...) Nothing is working for me and I'm sure very frustrated by this program now.
Bertrand H is offline   Reply With Quote