Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Default Lounge now with password ("lounge")

Hi guys,

in an attempt improve everyone's life in and out (e.g. in the "New Posts" list) of the lounge, the lounge is now "password protected".

The password is: lounge.

We think this gives everyone an easy way to opt in and out* of the lounge and unless you entered it deliberately, you don't have to see what's going on in there (e.g. in the "New Posts" search shortcut).

Of course this doesn't change the simple rules and doesn't mean they don't apply in there anymore, but it should also preserve the freedom it's known for while not becoming a burden for the rest of the forum. Thank you for your understanding.

*To hide the lounge threads again after you entered the password, either set your browser to not keep cookies and restart it, or delete the 'cockosbbforumpwd' cookie from the cookie list in your browser.

Last edited by Ollie; 09-01-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Artbay
Human being with feelings

sounds good
Old 08-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
planetnine

That's an elegant solution...

>
Old 08-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Cosmic

Thats pure decent..

..for a min there I thought it was just me.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
timlloyd

Thank you Ollie, MN and the other moderators.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
ivansc

very wise. maybe that will help me spend oops WASTE less time in there.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Lawrence

Agree. That will remind / encourage me to stay out.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Jae.Thomas

can we please have a lounge or section specifically for music related things, however? Because where to buy tubes and "why i support X candidate" don't really fall into the same category, right?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
can we please have a lounge or section specifically for music related things, however? Because where to buy tubes and "why i support X candidate" don't really fall into the same category, right?
BINGO!!!!!! That would really be ideal IMO as well.

"General music chat" or some such.

Jedi
Old 08-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Lawrence

Quote:
Because where to buy tubes and "why i support X candidate" don't really fall into the same category, right?
Well, unless you support the candidate because he sells good tubes.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
run, megalodon

Good idea. You might want to note the password in the forum title so that people new to the forums don't get confused if they miss this thread.

Last edited by run, megalodon; 08-28-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: clarity
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Cosmic

Quote:
can we please have a lounge or section specifically for music related things, however? Because where to buy tubes don't really fall into the shame category, right?
Freudian fix?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
Sambo Rouge

Nice one Ollie,

Things were getting a bit heavy at times --- this is a simple fix.

Thanks.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

It wasn't my idea. My plans for the lounge involved an application form with 53 pages and an animal shelter.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
lxm

Quote:
+1. im usually posting recording/gear related stuff in the lounge.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
Billoon

Thanks guys.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #17
run, megalodon

Quote:
Maybe that stuff fits in with Recording Technologies and Techniques, and a slight name change to that forum could make it so?
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
Kundalinguist

So you admit that you support Israel?

If you don't get that one...you had to be there.

[Here's to happier lounging.]
Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #19
g8torcliff

I guess now we'll see who the "bots" were and who's for real....

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 AM   #20
Viente

great!
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #21
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanaya David View Post
Its a software. and recording sound...
Its the most awesome development in audio production since the wax cylinder..

And recording sound..IS LIFE

Good Job!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #22
kindafishy

I can appreciate the thinking behind this change, but I don't like it. I liked seeing a lot of the stuff in the lounge, and simply ignored other things.

Why not put the lounge back to what it was, and add a new (or sub) forum called 'The Soapbox' or something to that effect for conspiracy/political/debate topics that has the password thing on it? Then the mods can simply make judgement calls to move stuff there as they see fit.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #23
mabian

Question: is there a way to "logout" from the lounge without logging out the whole forum?

Thanks,
Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #24
Andy Hamm

Quote:
Why not a musician's longe, a tech lounge and the Seedy lounge then?

That way the musicians can talk about off subject musician stuff, techs can talk about important stuff and the lounge can just be the distraction it allways has been?
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #25
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
Question: is there a way to "logout" from the lounge without logging out the whole forum?

Thanks,
Mario
Wondering this myself.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
Lawrence

This is the best idea ever for a off-topic lounge where socio-political / religious discussions happen. Really it is.

Some (like me ) kinda want and even try to stay out but seeing some of the topics just kinda pulls us in to read and then you go (to yourself ) "Argh!" and get invovled in the latest cycle of the thing that's been discussed to death 10,000,000 times already.

What can I say, some of us are too easily tempted.

Having to login a second time to even see anything there makes it a definitive conscious choice, and not an accident, to see the latest ramblings about Isreal's plan to dominate the universe or whatever. Honestly, some of the thread titles are designed to make you curious about the content, so just seeing the thread title is sometimes tempting to read.

Best... idea... ever. So simple, yet... so effective.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #27
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
This is the best idea ever for a off-topic lounge where socio-political / religious discussions happen. Really it is.

Some (like me ) kinda want and even try to stay out but seeing some of the topics just kinda pulls us in to read and then you go (to yourself ) "Argh!" and get invovled in the latest cycle of the thing that's been discussed to death 10,000,000 times already.

Having to login a second time to even see anything there makes it a definitive conscious choice, and not an accident, to see the latest ramblings about Isreal's plan to dominate the universe or whatever. Honestly, some of the thread titles are designed to make you curious about the content, so just seeing the thread title is sometimes tempting to read.

I couldn't agree more. It's like I have to consciously decide to waste my time now.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #28
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
I can appreciate the thinking behind this change, but I don't like it. I liked seeing a lot of the stuff in the lounge, and simply ignored other things.

Why not put the lounge back to what it was, and add a new (or sub) forum called 'The Soapbox' or something to that effect for conspiracy/political/debate topics that has the password thing on it? Then the mods can simply make judgement calls to move stuff there as they see fit.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you enter the password, when you hit "new posts" it will behave exactly as it did before for you. No?

UPDATE!

I just checked and if you enter the password "new posts" will include the lounge. Otherwise it doesn't. Love it.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #29
Lawrence

Just not ever entering the lounge password at all will work pretty well for me, keep me out of there permanently.

Like not regularly going to titty bars kinda actually does help you to stay faithful to your woman.

Satan, why dost thou tempt me?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #30
kindafishy

Quote:

But it also means that if you are a person who likes to see "Who is your favourite guitarist?" and "What are you listening to right now?", you have to agree to see things like "Eating baby cows is no different than eating baby humans" bullshit.

How is this the best idea?

I think the idea is sort of okay in a relative way, but how it plays out in practice is donkey balls.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #31
karbomusic

Quote:
"Eating baby cows is no different than eating baby humans"
People gotta eat!

On a more serious note, if a person can't help but be sucked in, its a bit of a personal control problem. There was already a special link built to not show lounge posts with the added irony that half of those people loving that idea still show up in the lounge.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-29-2012 at 10:19 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #32
Lawrence

@Kindafishy: I meant the best idea for that kinda non-music related stuff... if you are going to have a place for that stuff, where people argue and debate everything on the planet and annoy each other about politics and religion and all that.

Jason made a very a good point (imo) about a specific off topic lounge for music related stuff. That one wouldn't have to be hidden from view would it?

I mean, if you're going to actually have a specific "everything goes, discuss / argue whatever you want unrelated to music" place (and some mfg forums don't even really have that), that's the best idea I've seen for that... mmv.

Although people do occasionally go off-topic a little at times everywhere, I can't say I've been to many DAW manufacturer forums where there are multiple (multiple) thread titles about various social or political issues where people are arguing about it... threads that actually begin there.

Last edited by Lawrence; 08-29-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #33
kindafishy

Quote:
@Kindafishy: I meant the best idea for that kinda non-music related stuff... if you are going to have a place for that stuff, where people argue and debate everything on the planet and annoy each other about politics and religion and all that.

Jason made a very a good point (imo) about a specific off topic lounge for music related stuff. That one wouldn't have to be hidden from view would it?

I mean, if you're going to actually have a specific "everything goes, discuss / argue whatever you want unrelated to music" place (and some mfg forums don't even really have that), that's the best idea I've seen for that... mmv.

Although people do occasionally go off-topic a little at times everywhere, I can't say I've been to many DAW manufacturer forums where there are multiple (multiple) thread titles about various social or political issues where people are arguing about it.
Yes, sorry, I think we agree.

We need a soap box lounge and a normal lounge.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #34
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
People gotta eat!

On a more serious note, if a person can't help but be sucked in, its a bit of a personal control problem. There was already a special link built to not show lounge posts with the added irony that half of those people loving that idea still show up in the lounge.
It is a personal control issue, agree. (Like I said earlier, some of us are too easily tempted. ) But I won't be one of those people showing up. That little tiny barrier will help my self control.

Anyway, good idea (imo, mmv, yada, yada). We probably shouldn't argue about that also , whether it's a good idea or not. Just an opinion.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #35
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Just not ever entering the lounge password at all will work pretty well for me, keep me out of there permanently.

Like not regularly going to titty bars kinda actually does help you to stay faithful to your woman.

Satan, why dost thou tempt me?
Yeah. The two of us can just hang in this thread until one of us brings up Hit**

Nope. I didn't say it. :•)
Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #36
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
But it also means that if you are a person who likes to see "Who is your favourite guitarist?" and "What are you listening to right now?", you have to agree to see things like "Eating baby cows is no different than eating baby humans" bullshit.

How is this the best idea?

I think the idea is sort of okay in a relative way, but how it plays out in practice is donkey balls.
Maybe it's not "best" but it is better. It still works the old way if you preferred that.

Although I wouldn't mind a music related lounge but where does it end?

Which lounge gets the "What are you listening to right now?" and which one gets the "Britney Suxx"? They're both music related.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #37
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post

Guilty as charged!!!

But that link was still helpful. sometimes I would search new posts without the lounge and sometimes with. Depending on how much goofing off I felt like doing.

This will actually help me though.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #38
Kenny Gioia

What is wrong with the General Forum for some of those discussions?

REAPER General Discussion Forum (276 Viewing)
This is a forum to discuss all aspects of REAPER, and life.

Wouldn't "What are you listening to right now" go under "Life"?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #39
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
What is wrong with the General Forum for some of those discussions?

REAPER General Discussion Forum (276 Viewing)
This is a forum to discuss all aspects of REAPER, and life.

Wouldn't "What are you listening to right now" go under "Life"?
It was just an example.

But, as you point out, maybe we already have what we need. Maybe a mod just needs to go through and put all the debate type stuff in the lounge and everything else in general.

There is a clear and obvious distinction between what should go where.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #40
karbomusic

Quote:
It is a personal control issue, agree. (Like I said earlier, some of us are too easily tempted. ) But I won't be one of those people showing up. That little tiny barrier will help my self control.

Anyway, good idea (imo, mmv, yada, yada). We probably shouldn't argue about that also , whether it's a good idea or not. Just an opinion.
Well you are not doing too good right now mister. Everyone rubbernecks at accidents eventually.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote